House Crimes & Prevention

GungaDin

The most powerful deterrent is having good neighbours around who are vigillant and look out for each other

Most Thais "don't want to get involved" with anything concerning the police. If they are not family, they will say yes to your face, but do little to actually help. Relying on the neighbours - at least in the big city - is probably a waste of time.

Not going to disagree with you, but my comment was not directed at Thais specifically, just a general observation having lived in a country where razor wire, highwalls guns, alarms etc was the norm in every household and the best deterrent in that circumstance was the neighbours looking out for each other..

Would my neighbour go and switch it off ? No, and that was because they're afraid of ghosts.?

:o:D ....seriously though....I have an alarm at my place and one of the neighbours has the keys and knows how to switch the alarm off if it goes off (it has on more than one occassion) and they have been very good do switch off and re-arm it....so to date never had a problem with ghosts...

The biggest concern I have with barring yourself into a house is what happens if you have a fire in the house and need to get out in hurry ??...

I am not advocating you dont install the bars (I have them installed on the windows) but you have to think the process through...you may succeed in keeping the burgulars out, but at the same time you could end up trapping yourself inside a house if you need to get out...

The average bars you buy in Thailand are hardly a deterrent, as a few minutes with a hacksaw or car wheel jack, and you can break your way through them..

Southpeel, you must have a nice neighbour, but that does not help the majority here. So, your reply is more than counter-productive. It's very dangerous. Most Thais would do NOTHING about criminal activities in the neighbourhood, except later. Then they would talk to everybody about that.

In another post, another section (Family) I posted my wife's sudden eagerness to stay in Japan "at least until Uni days" of our daughter. It's 13 years from now.

Interesting is - she said that after 2 weeks in Bangkok, just back last Sunday.

It's so cozy here (in Japan), no crime, no worries, 5 out of 7 days our doors are not locked overnight. Locked only if she enters her paranoia.

The worry might be: are we losing the immunity?

Would my neighbour go and switch it off ? No, and that was because they're afraid of ghosts.?

:o:D ....seriously though....I have an alarm at my place and one of the neighbours has the keys and knows how to switch the alarm off if it goes off (it has on more than one occassion) and they have been very good do switch off and re-arm it....so to date never had a problem with ghosts...

The biggest concern I have with barring yourself into a house is what happens if you have a fire in the house and need to get out in hurry ??...

I am not advocating you dont install the bars (I have them installed on the windows) but you have to think the process through...you may succeed in keeping the burgulars out, but at the same time you could end up trapping yourself inside a house if you need to get out...

The average bars you buy in Thailand are hardly a deterrent, as a few minutes with a hacksaw or car wheel jack, and you can break your way through them..

Southpeel, you must have a nice neighbour, but that does not help the majority here. So, your reply is more than counter-productive. It's very dangerous. Most Thais would do NOTHING about criminal activities in the neighbourhood, except later. Then they would talk to everybody about that.

How do you know it doesnt help the majority here....do you know the majority personally.. :D:D

My comments are not dangerous, they are observations...and your comments are generalisations..everyone is entitled to an opinion...I have stated my opinions based on personal experiences...both in Thailand and other countries...are my comments any more dangereous than the John Wayne/Rambo wannabes who advocate a .357 Magnum to solve their burglar problems ??...dont think so

As to my neighbours...not just the one who has my keys...they are all good and do look out for each other and Yes 90% of them are Thai

Many good suggestions here regarding prevention and the actual detection systems.

A sign informing anyone entering that they will be caught on video can be usefull.

Make sure to add that the video cam is hooked up to an UPS, so the burglars know cutting the power will not do it.

Travel why bother to give that info , they probably would not know what it means anyway, lets just catch the scumbags.

If they actually read the sign and leave your house alone they will only go somewhere else, I say catch them and take them out of the equation hopefully for some time.

Maybe you are a Ninja, but for the average expat, that would be too much to asked for.

The only way I could catch a burglar would be directing him somehow ("the safe is in that corner") to a trapdoor of an underground hole, if there would be one.

Actually I never advocated tackling a burglar just that if he/they were caught on camera then it could at least be given to the police, I now realise having that thought in my mind that I was having an alzheimer's moment or at the very least a touch of senile dementia.

How do you know it doesnt help the majority here....do you know the majority personally.. :D:D

My comments are not dangerous, they are observations...and your comments are generalisations..everyone is entitled to an opinion...I have stated my opinions based on personal experiences...both in Thailand and other countries...are my comments any more dangereous than the John Wayne/Rambo wannabes who advocate a .357 Magnum to solve their burglar problems ??...dont think so

As to my neighbours...not just the one who has my keys...they are all good and do look out for each other and Yes 90% of them are Thai

Very superficial!!

Do YOU know the majority?? Because you have a nice neighbour, that should be the trick? Can you say clearly: TRUST YOUR NEIGHBOUR IN THAILAND?? He will check and help, if troubles come?

A ridiculous, arrogant AND DANGEROUS statement!!!

You are misleading all newbies and ignorant ones here.

Some good info here, but no need for spitting the dummie and flaming.

