Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

think_too_mut, I currently do not pay any bank charges what so ever on withdrawals from my UK account in Thailand. I'm with the Nationwide Building Society and they offer free withdrawals abroard and have done for the past few years. (although a 1% charge is being introduced on 01/06/09).

On 7th April I withdrew 15,000 Bt at the exchange rate of 52.199, very favourable, I'm sure you'll agree. In english pounds the amount withdrawn was = to 287.36 so I'll leave you to do the math if you so wish to check if there are any extra charges thrown in here (I assure you, there are not.)

52.199 X 287.36 = 15,000.

I used Kasikorn bank's ATM so no charges there either. It was, and has been for a long time for me, a totally free withdrawal abroad on a foreign card.

I think JimGant would still claim that you are paying a 0.5% - 1% fee right now as he showed me I was. I can only see the IER for baht/US$ at the BOT website so I can't check the numbers.

Nevertheless I agree that it is either a completely fee free withdrawal or as close to a fee free withdrawal as anyone can get.

donx, possibly, but the exchange rate data chart I found here would suggest not.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's repeat my argument: we are paying fees. Better exchange rate that Westpac gives me is eaten up by those side fees. It is only that they are, however annoying, clearly visible.

Those claiming they pay no fees should show how. I bet they get worse interest rate and that just covers where their banks' cut is.

And my main argument was - why yelling at Thai banks for 150THB fee while our own banks are skinning us already.

It is Thai banks that provide service and equipment, why would they be banned from charging for that?

think_too_mut, I currently do not pay any bank charges what so ever on withdrawals from my UK account in Thailand. I'm with the Nationwide Building Society and they offer free withdrawals abroard and have done for the past few years. (although a 1% charge is being introduced on 01/06/09).

On 7th April I withdrew 15,000 Bt at the exchange rate of 52.199, very favourable, I'm sure you'll agree. In english pounds the amount withdrawn was = to 287.36 so I'll leave you to do the math if you so wish to check if there are any extra charges thrown in here (I assure you, there are not.)

I used Kasikorn bank's ATM so no charges there either. It was, and has been for a long time for me, a totally free withdrawal abroad on a foreign card.

I think JimGant would still claim that you are paying a 0.5% - 1% fee right now as he showed me I was. I can only see the IER for baht/US$ at the BOT website so I can't check the numbers.

Nevertheless I agree that it is either a completely fee free withdrawal or as close to a fee free withdrawal as anyone can get.

I've tracked this quite closely over the past year on ATM withdrawals from my Credit Union in the US. The Credit Union imposes no fees on Foreign Transaction, according to their published terms of service. Using the "Interbank" exchange rates as a reference found at http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory , what I found is that on ATM withdrawals in Singapore I get an exchange rate that is within 0.1% of the Interbank rate and no additional fees are imposed by my credit union. However in the case of ATM withdrawals in Thailand, the exchange rate that I get gas been almost exactly 1.0% less than the Interbank rate. In the case of the Thailand ATM withdrawals, there also are no additional fees going to my Credit Union, but that 1.0% off the Interbank rate must be going to somewhere. How the Interbank Rate compares to rates offered by Thia Banks on cash transactions is something that I haven't examined closely, but generally when I use my ATM card I seem to get a somewhat better rate than what I would get on similar sized transaction from a Bank-run money changer had I given then $100 bills, even though the ATM rate appears to be about 1% below the Interbank Rate.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Unfortunately, you need to be more careful with your math. I underlined your misstake above. The correct equation is: 34.99/35.52 = 0.985 so the fee is really only 1%, not 1.5% as you suggest above.

Not sure I follow...... Your "correct" equation is the same as mine and reflects that you only got 98.5% of the IER. To me, that reflects a 1.5% fee (100% minus 98.5%), not a 1% fee.

I have used Wells Fargo Bank since 1990. They charge no monthly fee because all my pensions are deposited directly, electronically. They charge me US$5 at a very favorable exchange rate, for ATM withdrawals

How favorable? Could be Wells Fargo may be waiving all percentage fees, including the Visa Plus 1% foreign transaction fee (they call it the "international service assessement"). See the note next to Wells Fargo in this article: Click Here

Also, note in this article the financial organizations that reimburse the "ATM owner's fee," at least to some extent. My bank (USAA) will reimburse up to $15/mo -- so I should be good for at least 3 reimbursable ATM hits. But, it will be interesting to see how the new 150bt fee shows up -- as a separate line item, converted to dollars? Or just as a further discount to the prevailing exchange rate - in which case, USAA won't be able to figure out how much to reimburse me.....

