Alternative Countries To Retire To!

homeless007

Hi there

With such a broad mixture of nationalities represented on TV, I would like to ask for some feedback on alternative retirement destinations.

Looking for an affordable country with a monthly budget of about 150'000 Baht. Certainly visa requirements are an important point. Also sun, beach, fishing, boating and some nightlife and holiday atmosphere are part of the dream.

Thank you for any ideas I can then follow up! :o

WW.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there

With such a broad mixture of nationalities represented on TV, I would like to ask for some feedback on alternative retirement destinations.

Looking for an affordable country with a monthly budget of about 150'000 Baht. Certainly visa requirements are an important point. Also sun, beach, fishing, boating and some nightlife and holiday atmosphere are part of the dream.

WW.

on a 150,000 baht per month i would say the world is your lobster :D whats wrong with thiland/pattaya,you can live like a king.

For us it was a tossup between here and Panama. Thailand won out and we are very happy here. But Panama makes it very easy to own everything and no visa problems. Very attractive ladies and the weather much like here. Better fishing than Thailand. Beaches are ho hum. Boating can be outstanding.

you could try some other countries in SEA, but Thailand is pretty much the most comfortable place for foreigners. you could try Latin America, but it's expensive. for me, Thailand wins hands down in almost all categories. don't waste your time looking at alternatives.

For us it was a tossup between here and Panama. Thailand won out and we are very happy here. But Panama makes it very easy to own everything and no visa problems. Very attractive ladies and the weather much like here. Better fishing than Thailand. Beaches are ho hum. Boating can be outstanding.

Interesting, it was the same for us. I even went so far as to almost sign a contract for a condo in Panama City. But after spending more time there I realized how small the country/city is and how utterly boring life would be there. My impression was also that the crime rate was very high.

Thailand, on the other hand, is not at all dull and we have been happy here going on 5 years now.

Brasil. At an upscale beach resort town. That amount gets you a retirement visa there and you can buy real estate as well.

You asked for sun, fun, beach, and fishing. Hard to imagine a better place for all that.

Edited by Jingthing

Brasil. At an upscale beach resort town. That amount gets you a retirement visa there and you can buy real estate as well.

You asked for sun, fun, beach, and fishing. Hard to imagine a better place for all that.

Thank you. Used to live in Recife/Fortalezza for a few years. Agree with you, so far Brazil is high on my list. Great lifestyle and culture.

Any specific locations in mind?

Happy to get more feedback from anybody on TV. Also been thinking about touring Australia in a big camper. Visa restrictions are a problem. Maybe 50:50/back and fourth...??

Thanx!

Thank you. Used to live in Recife/Fortalezza for a few years. Agree with you, so far Brazil is high on my list. Great lifestyle and culture.

Happy to get more feedback from anybody on TV. Also been thinking about touring Australia in a big camper. Visa restrictions are a problem. Maybe 50:50/back and fourth...??

Thanx!

If you liked Recife and Fortaleza, keep heading up the coast to São Luís in Maranhão. Much cheaper and the ladies have larger breasts. The beaches in Brasil piss all over anything that Thailand has.

The only downside I found in Brasil was the bureaucracy involved when dealing with local government and immigration; very pedantic and not unlike the Thai's when they decide at a whim that (for example) last year a photocopy was acceptable but this years paperwork must be original. That was in RJ but was markedly easier in the north and north east.

If you fancy touring in a campervan, try New Zealand.

Hi there

WW.

Plenty of places in the PI would fit the bill, though outside Manila you'd be hard-pressed to spend that much money. You might manage it in Olongapo City (Subic Bay), which has a great marina with some fantastic boats, and the housing is built to American standards. There's nightlife in the city itself, at Barrio Baretto along the bay, and you're just over an hour's drive from Angeles City if you have a need for Pattaya style girlie bars. They have a very friendly retirement scheme, why can't the Thais do something similar? See FAQ

Thanx!

If you liked Recife and Fortaleza, keep heading up the coast to São Luís in Maranhão. Much cheaper and the ladies have larger breasts. The beaches in Brasil piss all over anything that Thailand has.

The only downside I found in Brasil was the bureaucracy involved when dealing with local government and immigration; very pedantic and not unlike the Thai's when they decide at a whim that (for example) last year a photocopy was acceptable but this years paperwork must be original. That was in RJ but was markedly easier in the north and north east.

Thank you! I left Brazil in 97...Any idea how the cost of living has developed? Any examples? Visa is no problem, already had permanencia. Also know the PI's quite well and like their attitude, but overall PI's still a bid too basic although good fun. Tried FL for some years, even had some businesses there, but got bored. Guess, paradise is hard to find and depends much on personal attitude. I am just somewhat disillusioned with Thailand / Pattaya.

