Is It Normal To Ignore Each Other

spidercat

Most of us here at Thaivisa are aliens in a foreign land with the widest of language barriers, far from the familiar environment of our native country's. Because of this when problems occur we may find ourselves in a situation that we have no control in and feeling extremely vulnerable, exposed and somewhat helpless, problems can soon begin to feel much worse than they are. With the internet and forums such as this, help is at hand bringing together a vast amount of knowledge and experience and by simply submitting a post explaining the predicament, support and guidance will soon be given by more people than you could ever hope to meet and before long everything can be put into perspective and a plan put together to solve the problem.

With this in mind I cannot help but wonder why some members can be so ignorant that once their problems have been resolved they do not have the common decency to inform us of the outcome, even going so far as to ignore personal messages requesting their wellbeing. If they are able to request help in the first place I am sure they can find the time to reply if they wanted as some even continue to post totally useless comments and remarks in other topics. Perhapse there are some of us who have a selfish streak running through them, maybe their only thoughts are of their own 'superior' wellbeing and we are of no use and not worthy of their respect...............Until the next time!!!

Does this happen often or is it the attitude of a minority?

Because there are a large number of troll "situations" which people post just to get a reaction... they have no intention of coming back to thread, seeing as the situation never actually existed.

They just want to have a laugh at getting some other people riled up, or as a chance to spew some disguised bigotry hoping to find some confirmation that some others share their warped views.

Edited by dave111223

Most of us here at Thaivisa are aliens in a foreign land with the widest of language barriers, far from the familiar environment of our native country's. Because of this when problems occur we may find ourselves in a situation that we have no control in and feeling extremely vulnerable, exposed and somewhat helpless, problems can soon begin to feel much worse than they are. With the internet and forums such as this, help is at hand bringing together a vast amount of knowledge and experience and by simply submitting a post explaining the predicament, support and guidance will soon be given by more people than you could ever hope to meet and before long everything can be put into perspective and a plan put together to solve the problem.

With this in mind I cannot help but wonder why some members can be so ignorant that once their problems have been resolved they do not have the common decency to inform us of the outcome, even going so far as to ignore personal messages requesting their wellbeing. If they are able to request help in the first place I am sure they can find the time to reply if they wanted as some even continue to post totally useless comments and remarks in other topics. Perhapse there are some of us who have a selfish streak running through them, maybe their only thoughts are of their own 'superior' wellbeing and we are of no use and not worthy of their respect...............Until the next time!!!

good point but let me tell you some thing

1 members of this forum are not interestet in your personal well being

2 they only interestet in talking about your problem

3 and go on and on

4 so they have a new topic

5 can you blame any body for not keeping it secret?

Because there are a large number of troll "situations" which people post just to get a reaction... they have no intention of coming back to thread, seeing as the situation never actually existed.

They just want to have a laugh at getting some other people riled up, or as a chance to spew some disguised bigotry hoping to find some confirmation that some others share their warped views.

Hi Dave

I know what you're saying, there are always going to be some morons about I agree.

But in this case I am referring to a particular chap who was in an awkward situation and his post was ongoing for a week or so, it was prematurely closed without a conclusion being added. I had noticed that he was relatively young and one might think somewhat 'wet behind the ears'. He believed he was going to be a victim of the Mafia and feared never to see the next sunset let alone the next sunrise! There were many posts supporting him lots of guidance given. I wished him well and kept monitoring the thread until it was closed, I have sent two personel messages requesting his wellbeing and have been ignored both times, and that I feel is downright selfish.

3 and go on and on

Hello Fred

Please, allow me to tell you something: -

1 Assume some members have interest in fellow members well being - After all, the replies to assist in a problem suggest 'help'

2 Agreed, many do just want something to talk about but some of us do like to help folk.

3 They can a bit, yes!

4 Unfortunate for them if they don't have a life.

5 Once someone has asked for help on here- Its not a secret. Ignoring requests for updates is just plain ignorant

Hi Dave

I know what you're saying, there are always going to be some morons about I agree.