FWIW, at this link is a compilation of what fees & rates selected US-based financial institutions are charging for foreign Credit Card and ATM transaction:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credi...8used_at_ATM.29

Some of them are very good, some of the are not. Generally speaking, the true costs that you pay are a combination of three things, of a flat fee per transaction that the financial institution might charge you and of a percentage that the Interbank exchange rate is docked when your dollars are converted to foreign currency, and of a fee charged by the ATM machine owners. For some card issuers, the first two components are zero, but that's becoming more and more rare.

Edited by OriginalPoster

In the case of the Thailand ATM withdrawals, there also are no additional fees going to my Credit Union, but that 1.0% off the Interbank rate must be going to somewhere.

Either to Cirrus or Visa Plus, depending on the network your ATM card is tied to. This is the "advertised" foreign transaction fee charged to your issuing financial institution, and for most, is usually passed on to the cardholder. The way fees are heading, 1% is beginning to sound ok.

Why the difference for Singapore, I don't know. As far as I can tell, Cirrus/Visa don't adjust their foreign transaction percentage country to country...... I do know, however, it's difficult to determine exactly what exchange rate is actually used (and without that, fees are impossible to determine). It usually approximates the IER; but not exactly.

The following explains how Visa determines exchange rates; at least this is for credit/signature debit transactions. For ATM and pin debit transactions, where cash flow is near instantaneous, I'm not so sure they don't use near real-time exchange rates...........But I don't know for sure.

Technically, Visa doesn’t use the interbank rate. For the world’s 25 major trading currencies it uses the average of wholesale market spot rates fixed at 2 p.m. EDT each working day. “The average market spot rate used in the conversion system is always compared with spot rates quoted by the banks, based upon the real-time Reuters money and foreign exchange date transmission service,” he [Visa official] says. “This check is carried out by Visa International to ensure that the rates used in the system are fair to both cardholders and Visa’s members.”

And you can find that figure, for US dollars, HERE I haven't found anything similar for the Cirrus network.

And which IER table to use? For example, OANDA has 35.73 for March 31st, while Bank of Thailand has 35.52. Hmmm.

I have used Wells Fargo Bank since 1990. They charge no monthly fee because all my pensions are deposited directly, electronically. They charge me US$5 at a very favorable exchange rate, for ATM withdrawals

How favorable? Could be Wells Fargo may be waiving all percentage fees, including the Visa Plus 1% foreign transaction fee (they call it the "international service assessement"). See the note next to Wells Fargo in this article: Click Here

Also, note in this article the financial organizations that reimburse the "ATM owner's fee," at least to some extent. My bank (USAA) will reimburse up to $15/mo -- so I should be good for at least 3 reimbursable ATM hits. But, it will be interesting to see how the new 150bt fee shows up -- as a separate line item, converted to dollars? Or just as a further discount to the prevailing exchange rate - in which case, USAA won't be able to figure out how much to reimburse me.....

Thanks, Jim. I think my account is PMA or similar. So, do you think USAA would be cheaper for me? I would hate to switch all my pensions, though. I had a CD with USAA once, so I guess I could have a checking account, too.

In the case of the Thailand ATM withdrawals, there also are no additional fees going to my Credit Union, but that 1.0% off the Interbank rate must be going to somewhere.

Either to Cirrus or Visa Plus, depending on the network your ATM card is tied to. This is the "advertised" foreign transaction fee charged to your issuing financial institution, and for most, is usually passed on to the cardholder. The way fees are heading, 1% is beginning to sound ok.

That 1% doesn't actually seem to be advertised anywhere, or at least not to the consumer.

How does that 1% off the Interbank rate for ATM withdrawals compare to what you'd get from a Thai Bank on an electronic transfer of funds from the US? Would the Thai bank give you a rate greater than 99.0% of the Interbank Rate? The odd thing is that in Singapore the banks seems to give you only about 99.5% of the Interbank rate on electronic transfers from the States while you get essentially 100% on ATM transactions, making ATM transactions more economical despite whatever % Cirrus or Plus keep for themselves.