The idea here, is to help one another. :o

thanks

gd :D

Couldn't agree more G/D. you really don't have to worry about good neighbours helping out as there are so many flaming arrows flying around your sure to nail one of the buggers, so lets all lighten up a bit.

A security Guard with a Whistle :D:D:o:D might be in order. Don't think an Arm Security Guard Lurking around would be a good idea. :D:wai:

Bigsnake, that idea won't work, said burglar would think the guy with the whistle was backing him into the victims driveway, although I've never understood what it means and just do my own thing.

thanks

Couldn't agree more G/D. you really don't have to worry about good neighbours helping out as there are so many flaming arrows flying around your sure to nail one of the buggers, so lets all lighten up a bit.

Replies given in this thread could be a matter of life or death for someone reading this and later to be face to face with a burglar in his sleeping room!!

That should be considered really very, very careful by everyone.

To be fair Birdy, Peely made observations from responses to GD's OP, everybody can either take it or leave it or if they prefer to expand on it.

If a noob to Thailand/anywhere in the world, wishes to trust a neighbour that they hardly know, well, they might get lucky, I would suggest Soutpeel has not just met the neighhbour he trusts with his keys.

I think his comments were valid, as were yours.

Good Luck

Moss

thanks

Replies given in this thread could be a matter of life or death for someone reading this and later to be face to face with a burglar in his sleeping room!!

That should be considered really very, very careful by everyone.

Do you honestly think for one minute that anyone and that includes so called newbies have never seen the majority of newish houses that aren't barricaded like Alcatraz and to think if thats the case they have not given security some serious thought with regards to a property they are buying/building. I have lights and dogs plus a few other unseen defences and I refuse to live in a bloody prison with bars everywhere,and anyway what are the chances of getting your house broken into, is the figure higher here or in London?.

what I find quite amazing is the fact that a lot of farangs I know take all the precautions imaginable about protecting material wealth then ride a motorcycle with no blooming helmet on. in fact do posters really think that the average thai thief really wants to be confronted by some pi---d off falang, not all theives are that brave or stupid and like most will attempt a break-in when people are out. {I hope}.

To be fair Birdy, Peely made observations from responses to GD's OP, everybody can either take it or leave it or if they prefer to expand on it.

If a noob to Thailand/anywhere in the world, wishes to trust a neighbour that they hardly know, well, they might get lucky, I would suggest Soutpeel has not just met the neighhbour he trusts with his keys.

I think his comments were valid, as were yours.

Good Luck

Moss

Moss thanks for the support mate...

I actually left a country after many years living with a siege mentality simply because I didnt want to deal with the subject this posting anymore...its not a way to live, behind high walls, razor wire, alarm sytems, firearms etc etc....

Moss you are correct...I have not only just met the neighbours, I trust my keys with....I have known them for years and trust them, and the same way my neighbours keep an eye on my place, they expect the same from me.

What I would suggest to people is try and interact with your Thai neighbours and build some sort of relationship...you might be pleasantly suprised, not going to say it will work everytime...

Its very apparant to me that there are a lot of posters on TV who have an "old colonial" attitude towards Thailand and the Thai people, and some of the comments I have read over time on TV would not have been out of place in colonial India...

just posted a new topic on crime figures for Thailand 2008 and the U.K. virtually the same populations, overall crime figures very similar per head of population Thai figures for burglary 2.3% and the U.K. was 12% these are apprx figures and are a percentage of overall crime numbers.

My guess is that FAR less crimes are reported in Thailand, because pweople do not want to get involved with the police and do not expect them to solve the crimes. I know that it is not always easy to get the police to file a report when something does happen.

Many good suggestions here regarding prevention and the actual detection systems.

A sign informing anyone entering that they will be caught on video can be usefull.

Make sure to add that the video cam is hooked up to an UPS, so the burglars know cutting the power will not do it.

Travel why bother to give that info , they probably would not know what it means anyway, lets just catch the scumbags.

If they actually read the sign and leave your house alone they will only go somewhere else, I say catch them and take them out of the equation hopefully for some time.

If they are smart enough to sidestep some of the methods already described here, I would prressume they would be doing some sort of recon, before they enter a house.

It is common knowledge that criminals would move on to an easier target whenever they have the option to do so.

Of course, some of the members here talk about catching them.

I would believe prevention is better than trying to catch them.

Travel, by definition of catching the thief was relating to the camera idea and then if you do, actually hand the film to the police.

I actually posted again admiiting that after giving that idea some thougt I concluded I'd had an alzheimers moment or senile dementia was settling in.

If they are smart enough to sidestep some of the methods already described here, I would prressume they would be doing some sort of recon, before they enter a house.

It is common knowledge that criminals would move on to an easier target whenever they have the option to do so.

Of course, some of the members here talk about catching them.

I would believe prevention is better than trying to catch them.

I had a look at the exterior lights with a built in sensor yesterday at HomePro.

950 bt for a bloody light !!!!!! :o

Plus cabling, labour etc.

Does anyone know of cheaper lights and where to buy them.

BTW, HP had no internal movement detectors.

Has anyone replaced the glass of the ext lights, with something like "Lucite" (perspex) or similar?