Thanks to all for the feedback! Keep it coming, please. WW.

the crime rate is too high in brazil ,,,,wouldnt even think about going on holiday there.......give me thailand any day

Australia, east coast. No worries about crime. Choose your climate from temperate to tropical.

big NO JT! Brazil demands a government pension and considers any other income as irrelevant. if that was not the case we would have built our home in Itaipava (up in the mountains ~100km from Rio) where we had bought land but sold it three years ago due to the afore mentioned restrictions. exceptions exist only for citizens of Mercosur states.

post-35218-1238204648_thumb.jpg

the crime rate is too high in brazil ,,,,wouldnt even think about going on holiday there.......give me thailand any day

Australia, east coast. No worries about crime. Choose your climate from temperate to tropical.

OZ retirement visa costs an arm and a leg of investment PLUS paying fancy income tax. and if you don't pass the bi-annual medical examination they send you back to your home country :o

next please!

Thanx!

and delaying to register a land purchase for full FOUR months because half a dozen translated, notarised, authenticated, counter-authenticated and consularised documents are required to prove what your father's first name is/was even if he died a decade ago (RJ). without that no tax number, without tax number no land transfer :o

in 2006 the brazilian embasssy refused to notarise our signatures on a simple power of attorney for a friend in Brazil who handled the sale of our land. we therefore spent a total of 15k dollars to fly half around the world, have dinner with a friend and to sign a couple of papers the next day at a local authority :D

the crime rate is too high in thailand ,,,,wouldnt even think about going on holiday there.......give me brasil any day

See how easily place names are interchangeable here? The crime rate in Brasil depends on where you are and type of crime. Some say the Pattaya street crime is worse than Bangkok and others say that Pratumnak burglaries is worse than the 'dark side'... infinitely debatable. I have a feeling this isn't the OP's first rodeo so I would discount crime rates as being a major factor here.

Regards Brazil, my first time there was 1999-2002 and the exchange rate was very handy. My second gig their was 2006-2008 and the forex was less beneficial plus they had just 'lost' Varig, their national carrier and domestic air travel was a disaster. Somehow the first tour was a lot more fun than the last one

I was disillusioned with Pattaya/Thailand in 1990 and left for 15 years, living and working in the US, Australia, Brazil and Cuba. Pattaya is OK for me right now but I still don't spend all my time here. To the OP, maybe you need a couple of seasonal bolt-holes; and by seasonal, I don't mean only the weather. Have somewhere else to go for a regular 'reality check'.

How about Margaret River, down the southwest coast, south of Perth?

the crime rate is too high in thailand ,,,,wouldnt even think about going on holiday there.......give me brasil any day

See how easily place names are interchangeable here? The crime rate in Brasil depends on where you are and type of crime. Some say the Pattaya street crime is worse than Bangkok and others say that Pratumnak burglaries is worse than the 'dark side'... infinitely debatable. I have a feeling this isn't the OP's first rodeo so I would discount crime rates as being a major factor here.

Regards Brazil, my first time there was 1999-2002 and the exchange rate was very handy. My second gig their was 2006-2008 and the forex was less beneficial plus they had just 'lost' Varig, their national carrier and domestic air travel was a disaster. Somehow the first tour was a lot more fun than the last one

I was disillusioned with Pattaya/Thailand in 1990 and left for 15 years, living and working in the US, Australia, Brazil and Cuba. Pattaya is OK for me right now but I still don't spend all my time here. To the OP, maybe you need a couple of seasonal bolt-holes; and by seasonal, I don't mean only the weather. Have somewhere else to go for a regular 'reality check'.

Hi Barry

Thanks. Great analysis. You read me very well. Couldn't agree more on all points. Pattaya imo has one of the worst crime problems i have seen in any place. And, yes you are right, I have been around.

Somehow I got stuck here. Like so many of us. But I don't want to grow old here. Would not mind visiting once in a while maybe. My top options at them moment are 50:50 Australia/NZ/FL:PI/TH?maybe. Unfortunately Australia is very restrictive with immigration. FL would be ok. with occasional trip to Asia. Brazil high up. Still easy to get in, especially in my case. Mexico? Greece, some other European destination? Tough choice!

Thanks for all answers.

WW.

Can really recomend Australia,s east coast, no need to bother with retirement visa, get a 12 month visa and leave for a week and renew the visa, we have many pensioner friends from europe who live like this, as long as you dont work and pay your own medical insurance ,we moved out here in 96 and have since retired, even taken out citizenship,I,m your typical whinging pom , bit like Victor Meldrew on Acid :D but this is the place to be, look up Redcliffe or Bribie Island, Malaysia and thailand are only a short flight away if likeme you get a yearning for lao khao :o

How about Margaret River, down the southwest coast, south of Perth?

