Marriage Visa 1 Year Extention

I'm British 47 years of age and married to a Thai. I have a UK government pension of over 90,000 baht per month. I have no money in a Thai bank account, and I only withdraw money from my UK bank via an ATM machine. I currently have a 1 year multiple entry Non Imm ‘O’ visa. I permanently live in Thailand and have done for 5 years. My visa expires in April. I have no savings as I lost those to a previous sexual encounter, which serves me right :o

OK you have the facts. I have heard so many different versions on the 1 year extension issue; which varies quite a bit. I was advised to come to this forum to get the very latest on this subject.

1) Do I qualify for the one year extension.

2) If I do not, what if anything can I do to qualify.

3) Would I be better to enlist the help of an agency to guide me through the application process, if yes which agency.

Thanks…….

You do not have local income so most likely immigration will want to see 400k in a Thai bank account. Using ATM you also have no proof that they want to see as to foreign funds transfer. There is no great application process you show up with wife and documents and state your case so you should not need any outside help.

As you are under age 50 proof of foreign transfer is going to be checked closer as you are not expected to be on a pension at that age and with no proof of foreign transfer of funds in a form immigration wants to see (wire transfer) I think the April date may not be possible to make. But still worth a shot.

First step is set up a local bank account or joint account with wife that you can start to make money transfer into. You should try to get it up to 400k and then you only have to top up on an annual basis but if you also take embassy paper confirming pension (overseas income) you may not need that much, at least for first year. But without some proof of transfer and at least a start at building a reserve it may not fly nothing lost in asking. I would do what I can between now and April and then visit a week before your visa stay expires and see what happens. If they say no they should be able to give you what you need and then you can get another O or multi O to cover you until you can meet the requirements. Good luck and believe you will appreciate not having to make the visa runs once you get the process done.

You do not have local income so most likely immigration will want to see 400k in a Thai bank account.  Using ATM you also have no proof that they want to see as to foreign funds transfer.  There is no great application process you show up with wife and documents and state your case so you should not need any outside help.

As you are under age 50 proof of foreign transfer is going to be checked closer as you are not expected to be on a pension at that age and with no proof of foreign transfer of funds in a form immigration wants to see (wire transfer) I think the April date may not be possible to make.  But still worth a shot.

Lopburi3

Thanks for your quick reply.

This is where I get confused. I thought you had to show 400K in bank OR an income of 40K a month which you had to prove was being wired into Thailand. If I were to get a letter from the British Embassy stating I was indeed in receipt of a pension of 40K or more, plus show a couple of months of the money being wired into a Thai bank this would not be sufficient in your opinion. Sorry to push you on this, but as with most things here, it’s a grey area. I’m just trying to get as near to black and white as I can.

Penang remains an option although not as sure as it used to be from some accounts.

The wording as you describe would indicate you have the choice but from reports believe it is indeed a grey area and I would not expect to pass muster with no track record for them to observe. But do give it a try. Would love to learn of your success and I could well be wrong.

I do see the nest egg here as important in an emergency so perhaps it clouds my perception; and definitely do not want to give you bad advise as do believe the long stay extension is what you should work for. But can't shake the impression they consider age 50 as kind of a crossing point if no other major factors known. If you can provide full pension paperwork with Embassy letter perhaps it can help turn the grey to white. But I would also work on a local savings account.

Penang remains an option although not as sure as it used to be from some accounts.

The wording as you describe would indicate you have the choice but from reports believe it is indeed a grey area and I would not expect to pass muster with no track record for them to observe.  But do give it a try.  Would love to learn of your success and I could well be wrong.

I thought that was going to be your answer :D I will give it a go and I will certainly let you know what happens. Nice to know that getting a One year multiple entry Non-Imm 'O' visa in Penang is also a grey area :o Would be please to get some reports from people who have attempted to get a 1 year multiple entry Non-Imm 'O' visa from Penang recently.

I too am applying for a one year marriage visa. I understand that I must have 400 000 Baht in the Bank...but must show that it came from abroad. Does that mean that it must be a direct wire transfer? Or can I simply withdraw it from my Canadian Account, and deposit it into my Thai Account, or withdraw it directly from my Canadian Visa Card, and then put it into my Thai account. The reason being that Wire transfers are so ###### expensive and complicated. If I can simply withdraw it directly myself, it would be ideal. Any ideas?

I have the money right now in my Canadian Account, i just have to find the best way to put it into my Thai account by February 1.

thanks.

I too am applying for a one year marriage visa.  I understand that I must have 400 000 Baht in the Bank...but must show that it came from abroad.  Does that mean that it must be a direct wire transfer?  Or can I simply withdraw it from my Canadian Account, and deposit it into my Thai Account, or withdraw it directly from my Canadian Visa Card, and then put it into my Thai account.  The reason being that Wire transfers are so ###### expensive and complicated.  If I can simply withdraw it directly myself, it would be ideal. Any ideas?

I have the money right now in my Canadian Account,  i just have to find the best way to put it into my Thai account by February 1.

thanks.

Most every indication from here on "TV" and the local "law firms" say the rule is it must be transfered from you account "abroad" (ie. wire transfer). Then recently, I saw one poster who said all he did was take some money from an ATM and deposit it in his Thai account. No problem for him he said. So......guess that's why we will continue to wonder what the real deal is. If you want to be sure then follow the rules/advice given in this forum if you can, if you are adventureous then try something else. Apparently, you might succeed.

I too am applying for a one year marriage visa.  I understand that I must have 400 000 Baht in the Bank...but must show that it came from abroad.  Does that mean that it must be a direct wire transfer?  Or can I simply withdraw it from my Canadian Account, and deposit it into my Thai Account, or withdraw it directly from my Canadian Visa Card, and then put it into my Thai account.  The reason being that Wire transfers are so ###### expensive and complicated.  If I can simply withdraw it directly myself, it would be ideal. Any ideas?

I have the money right now in my Canadian Account,  i just have to find the best way to put it into my Thai account by February 1.

thanks.

You do not have much time if you do not have a wire transfer agreement on file with your bank so if you are willing to take a chance I would recommend you not use the atm but go into the bank and make it a point of sale transaction at the counter directly into your account. This has been accepted by some immigration officers from reports.