How To Improve Image Quality For Lcd Screens On Analog Connections

Veazer

I see a lot of poorly setup monitors when i am working in different offices. Some are not even running at the right resolution, and some are at the right resolution but not properly adjusted. I thought i would post some info on how to get your monitor looking its best.

A few quick notes...

• If your computer and monitor have a digital connection (DVI), use it. It makes this tutorial unnecessary and give the best image quality.
  • I'm not going to cover color and brightness correction, this is just about getting you LCD to properly sync with the pixel geometry.\

1. First, make sure you're running at the native resolution of your monitor. Check the specs for your monitor and the then check the Windows display settings to verify that the monitor is running at the correct resolution. You can access the windows display settings by right-clicking the desktop and choosing "properties", then go to the settings tab.
  2. Find the "Auto" signal syncing function on the monitor. This is a function that tries to look at the current signal and digitize it so that each pixel from the analog signal matches a pixel on the LCD. If you press a button and the screen shift around a few pixels and re-centers, you've found it. The problem is, people usually press this button with a less that ideal test image and the monitor cannot properly sync to the signal. To make sure we're giving the best test image, we need to...
  3. Download the Nokia monitor test app here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Noki...wnload-464.html
  4. Run the Nokia monitor app, and look for the "moire" testing button. It is the fourth button from the left, bottom row. Click it.
  5. The monitor will now show a solid grey screen, click the screen 5 times until you see a test pattern of alternating black and white pixels (ie TINY checker board).
  6. Press the Auto signal sync button on your monitor and wait for it to line everything up. Done!

Hope this helps.