First Time Non-imm O

Ok,here we go.

I'm about to apply for a non-imm 'O' visa.

I'm a uk citizen no way close to retirement and I'm married to a Thai citizen.The wife and I have a house in Thailand.Also we have a joint bank account with the so called 400,000 or 600,000 in that I've read we need.I dont want to retire but i want to live there and work overseas when needed.

So the questions;

1.The embassy in London or a consulate elewhere in England?

2.Single entry or multiple entry? (i'm thinking the latter)

3.Documents needed to take with me to the embassy/consulate.

4.If goes well,how long will they give me?

5.Steps taken for re-newal(inside Thailand or overseas)

6.Once re-newed,how long do they give?

7.How many times can it be re-newed?

Hats off to the guys who answer these questions on a weekly basis!

I did check back about ten pages then got fed up. :o

1. Other consulates are normally easier - see two.

2. Multi entry would be easier with frequent travel - but you must leave every 90 days. No address reports or re-entry permits required. No need for bank balance.

3. For multi from Hull your passport, photos and application paperwork. You can call or visit web site. Can be done by mail.

4. One year validity from date of issue - up to 15 months in Thailand if you enter just before expires for a new 90 day stay.

5. Overseas. Inside Thailand would require extension of stay, bank balance and a bit of paperwork with wife at an Immigration office during last 30 days of permitted to stay stamp. If not working/traveling may be what you want.

6. One year.

7. Up to consulate if taking about new visa - no limit if taking about Immigration extensions of stay.

Ok,here we go.

I'm a uk citizen no way close to retirement and I'm married to a Thai citizen.The wife and I have a house in Thailand.Also we have a joint bank account with the so called 400,000 or 600,000 in that I've read we need.I dont want to retire but i want to live there and work overseas when needed.

So the questions;

1.The embassy in London or a consulate elewhere in England? Use the consulate in Hull, send by special overnight delivery and you will receive back 2 days later

2.Single entry or multiple entry? (i'm thinking the latter) Multiple is generally easier, but you will have to do a border run every 3 months

3.Documents needed to take with me to the embassy/consulate. None. If you use Hull you do not need proof of funds in the bank. All you need is the application form from their website, 1 photo (or 2 - can't remember, check the website), and a declaration stating that you have enough money to repatriate yourself if necessary (this is included in the downloadable application pack). State the reason for your visa as 'Visiting Friends'.

4.If goes well,how long will they give me? 1 year multi entry

5.Steps taken for re-newal(inside Thailand or overseas) You can't renew it as such. You can either travel back to the UK and apply for a new one, or apply here for an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai - that's when you have to show money in the bank/ income which changes on a regular basis, so keep an eye on the regulations

6.Once re-newed,how long do they give? For extension of stay 1 year, with 90 day reports to local immigration

7.How many times can it be re-newed? Indefinitely as long as you can meet the criteria of the day

I did check back about ten pages then got fed up. :D

It's very simple getting your first non-o in the UK, after that you need to decide if you want to travel back to the UK every 15 months (by doing your last border run just before expiry you can make it last this long), or bare your soul to the Thai authorities on an extension of stay.

I chose the former as I am not married and alot under 50, gives me an excuse to catch up with family and friends every 15 months, and am now on my 4th consecutive multi entry non-o all of which have been obtained as described above.

Good luck :o

Edit// Just seen Lopburi and I were replying at the same time, and I have pretty much duplicated his answers - at least it confirms it's correct!

Edited by QED

Ok,here we go.

So the questions;

1.The embassy in London or a consulate elewhere in England? Use the consulate in Hull, send by special overnight delivery and you will receive back 2 days later

2.Single entry or multiple entry? (i'm thinking the latter) Multiple is generally easier, but you will have to do a border run every 3 months

3.Documents needed to take with me to the embassy/consulate. None. If you use Hull you do not need proof of funds in the bank. All you need is the application form from their website, 1 photo (or 2 - can't remember, check the website), and a declaration stating that you have enough money to repatriate yourself if necessary (this is included in the downloadable application pack). State the reason for your visa as 'Visiting Friends'.

