Problem Transferring Car Ownership

I bought a car from another farang and we both were not sure what was needed paperwork wise he was leaving back to australia and I got a good price however now I have a problem in that all we did was write a bill of sale on abit of paper and I got a copy of his passport. he has since left thailand and I find I need power of attorney papers copy of his visa and he also did not sign the bluebook/

I have all papers for the car plus a copy of his passport and all service papers etc

any suggestions how I can get round this (I dont have contact info for him in Australia)

I would think a trip to the local S/H tents and an "arrangement" fee for them to pose as the owner and sell it to you, however the good price won't be intact any more :o .

It's difficult now. You should do the paperworh before. almost impossible, except:

If you can contact him overseas, you can mail him the blue book and the power of autorities to sign. Get copy of his passoort with the EXIT Stanp of Thailand When you have all the docs, go see the immigration and ask them to give you a confirm letter, that the guy doesn't living in Thailand anymore, instead of a certificate of living. Usually the immigration do this, it's depend on the location where he stayed in Thailand. If they can't or wan't help you, than the former owner of the car have to get a letter by the Thaiambassy overseas, wich confirms that he stays in australia for example.

If you can't contact him overseas, than it's hopeless. You still can use and tax the car every year, but you can't change ownership and proparly never sell again, unless you sell it very cheap to someone who doesn't care about the ownership.

• 2 weeks later...