How Can I Marry A Thai Guy ?

steven100

Hi all,

I am perplexed as to the easiest & most convenient way to marry a thai BF.

I realise it is not possible in Thailand , and another problem is the thai BF cannot travel to another country.

Is there any other way to marry other than travel outside thailand ??

Can you submit doc's by mail or email to another country ??

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers. :o

There was a thread here last year. Brits can marry in Hanoi/Saigon--to a Thai BF or anyone--the Brit embassy registers the partnership. Once you are married, you still need to apply for visas to the UK for the spouse, like a het couple.

For yanks, I don't know the outlook. Same for frogs and krauts. I am a limey myself.

Do a search on here. I think the poster was Paul. Check my posts history, cos I may have replied to him.

The process seems OK but complex--you have to stay a while in Vietnam and stuff, like "posting the banns"

P Eddy

The British Embassy in Thailand will not carry out same sex civil partnerships as they are not recognised in Thailand so if you are British your only option is to travel to another country. It should be obviosu that posted documents are not acceptable for a multitude of reasons not least the identity of the people submitting them.

Reading this topic, the question I want answered is WHY do you want to Marry a Thai Guy ????

Are you in a long-term relationship with each other? How long have you known each other? If you really want to follow through, by all means re-read Paul Eddy's reply.

Cheers, Peter.

I believe that two reasons exist way a Thai may not be able to leave the country. 1) Called for, or currently serving in the military. 2) Having served a sentence in prison.

Aside from that, Brits can indeed "marry" their partners at the British Embassy in Hanoi (as I did last year), or at the British Consulate in Ho Chi Minh. Quite a few couples based in Thailand have made the trip. As correctly mentioned, it can't be done at the Bangkok embassy.

Hi all,

I am perplexed as to the easiest & most convenient way to marry a thai BF.

I realise it is not possible in Thailand , and another problem is the thai BF cannot travel to another country.

Is there any other way to marry other than travel outside thailand ??

Can you submit doc's by mail or email to another country ??

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers. :D

HMMMMMMM!! From what I have been reading about the Thai Ladies as of late you might very well be better off with a Thai Guy(?) To each his OWN!! :o:D

Reading this topic, the question I want answered is WHY do you want to Marry a Thai Guy ????

Are you in a long-term relationship with each other? How long have you known each other? If you really want to follow through, by all means re-read Paul Eddy's reply.

Cheers, Peter.

I can never understand this desire to marry. Go straight if you want to marry.

I am not (or wasn't) a strong advocate of marriage, but as I get older I am starting to see things a little differently. I've been with my partner for many, many years. He can't (easily) get a visa to my country. If I become sick or die, he has to no automatic rights to inheritance etc. This was perfectly fine for a long time, however, since the death of a relative who left me a significant amount of land/money, that has changed.

My family is in a struggle over these resources and any attempt to pass them on to a non-relative will be challenged in court. What do you think the chances of an unmarried single Thai male would have of winning in a court in the USA, where he may not be awarded a visa?

Since this is complicated by laws in 2 countries, it seems that 'marriage' or a civil union is the only easy way to solve the situation.

By the way, in the last 20 years or so, I think the straight folks out that have pretty well trashed the 'sanctity of marriage' anyway!

The British Embassy in Thailand will not carry out same sex civil partnerships as they are not recognised in Thailand so if you are British your only option is to travel to another country. It should be obviosu that posted documents are not acceptable for a multitude of reasons not least the identity of the people submitting them.

It's strange that the British Embassy in Thailand will not carry out civil partnerships as it would be good revenue, but that's indeed the case and will not change any time soon.

You can do it in Britain after getting a fiance visa (or the equivalent, same visa different name) or a number of British embassies around the world.

These are

Australia*Croatia*South AfricaVenezuelaBelarusIsrael*Switzerland*VietnamColombiaJapanTurkmenistan Costa RicaMoldovaUnited States*

You have to spend about 3 weeks in the country to complete the process. Search the forum as this has been covered before. Obviously it will be more practical to go to Vietnam (no visa required for Thai nationals AFAIK) than the USA, or Turkmenistan for example. Of course you have to do it in person, no mail-order marriage certificates!

Most answers are on this website: http://ukinvietnam.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-...il-partnerships

i believe the easiest way to marry is in south africa- visa free for thais and same-sex marriage between foreigners is allowed. next would be canada or a few of the european countries. australia apparently has just expanded same-sex rights:

http://www.migrationexpert.com/Australia/V...ame-Sex_Couples

there is a bill currently forming in the U.S. congress for same-sex immigration rights (right to get fiance visa, etc) which yes, has been proposed and failed many times before, but has Obama's support this time and may actually stand a chance:

http://www.gaywired.com/Article.cfm?ID=21893

Cheers, Peter.

agree.... its an outdated and over rated arrangement for those who are very insecure about their relationship

i believe the easiest way to marry is in south africa- visa free for thais and same-sex marriage between foreigners is allowed. next would be canada or a few of the european countries. australia apparently has just expanded same-sex rights:

http://www.migrationexpert.com/Australia/V...ame-Sex_Couples

there is a bill currently forming in the U.S. congress for same-sex immigration rights (right to get fiance visa, etc) which yes, has been proposed and failed many times before, but has Obama's support this time and may actually stand a chance:

http://www.gaywired.com/Article.cfm?ID=21893

have a friend in melbourbe aus. that got married a couple of years ago in a civil union service and very happy about it...... just about to adopt a child which is ok there ... to each his own

I believe that two reasons exist way a Thai may not be able to leave the country. 1) Called for, or currently serving in the military. 2) Having served a sentence in prison.

Aside from that, Brits can indeed "marry" their partners at the British Embassy in Hanoi (as I did last year), or at the British Consulate in Ho Chi Minh. Quite a few couples based in Thailand have made the trip. As correctly mentioned, it can't be done at the Bangkok embassy.

Hi pauln , your two reasons are speculation only.

My thai BF cannot travel mainly because of his work situation, he cannot get a week or two off as would be needed. He may be able to get 3-4 days maximum. Also, I am Australian & not British ... as I understand it...Brits can go to Vietnam & marry. correct ??

Cheers, Peter.

agree.... its an outdated and over rated arrangement for those who are very insecure about their relationship

I would argue with that. I've been in the same stable relationship for 25 years without ever thinking about marriage. A someone else mentioned, things change as you get older. I want my partner to have legal rights to my pension and property if I die before him, and a civil partnership (as the Brits call it) was the answer. It made no difference to the very strong bond we have had for years, but gives my partner rights he did not have before.

Hi pauln , your two reasons are speculation only.

My thai BF cannot travel mainly because of his work situation, he cannot get a week or two off as would be needed. He may be able to get 3-4 days maximum. Also, I am Australian & not British ... as I understand it...Brits can go to Vietnam & marry. correct ??

I did not mean to imply anything, but as your OP was not clear and a question was asked, I suggested two reason that do exist in law. I apologize if you were offended. And yes, Brits can marry in Vietnam, as I have done.