4.If goes well,how long will they give me? 1 year multi entry

5.Steps taken for re-newal(inside Thailand or overseas) You can't renew it as such. You can either travel back to the UK and apply for a new one, or apply here for an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai - that's when you have to show money in the bank/ income which changes on a regular basis, so keep an eye on the regulations

6.Once re-newed,how long do they give? For extension of stay 1 year, with 90 day reports to local immigration

7.How many times can it be re-newed? Indefinitely as long as you can meet the criteria of the day

I did check back about ten pages then got fed up. :D

It's very simple getting your first non-o in the UK, after that you need to decide if you want to travel back to the UK every 15 months (by doing your last border run just before expiry you can make it last this long), or bare your soul to the Thai authorities on an extension of stay.

I chose the former as I am not married and alot under 50, gives me an excuse to catch up with family and friends every 15 months, and am now on my 4th consecutive multi entry non-o all of which have been obtained as described above.

Good luck :o

Edit// Just seen Lopburi and I were replying at the same time, and I have pretty much duplicated his answers - at least it confirms it's correct!

Ok

So just to clear this up,you say a single entry allows you to stay up to 15 months.Do the consulate ask what type you want (single/multiple) ? Do you still have to report every 90 days to your nearest office in LOS? Also is it possible to apply for a new one in a nieghbouring country?

Many thanks again boys.

Ok

So just to clear this up,you say a single entry allows you to stay up to 15 months.Do the consulate ask what type you want (single/multiple) ? Do you still have to report every 90 days to your nearest office in LOS? Also is it possible to apply for a new one in a nieghbouring country?

Many thanks again boys.

No, a single will only give you 1 entry of 90 days. A Multiple will give you an unlimited entries of 90 days, after which you have to leave the county and come right back in. By leaving just before the visa expires, you get another stay of 90 days. This way you can get almost 15 months out of it. But you have to leave the country every 90 days. Bacause of this you won't be staying longer then 90 days and not have to report your address every 90 days.

Edit:

for visiting friends you will only get a single entry from neighbouring countries, if they give you one at all.

1. Apply to Hull for a multiple entry 'O' visa. Photocopy your marriage certificate and include it with the application. Hull are very visa friendly and you'll get one no probs within 3 days of post. Don't use the embassy in London.

2. Come to Thailand and exit after 90 days (this is the normal procedure). You can either stamp out and stamp in again the same day, or take the wife with you and have a few days away. This is called a 'border run'.

3. After your 1st or even 2nd border run, you can apply for an extension based on marriage and you won't have to do any more border runs every 90 days (but you will have to report to your local immigration office every 90 days instead).

4. Once you are confident and get to know the ropes and your way around, tune into thaivisa.com and you'll be kept advised of procedure, new laws and any necessary documents needed for an extension. For an extension, you cannot have a joint account, only an a/c in your name with B400k.

This is where the fun begins!! Hull is the easy part!!

Edited by jamesjdaly

1. Apply to Hull for a multiple entry 'O' visa. Photocopy your marriage certificate and include it with the application. Hull are very visa friendly and you'll get one no probs within 3 days of post. Don't use the embassy in London.

Ok another question.

Do I tell them I'm visiting my wife or visiting friends?

One of the other guys said to say "visiting friends".Is there any differnce when applying?

Edited by longstebe

With a copy of a marriage cert, I'd tell them you're visiting your wife. It's the truth!!

Don't forget with Hull, they want 3 forms

1. Application form

2. Self Guarantee form

3. Payment form

Send by Special Delivery (£5 each way) and guaranteed delivery back to you in 3 days.

Ok another question.

Do I tell them I'm visiting my wife or visiting friends?

One of the other guys said to say "visiting friends".Is there any differnce when applying?

I only said that as it has worked for me for the last 4 years. There is a possibility that when you mention your wife they could start asking for more info. Keep it simple is my motto.