Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

While it may not be the final word in top class dining, I have to say that I had the best kebab last night (or this morning :o ) at Woody's – it really did the trick and with a little cheese added it was excellent. Of course, I will have to try one when I am sober to see if it really was as good as I thought – anyone got any thoughts on good kebabs in Chiang Mai?

Woody's has good burgers, too, great alternative to Mike's Burgers down the road for late night munchies.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, thanks ihop! I can't wait to check out the restaurant. Hopefully, they make one of the all time favorite Shanghainese dish, Shao Lung Bao (steam pork dumpling with broth inside them). I love and miss good Chinese food!

And the Mekong Restaurant in Changklan Plaza has pretty authentic Chinese food as well. Enjoy!

I believe they do...on the menu, it's "xiaolong of xianghai" and it's awesome. Our daughter orders it everytime. 30 baht for 5 dumplings. For the newbie...wait for it to cool abit and then pop the whole dumpling in your mouth so you don't have broth dripping everywhere. :o

Shanghai Restaurant has a more complete menu now that includes meal sets ranging from 185 baht to 1680 baht. And gone are the italian-sounding names I mentioned, replaced with translations "Fried Aubergine with stuffed pork" (eggplant) and "Green pepper with RKstuff"?

Also, the dimsum place across the parking lot offers Guangdong-style dimsum (Cantonese) while Shanghai Rest. offers Shangainese-style.

And thanks for the Mekong rec...will give it a try.

Bee-lined to the new Shanghai Restaurant...and yes, xiao lung bao was on the menu indeed, great fix for this dumpling/gyo fan. Also tried a few of their other dishes, fresh and delicious as ihop has suggested. This restaurant serves very provincial Shanghainese dishes, what a nice addition to the Chinese food options in Chiang Mai!

After the satisfying meal in the S. Rest., I stopped by the little dim sum place across the way, and there were some egg custard tarts coming out of the oven. The owner/employee saw me drooling over them and offered me a free one - what a nice gesture! Well, it was so good, I ended up taking 1/2 dozen home with me. They were only 10B each and taste so much better than the 35B ones at the Kanom chain in the Tall Teak Plaza. Will sure to go back to try the other dim sum dishes too!

I had mentioned about Mekong Restaurant before, but their actual name is Mei Jiang - sorry about the confusion. There is a write up on them in the latest issue of Chiang Mai Mail:

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/dining.shtml

The chef/owner is originally from Hong Kong and has worked as a chef in a 5-star hotel in China. The Cantonese food is very authentic and he also whips up pretty good Szechuan dishes as well. Enjoy!

After the satisfying meal in the S. Rest., I stopped by the little dim sum place across the way, and there were some egg custard tarts coming out of the oven. The owner/employee saw me drooling over them and offered me a free one - what a nice gesture! Well, it was so good, I ended up taking 1/2 dozen home with me. They were only 10B each and taste so much better than the 35B ones at the Kanom chain in the Tall Teak Plaza. Will sure to go back to try the other dim sum dishes too!

chinagal, This Shanghai restaurant is at PTT near the International Airport? And how far is the dim sum place from it? I agree that the egg custard tarts sold at Kanom are a rip off!. no wonder they not selling many of them anymore. In Malaysia, they call them POrtugese Egg Tarts and been looking for good ones here in chiang mai.

TB

edit: oppss just read the thread and found out that shanghai restaurant is at the new chinatown place. thanks!

Edited by tigerbeer

I agree that the egg custard tarts sold at Kanom are a rip off!. no wonder they not selling many of them anymore. In Malaysia, they call them POrtugese Egg Tarts and been looking for good ones here in chiang mai.

TB

I am glad to hear that you feel the same about this Kanom place...I suspect the fancy packaging contributes to the price of their tarts :o

I don't like much Oishi I'd rather eat at Hachiban.

Me too, I have packaged ramen noodles from the store that taste better than Oishi's. The outdoor Japanese restaurant across from Rincome market makes pretty descent ramen noodles, comes with a good portion of pork and a rich broth, and at a fraction of the price.

I don't like much Oishi I'd rather eat at Hachiban.

Me too, I have packaged ramen noodles from the store that taste better than Oishi's. The outdoor Japanese restaurant across from Rincome market makes pretty descent ramen noodles, comes with a good portion of pork and a rich broth, and at a fraction of the price.

For ramen, give Genki Ramen on Nimmanahaemin between Soi 11 and 13 a try. Good stuff.

http://www.genkiramentei.com/

Zen and Fuji are very good japanese restaurants but if you're looking for something not in a big mall or too pricey (and not necessarily sushi), try the small japanese restaurant next to Suriwong Bookstore (don't know the name) or Gohanya Japanese on Soi 7 MoonMuang. Good katsudon, gyoza, tempura udon, etc...

