Best 6 Places To See In Bangkok

tezzainoz

A friend asked me a question today that stumped me

Forgetting nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy the sual girly bars etc

What are the top 5 places in Bangkok to see and in what order are your preferences 1 - 6

I will throw this question open to the forum

The best places, why talk about Soi Cowboy and Nana, or is this question for the Sex Tourist???

You don't have to be a sex tourist to enjoy seeing these places!

I took my old uncle to "cowboy" once and he really enjoyed it.

If you have lived all your life in Clapham or somewhere just as boring, these are real sights to see along with

1 - Wat Phra Kieow

2 - Chao Phraya river tour/Wat Arun etc

3 - Wat Dhammamankon, soi 101/1, Sukh.

4 - Meuang boran(Ancient Village), Samut Prakan(near Bkk)

5 - Patpong

Forgetting nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy the sual girly bars etc

Wouldn't that be like ordering flat fizzy water or pad kapow without the "kapow"?

Sometimes it is just as interesting to look at all sides of life, even if that includes the underbelly.

I certainly wouldn't have these places at the top of my list, but in a top 10 of places to see, I don't think I would leave all of them off either.

Nobody mentioned the 5,5 tonne Solid Gold Buddha at

Wat Traimit.

I would also add:

Crocodile Farm (There are two - Samut Prakan & Samphran – which have Crocodile Wrestling & Elephant Shows)

The Royal Barges

Ride on a River Bus (Bht 10 – Bht20) instead of an Expensive “Boat Tour” for example to get to the Grand Palace & Wat Pra Kaew

Take Sky Train to Sathorn Station which connects to a River Boat Pier – and Take the River Boat to The Grand Palace or Wat Pho (the Huge Sleeping Buddha)

Safari World

Phra Phuttha Monthon (A giant walking Buddha in extensive beautiful Gardens

Bill

1. Floating market (this isn't in Bangkok is it?)

2. Patpong (not only the a-go-go scene, the night market worth a look too)

3. Markets & shopping malls (Chatuchak, Suan Lum, World Trade, MBK, Siam, etc.)

4. Boat trip

5. Grand palace

6. Clubs, Restaurants, Bars

Edited by honeyen

I would suggest Dusit complex. it has also Teak wood palace of one of former Kings - may be Rama VI or V

it is near to zoo BTW - also worth seeing!

other place might be Lumpini Park, especially on the weekend morning when all the people do their taichi and other exercises or simply chill out.... and it is in general nice place....

park besides Emporium although small - also nice.

yesterday I saw one book - "Unseen Thailand" - it is in Thai section of bookstores. but it has English too inside. I remember only this Dusit teak wood palace from that book though - can't recall other places.

if markets are concerned - if such places as markets are places for visiting at all - I'd suggest to visit wholesale fruit market somehwere bettween Hualamphong and Khao san Rd. more exactly - it is near to Bo Be wholesale market, which is by the way not usually know to farangs because they mostly go to JatuJak or Sampeng only. but Bo Be is much cheaper for cloth. although may be most of goods there won't qualify for foreignstandarts.... :o

I am looking for the top 6 Bangkok tourist spots apart from the Girl bars and places, these go with out saying

Definition of tourist spot could vary widely ... from the Hard Rock Cafe' to Jim Thompson House to just walking around through neighborhoods.

In my limited experience, I would put the Thompson House on anyone's itinerary. It is in a central location, easy in and easy out. Plus the tour is very interesting.

I think one of the main markets is a must see. There are many to choose from.

Other than that, perhaps you and your friends would like to pick something from recommended walking tours, such as:

http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/bangkok/ba...king_tours.html

Cheers!

what's your personal favorite walking route, spee?

I'm simply curious - no any other ulterior motives, mind you ! I like to walk too. I thought that you might have more experience here in Bkk if you stay here longer than me as I assume. I'd like you to share your experience.