Uk Driving Licence

coventry

UK drivers licences issued after July 1998 automatically expire after 10 years. People seem to think the licence is issued for life. Read the small print. Anyone going back to the UK with a licence that was issued more that 10 years ago is open to a fine of 1,000 GBP if caught driving.

UK drivers licences issued after July 1998 automatically expire after 10 years. People seem to think the licence is issued for life. Read the small print. Anyone going back to the UK with a licence that was issued more that 10 years ago is open to a fine of 1,000 GBP if caught driving.

I think that those with picture licenses have to submit a new photo to DVLC every ten years. Those with the paper licenses which don't expire until the user is 70 do not come under such rules, unless the holder of the said license changes address. So if you have a paper license hold on to it, they are much better than the photo ones.

I think that those with picture licenses have to submit a new photo to DVLC every ten years. Those with the paper licenses which don't expire until the user is 70 do not come under such rules, unless the holder of the said license changes address. So if you have a paper license hold on to it, they are much better than the photo ones.

It is to keep the photo current that the licenses need to be renewed every 10 years. I just renewed mine.

Paper licences aren't valid in the EU or abroad, so there is a downside.

Besides the photocard license is useful as photo ID which is increasingly needed these days.

It is to keep the photo current that the licenses need to be renewed every 10 years. I just renewed mine.

Paper licences aren't valid in the EU or abroad, so there is a downside. Just get an IDP.

Besides the photocard license is useful as photo ID which is increasingly needed these days. My bet is that if you're posting on this website then you have a passport?

Thanks for that reminder.

My Photo licence expires in August. I must see about getting it renewed

whilst I am over here.

As long as you still have a UK address you can do it online via the Direct Gov website you need to register first, your new licence arrives within a week but they will want you to cut up your paper copy & photo licence & return it to the DVLA.

You will then need family or a friend to forward on the licence to you in Thailand.

The new photo is the problem though unless you have the latest passport as DVLA can get access to that Photo for you,if you don't have the latest passport than a good quality photo shop could do one & you post it on to the UK, but check on the acceptable sizes of the photo etc with DVLA if their the same as the new passport requirements which are very fussy you may struggle getting it done locally.

I think some people think the plastic ID card is THE licence. It's not. It has to be used in conjunction with the green paper version.

From DVLA 's booklet -INF5D-"We now only issue photocard licences, if you do not have a photocard licence, you must provide a photo and proof of identity"

The form for renewal of licence is D46P.

It is 10 years for plastic part, mine runs out in Jan 2010, I have Thai licence's but will keep my UK licence going.

I think some people think the plastic ID card is THE licence. It's not. It has to be used in conjunction with the green paper version.

From DVLA 's booklet -INF5D-"We now only issue photocard licences, if you do not have a photocard licence, you must provide a photo and proof of identity"

The form for renewal of licence is D46P.

It is 10 years for plastic part, mine runs out in Jan 2010, I have Thai licence's but will keep my UK licence going.

From the information I have in front of me it states "At the heart of the confussion is the small print on the tiny card-sized photo licence, which is used in conjunction with the paper version". This document is dated Spring 2009. On the green paper attachment(D740) it states "The photocard and paper counterpart together make up the complete driving licence and should be kept together. Both must be produced when required". Edited by coventry

Another point is that you have to declare that you are Resident in the UK

which excludes expats who live in Thailand............. :o

Part of a EU law, if I remember rightly.