Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

A relative from Isaan told me today that he tried our NW Visa ATM card in local branches of both BAAC (Yang Talad) and Kasikorn (Big C Sarakham) and both ATMs came up with the message advising a 150 baht fee would be imposed. I don't know whether to believe this given what other posts say (perhaps he somehow passed on a garbled message). My relative's version is that a hike around all the local banks found that all the ATMs had the same fee. His story is that he went inside BAAC and inquired about the position and was told it was now general. Can anybody else confirm the position either way?

Kasikorn ATM this morning in Issarn Roi Et, NO FEE NW cash card (cirrus) rate 52.71

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A relative from Isaan told me today that he tried our NW Visa ATM card in local branches of both BAAC (Yang Talad) and Kasikorn (Big C Sarakham) and both ATMs came up with the message advising a 150 baht fee would be imposed. I don't know whether to believe this given what other posts say (perhaps he somehow passed on a garbled message). My relative's version is that a hike around all the local banks found that all the ATMs had the same fee. His story is that he went inside BAAC and inquired about the position and was told it was now general. Can anybody else confirm the position either way?

Kasikorn ATM this morning in Issarn Roi Et, NO FEE NW cash card (cirrus) rate 52.71

Looks like I got a cock and bull story - it wouldn't surprise me if said relative went to BAAC and was too lazy to go on to Kasikorn.

Edited by citizen33

Looks like I got a cock and bull story - it wouldn't surprise me if said relative went to BAAC and was too lazy to go on to Kasikorn.

I understand you have NW visa but my NW cirrus won't even work in BAAC machines your the only other person i know of that's tried this bank & i don't believe they charge this fee as their not part of the cartel & their predominately a local bank & have little to do with expats/tourists the branch in Roi Et did not even understand or know anything about this 150 baht fee.

I understand you have NW visa but my NW cirrus won't even work in BAAC machines your the only other person i know of that's tried this bank & i don't believe they charge this fee as their not part of the cartel & their predominately a local bank & have little to do with expats/tourists the branch in Roi Et did not even understand or know anything about this 150 baht fee.

Yes, I had the same theory about BAAC (taw-gaw-saw). Unfortunately I didn't go in person, but just got a telephone report from the relative as mentioned above saying BAAC do charge, which I am beginning to think cannot be relied upon. I'm afraid this reinforces my prejudices about taking almost everything that the average Thai says with a pinch of salt. Let's hope that a reliable person on the spot can check out the position with BAAC and visa cards soon. I think we know already that cirrus won't work there.

Edited by citizen33

GSB (Government Savings Bank) Branch ATM in Nonsang, Nongbulampoo at 15:26 on 13/May

NO FEE

Exchange Rate of 34.55802

Which is more like it should be versus my ATM pull at a Kasikorn ATM yesterday (receipt said no fee).

GSB (Government Savings Bank) Branch ATM in Nonsang, Nongbulampoo at 15:26 on 13/May

NO FEE

Exchange Rate of 34.55802

Which is more like it should be versus my ATM pull at a Kasikorn ATM yesterday (receipt said no fee).

Did a transaction same day about 1400 hours Kasikorn 34.555425

Not a lot of difference

Dear Member,

Thank you for your message. I confirm that the newly announced charges for overseas withdrawals will only apply for cards issued by Visa - Nationwide Debit Cards, Credit Cards.

For CIRRUS Cash Cards these are operated by MasterCard and will not be introduced the newly announced charge.

So back to the question ...how do we go about getting the CIRRUS Cash Card instead of the Visa debit/credit card

from Nationwide ?

When I opened my account with them I asked for a cash card but they refused saying my credit rating was " too good " ha ha :)

johng - I know that this topic has attracted a lot of posts but your question has already been answered if you would like to refer back. You can apply for a 'downgrade' from VISA to CIRRUS (Mastercard) - allyou seem to lose is the potential for an overdraft facility. If this concerns you, open a second account and just downgrade on that one.

I already have a Visa Debit Card/Account and called in to my local Nationwide last week picked up the application form for the Cash Card account(Cirrus/Maroon coloured Card) and sent it off.I have yet to receive a reply but will post the results here asap.

