Songkran Festival 13 To 15 April

cmdream

last night ( 10 30 ish ) there were two ladyboys from jucy bar in loy kroh road bar armed with supersoakers spraying anyone within range

luckily for them ... i was out of range !

dave2

Why? Did you want to get them wet? :o

What will the Tourist Police volunteers do if they see me with my beer in hand?

Ask you politely to move out of the Alcohol/smoke free zone into an area NOT designated as such a place and allow those that do not wish to drink or be around people that drink and smoke so that they can also enjoy the Songkran celebrations.

You have a right to drink just as people have the right to try and avoid the drunken crazyness and these areas are allocated so famillys and others have a place to bring there kids and enjoy a less boysterous songkran.

Again i am sure it will be at the discretion of the TPD to determine if its just a Dad having a beer with his familly or a bunch of yobos staggering around drunk and causing problems the areas are not that big so theres plenty of places you could be drinking without any issues.

So.. they'll use common sense, is that what you're saying?! :o

:D Fortunately I'm among the most polite Songkran participants you'll ever find, when drinking or not. :D And I can't drink too much anyway or else I won't last for the full 4 days.. Enjoy the festivities!!

One thing though, why set up those 'polite-booths' exactly on the moat? Even the inner moat would already be much more mellow. Or even better, along Ratchadamnoen road (walking street road) or similar. Then that road could also be closed for trucks, not the moat. From the Sunday walking street we already know that can be done with relatively minor disruption. But then what do I know, I dind't go to Oxford and Eton.. :D

What will the Tourist Police volunteers do if they see me with my beer in hand?

Ask you politely to move out of the Alcohol/smoke free zone into an area NOT designated as such a place and allow those that do not wish to drink or be around people that drink and smoke so that they can also enjoy the Songkran celebrations.

You have a right to drink just as people have the right to try and avoid the drunken crazyness and these areas are allocated so famillys and others have a place to bring there kids and enjoy a less boysterous songkran.

Again i am sure it will be at the discretion of the TPD to determine if its just a Dad having a beer with his familly or a bunch of yobos staggering around drunk and causing problems the areas are not that big so theres plenty of places you could be drinking without any issues.

So.. they'll use common sense, is that what you're saying?! :o

:D Fortunately I'm among the most polite Songkran participants you'll ever find, when drinking or not. :D And I can't drink too much anyway or else I won't last for the full 4 days.. Enjoy the festivities!!

One thing though, why set up those 'polite-booths' exactly on the moat? Even the inner moat would already be much more mellow. Or even better, along Ratchadamnoen road (walking street road) or similar. Then that road could also be closed for trucks, not the moat. From the Sunday walking street we already know that can be done with relatively minor disruption. As a father myself I'd even consider bringing my kids into town if there was such an area. On the moat though, fat chance of things being suitable for smaller kids.

But then what do I know, I dind't go to Oxford and Eton.. :D

The Songkran party is already in full swing in the provinces. I just got back from Tha Thon (near Fang) yesterday and they were celebrating big time on the river there. Lots of seating areas arranged on the river similar to Hao Tung Tao and revellers floating down the river on huge tyre innertubes and rafts, great fun.

They should either just leave Songkran alone or simply ban the whole holiday. Slowly, but surely, they are taking all of the fun out of it anyway. bah.gif

"Leave Songkran alone." Interesting thing to say. Fun? Sure....up to a point. What's your point?

My point is that the changes that Chiang Mai has made in the Songkran holiday have done nothing to make it any safer and have made it a lot less fun and cost a lot of people money. Certain parts of the moat have been blocked off for the last several years that used to be where much of the action took place, and now those places are mostly empty for 4 or 5 days, costing bars and restaurants along that stretch a lot of business and sticking out like a sore thumb.

This year, it is said that authorities want to ban drinking in all bars and restaurants, but just as many people will be drunk - you can still get drunk at home - but bars and restaurants will lose huge amounts of income that they desperately need in times like these, and to make matters worse, they want to close off traffic around the rest of the moat. Forget about everything else, what will that do to traffic in Chiang Mai?

