Foreigners Living In Bangkok

Underbelly

Why can't they fry a bloody egg right? No matter how I explain my preference for the white to be cooked but the yolk slightly runny it arrives either practically raw shimmering in its own opaque puddle or joke shop hard. Drives me quite beyond reason.

I agree so much on the egg cooking situation, I recently had one cooked to beyond recognition fried in extremely hot greese, I ask the waitress and the cook, can you eat this, is this delicious aroy? They just looked at me like whats wrong, I don't understand? Finally the cooked made me another fried egg and it was better but charged me for the first one... I have given up on the egg situation, but can live with these minor annoyances.

But I must say (being in the property business I meet many new farlang coming here and others that already live here) it does seem like there are more weird and crazy farlang in Thailand now a days, I think it may have something to do with the economy and people are low on money having lost so much in the stock markets and jobs are scarce, I don't know, but I have met some real nut cases lately?

I have been here for a few months now and met many foreigners in bangkok.

I've met some of the Bangkok bangers team which are a great bunch of blokes who I hope to be playing with next month. Meet some really down to earth foreigners also.

But I have met some really miserable blokes, I'm a pretty friendly bloke and talk to anyone and I have met many miserable blokes and notices that they are usually in group.

One group of about 9 guys who my friends and I challenged for the table were always puting down Thai's and saying how stupid they are, telling the girls behind the bar to get them a drink in a rude manner. After we beat them for the table they wanted a rematch, after we beat them again they started blaming the table saying how Thai pool tables are all crap etc etc.

I mean we just left before one of us got set off, I mean plently of people here know the faults here and are aware, but we seem to move on. But I have never seen so many miserable foreigners talking down to the locals anywhere I have travelled.

Why is this?

I've been here 20 years on and off . I'm with you in that,"hey if your so F-in negative leave". Not to say that from time to time I get a little short with some of the frustrating aspects of Thailand thats normal. I've observed these types and I'm sorry to say that the vast magority of them are german and english. They have this attitude (Imperilistic?).......whatever it is its a :o constant negative. Go home. I also suspect these individuals are not models citizens at home .

Some of the endearing things that I love about Thailand are also some of the things that frustrate me.

In my opinion the worst thing that has ever happened to Thai society is the advent and proliferation of the motorbike and automobile, the cell phone and the continual move from an agrarian society to an urban one.

The fun loving, happy go lucky, Land of Smiles that first attracted me has gotten lost in a sea of anonymity behind a car windshield and a nameless, faceless apartment block.

This is seen in the Thai people themselves and an increase in violence and crime and poor discourteous driving habits. It is also seen in attitude in the work place. The days of quiet, peaceful toiling in the rice fields have been slipping away and is being replaced by long ques at the bank, traffic lights and "all you can eat buffets."

It's progress.

But to get to the subject of foreign jerks in Thailand, yes, there are many. Are there more here than in other nations? There are a lot of self righteous obstinate jerks all over the world. Many of them hiding behind avatars. I am not particularly fond of the bathroom wall scribblers that now call the internet their home. I would rather see a jerk at the bar, where we belong, than tossing stones from behind a screen.

I've been here 20 years on and off . I'm with you in that,"hey if your so F-in negative leave". Not to say that from time to time I get a little short with some of the frustrating aspects of Thailand thats normal. I've observed these types and I'm sorry to say that the vast magority of them are german and english. They have this attitude (Imperilistic?).......whatever it is its a :o constant negative. Go home. I also suspect these individuals are not models citizens at home .

I quite agree with you regarding, "if you don't like it here...". It's not the same as saying "The U.S., love it or leave it," to an American. It's saying to a visitor, why stay if you are not happy?

I don't know about the British...can't say I've ever run into many when I've visited. I have seen it quite a few times with Germans. I have been quite offended by their treatment of Thais in Thailand. I also try to keep in mind that I am sure they are the exception among Germans, not the rule.

I've met some of the Bangkok bangers team which are a great bunch of blokes who I hope to be playing with next month. Meet some really down to earth foreigners also.