Well it's been 2 weeks since i sent my application for a Cash Card(cirrus) and i still haven't heard anything from The Nationwide,so i called New Accounts today and was told by the Nationwide employee that my application had been turned down and that my Branch had been informed!! I said that i hadn't had no letter notifying me but i was fobbed off by the operator telling me i'd have to take it up with the branch.Crazy i said what if i never use the branch how the hel_l would i get to know the status of my application??As you can guess their was no explanation for this.The reason for the 'Knock back'was because i already had a Nationwide Debit Card(Visa).She said that i would be allowed to have another Debit Card account though!! Sounds crazy that you can't have both a Cirrus cash card/Account and a Debit(Visa) Card Account i told her but you can have more than one Visa Debit Card/Account!!.Again no logical explanation could be given to me.As per usual with these people i was fobbed off and told i'd have to contact my local branch or customers information by phone to continue with the matter.One thing i'm pissed off about is the fact that when i originally opened my Nationwide current account for years i was issued with a Cirrus card and over the years when the cards have expired they just automatically switched me to a Visa Debit Card which was fine before the forthcoming charge(0.85% to 1%) comes into effect.My next question was if i cancel my Debit card can i then have a Cirrus Card?Again no logical answer to this and i was fobbed off again with the 'ask at your branch answer'.So with only just over 2 weeks until i am in Los again i now through the incompetence of The Nationwide (not contacting me about my application) find myself with probably not enough time to cancel my Debit card account and try to switch to a Cirrus Cash card.

Barhopper (Pissed Off!!)

Edited by barhopper

Well it's been 2 weeks since i sent my application for a Cash Card(cirrus) and i still haven't heard anything from The Nationwide,so i called New Accounts today and was told by the Nationwide employee that my application had been turned down and that my Branch had been informed!! I said that i hadn't had no letter notifying me but i was fobbed off by the operator telling me i'd have to take it up with the branch.Crazy i said what if i never use the branch how the hel_l would i get to know the status of my application??As you can guess their was no explanation for this.The reason for the 'Knock back'was because i already had a Nationwide Debit Card(Visa).She said that i would be allowed to have another Debit Card account though!! Sounds crazy that you can't have both a Cirrus cash card/Account and a Debit(Visa) Card Account i told her but you can have more than one Visa Debit Card/Account!!.Again no logical explanation could be given to me.As per usual with these people i was fobbed off and told i'd have to contact my local branch or customers information by phone to continue with the matter.One thing i'm pissed off about is the fact that when i originally opened my Nationwide current account for years i was issued with a Cirrus card and over the years when the cards have expired they just automatically switched me to a Visa Debit Card which was fine before the forthcoming charge(0.85% to 1%) comes into effect.My next question was if i cancel my Debit card can i then have a Cirrus Card?Again no logical answer to this and i was fobbed off again with the 'ask at your branch answer'.So with only just over 2 weeks until i am in Los again i now through the incompetence of The Nationwide (not contacting me about my application) find myself with probably not enough time to cancel my Debit card account and try to switch to a Cirrus Cash card.

Barhopper (Pissed Off!!)

This sums up the standard of service/knowledge in the UK banking industry (Thailand and many others are no better).

Try opening a No2 Flexaccount online. See if it offers you a VISA card. Go through with the account opening process. Then call at the branch and ask them to downgrade the No2 account to a CIRRUS card because you want to use the No2 account for your overseas travels etc, etc

Don't know if it will work - I have not had chance to implement that advice which was put in writing to me by Nationwide. Time may also be against you but the online account opening is instant.

Barhopper (Pissed Off!!)

This sums up the standard of service/knowledge in the UK banking industry (Thailand and many others are no better).

Try opening a No2 Flexaccount online. See if it offers you a VISA card. Go through with the account opening process. Then call at the branch and ask them to downgrade the No2 account to a CIRRUS card because you want to use the No2 account for your overseas travels etc, etc

Don't know if it will work - I have not had chance to implement that advice which was put in writing to me by Nationwide. Time may also be against you but the online account opening is instant.