You are constantly whinging on the Internet about fixing about this and that, but that seems to be as far as it goes. Maybe no one has told you, but whining doesn't really make things better.

Your idea of "improvements" seem to be something like the Thai regulation that alcohol cannot be sold between 2 and 5 PM from supermarkets and convenience stores unless it is in excess of 10 litres - then it is no problem. In other words, if you cannot think of a sensible solution to a problem, just make up some imbecilic rule instead. It will make you feel like you did something, even though you didn't accomplish anything at all!

Edited by Ulysses G.

Come on, everyone, lets get back to normality here! Thais walking rather than riding in cars if theyve got them? Dont be silly. Aint gonna happen! Bloody hel_l, I get into trouble from my Thai partner if I cant park right outside, within 5 yards of a restaurant, noodle bar etc. Do you seriously think theyre going to WALK around the moat area??

No way, no chance, never in a million years!!!!!!!!!!!

I read in Chiang Mai Mail (http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml#hd1) that the mayor was forced to resign last week. I wonder if the plans to close the moat to traffic around the city will change now.

No change, traffic cop said they will shut down traffic between 1:00 and 5PM to allow for traditional procession. Only red taxi and tuk-tuks are allowed.

Now's your chance to get even with the red devils. This leaves plenty of time for the soaking and revelry. Not a bad plan, hope it works. Yes it has started I got hit this morning, time to park the bike and get some exercise. Have fun and be safe.

Right, they do that every year, they close it at the intersection where Chang Moi starts all the way to Thapae gate, and then Thapae road also. That's nothing unusual. They do that for Loi Krathong as well.

But the initial post makes it sound like the ENTIRE moat will be closed off, even near Suan Dok gate, Chang Phuak, etc. You can't do that or traffic will be completley stuck. LIke, where are you gonna go if you live on Suthep road or Huay Kaew..

Right, they do that every year, they close it at the intersection where Chang Moi starts all the way to Thapae gate, and then Thapae road also. That's nothing unusual.

Actually, they normally only close that area during the parades. There are big water fights between the pedestrians and vehicles right at the gate at other times and a bunch of food and gift stalls further away from the curb in the "rest" area.

Right, they do that every year, they close it at the intersection where Chang Moi starts all the way to Thapae gate, and then Thapae road also. That's nothing unusual. They do that for Loi Krathong as well.

But the initial post makes it sound like the ENTIRE moat will be closed off, even near Suan Dok gate, Chang Phuak, etc. You can't do that or traffic will be completley stuck. LIke, where are you gonna go if you live on Suthep road or Huay Kaew..

Bingo, mystery explained.

(That's the impression I got as well from the original post.)

The closing of Tapae Rd., Nawarat Bridge, Chang Moi Rd., etc. for the parade is traditional.

One day only, small time frame, limited area. :o

BTW, the official CM Songkran festival dates (see it in the BKK Post, TAT ad, last week or so) are 12-15.

I think its great that they will take the cars out of the equation around the moat. No public drinking? I think it will be doubtful they can enforce that.

I always have a good time, the problem for me has always been getting to and from town. Will have to be creative this year, sitting in a car for hours trying to get a parking spot leaves a lot to be desired.

I am confused you told you where going to the U.S.A on the 27/3/09 are you still on stand by????????????????

I need to drive into the Old City in the morning (some time between 9 and 10, roughly).

Is the word still that the area will be sealed off from noon, so it is safe for me to try to venture in there earlier?

EDIT: Found this info in another thread:

Also, Yesterday I acquired a copy a notice that was given out by the Chiangmai Traffic Police (in Thai only) notifiying us of their plans to control the 'traffic mess' that happens over Songkran break around the moat. For Mon-Wed (13-15) they will prohibit traffic from entering into town near the moat. The times for this closure are 12:00 (noon) to 18:00 p.m. They have made arrangements for transportation to be provided from the larger shopping malls-stores. (Big C, Lotus (x2), Makro, Carrefour, Railway Station, Airport Plaza, Amway Parking Lot (?), ChiangMai Cultural Center, Municipal Stadium.

They say that these 'shuttle' services may charge up to but no more than 10 baht per person.

Seems like it is noon then. Thanks to Ajarn for the info. :o