That 1% doesn't actually seem to be advertised anywhere, or at least not to the consumer.

Googling on "foreign transaction fees" gives several examples -- and the 1% fee stands out. Example:

Visa and MasterCard each charge 1 percent of purchases as a foreign transaction fee. Most banks add an additional 1 percent or 2 percent, leaving your total fee at 2 percent or 3 percent. For example, Bank of America charges a 2 percent foreign transaction fee, and Visa and MasterCard charge 1 percent. Therefore, if you use your Bank of America-issued Visa abroad, you would be charged a total fee of 3 percent of your purchases (comprised of a 2 percent Bank of America fee and a 1 percent Visa fee).

Yes, most emphasize the credit/debit aspect of riding the Visa/Cirrus networks -- but selling cash via ATM machines also rides the Visa/Cirrus networks -- and thereby subject to the 1% fee.

How does that 1% off the Interbank rate for ATM withdrawals compare to what you'd get from a Thai Bank on an electronic transfer of funds from the US? Would the Thai bank give you a rate greater than 99.0% of the Interbank Rate?

Depends on the fee structure -- and amounts obtained. SWIFT wire transfers -- and EFT/ACH transfers -- use the Telex (TT) rate, which is usually 10-15 satang less favorable than the Interbank Rate. Example: the 9 April BOT website shows TT rates for US$ at 35.285, while the Interbank Rate is 35.42. All methods of transfer normally have fees. And this is where you need to set up a spreadsheet to compare. Wire fees are the biggest cost -- $35 with my USAA account -- but the more sent, the less cost per unit. And on the Thai end, there is a 200-500 baht charge for wire (and EFT/ACH) transactions, where, until April 17, there were no fees on the Thai side for ATM transactions (for most Thai banks). Anyway, when you crank in all the fees, I found that SWIFTing over $7000 would get me over the break even point with going ATM; and somewhat less than that for EFT/ACHing would reach the cost break even point. The latter method, however, is the slowest (several days) -- while ATM is, of course, instantaneous (but restricted on amount). All things to consider.

Overall, I had a fun spreadsheet excercise, but with the only conclusion being: use SWIFT when a large purchase looms. But for day to day, I still use my US savings account for ATMs -- which allows me to get 25000bt per trip to the BB ATM machine. Whether I'd be better off using the BB ATM card -- and preloading via wire my BB account -- maybe. But not really worth the thought process -- unless it looks like the dollar will tank. Just too lazy to add in factors such as forgone interest (USAA pays much better than the anemic BB account). Penny *and* pound foolish, maybe.

The odd thing is that in Singapore the banks seems to give you only about 99.5% of the Interbank rate on electronic transfers from the States while you get essentially 100% on ATM transactions, making ATM transactions more economical despite whatever % Cirrus or Plus keep for themselves.

Again, TT vs. Interbank Rate. Why you're getting nearly the full IER for ATM transactions in Singapore (and not in Thailand) is really curious, assuming you've got a good lock on the exchange rates involved. Maybe Singapore bank laws restrict what ATM owners can collect in fees..........(?).

So, do you think USAA would be cheaper for me? I would hate to switch all my pensions, though. I had a CD with USAA once, so I guess I could have a checking account, too.

No. Right now, as I mention, I'm paying 1.8% of the IER as my cost to use my USAA ATM card in Thailand. If you're getting the IER rate, but paying $5 for a 25000bt transaction, you're only paying about .7% for your ATM transactions. With the new 150 fee, this will go up to about 1.3% (again, looking at 25000bt transactions per pop). Still better than 1.8%

And even if it were breakeven, the hassle of shifting over your pensions etc would be a deal breaker

Again, TT vs. Interbank Rate. Why you're getting nearly the full IER for ATM transactions in Singapore (and not in Thailand) is really curious, assuming you've got a good lock on the exchange rates involved. Maybe Singapore bank laws restrict what ATM owners can collect in fees..........(?).

