Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

as of yesterday, no surcharge at BBL

what do the aforementioned banks SCB (owned by Crown Property Bureau), TMB (Thai Military Bank)and Krung Thai (government owned) have in common :o?

Edited by uhuh

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as of yesterday, no surcharge at BBL

what do the aforementioned banks SCB (owned by Crown Property Bureau), TMB (Thai Military Bank)and Krung Thai (government owned) have in common :o ?

Your smiley indicates you seem to know the answer please tell then,

Or is it a genuine question?

If so their all part of a ca*t*l namely the Thai Banking Association

Thanks Langsuan Man... I do appreciate hearing/knowing your experience with ETrade... As I said, I'm thinking to go ahead and give them a try for their checking...

But I also believe in having multiple options available, since things are always changing. So I've already signed up for a Schwab account (reimburses foreign fees) and another regular bank one with free/reimbursed ATM use worldwide...

Between the three of them, I should be covered! :o

The question that should be asked is if this 150THB ATM charge will be itemised and shown on your home bank statement on top of the existing overseas terminal transaction fee, the international transaction fee and in the case of a debit card only the non ( your bank) ATM withdrawal fee.

The first two sets of charges apply to credit cards, the last fee applies to debit cards only.

If it is not shown you will have not been charged.

Will it be shown on your ATM receipt for your information?

The question that should be asked is if this 150THB ATM charge will be itemised and shown on your home bank statement on top of the existing overseas terminal transaction fee, the international transaction fee and in the case of a debit card only the non ( your bank) ATM withdrawal fee.

The first two sets of charges apply to credit cards, the last fee applies to debit cards only.

If it is not shown you will have not been charged.

Will it be shown on your ATM receipt for your information?

In the Uk the Banks just show the total transaction in my experience.

When the UK Link ATM system charges you £1.50 say at these convenience ATM's usually privately owned machines my bank just show the total including the fee so a tenner would be shown as £11.50 on the statement i suppose it depends on each banks software.

In Thailand the Banks always show any fee on the receipt as i've made many Thai bank to Thai bank transfers using ATM's & the usual 25 baht fee is there plain to see the same goes for the SCB 20 baht fee they were already charging foreign cards prior to this new fee.

So keep your receipts if your home banks refund the fee as your back up,but be warned many ATM's don't always have ink in there to print so you may get a blank slip as i've had in the past.

I used my nationwide debit card yesterday. just wanted a couple of thousand out so cancelled the transaction when I was notified I would be charged 150 baht. I'll check all the banks first to see if any are not charging and then take the maximum I can out at one time. Simple.

probably save 150 baht in fuel costs by making one or two transactions instead of 10.

I used my nationwide debit card yesterday. just wanted a couple of thousand out so cancelled the transaction when I was notified I would be charged 150 baht. I'll check all the banks first to see if any are not charging and then take the maximum I can out at one time. Simple.

probably save 150 baht in fuel costs by making one or two transactions instead of 10.

Jubby what bank was that you used today?? I understand that Kasikorn & Bangkok are ones that haven't charged up to now but that may change today as they open for the first time in a week.

Try drawing the 2000 in branch with your passport i believe they may not charge you for this service let us know how you go on,again Kasikorn seem the most friendly for this service.

I'm sure it was TMB. can't understand why they have to go OTT with whats close to the national minimum wage rather than just passing on a reasonable charge, say 20 baht. I have a banking background and know that the transactions cost next to nothing. maybe I'll have to start thinking about using international transfers again. Keeps the old grey matter working for a solution I suppose.

150 baht? That is US$4.28 per transaction.

It should be illegal for a bank to charge that much for a service that cost the bank almost nothing.

Why are they doing this? Once again the underlying message is: Thailand does not want you......foreigners go away.

Congratulations.......maybe the banks are working in concert with immigration to totally destroy tourism in Thailand. It seems that way.

Got bored reading through everyone's opinions about how they THINK it will work. Has anyone made a withdrawal since yesterday when the new charge was supposed to be introduced. Some information on what ACTUALLY happens would be nice.

Siam Commercial charge - a warning comes up before you complete the transaction that it will cost 150B.

I used Kasikorn who to date has not charged. This was with a Nationwide Card.

Got bored reading through everyone's opinions about how they THINK it will work. Has anyone made a withdrawal since yesterday when the new charge was supposed to be introduced. Some information on what ACTUALLY happens would be nice.

You could get off your arse and try for yourself - I believe they have ATMs in Pattaya. If you are not in Thailand then <deleted> and wait for someone to do your groundwork for you !

Withdrew B15000 at Kasikorn on Saturday. Receipt says zero fee amount. Checked my bank account online and again it does not look like I was charged fee.

Was at Esplanada Mall today/ 20-April and did a withdrawal from a Kasikorn ATM. Receipt said no fee and checking online back to my USA Capital One Account there was no fee there either nor was the exchange rate reduced due to a fee. I hope this holds true.

Tried Siam City ATM today 20th April 13.00 with a Nationwide visa debit and a Nationwide cirrus debit both said would charge 150 baht, declined and went to Kasikorn both cards where free to withdraw at that time. We will see if they change in the week.

Tried Siam City ATM today 20th April 13.00 with a Nationwide visa debit and a Nationwide cirrus debit both said would charge 150 baht, declined and went to Kasikorn both cards where free to withdraw at that time. We will see if they change in the week.