There's also iStyle located out at Lanna Golf Course on the road towards MaeRim/City Hall. We used to go here quite often when we lived out that way. Very good dishes. You can park inside the golf center or along side the road.

I can't comment on the sushi since I don't go to these places for sushi. Enjoy!

Yeah, thanks ihop! I can't wait to check out the restaurant. Hopefully, they make one of the all time favorite Shanghainese dish, Shao Lung Bao (steam pork dumpling with broth inside them). I love and miss good Chinese food!

And the Mekong Restaurant in Changklan Plaza has pretty authentic Chinese food as well. Enjoy!

I believe they do...on the menu, it's "xiaolong of xianghai" and it's awesome. Our daughter orders it everytime. 30 baht for 5 dumplings. For the newbie...wait for it to cool abit and then pop the whole dumpling in your mouth so you don't have broth dripping everywhere. :o

Shanghai Restaurant has a more complete menu now that includes meal sets ranging from 185 baht to 1680 baht. And gone are the italian-sounding names I mentioned, replaced with translations "Fried Aubergine with stuffed pork" (eggplant) and "Green pepper with RKstuff"?

Also, the dimsum place across the parking lot offers Guangdong-style dimsum (Cantonese) while Shanghai Rest. offers Shangainese-style.

And thanks for the Mekong rec...will give it a try.

Just wanted to add that the photos on the menu at Shanghai Rest. definitely do NOT do the dishes justice.

We had Set 2 for lunch and it includes Pork with Silk Noodles. Took a look back at the photo on the menu...would probably never had ordered it individually but now it's on my list of favorite dishes there.

Are there any places in CM that serve mouthwatering buttermilk biscuits, American-style? Art Cafe has mediocre ones; also thought I spied biscuit-lookalikes being served at UN Irish Pub but wasn't sure... why oh why can't Bake & Bite just serve biscuits?!? Maybe I should ask the owner next time...

Oh and speaking of, any off-chance there's sausage gravy 'round these here parts??

Edited by JoshMyPickle

Zen and Fuji are very good japanese restaurants but if you're looking for something not in a big mall or too pricey (and not necessarily sushi), try the small japanese restaurant next to Suriwong Bookstore (don't know the name) or Gohanya Japanese on Soi 7 MoonMuang. Good katsudon, gyoza, tempura udon, etc...

For Japanese food I go to Sakura, which is on the same soi as the main branch of Gecko Books, just a little further up the road. All the Japanese classics--I usually go for the chicken katsu set, sometimes the gyoza, cold soba, tempura, and all that. Never had the sushi--feel a little funny eating it this far away from the ocean. I lived up country in Japan for three years and can say that Sakura is 100% authentic Japanese. It's a little hole in the wall, usually has NHK on the TV, and a good collection of manga. I'm getting hungry...

Are there any places in CM that serve mouthwatering buttermilk biscuits, American-style? Art Cafe has mediocre ones; also thought I spied biscuit-lookalikes being served at UN Irish Pub but wasn't sure... why oh why can't Bake & Bite just serve biscuits?!? Maybe I should ask the owner next time...

Oh and speaking of, any off-chance there's sausage gravy 'round these here parts??

Sojo's which is behind Pantip Plaza near Suriwong Books has the best American-style biscuits in town; they are great as part of their egg and sausage, ham or bacon breakfast sandwiches - they have English muffins too.

I have heard that Art Cafe, Sojo's and also BAKE AND BITE have sausage gravy (so Bake and Bite must have biscuits now too), but I never ate biscuits that way at home and I haven't liked what I tried here.

The UN Irish pub has scones which look like biscuits, but are sweet and have a different texture -very different.

I like Sakura for good cheap Japanese food too, but not for sushi. They only serve vegetarian-style sushi, no fish.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Just found out yesterday, that the seafood place that used to be situated in front of O'Malleys in Anusan Market place, has re-opened at a new location. Don't know if this has been reported yet, but definately worth a mention. I belive it has been opened a few weeks now.

It is located on Chang Klan, go down chang klan to the traffic lights Pantip Plaza, go straight across and there it is some 200m on the left, a big yellow sign above it. It now has its own car park next to it as well.

Still well worth the visit.

Just found out yesterday, that the seafood place that used to be situated in front of O'Malleys in Anusan Market place, has re-opened at a new location. Don't know if this has been reported yet, but definately worth a mention. I belive it has been opened a few weeks now.

It is located on Chang Klan, go down chang klan to the traffic lights Pantip Plaza, go straight across and there it is some 200m on the left, a big yellow sign above it. It now has its own car park next to it as well.