I'm quite sure that I have a good lock on the Singapore rates because it's based upon 65 ATM withdrawals over a 12 month period and I'm in the habit of entering each transaction into an Excel sheet along interbank rate for that date (as shown by Oanda). For instance, yesterday (April 11) I withdrew S$600 and US$395.72 was debited from my checking account, making the rate received 1.5162. The Oanda Interbank rate yesterday was listed at 1.5178, meaning that the rate that I got was 99.90% of the interbank rate. On other days it might come up 100.1%, or 99.7%, or 100.3%, but on over a 12 month period it has averaged out to 99.86%.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I have used Nationwide for the last 3 years and have recommended the Flexaccount to anyone I know who travels overseas. I, like many others, have funded my partner (not to mean that 'many others' are also funding my partner, but their own partners :D ) via a "Number 2" Felexaccount in my name and with her having a separate PIN number.

This has worked perfectly - I can send a small amount weekly (she is not great at budgetting on a monthly basis :o ) via internet banking transfer in the UK. This can be supplemented if there is anything to buy for the house. I use my own Flexaccount card on my frequent visits to Thailand.

The account is so good that I barely begrudged them passing on the VISA fee (0.84% wef 1st June and 1% wef 1st July). I do however begrudge the Thai banks charging 150 baht per withdrawal - this is exhorbitant by any standard. I even avoid using SCB so I don't get the 20 Baht charge !!

The 150 Baht charge is out of line with all other 'internal' transaction and is clearly discriminating against Johny Foreigner. I worked in banking for over 30 years so I fully accept that the cost of maintaining an ATM network needs to be recovered - however, this can be achieved through exchange rate manipulation rather than a heftly useage fee. "Charge those who use the facility" I hear you cry - OK, levy a 10 Baht charge each time someone visits a petrol pump to put 50 Baht of 91 in their Yamaha or, change the UK car tax from a fixed figure to one based on the number of days one uses the public highways...... SORRY ! this is becoming a rant and I guess I have it too good for too long. Nevertheless, the 150 Baht is not a fair price for the service provided it is another example of Thai dual pricing.

By the way, of course I have Thai bank accounts and will look at the best way to manage my cash requirements through them - I just rue the loss (by excessive pricing) of an excellent, easy and cost-effective way of accessing my Sterling.

Edited by Chaimai

I have used Nationwide for the last 3 years and have recommended the Flexaccount to anyone I know who travels overseas. I, like many others, have funded my partner (not to mean that 'many others' are also funding my partner, but their own partners :D ) via a "Number 2" Felexaccount in my name and with her having a separate PIN number.

This has worked perfectly - I can send a small amount weekly (she is not great at budgetting on a monthly basis :o ) via internet banking transfer in the UK. This can be supplemented if there is anything to buy for the house. I use my own Flexaccount card on my frequent visits to Thailand.

The account is so good that I barely begrudged them passing on the VISA fee (0.84% wef 1st June and 1% wef 1st July). I do however begrudge the Thai banks charging 150 baht per withdrawal - this is exhorbitant by any standard. I even avoid using SCB so I don't get the 20 Baht charge !!

The 150 Baht charge is out of line with all other 'internal' transaction and is clearly discriminating against Johny Foreigner. I worked in banking for over 30 years so I fully accept that the cost of maintaining an ATM network needs to be recovered - however, this can be achieved through exchange rate manipulation rather than a heftly useage fee. "Charge those who use the facility" I hear you cry - OK, levy a 10 Baht charge each time someone visits a petrol pump to put 50 Baht of 91 in their Yamaha or, change the UK car tax from a fixed figure to one based on the number of days one uses the public highways...... SORRY ! this is becoming a rant and I guess I have it too good for too long. Nevertheless, the 150 Baht is not a fair price for the service provided it is another example of Thai dual pricing.

By the way, of course I have Thai bank accounts and will look at the best way to manage my cash requirements through them - I just rue the loss (by excessive pricing) of an excellent, easy and cost-effective way of accessing my Sterling.

Some fair points there Chaimai. I don't have a problem with paying a fee for the use of an ATM, afterall, it's a service provided by the bank, but 150Bt is a bit steep. I'd have thought 20Bt or 30Bt per transaction would be suffice.

My biggest issue with the introduction of the new fee is the inconvenience it'll cause me as it no longer makes it a viable option to withdraw say, 1,000 or 2,000 at a time. If the ATM fee was 20Bt or 30 Bt, then I'd probably just continue using the machines as frequently as I do now, no dramas, but at 150Bt a time I'll now withdraw the maximum on each visit to the ATM.

