Monthly Cost Water & Electricity

Soulwy

A serviced appartment in BKK asks these rates for:

Water supply: 18 Baht per unit.

Electricity : 6 Baht per unit.

How much would that approx.be for 1 person in a 80 sq.meter appartment? "cause I have no idea.

never realised water was a separate charge.just looking at the unit cost of electricity tells me its by a private company rather than govt. supply which is usually around 3baht to 3.5 baht a unit.

On 6 baht a unit i think you could look at 1000 baht upwards per month for electricity alone.So at 18 baht per unit for water,the cost would depend on how many showers per day you have and for how long.

Is the meaning of "unit" different in different provinces? I pay 24 baht a unit and I use plenty of water, showers, cooking, washing machine, my cost is about 200 baht per month (in Pattaya). However, I am charged an additional 100 baht for meter reading by my condo.

Edited by Jingthing

A unit is 1,000 liters. I expect you pay a higher cost in Pattaya for the "sin tax". :o

No sinning in Bangkok then?

I suspect with condos/serviced apartments there is usually no choice about who you bill your water with, don't they most often dictate their terms?

80 sqm is a decent size. The electricity bill will be heavily dependent on your use of a/c. Also 6 bt/unit is a bit high, but not unexpected for a serviced apartment. If you don't use a/c at all the bill should be around 500 bt/month. If you use it all the time or your a/c unit is old or you run more than one unit at a time then the electricity bill could easily reach 6,000-8,000/month.

The water will be relatively inexpensive. Should be no more than 500 bt/month.

I rent a small studio serviced apartment. Electric is 7 baht a unit. How much would it be if I ran aircon all day? I'm scared that the bill will be really high, but I've never rented an apartment here before.

I have a similar size condo in Pattaya billed directly to the power company. I do not use the aircon. My cost is about 1600 per month.

You growing something in there?

That would have covered my water AND electric bills for 2 month in a same size place.

Just had my first month here in the this apt - ~30m^2, several showers/day, moderate aircon use but usually a pedestal fan and a big desktop, 2 monitors on for most of the day when I'm in. Also fridge kettle and microwave.

Electric@9THB/unit: 1,566THB

Wate@18THB/unitr: 90THB

Plus VAT@7%

Edited by Lite Beer
Electric cost corrected at the posters request. Lite Beer.

i have a 2 bedroom house

-direct billing

-3 a/c (2 on while sleeping, 1 on evenings, weekends)

- fish tank (large 2 to 4 x 55w flourescents on 10 hour timer filter etc.)

-halogen floods in the diveway and yard (on all night)

-requisite fridges, electric water pump etc.

2700 -5500 per month

water bill is irrelavent

Edited by t.s

Just had my first month here in the this apt - ~30m^2, several showers/day, moderate aircon use but usually a pedestal fan and a big desktop, 2 monitors on for most of the day when I'm in. Also fridge kettle and microwave.

Electric@9THB/unit: 15660THB

Plus VAT@7%

Is that a typo? 15K baht for one month power for such a small place? Really?

Electric@9THB/unit: 15660THB

Plus VAT@7%

I suspect that is a typo but the per unit cost is very high = 1,740 units. My usage this month with 10 occupants in 5 bedroom home was 2,345 units at cost of 9,560 baht. That is full time a/c in one room and almost the same (schools out) in another.

Yes, sorry, should be 1566THB this month.

Perhaps a passing mod can correct the original?

Edited by phaethon

I ahve a 2 bed/2 bathroom 1 story house and my water bill is still free,used to be about 80-100 baht a month.My electricity is about 800-1200 baht a month.3 of us take showers at least 5 times a day each and air con in main bathroom running a couple of hours a night,plus i have 2 electric hot showers.1 light left on all night for security and i also run a pc day and night and TV in living room/and 2 bedrooms running most of the day and night.3fans running all day and night too.

never realised water was a separate charge.just looking at the unit cost of electricity tells me its by a private company rather than govt. supply which is usually around 3baht to 3.5 baht a unit.

On 6 baht a unit i think you could look at 1000 baht upwards per month for electricity alone.So at 18 baht per unit for water,the cost would depend on how many showers per day you have and for how long.

Figure air con is 80% of the electric bill.

I agree about the AC. Using a unit every night or all day is what spikes the bill up. If you can keep the AC use down to a minimum the monthly electric should be under 2k. And when you get the beer from the fridge keeping the door open to look for snacks will also add to your cost. Better keep an ice chest next to your easy chair so no need to open the fridge so often.

Never paid more than 600Baht in a studio for electric (6/7Baht per unit). My water is fixed at 80Baht/month.

But then I very rarely turn the air con on. Have a fan running the whole time I'm in though.

• 1 year later...

If this is how much it costs:water charge : first 7 units for 170 baht / month and 25 baht / each unit extra from the first 7 units electricity charge : 7 baht / unit And two people are taking a shower everyday and we are running the AC when we are inside, how much per month is it going to cost? I'm so confused.

I live in a 108 square metre condominium which the utilities are billed at government rates. My water bill for two persons is usually 120 baht a month, and electricity is around 800 baht. The electricity doubles in the summer months when we use the air conditioning continuously.

My water bill in Korst rarely exceeds 50 baht per month and I water a 100sqm+ garden as well as shower and clean the car myself. In rainy season waterbill is around 11bht. I live alone.

Lecky for a three bed two story house is 350 in cool season and 1100 in hot season.

houses are notoriously better value than appartments when it comes to untilities. my old appartment 3 years ago had a flat fee of 200bht per month for water. imagine my annoyance when I moved to a house and my first water bill was 37 baht!

My first 2 roomed appartment cost 2000bht in electrickery one month because I used A/C like central heating back home!

oops... :huh:

Electric@9THB/unit: 1,566THB

Plus VAT@7%

Sounds like you are paying VAT twice over. The electricity company will add 7 pc to the bill it charges your apartment company. Because the cost of electricty per unit increases with the number units consumed, the apartment will probably pay more than the 3.5 to 4 haht/unit most consumers pay. But not sure if they are then allowed to charge an extra 7 pc VAT on top of that (for providing a service?). Somehow I doubt if the Thai treasury will see any of that money.