Thanks for the input chaimai,i have since my previous post spoke to my local branch (and i am none the wiser believe it or not!!) they told me i can close my Nationwide debit/Visa account and apply to open a Nationwide Cirrus/Cash Card account but i would not be guaranteed that i would be granted one!! There was no mention of being able to just downgrade(as has been mentioned in previous posts).So i told them well as i have quite a bit of Money tied up with Nationwide(Isas/Bonds/E account etc) are Nationwide that stupid to turn down a customer of more than 25 years with quite a sum of money in different accounts?Again i couldn't get a straight answer.I said well i now virtually don't have enough time to cancel my Debit Visa card in the hope that i can apply for a cirrus Cash card as i will be departing in just over 2 weeks and may be left with no card/access to money at all if i do apply for one.Altogether the whole thing stinks and i did tell them that when i do arrive back in the UK i will be reviewing my options with the probability of switching /closing all my Nationwide accounts to one of their competitors.

[i did a SCB withdrawal on April 18th and the receipt shows the 150 baht fee separately. Fidelity did not refund the fee so it's apparently not coded as an ATM fee, but lumped into the amount.

That's strange.. You might think, if the fee is listed out separately on your paper atm receipt, then it would also show up separately when the charge is posted to your home bank, and you check/see the transaction listed in your online banking.... How did it post in your online banking account???

But I know it doesn't always work that way... back in the early days when scb was doing their 20 baht fee...my receipt showed the fee separately the first time, but it wasn't shown separately when it surfaced in my online banking account...

However, my home bank advised that in those situations, if there was really an atm fee and I had the receipt to show it, I could send them the atm receipt or receipts and they would reimburse based on those... (I never again used an SCB atm after that, so it didn't matter for me. but if I had needed to do that, mailing atm receipts back to the U.s. might be as expensive as the atm fee itself, unless you save them up and mail in batches.

One thing about withdrawals in the US. You're basically dealing with $20 increments, so perhaps the fee is never coded as anything special. Perhaps anything not a $10 multiple is assumed to be a bank fee. So when I have a $200 withdrawal

and the bank charges $2 for a $202 total, Fidelity assumes the $2 is a fee and refunds it.

None of my US ATM withdrawals ever shows anything other than the total amount. The fee is not a separate amount.

Here's how a US withdrawal shows:

CASH ADVANCE ATMC080 Amount: -$303.00

Here's the SCB:

CASH ADVANCE ATMCIP5 SCB/SUVARNABHU BANGKOK Amount: -$485.15

tried to use k bank today and the 150thb charge came up on screen

Annoying.

Are there any banks in Thailand left that arent doing this pure profiteering.

have they adopted this in Laos, yangon, ho chi minh, singapore, KL

Why is Thailand so "special"

Another confirmation of KBank jumping on the B150 bandwagon: I just made a withdrawal from a Kasikornbank ATM in Chiang Mai using my Nationwide card and up popped the B150 notice . . . a sad day . . . will be even more sad on 1 June when Nationwide start adding a charge at their end as well!

JxP :)

Another confirmation of KBank jumping on the B150 bandwagon: I just made a withdrawal from a Kasikornbank ATM in Chiang Mai using my Nationwide card and up popped the B150 notice . . . a sad day . . . will be even more sad on 1 June when Nationwide start adding a charge at their end as well!

JxP :)

I was just down to Lotus @ Klong 7 and needed some cash. The two "good" banks, Kasikorn and Bank of Ayuttya ain't so good anymore.

-- K-bank had the baht 150 fee up front, so I canceled.

-- BAY was offering an exchange rate of 33.3!!! 34.18 is the SCB rate for yesterday. That's about a $15 U.S. charge for withdrawing baht 20,000.

So, I used my local SCB card.

Options now?

Mac

Someone should try Government Savings Bank ATMs as of Sat or after... and see if they are still fee-free...and not doing any kind of bad exchange rate schemes...

I also netted a 34.18 rate from my Friday night Kasikorn withdrawal... So Ayudhya is definitely LOW.....

Edited by jfchandler

Government Savings Bank (GSB) Nonsang, Nongbulampoo ATM as of 16/May at 13:03

NO FEE

Exchange Rate using Capital One M/M ATM was 34.451

For those in the Asoke/Sukhumvit area, if you are not aware, there is a GSB ATM going up from MTR to BTS Asoke

on the left to the right of that small exchange place

So it appears 2 banks, the Bank of Ayudhaya and Government Savings Bank, are the last 2 holding out against the imposition of the 150 Baht ATM fee. Although American users of Bank of Ayudhaya ATM's may lose due to Dynamic Currency Conversion. Any cardholders using non-American cards used the Bank of Ayudhaya today?

