Night Stings

T_Dog

Last night, an hour after sunset the girlfriend and I headed down the road on the motorcycle to get a snack. In the headlights, I see an insect larger than a dragonfly but with the same kind of wing movements headed at us. (We were going about 40 kph) I started to ask if she had also seen how large the bug was when there was a scream..... Stopped the bike and got the lowdown on extreme pain from the sting right above the upper lip. Somehow the bug got behind me and went up in behind her visor. By the time we got to the hospital (15 minutes), the cheek was swollen as large as a tennis ball and she looked like a lop-sided chipmunk. Doc immediately have her an injection of antihistamine and something else and we stayed the night for observation. Pain was very intense for about two hours. Now, 18 hours later the swelling is almost gone and we are home.

Am wondering what it could have been at night that was so aggressive and had such strong venom. I don't think that hornets or bees are out at night, but looking for opinions from the experts on the forum. The insect was as large as anything I have ever seen in the headlights.

Can you cook it?

Actually, yes... in a way...

This is how japanese honeybees defend themselves against hornet attacks on their hives. The JHB can tolerate a slightly higher temperature than the AGH, so a bunch of JHBs form a tight ball around the attacking AGH, beat their wings much as they do to heat the hive, and literally cook the AGH to death.

Can you cook it?

Actually, yes... in a way...

This is how japanese honeybees defend themselves against hornet attacks on their hives. The JHB can tolerate a slightly higher temperature than the AGH, so a bunch of JHBs form a tight ball around the attacking AGH, beat their wings much as they do to heat the hive, and literally cook the AGH to death.

That’s brilliant. Well I never knew that.

You really are an Einstein.

Phaethon, that is probably it. The doctor also suspected that by other stings being treated and by the intensity of the reaction. Hornets are always the worst as I remember from growing up on a farm. The honey bees and wasps would sting, but when a black hornet got me it was always much more painful. I guess they call the Asian Hornet "Taugh Sua" or tiger hornet in Thai.

The better half is good shape today and just a slight residual pain.