A New Nationwide Debit Card (flex)

I recall reading a while back that Nationwide wouldn't post a card to Thailand..well I have just received a 'new one' today. I didn't ask for it, the attached letter says that it has the latest security features. Doubt that I will use it a lot after they start charging though.

Does any one know if the card reader that is now supplied by nationwide to work in conjunction with i presume the online banking section will work in Thailand.

It resembles a small calculator with a slot to insert your bank card

Does any one know if the card reader that is now supplied by nationwide to work in conjunction with i presume the online banking section will work in Thailand.

It resembles a small calculator with a slot to insert your bank card

yes it works in Thailand. I have used it a few times.

I think they will charge for withdrawals outside the EU.

Post Office say theres no charge for withdrawals abroad with their credit card btw

i think you mean debit card? maybe not. i looked some time ago at some comparison site and the PO looked excellent, although the debit card from NW gave the same thing. I only use the flexi card (debit)to make cash withdrawls from ATM machines. i find siam commercial bank charges me 20 baht whilst others don't charge.... well the ones i have tried. I am still not sure if NW will charge for using the flexi account at ATM machines. the flexi card is almost too good to be true.... but looks like the Post office will be opening a few more accounts now.. see how long that lasts for..

I doubt very much that the Nationwide will absorb the 150 Baht charge that the Thai banks will implement soon. So will likely cost approx £3 plus 1% per withdrawal from Thai ATM.

Edited by loong

I doubt very much that the Nationwide will absorb the 150 Baht charge that the Thai banks will implement soon. So will likely cost approx £3 plus 1% per withdrawal from Thai ATM.

Spot on ! There is no reason for Nationwide (or others) to absorb the charge. It is a local charge - Thai Bankers Association - being implemented on foreign card useage.

A classic 'dual pricing' mechanism - surprised (and disappointed) that they have taken so long to latch on to this easy target. I will certainly have to change my pattern of ATM useage - no more 1,000 baht withdrawals to 'see me through the night', I will just have to take the risk of carrying more cash. Not happy about that.

withdrawing 1,000 baht to "see me through the night"! ....where do you live? Buri Ram?

Spike - how do you know that :D

You will understand that I usually have change for breakfast, a tank of petrol for the bike and the Bangkok post for the following day :o

withdrawing 1,000 baht to "see me through the night"! ....where do you live? Buri Ram?

Spike - how do you know that :D

You will understand that I usually have change for breakfast, a tank of petrol for the bike and the Bangkok post for the following day :D

.....waht you can do with a 1,000 baht in good 'ol Buriram ....all this and you are not even alone on waking up.... :o

Spot on ! There is no reason for Nationwide (or others) to absorb the charge. It is a local charge - Thai Bankers Association - being implemented on foreign card useage.

A classic 'dual pricing' mechanism - surprised (and disappointed) that they have taken so long to latch on to this easy target. I will certainly have to change my pattern of ATM useage - no more 1,000 baht withdrawals to 'see me through the night', I will just have to take the risk of carrying more cash. Not happy about that.

this only applies to credit and flex debit cards. Cash only cards remain free as yet. Lucky I have one. Safer, if you lose it, its no use to anyone without the pin number.