Those lights could be put out of action with a slingshot, something most Thais seem to have.

Maybe a mod could move this topic to the DIY section now? :D:D

cheers

gd

edit: My favourite window stickers

xws11.gif

xws02.gif

xrg08.gif

How would they look in Thai? :D

Any Photoshop users out there?

Edited by GungaDin

I had a look at the exterior lights with a built in sensor yesterday at HomePro.

BTW, HP had no internal movement detectors.

Has anyone replaced the glass of the ext lights, with something like "Lucite" (perspex) or similar?

Those lights could be put out of action with a slingshot, something most Thais seem to have.

G/D That first poster is great, love it.

Maybe a mod could move this topic to the DIY section now? :D:D

cheers

gd

edit: My favourite window stickers

xws11.gif

xws02.gif

xrg08.gif

How would they look in Thai? :D

Any Photoshop users out there?

CCTV CAMERA, ETC:

I instructed my office manager to install CCTV cameras, recording equipment etc., and to use a reputable profesional firm.

Whilst I was away from Thailand for a few days, friend of office manager bought some stuff and installed it. Result:

- CCTV cameras used need electricity, so standard household plastic powerpoints were installed, most of them on top of the fences (never mind about the rain) making it very easy for the kamoy to unplug the electricity to the camera in less than a second, and without being seen on camera.

- All camera images from 20 cameras feed onto one old and very small monitor screen. Image from each camera is about 2.5 cm square. 20 images on one screen at same time, it's just a mess of tiny moving pictures and impossible for anybody to monitor properly.

- Recording equipment cannot be continuous. "when you notice something wrong, then you start the recording function", with total time of 90 seconds.

Of course my office manager thinks she's done something wonderful because she saved a lot of money by going this route rather than using a professional security consultant.

And there have been comments from my engineering staff criticizing the management (me) for the way this has been done, and I don't blame them for being critical. Not a good way to etablish credibility with your workforce.

Lesson: supervise something like this yourself, every step.

Well, I guess if your house and contents are only worth 1000 bht when 950 bht plus cable and installation is over the top.

Reminds me of the story - when asked "should I pay $20 or $500 for a crash helmet to wear when riding my motor cycle" - It really depends on the value of your head - if it's only worth $20 then buy a $20 helmet.

You can see a very wide variety in both quality and prices of Security systems and all sorts of lighting at the "E5 ENGINEERING" show held this year at BITEC in Bangkok June 18,19 and 20. I attended this show three years ago at a different convention center and it helped me greatly in selecting lighting and security for my up country home. You can speak with technical and sales staff who UNDERSTAND and SPEAK English. The web site is www.e5thailand.com Interior and Exterior lighting, for normal residential applications and industrial applications. Security Lighting was on display when I attended.

I found that purchasing good quality lighting for our home in Buriram Province I got much lower price bids from an Independent Electrical fixture/bulb shop for both fixtures and quality light bulbs. They even gave a lower price than the manufactures representative would at the Home Pro Expo, let alone much lower than walking in the door of a Home Pro. Who ever does your lighting fixture installation just be sure to see the use of wire nuts and not black tape or "twist and pray".

I chose to have a CCTV system installed by the same firm that has experience in municipal transportation projects in Bangkok after getting detailed written price bids from six reputable security firms. This contract was signed well in advance due to rg6 cables, VFF wires and cat 5e cable being installed in conduit in our walls way before the plastering and painting process. I might have spent less money on CCTV had I realized the "value" and ease of the installation of the electric fence. The electric fence decision was made about the same time I had firm written price quotes of window security bars and three additional sides of metal fence toppings. The electric fence, intruder alarm and CCTV all have signs in Thai, with a Thai sign warning of cutting any power lines. The local Police have a fine arrangement for alarm monitoring in our community but T.I.T. and different towns have different policies.

You can see working samples of CCTV, security devices and lighting at the E5 Engineering show in Bangkok in both the lower price ranges as well as more expensive elaborate systems.

The one thing I have not yet sourced in Thailand is good quality SOLAR GARDEN lighting at a price that is not stupid. Being a Costco and Sam's Club member in California I was just spoiled with the selection of energy efficient, stainless steel l.e.d. solar lights that actually work and do not cost an arm and leg. But I never had elephants come by my home in California for 100 baht each so I'll not complain.

post-20604-1239350193_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1239350219_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1239350233_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
GungaDin

Put up lights outside house and in garden connected to light sensor that turn them on at dusk and off, when it is dawn.

Fit motion detectors INSIDE HOUSE where there are doors IE front/back door.

Contact Sensors on windows all linked to flashing light and loud siren.

Don't forget motion detector in the roof, as favorite trick is to take off tiles and get access that way.

Good luck and stay safe.

Ps, If they do get in they will nick the laptop. :)

:D

That's exactly what the bastard was after, unfortunately for me he got some small expensive toys as well as the laptop.

Everything would have fitted in his jacket pockets.

He worked alone & I'm still waiting to "interview" the yapping cleaner but she's not coming forward.

Entry was through the back (bolted) door, nothing was taken from the ground floor.

Police were useless, as usual.