Thanks Whitesand some solid news there for us Brits then & that seems to answer the Nationwide Cirrus issue as well, as you say only time will tell.

Can you please keep us posted as an when you use the ATM again i think if Kasikorn are not charging this time next week then i think it will be looking good that their not going to charge this fee, come on Kasikorn you can do it.

Edited by Mali1964

Still no fees from BKK Bank or Kasikorn as of Monday afternoon.

Did back to back ATM withdrawals at BKK Bank and Kasikorn Bank ATMs in BKK this afternoon, about 3 pm. No fee from either, and identical exchange rate on my withdrawals using a U.S.-based bank debit/check card with the MasterCard logo (Cirrus). Exchange rate for both was 35.06, or $85.56 each for 3,000 baht.

The BKK Bank receipt has no text info on it relating to any fee, same as always in the past. I haven't used Kasikorn regularly before, so I don't know their history. But the Kasikorn receipt I got today has a line right under the withdrawal amount that says "Fee Amount", but the amount listed was "0".

Still no fees from BKK Bank or Kasikorn as of Monday afternoon.

Did back to back ATM withdrawals at BKK Bank and Kasikorn Bank ATMs in BKK this afternoon, about 3 pm. No fee from either, and identical exchange rate on my withdrawals using a U.S.-based bank debit/check card with the MasterCard logo (Cirrus). Exchange rate for both was 35.06, or $85.56 each for 3,000 baht.

The BKK Bank receipt has no text info on it relating to any fee, same as always in the past. I haven't used Kasikorn regularly before, so I don't know their history. But the Kasikorn receipt I got today has a line right under the withdrawal amount that says "Fee Amount", but the amount listed was "0".

Hi jfc

Bangkok bank only seem to show the fee on the slip when its chargeable ie when i paid monthly a small loan for our Hino Truck via the ATM from my Thai account the 25 baht fee is shown or when you use your card out of province they charge 10 baht & that shows as a fee

But as you say for foreign use the print out is basic & sometimes it gives you an estimated balance of your foreign account in baht & sometimes it does not,i think its just a software issue with how much info they want to print out.

I'm sure if they do start to charge (hope not) it will show separately as a fee.

But so far so good & thanks to everyone for their footwork on this, this its what makes Thai Visa so good & informative.

Big deal. Banks are busineses, not public services.

:D

Many major British, European and American banks are most certainly not private stand alone businesses, you could be sure the same rules would apply to Thai banks in similar circumstances.

You know of major British, European, and American banks that are NOT profit oriented? Which ones?

I wasn't suggesting that all banks have the same business model, but in the end most if not all are in business. Serving the public does not have to = for the public good, some folks buy into PR ads too much.

:D

There are still some mutuals in the UK.

Nationwide is a well known one. A mutual is actually owned by its members, not shareholders. Because Nationwide is not driven totally by profit, members often get preferential rates. That is why the cheapest ATM withdrawals in Thailand are for Nationwide members.

Not driven by profit !! ha ha ha :o:D

There are still some mutuals in the UK.

Nationwide is a well known one. A mutual is actually owned by its members, not shareholders. Because Nationwide is not driven totally by profit, members often get preferential rates. That is why the cheapest ATM withdrawals in Thailand are for Nationwide members.

Not driven by profit !! ha ha ha laugh.gif laugh.gif

Is something funny about that?.

Because Nationwide is not driven totally by profit, members often get preferential rates.

If you had a mortgage with Nationwide you used to get a preferential rate on your overdraft however they have now scrapped that and indeed the overdraft fee's are quite hefty now.

Their Bond rates are not too impressive either - 2.16 -2.52% at best for 6 month/1 year Bonds.

I have a little capital with NW after selling up in the UK, now monthly income reduced considerably - along with dismal exchange rates.

A little digressing, but a friend who runs a bar in Pattaya says a lot of his elderly Brit customers have reduced their drinking and now slurp in the supermarkets ???!!. - Sign of a recession.

According to the Thanchart website, The Thai Bankers Association has decided that cardholders of foreign banks will be charged 150 Baht for each withdrawal by debit or credit card, effective April 17th.

Not good news.

Ouch. that's another $10 each time for us!!! does it include each time we use our VISA????

Worried Kiwi!

Kasikorn bank (Red Green and White ATM's) are still not charging for transactions at the moment and from my quick tour of my local ATM's seem to be the only ones without the 150 Baht fee, well they will be getting regular visits from me whilst this remains the same as I'm damned if I'm paying 150 Baht to take out my money.

I'm presuming that they still make a little money on transactions without the 150 baht fee so the farmers bank has now become the farangs bank ;]

According to the Thanchart website, The Thai Bankers Association has decided that cardholders of foreign banks will be charged 150 Baht for each withdrawal by debit or credit card, effective April 17th.

Not good news.

OUCH!! That's my main source of moving $$ to baht monthly. SCB has been charging baht 20 for several months now but I just bypass them for the others.

Guess I'll just have to do a larger personal $$ check deposit to my baht account at SCB now every couple of months to cover the ATM fees if they do, indeed, come into play.

Mac

Isn't the SCBs 20 baht for using a different branches machine than the one you opened the bank with ?

Isn't the SCBs 20 baht for using a different branches machine than the one you opened the bank with ?

SCB charges you 20 THB to use their ATM card with their ATM machines outside of your home bank province

Since last July they have charged you 20 THB to use a Foreign ATM card

As of the 17th of April they are charging you 150 THB to use a Foreign ATM card