Using Bleach To Disinfect Water Storage Tank

MeetJohnDoe

I have a 1500L stainless-steel water storage tank that stores Pattaya municipal water. Before the tank, I have 2 of the small wall mounted canister particulate filters...the first one with 25 micron filter and the 2nd one with a 5 micron filter. For additional safety, I add about 1/4 - 1/3 of a cup of household bleach to tank about every 10 days. This water is not used for drinking but only for washing dishes and bathrooms (showers, sinks, and toilets). At this dilution level, there is only a slightest hint of bleach smell in the water at the discharge points.

My question is at this dilution level, is there any danger from using the bleach...mainly from contact with the skin during showers or while soaking in the tub? I guess a secondary question would be is there any danger to the PVC pipes or pipe joint cement from contact with slightly bleached water?

here's an interesting piece about water purity.

Bleach in Tank

Thanks for that great link :o

Good information from an authoritative source. They recommend about 1/5 cup of bleach for a 1000L tank to make potable water. So that same amount for a 1500L tank should be enough for a more general disinfection of the water for non-potable household use.

As to danger to SS tanks from chlorine/bleach...I have direct experience of this...if there is direct contact with chlorine, it will corrode the metal (I once put a pool chlorine tablet in my tank and it ate a hole in the bottom of it where it settled) but a liquid bleach solution at these diluted quantities probably is no danger.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

On my canal boat I used to drop a couple of chlorine-based cleaning tablets in the tank every-so-often. If you're ever near a marina, drop by the chandlers and see what they have for cleaning boat fresh-water tanks.