But in this case I am referring to a particular chap who was in an awkward situation and his post was ongoing for a week or so, it was prematurely closed without a conclusion being added. I had noticed that he was relatively young and one might think somewhat 'wet behind the ears'. He believed he was going to be a victim of the Mafia and feared never to see the next sunset let alone the next sunrise! There were many posts supporting him lots of guidance given. I wished him well and kept monitoring the thread until it was closed, I have sent two personel messages requesting his wellbeing and have been ignored both times, and that I feel is downright selfish.

:o Maybe the Mafia did get him!! :D

Hi Dave

:o Maybe the Mafia did get him!! :D

Now I would not ignore your PM I never do but I had a lot of PM's concerning the problem I had

I answered but never got an response from the sender you get all the crap yeah I know how you feel

and I try to help you and that is the end of the line

I think just a mixture of laziness and paranoia.

Laziness: You only have to see how many posters never bother to even scroll down the first page of active threads in a forum before posting their unique and special query - let alone using the search facility (heaven forbid going to that much trouble when there are people willing to spoon-feed you!). A lot of these queries could be answered just with a google or yahoo search anyway.

Thaivisa is like a giant library of knowledge. When most people first arrive at a library do they go over to the catalogue and search what's there, or do they just go to the front desk and ask them to order a new book in? "Oh the poor newbie, doesn't know about the search facility". Yeah right. That or dumb and lazy

Paranoia: I get the feeling some posters think it is just a bank of machines that spit out the answers (another reason for not bothering to search first). We all know machines don't have feelings. Oh, but when a PM arrives, yikes there's a person there. Might be a psycho, might be gay, better to just ignore them and they'll go away.

I think just a mixture of laziness and paranoia.

Laziness: You only have to see how many posters never bother to even scroll down the first page of active threads in a forum before posting their unique and special query - let alone using the search facility (heaven forbid going to that much trouble when there are people willing to spoon-feed you!). A lot of these queries could be answered just with a google or yahoo search anyway.

Thaivisa is like a giant library of knowledge. When most people first arrive at a library do they go over to the catalogue and search what's there, or do they just go to the front desk and ask them to order a new book in? "Oh the poor newbie, doesn't know about the search facility". Yeah right. That or dumb and lazy

Paranoia: I get the feeling some posters think it is just a bank of machines that spit out the answers (another reason for not bothering to search first). We all know machines don't have feelings. Oh, but when a PM arrives, yikes there's a person there. Might be a psycho, might be gay, better to just ignore them and they'll go away.

I guess I better ignore all of you then, you might be all gay or psychos

Been on ThaiVisaDotCom for a few years now (2003) :o doing me bits and pieces, having met a few members and introduced some as well.

When I post, I post to help our members on this forum, if by chance they happen to say good things to me or about me, these are greatly appreciated, :D but I most certainly do not post for that reason.

So what is the big deal then 'spidercat'? You helped someone and now just because they did not say "Ta mate, you where a great help' you have a bee in your bonnet. I do not have a problem like you seem to have here on this forum. :D

You want to help our fellow members, then keep on helping without the need for a 'Thank You Very Big' :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. Good post btw, hope that makes you feel better :wai:

Hi Dave

:D Maybe the Mafia did get him!! :D

:o:D:D

Yeah, good one!

Been on ThaiVisaDotCom for a few years now (2003) :o doing me bits and pieces, having met a few members and introduced some as well.

When I post, I post to help our members on this forum, if by chance they happen to say good things to me or about me, these are greatly appreciated, :D but I most certainly do not post for that reason.

So what is the big deal then 'spidercat'? You helped someone and now just because they did not say "Ta mate, you where a great help' you have a bee in your bonnet. I do not have a problem like you seem to have here on this forum. :D

You want to help our fellow members, then keep on helping without the need for a 'Thank You Very Big' :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. Good post btw, hope that makes you feel better :P

Well well well..............You are a real hero mate! But after all this time of you being 'here', you still haven't got the hang of it.........

Read the post, absorb it and reply accordingly........Where in my post did I say I requested a thank you (big or small) or a 'Ta' come to that???

No sir, What I asked for was a simple update to his situation.....That is all, nothing more, nothing less.