But I have met some really miserable blokes, I'm a pretty friendly bloke and talk to anyone and I have met many miserable blokes and notices that they are usually in group.

One group of about 9 guys who my friends and I challenged for the table were always puting down Thai's and saying how stupid they are, telling the girls behind the bar to get them a drink in a rude manner. After we beat them for the table they wanted a rematch, after we beat them again they started blaming the table saying how Thai pool tables are all crap etc etc.

I mean we just left before one of us got set off, I mean plently of people here know the faults here and are aware, but we seem to move on. But I have never seen so many miserable foreigners talking down to the locals anywhere I have travelled.

Why is this?

What bar where you in? i bet the <deleted> were English

Cultural determinism; OP, Why are expecting civilized proper conversation and behavior in a place like that, it’s a bar with bar girls, drunks and burnt out whore mongers. These guys are probably all alcoholics, low on money bitter old farts that like to bitch and show off in front of newbies here, old story.

And regarding hhgz’s post about “Many of the farangs in BKK are only here because they've ran away from their responsibilities in their home country. “

I disagree that many farlang here have run away from their responsibilities, that is way too general of a statement. I know guys from the entire spectrum, multimillionaires that own businesses and hotels here and desperate crazy people that are broke living off credit cards and have stopped taking their medication. But yes this ain’t Florida with a large majority of retired well funded people on pensions. A large group of guys come to live here because it’s cheap with affordable health care, warm weather, beautiful women and a low crime rate. But I don’t believe it’s because they’re all on the run from their responsibilities, they just want a better life than what their home country has to offer.

many farangs go to Thailand,fall in love with it or a thai girl,then do a tefl course and finish up in BK working as a poorly paid teacher,getting grumpty about why they have to work 5 days a week and cannot party with the expats.

People move here because it is INTERESTING and never BORING. Some people move here with "bad" intentions, and some are good people who had good intentions but became jaded, and bitter.

Life for many people back home was really boring!

It's probably these loser KOOKS who can't succeed where they're from with chics, jobs, etc..

When they realise they're losers here too, their anger mixed with alcohol reveals their true loser selves.

Farangs like this talk sh*t and can't do sh*t....These are the types of Kooks that give good Farangs a bad name.

In fact, these type of Farangs are stereotyped in ALL parts of Asia, broke losers, big mouths...

Anyway, just avoid dodgy places with loser foreigners.

Stay cool and respect the locals, everything should be fine.

Thais are so tolerant, but eventually will lose their tolerance, esp to these loser dudes...

Take it easy.

Why is this?

"It's probably these loser KOOKS who can't succeed where they're from with chics, jobs, etc..

When they realise they're losers here too, their anger mixed with alcohol reveals their true loser selves.

Farangs like this talk sh*t and can't do sh*t....These are the types of Kooks that give good Farangs a bad name.

In fact, these type of Farangs are stereotyped in ALL parts of Asia, broke losers, big mouths...

Anyway, just avoid dodgy places with loser foreigners.

Stay cool and respect the locals, everything should be fine.

Thais are so tolerant, but eventually will lose their tolerance, esp to these loser dudes...

Take it easy."

I'd articulate it differently, but your thoughts reflect mine.

I remember a thread several months ago: a farang was in a night club, and a Thai man walked in front of him. The farang was outraged that a Thai man would do that, and the farng struck the Thai man. The farang was surprised that the Thai fought back. The farang posted his story on TV, and more than half of the responses indicated that they thought the farang behaved appropriately. Incredible.

"I remember a thread several months ago: a farang was in a night club, and a Thai man walked in front of him. The farang was outraged that a Thai man would do that, and the farng struck the Thai man. The farang was surprised that the Thai fought back. The farang posted his story on TV, and more than half of the responses indicated that they thought the farang behaved appropriately. Incredible.

Can you give more details to the story? I had many a Thai in Pattaya (not in Bangkok) try to cut in line ahead of me at 7/11 or other stores, and I speak to them and say I am in line ahead of you, sometimes I let it go but when a Thai person is being rude to me like that I let them know about it. But I am not going to get in a fight and hit anybody...