Uni Graduation Ceremony

think_too_mut

It is really for Family and Children forum

On March 25. there was a graduation ceremony at the Rajamangala University, delayed for 3 years. It saw almost 10,000 graduates parading and receiving their diploma from the Crown Princess, Her Majesty Galyani Vadhana.

Quite an occassion for Thais, almost as important as the school achievement itself.

What makes it unusual is - the neighbours from a distant township of 15,000 people hired 2 vans to come and be there to enjoy, cheer and show common pride when the first person from their place is being honoured with a handshake and "well done, good luck" from the Thai Monarchy's prominent figure.

That person was my wife. Not that there are no graduated people in their town. The thing is - they were all sent by their employers (The Ministries of Education, Health or Agriculture). None indigineous.

Prior to the parade, a pic, my wife is one of the women in there:

cer1.jpg

Then the graduates, in their ceremony gowns, paraded on their way to see the Princess:

cer0.jpg

cer3.jpg

The (our) people were squatting in a scorching heat:

cer2.jpg

Then, they all took a picture with my wife. Wife's pictires with the Princess will come end of June. Another feast for the hometown.

What is important here other than the ceremony itself: they, ordinary Isaan people, came with open heart and sincere delight, probably thinking - she's one of us, we must have played a supportive role too, throughout her life.

One important person, who made it all possibe (the Uni cost money and time), was not there. Myself. Laboring in Japan, could not take time off.

Edited by think_too_mut

Well done! ... :o

Was the post just to share the experience? or there was some other reason?

You can read many things from it.

For one, the sense of community. Out of 20 people, only 4 were related (mother, father, sister and niece) to my wife. All others were neighbours, those same people who come to the house at will all day long, hold and cuddle children.

They have known each other all their lives and most likely may remain where they are until last day, seeing next generation keeping the ties and interdependencies.

One picture shows them in their Sunday's best, still looking out of place on that glorious day for my wife. Did she get embarrassed by her poor folks' presence? Of course not, there was nobody else she would want to see coming on that day.

Would someone who parachuted from the West get upset with their screeching, customs and the way they interact and take freedom to intrude each other's life? Yes, for sure.

Some would even ill advise that westerner "put your foot down". This is to illustrate just how ridiculous that advice would be in this (and most other) situations.

Community and interdependence within family and the neigborhood - that's how Asia works. You don't undersrand that - you are out of place in Thailand and pretty much anywhere in Asia.