Oh! One more thing.......Thank you for allowing me to continue helping our fellow members, I shall try to do so without asking for 'very big thank you' :wai:

I have met some nice people (most) on Thai Visa. On the other hand, I have met a couple of genuine bums. After you try to treat people well and they have taken advantage of you, you tend to be a little more cautious and not as open as you previously were. I see some posts that at least to me, are from trolls and some that are seriously asking for advice. Some asking for genuine advice are often insulted and I don't blame them for not responding although it is quite rude not to answer well meaning private messages.

I have met some nice people (most) on Thai Visa. On the other hand, I have met a couple of genuine bums. After you try to treat people well and they have taken advantage of you, you tend to be a little more cautious and not as open as you previously were. I see some posts that at least to me, are from trolls and some that are seriously asking for advice. Some asking for genuine advice are often insulted and I don't blame them for not responding although it is quite rude not to answer well meaning private messages.

Thanks Gary, you seem to have got the 'gist' of the thread unlike some members! I take your point, a bit of caution is sometimes wise and it doesn't hurt to keep selected info close to your chest.

A good reply mate. Thanks again.

Spidercat,

Just read the thread you are on about, which is now closed by the way, agree was interesting.

BUT me thinks something strange and fishy about it, and i also think some people know a bit more about the story.

Know what i mean!

:o

Hi dudemeister

Yes, it closed a while back, I did enquire as to why it closed but no real answer, because as you note 'it was interesting' and I was there as it unfolded. You are travelling along a similar trail to me, with those thoughts!

I think there are two problems for people asking for and receiving advice here on TV.

Problem 1. When an individual asks for advice, s/he will almost immediately be assailed by a barrage of abuse and ridicule from the usual suspects who delight in taking the p1ss out of other people's problems

Problem 2. Very often the large amount of sincere and thought out advice that is available here on TV might not be what the person asking for advice wants to hear.

As I've pointed out before, the definition of what is good advice here on TV too often seems to be advice that agrees what the person seeking advice already believes to be his/her best course of action. Bad advice being that which disagrees with what they already think or believe.

I think between these two problems we have the reason why many, but certainly not all, people asking for advice don't come back to say thank you - They don't like what the advice they receive.

I think there are two problems for people asking for and receiving advice here on TV.

Problem 1. When an individual asks for advice, s/he will almost immediately be assailed by a barrage of abuse and ridicule from the usual suspects who delight in taking the p1ss out of other people's problems

Problem 2. Very often the large amount of sincere and thought out advice that is available here on TV might not be what the person asking for advice wants to hear.

As I've pointed out before, the definition of what is good advice here on TV too often seems to be advice that agrees what the person seeking advice already believes to be his/her best course of action. Bad advice being that which disagrees with what they already think or believe.

I think between these two problems we have the reason why many, but certainly not all, people asking for advice don't come back to say thank you - They don't like what the advice they receive.

Some fair points GuestHouse but with this issue: - It was not I that gave advice, only support. Also as I said previously, I did not ask for, expect or even want a thank you...Just a....Its all sorted, have new PP and have been paid...or...Can't talk now I'm fitting my concrete boots....

I just checked out the thread

Sounds to me as though Mr Boater has probably left the country

Has probably put Thailand behind him, hence no conclusion to the story

Hi robbiecia

I don't think our friend Mr B has left the country, even so he still has access to the forum.

I'd like to think that he got his new job and his old boss got 'put in his place'. But............Who knows!

It would have been nice to know but good luck to him anyway.

3 and go on and on

Very well put and absolutely agree.

I have found this is real life too. Problems and misfortunes maybe judged on entertainment value.

It is not normal at all.

Us newbies that get the help from the old timers should never forget.As we get a little more expierence we shall pass this on.Its simple.Nobody is asking to get their ass kissed but the use of some basic manners goes a long way and doesn't cost anything.

As for Lithobids comments about ignoring each other whether it be on the street or in the supermarkets,which I have seen, is pathetic.A simple "hi" is ok.This also doesn't cost any money.Unless he is wearing a Man U top of course :o