A percentage charge would also have worked in my opinion. Say 1%, so if you withdrew 1,000Bt it would be 10Bt charge and if you withdrew 10,000 then a 100Bt charge.

Again, this is where to new fee causes inconvenience. To withdraw say, 15,000Bt and be charged 150Bt can be justified as the charge is 1% of the amount withdrawn, acceptable in my eyes, but to withdraw 1,000Bt and pay 150Bt or a staggering 15% of the amount withdrawn for the use of the ATM is a no-go and therefore no longer makes the withdrawal of smaller amounts a viable option.

Edited by thecatman

i mentioned this earlier but now one seemed to reply,why not just take your n/wide flex card into the bank along with your passport and get the money that way? there is no charge. except of course the n/wide one .

Edited by thaimate

i mentioned this earlier but now one seemed to reply,why not just take your n/wide flex card into the bank along with your passport and get the money that way? there is no charge. except of course the n/wide one .

Yeah, that is the method I will use from now on (when convenient).

I did actually include a link discussing this method of withdrawal on the first page of the thread. (12th post down I believe).

This however is of no use to people like Chaimai, as the account and card is in his name, and it's his wife/girlfriend who makes the withdrawals in Thailand while he is in UK.

Edited by thecatman

Yeah, that is the method I will use from now on (when convenient).

I did actually include a link discussing this method of withdrawal on the first page of the thread. (12th post down I believe).

This however is of no use to people like Chaimai, as the account and card is in his name, and it's his wife/girlfriend who makes the withdrawals in Thailand while he is in UK.

I agree - but I can use this method (or the GBP Foreign Currency account idea suggested by Churchill) to get Sterling into my Thai bank. We can then open an account for my G/F and I use Kasikorn's internet banking to make weekly transfers from my Baht account to hers. It is just frustrating to have to learn/employ new tricks to side-step these charges.

Thanks for all the ideas :o

So if a Use the Islamic Bank of Thailans ATM i will not get the 150THB extra fee ?! . .

I went to the Islamic Bank on South Pattaya road yesterday and asked if I could use my Nationwide Visa Debit card in

thier ATM and was told that it only excepts Thai cards...there where no Visa/Maestro signs on the ATM

so I guess the Islamic bank are no good for avoiding these excesive fees :o

Edited by johng

So if a Use the Islamic Bank of Thailans ATM i will not get the 150THB extra fee ?! . .

I went to the Islamic Bank on South Pattaya road yesterday and asked if I could use my Nationwide Visa Debit card in

thier ATM and was told that it only excepts Thai cards...there where no Visa/Maestro signs on the ATM

so I guess the Islamic bank are no good for avoiding these excesive fees :o

johng, maybe you could try The GH Bank they have a branch in Pattaya at

8/51 Moo 6,

North Pattaya Road,

Gotta be worth a try.

johng, maybe you could try The GH Bank they have a branch in Pattaya at

8/51 Moo 6,

North Pattaya Road,

Gotta be worth a try.

Its a bit out of the way for me as I stay in South Pattaya..

maybe, if I remember next time I have to go to the big post office in Naklua I'll have a look for it....

but in the meantime I think I'll use the "take your card into the bank with passport"

option..untill something better turns up. :o

Edited by johng

Hi

It may already have been asked and answered but I can't find it so I'll ask anyway.

As a tourist due to visit for a month I have the option of using my New Zealand ATm, bringing cash or travellers cheques. Which form would give me the best amount of baht for my dollar. If cash or travellers cheques, where would be the best place to exchange. I have done it before in one of the street booths and the rate seemed ot be pretty good but do any locals know more about charges and detail enough to help me?

I'll be in Bkk to start then onto Chiang Mai. I read somewhere that you can get a good rate at the airport.

Advice welcome

Thanks

Has anyone discovered yet the most cost efficient way to make withdrawl in Thailand from the UK since the Thai Banks have announced they will start to charge when making withdrawls with a foreign card?

Whilst the Nationwide flex has started to charge for withdrawls abroad, the UK Post Office credit card does not charge so long as you credit the card first before making the withdrawl.

