Leaving The Uk

siamsam

Hi fellow visa members :o , I'm trusting I'll get some good advice from you guys. My circumstances are probably not unusual. Discovered Los at 25 yrs old, kept returning for small stints/hols. Met a lovely thai gal, married her, brought her back to the uk. Now both living/working in the uk, return to Thailand for occassional (not nearly enough!), hols. Problem is everytime I leave Los I feel like I'm leaving home and everytime I return to the uk I feel, well...................That's another story :D Anyway, now I'm 29, wifey is in early 30's. If I do decide on the move, I'd like to do it properly - If there is such a thing.

I've read about farangs who have done things the wrong? way. eg Running up debts, leaving families, jumping out of condo's etc etc And I've made up my mind that's the way that I personally don't want to do things. Wifey has a modest little place in Udon-thani, although I wasn't paticularly keen in the begining, It's grown on me and I now think It's a lovely little town.

In terms of practicality is where my need for advice lies. Some questions - What, in terms of pension/health care entitlement will I be leaving behind in the uk. In other words what rights will I "lose". Does my marriage entitle me to any visa advantages over the norm? If our relationship was to break down, would these visa entitlements be revoked? Would I arrange health insurance for out time in Thailand, in Thailand or in the uk? Is a full - time move at my age the way to go or is it best to stay where the money is? What other question should I be asking? Replies appreciated - siamsam :D

My circumstances are probably not unusual.

Being married to an older Thai woman is very unusual. Nothing wrong with it though.

You will probably get replies like stay in the UK until you have a house and a pension. That was the advice I got 12 years ago. I couldn't do it and have had a great time here in Thailand. I found work easily, not very good though.

If I had taken that advice, I would still be in the UK and still have another 25 years to go!

I haven't needed health insurance, but maybe lucky. You should get it in the UK if you can afford it. You can get special visas for being married, again if you can afford it.

Even if you are worse off financially, it is better to be happy.

Big question is, do you money? Do you need to work?

Go for it, and good luck.

Just go for it I would say but make sure you bring enough money to last 1-2 years in case you don't find a job, start a business or whatever.

It's probably not politically correct advice but in the end you live only once and if you have a dream you should follow it.

Best of luck.

Only you can answer whether or not a move is the right thing for you. The fact that you are asking the question here would suggest that you are not 100% certain about making a full move so I would say give it more thought and time.

Maybe you could have a 'trial' move for maybe 6 months or so and see how you get on.

>>>>> What other question should I be asking? Replies appreciated - siamsam <<<<

Here then is one question, IMHO :o

"do you fellas think its wiser to stay put and stay in the GAME for several years more, perhaps till I'm in my mid-to-late forties -- when I'll have a bundle of dough and NOT need to ever go back into the GAME to replenish the coffers?" :D

My circumstances are probably not unusual.

Being married to an older Thai woman is very unusual. Nothing wrong with it though.

It's not that unusual - my wife's 3 years older than me...

Pension - I have an Uncle who was in the Merchant Navy, so as he was mostly outside of the UK, he didn't make enough NI contributions to get a full state pension, but he does get supplementary benefit (less money, but something). On the other hand, he owns his house outright, and didn't have to pay tax on most of his lifetime income, so he's got enough money to live on. (not rich, but not poor either).

However, at 29, do you really think the state pension will still be there in 30 years time. (It might be - but if it still exists, it will be only be enough to live on for those who get it topped up by means-testing. - i.e. If you're going to be on minimum wage, or unemployed your entire life, it might be worth staying in the UK to keep it. Otherwise, it will probably be an irrelevance.).

If you can organise your finances so that you're going to be able to have enough money put aside to cover yourselves in old age, then it doesn't matter where you live. However, can you make enough money for that in Thailand? How it works for most Thais is, in old age, their children and grandchildren look after them. (i.e. there is no safety net).

By putting aside money - I do not mean a UK private pension plan. - The charges are generally quite high, the money is tied up until you're 50 (can be seen as a good thing in some ways), and the requirement to buy an annuity when you cash it in means you can suffer if interest rates are low when you retire. If staying in the UK, it's actually better to use ISAs, up to your ISA limit. (It's not tied up if you need the money, i.e. for the deposit on a house, and the gains are tax exempt).

The reason people say it's best to wait until you have a property in the UK, is that you can view rental income on that as a pseudo-pension. - i.e. rental income now will go towards paying the mortgage, when the mortgage is paid off, you have a "pension" as it will keep generating income (so long as it's still lettable). Also that income will, usually, rise over time, approx. in line with UK incomes. (i.e. sort-of index-linked pension, where YOU keep the asset in the long run.)

Your big issue is likely to be finding a job in Udon that will pay well enough for you to live on, AND save for retirement. (and if you have kids in the future, school fees at the international schools are high compared to normal Thai incomes).

One thing I would highlight - it's an idea to leave a move to Thailand until AFTER your wife has her UK passport. (i.e. she'll have dual nationality.) - as ILR status is lost after 2 years outside of the UK, which would mean, if you did want to return to the UK in the future, she'd have to go through another interview where you'd have to prove UK income / job offer (i.e. not going back to the UK, initially claiming benefits while you look for a job), and you'd have to stump up for another settlement visa. (and knowing rip-off Britain, the price will have gone up...)

Your marriage entitles you to a non-immigrant visa based on support of a Thai wife. - Apply at the Thai embassy or a consulate in the UK, and it's virtually a rubber-stamping process. You simply have to prove you're married (Marriage registration, wedding certificate, wife's ID card) - VERY different from getting a Thai spouse into the UK.

However, it only entitles you to 90 days on arrival, you then have to go to immigration to get an extension (or do visa runs). And for a non-Thai HUSBAND, you will have income requirements in order to get the extension. (do a search for the requirements).

Edited by bkk_mike

To follow up on bkk_mike's points about finance, make sure that you have all the accounts, investments, etc. you think you may need opened before you leave the UK. It is possible to open offshore accounts when you're overseas but it is much easier to open them in the UK and just transfer them.

If you are going to be living off your overseas money for a bit, remember that investment income is only taxable in Thailand if it is earned in Thailand or is brought into Thailand in the same tax year. In other words, if you earn interest on a UK account in 2005, it is taxable if you bring it into Thailand in 2005. If you don't bring it into Thailand until the 2006 tax year, it's not taxable. (NOTE: I'm not a tax advisor and may have simplified things a bit too much here - someone else correct me if I'm wrong!)

Can't offer any advice on whether moving here with your wife is the right thing to do - I'm a serial expat who would have trouble living back in the UK!

Good luck whatever you decide :o