Perth is a nice place, but it's too isolated from the rest of Australia. The east coast somewhere between Sydney and Cairns will provide most people with somewhere ideal to live.

If the Med appeals MALTA has a very organized retirement visa program which does require that you buy real estate there. It is a higher budget option, but the OP can probably afford it. I really don't think most people would be happy "retiring" to Australia without a proper long term visa and their requirements are for the rich only.Interestingly, there is some buzz now about a retirement visa for the USA. There is none now and foreign real estate owners who can get no other visa can only live in the US part time. With the US now being a basket case, I think it is a great idea. Thais retired in the US, serves them right!

Mexico has some deep troubles now but I would think a wealthier retiree could buy some security in a nice area in a beach resort such as Puerto Vallarta, one of my favorites. The Mexico retirement program is very attractive and buying real estate cuts the financial requirements in half. However, there are some legal issues with buying seaside, but they are manageable through established vehicles.

Edited by Jingthing

I am impressed how much interest this subject found. Also nice, that all posts are friendly and positive. Obviously some people are looking for other/better options than Thailand.

Love the Australia idea, East Coast all the way up absolutely great and love the Aussie lifestyle. Everybody is so friendly and helpful. Did not realize you can stay longer than 180 days per year, since it means you are going around the Rules. Australia must be the best organized and controlled immigration system in the world. 6-7000$/mth. ok to live? Non drinker & -smoker!

US is easy enough, misc. options and with a possible retirement scheme it will get even better. Anybody on Bali, never been there?

Thanks to everybody!

WW. :o

As far as I know there is a 12 month visa available for australiabut for renewal you have to leave the country at least 14 days, this is not hearsay we have friends from UK who have been living in a retirement village in Hervey Bay for 8 years, renewing their visa every 12 months , prior to that they were our tenants for 2 years!! 6 to 7000$ amonth income, you can live like a king that is twice as much as the average queensland householder earns, good luck on your search :o

As far as I know there is a 12 month visa available for australiabut for renewal you have to leave the country at least 14 days, this is not hearsay we have friends from UK who have been living in a retirement village in Hervey Bay for 8 years, renewing their visa every 12 months , prior to that they were our tenants for 2 years!! 6 to 7000$ amonth income, you can live like a king that is twice as much as the average queensland householder earns, good luck on your search :o

Thank you very much. This starts to sound better and better. I am Swiss, 51, and really like Australia. Have been to the East Coast and loved Cairns/Pt. Douglas. So I am looking for a mid sized town with some flair on the water with beaches and fishing opportunities close by. Is it as bad with the stingers as people say? No swimming at all possible? Any advice what areas to explore is much appreciated. Would rent for the first 6 months and then look to own. Still having dreams about a life on the sea....

Regards..

WW.

Homeless

Give Bribie Island some thought, certainly has the beach and fishing is very good in the ocean or in Pumicestone passage. spent the better part of 20 years living on the mainland side of Bribie Island. Was there on a retirement visa but they changed the rules and made the renewal process very complex and appeared they no longer wanted retirees living there. So moved to Cha Am and are quite happy on the beach here.

Australia is a enjoyable place to live and with your budget you will have no problems with money. If you like more excitement you can try the Gold Coast but it has gone down hill in tha last few years. Sunshine coast is in between Bribie Island and the gold coast for things to do. Easy to check them all out as they are within a couple hundred k's of each other and Brisbane in the middle.

Good luck on wherever you choose.

Thank you very much. This starts to sound better and better. I am Swiss, 51, and really like Australia. Have been to the East Coast and loved Cairns/Pt. Douglas. So I am looking for a mid sized town with some flair on the water with beaches and fishing opportunities close by. Is it as bad with the stingers as people say? No swimming at all possible? Any advice what areas to explore is much appreciated. Would rent for the first 6 months and then look to own. Still having dreams about a life on the sea....

Regards..

WW.

you have triggered some interesting replies.with regards to swimming,once you get up to cairns swimming in the ocean between nov. and may is not recommended(from cairns going further north)but if you are living around the gold coast/sunshine coast/hervey bay/bundaberg its not a problem.If you've no family/relatives on the east coast maybe you should check out perth.now i've not been there but am told it really is a beautiful unspoilt place,great beaches/fishing,wine areas etc.and its neare to singapore than say sydney for quick access to asia.

OK, I learned something here. There is indeed a LONG STAY tourist visa for Australia that is good for a 12 month stay. That is surely what the people are using who don't have the formal Aussie retirement visa. There is some processing time needed for the visa and they can require a medical exam and proof of funds. Does anyone know how much money they are looking to see for the proof of funds for the LONG STAY tourist visa? Also, if you are over 70 you must prove you have health insurance. Anyone in Australia want to swap condos with me for a year, ha ha?

http://www.visabureau.com/australia/tourist-visas.aspx

Edited by Jingthing