Please correct me if my summary is inaccurate.

Briggsy... a couple points...

1. The signs on the Bank of Ayudhya ATMs say they will do dynamic currency conversion for U.S. $ and EUR-based MasterCards... not only for U.S. $.

2. Regarding the 150 baht ATM fee, which was originated by the Thai Bankers Assn., I believe the Bank of Ayudhya is a member of that group, but apparently the Government Savings Bank is not... That may be because GSB is essentially an arm of the Thai government.

Briggsy... a couple points...

1. The signs on the Bank of Ayudhya ATMs say they will do dynamic currency conversion for U.S. $ and EUR-based MasterCards... not only for U.S. $.

2. Regarding the 150 baht ATM fee, which was originated by the Thai Bankers Assn., I believe the Bank of Ayudhya is a member of that group, but apparently the Government Savings Bank is not... That may be because GSB is essentially an arm of the Thai government.

Here's the locations of Government savings Banks in 'Funtown'.

GOVERNMENT SAVINGS BANK

Banglamung Branch 460 Naklua Road, Moo4

North Pattaya Tel +66(038) 222 012

Tel +66(038) 222 002

Fax +66(038) 222 012

Pattaya Branch

205/23-24 Second Road, Moo10 Tel +66(038) 423 690

Tel +66(038) 423 643

Tel +66(038) 426 939

Fax +66(038) 423 69

Not Cock & Bull I Used Kasikorn today in Udon with a NW cardand it seems they have jumped onto the train came up

150 Baht Charge!! :)

A note for the Brits who have Ayudaya ATM's near by,they do not use this DCC (low exchange rate) system for the pound,only the Euro & Dollar Mastercards are included at the moment so until its announced that they do charge 150 baht for these cards Ayudaya should still be free, any news on Ayudaya GBP or Euro/Dollar visa cards use at their ATM's would be appresiated.

GSB in Roi Et does not like my NW cirrus card it asked the misses to speak to issuing bank K bank worked fine over the road but now no use to me as they now charge this fee.

Regarding Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) again my misses had the same message on the ATM so maybe they both don't accept Cirrus mastercard which i find hard to beleive i have their head office address & numbers if anyone lives close by or speak Thai it would be real handy to get a list of branches & ATM locations as i can't find them on their site.

469 Nakhon Sawan Road, Dusit, Bangkok 10300

Tel. (662) 280 0180 Fax. (662) 280 0442

http://www.baac.or.th/baac_en/index.php?co...=7&inside=1

As anyone withdrawn using any overseas card from BAAC i've not seen anything on TV.

GSB in Roi Et does not like my NW cirrus card it asked the misses to speak to issuing bank K bank worked fine over the road but now no use to me as they now charge this fee.

Regarding Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) again my misses had the same message on the ATM so maybe they both don't accept Cirrus mastercard which i find hard to beleive i have their head office address & numbers if anyone lives close by or speak Thai it would be real handy to get a list of branches & ATM locations as i can't find them on their site.

The GSB here will not take my Mastercard either. Only Visa.

Everybody on here should write to the Thai bankers association to tell them of your disgust at the greedy charge. Also mention how much money you have in their banks, tell them that there're other banking options in thailand for savings accounts. We're talking about billions of baht we control. Let's stick together for a change! They need to know that we're not just ATM customers, they want our money in the banks or not??? :)

Everybody on here should write to the Thai bankers association to tell them of your disgust at the greedy charge. Also mention how much money you have in their banks, tell them that there're other banking options in thailand for savings accounts. We're talking about billions of baht we control. Let's stick together for a change! They need to know that we're not just ATM customers, they want our money in the banks or not??? :)

Don't think anything will help , they have made their mind up . My guess is to just stop whining

and just pay the fine , fair or not is a different story , but its one of those things when you live

abroad . Don't think 150 baht makes anyone has less sleep , if it does well .....