As a tourist due to visit for a month I have the option of using my New Zealand ATm, bringing cash or travellers cheques. Which form would give me the best amount of baht for my dollar. If cash or travellers cheques, where would be the best place to exchange. I have done it before in one of the street booths and the rate seemed ot be pretty good but do any locals know more about charges and detail enough to help me

Probably whatever's more convenient, considering this will be a one or two event deal, so paying a few more satang for convenience is probably worth it. And ATM machines seem to be the most convenient -- and most travel sites now recommend them over travellers checks (particularly if the latter charge for their purchase).

But if your bank has high fees, and especially if you don't plan to max out at the ATM machine (Bangkok Bank will issue 25000 per pop), walking into a bank and exchanging travellers checks at their 'buy' rate could be superior.

But for 'getting by' money upon entry to Thailand, limit what you get at the airport booths, or even hotel.

Has anyone discovered yet the most cost efficient way to make withdrawl in Thailand from the UK since the Thai Banks have announced they will start to charge when making withdrawls with a foreign card?

Whilst the Nationwide flex has started to charge for withdrawls abroad, the UK Post Office credit card does not charge so long as you credit the card first before making the withdrawl.

I guess the way to go will be to go into any thai bank and ask them to swipe your card for say, 10 or 20 K. They will simply do this, and hand you the cash. The exchange rate offered by Nationwide is second to none, so an account with them is still worth having. You will need to take your passport with you when you do this transaction.

Now we all know TIT so what if you go into the bank with your credit card & passport and they first tell you there is a ATM outside this has happened to me before as they are too lazy to help you, And you tell them yes I know but your bank charges me 150 baht to use it. The bank teller tells you that they also charge you 150 baht for him doing it this way as well, Do you argue with the teller that I am not using your ATM if you are doing it for me and its a ATM charge or do you just go to another bank and try again with your card & passport?

Regards

Scotsman

Now we all know TIT so what if you go into the bank with your credit card & passport and they first tell you there is a ATM outside this has happened to me before as they are too lazy to help you, And you tell them yes I know but your bank charges me 150 baht to use it. The bank teller tells you that they also charge you 150 baht for him doing it this way as well, Do you argue with the teller that I am not using your ATM if you are doing it for me and its a ATM charge or do you just go to another bank and try again with your card & passport?

Regards

Scotsman

This is a good point Scotsman, and one that we will only find out the answer to by trying it out. Personally, I will go to my Kasikorn branch and ask them to swipe my foreign card and ask them to add the balance to my Kasikorn account rather than hand me the cash. Of course, this is not an option for those without Thai accounts.

If however I did want the cash and I recieved treatment similar to what you reported, I don't think I'd bother trying to argue my point, but simply just leave and try another bank.

Regards

Scotsman

This is a good point Scotsman, and one that we will only find out the answer to by trying it out. Personally, I will go to my Kasikorn branch and ask them to swipe my foreign card and ask them to add the balance to my Kasikorn account rather than hand me the cash. Of course, this is not an option for those without Thai accounts.

If however I did want the cash and I recieved treatment similar to what you reported, I don't think I'd bother trying to argue my point, but simply just leave and try another bank.

I use a Nationwide cash card for my ATM withdrawls.I also have a couple of Thai bank accounts (Kasikorn and Ayudhya).

Anyone know if I can go into the branch and ask them to swipe this card and add the balance to my account as Scotsman suggests.

I use a Nationwide cash card for my ATM withdrawls.I also have a couple of Thai bank accounts (Kasikorn and Ayudhya).

Anyone know if I can go into the branch and ask them to swipe this card and add the balance to my account as Scotsman suggests.

I can't see any reason why not.

This charge should only affect short-stay tourists.

Anyone living here should be using the cheaper telegraphic transfer method.

If your living expenses are THB 50K per month using an ATM costs approx GBP44 (In exchange fees and charges).

Whereas telegraphic transfer costs only GBP9- GBP20 depending on your bank.

So do the mathematics and change your habit NOW!

If your living expenses are THB 50K per month using an ATM costs approx GBP44 (In exchange fees and charges).

That's bullshite. It all depends on who you bank with. Your figures may well be correct if you bank with thieves like Barclays, but not all banks/building societies are the same, Check out my previous post about my Nationwide withdrawal charges up until now.

Edited by thecatman