I believe the name of the restaurant is Aun Hea Ha. Went there a few weeks ago, food was good, excellent tom yum talay soup! New location is bright and clean and they were offering 10% discount for the re-opening. Though when I was there, their live seafood tanks were not filled yet and their seafood were displayed on ice. Can not wait until they fill those tanks up, craving for a good, fresh steamed whole fish with ginger, scallion and soya sauce :o

I believe the name of the restaurant is Aun Hea Ha. Went there a few weeks ago, food was good, excellent tom yum talay soup! New location is bright and clean and they were offering 10% discount for the re-opening. Though when I was there, their live seafood tanks were not filled yet and their seafood were displayed on ice. Can not wait until they fill those tanks up, craving for a good, fresh steamed whole fish with ginger, scallion and soya sauce :o

been there 3 times since they re-opened! First week of opening they gave out little yellow polo-shirts to hang up in your car window! The carpark is a bonus but try to get a park under the awning as the middle of the carpark can be muddy. Plenty of space in the restaurant, they have gone upmarket with new orange chairs, used to be stainless stools and the bonus of a San Miguel girl promoting their beers :D I love the steamed fish as well and usually have that every time we go. Its a pity that most people wont be walk-bys as the restaurant is situated slightly past the major tourist area, however, the new market opening across the street may draw more punters in when it opens. Best Priced Thai seafood restaurant in town I reckon.

HI are taking applications for VIP cards if anyone never got around to it when it was the Sheraton. Reduces price of Sunday buffet from 550 to 450baht.

Anybody know if the standard Holiday Inn "kids eat for free" applies to the buffet? I know that kids can order for free from the children's menu if accompanied by a paying adult, but not sure about the buffet.

Thanks...

I'll answer my own question. Yes, kids under seven can eat at the buffet for free. Went there today for a dim sum lunch and cruised by the buffet on the way out.

By the way, the dim sum at the Chinese restaurant at the Holiday Inn was excellent. They had set menus for up to 470 baht, but we went a la cart. Ordered around nine dishes for two of us and the total was less than 800 baht--and 300 of that was for one dish, the BBQ pork and duck. They were constantly topping off our tea cups, and all the service was excellent.

At the end of the meal they offered us a VIP card application, as others have mentioned here. Filled out the card and they said it would be mailed to us. They also gave us two coupons for 35% discount on our next meal for two people.

been there 3 times since they re-opened! First week of opening they gave out little yellow polo-shirts to hang up in your car window! The carpark is a bonus but try to get a park under the awning as the middle of the carpark can be muddy. Plenty of space in the restaurant, they have gone upmarket with new orange chairs, used to be stainless stools and the bonus of a San Miguel girl promoting their beers :D I love the steamed fish as well and usually have that every time we go. Its a pity that most people wont be walk-bys as the restaurant is situated slightly past the major tourist area, however, the new market opening across the street may draw more punters in when it opens. Best Priced Thai seafood restaurant in town I reckon.

We rode past it today heading to Chiang Mai Central hospital - unrelated subject. I used to like that restaurant in the Anusarn Markets and pleased that they have been able to reopen.

Surprised to see the reference to a San Miguel girl - are they back? Missed them since they were banned under the alcohol promotion crackdown. Could this be the return of the Leo and Tiger girls Hmmmmm Tiger girls

CB

We rode past it today heading to Chiang Mai Central hospital - unrelated subject. I used to like that restaurant in the Anusarn Markets and pleased that they have been able to reopen.

Surprised to see the reference to a San Miguel girl - are they back? Missed them since they were banned under the alcohol promotion crackdown. Could this be the return of the Leo and Tiger girls Hmmmmm Tiger girls

CB

did someone mention tiger girls ? :D

Just had my son's birthday party and want to recommend a place for cake.

JJ Cafe on Tha Phae Road did a great job on the birthday cake. They had a limited selection (either chocolate or vanilla cake) but the chocolate was so good it didn't matter. We asked for a sample and they gave us a piece of chocolate for free--after the first bite I said let's do it. Cakes came in two, three, or four pound versions and we got the three pound chocolate. They did a good job decorating, and it tasted just awesome!

Only downside was the cost--690 baht for the three pound cake. It was enough to feed around 15 people, and we had some left over, though. But the price was worth it--great party, great cake.

Just had my son's birthday party and want to recommend a place for cake.

JJ Cafe on Tha Phae Road did a great job on the birthday cake. They had a limited selection (either chocolate or vanilla cake) but the chocolate was so good it didn't matter. We asked for a sample and they gave us a piece of chocolate for free--after the first bite I said let's do it. Cakes came in two, three, or four pound versions and we got the three pound chocolate. They did a good job decorating, and it tasted just awesome!

Only downside was the cost--690 baht for the three pound cake. It was enough to feed around 15 people, and we had some left over, though. But the price was worth it--great party, great cake.

speaking of birthday parties. what would be a good recommendation to celebrate someone's birthday for a party of 4? yes small group but just dont know where to surprise my wife for her birthday. Perhaps like a smaller room with the host getting a cake ready? something like that? anyone? her birthday is just a couple days away.

speaking of birthday parties. what would be a good recommendation to celebrate someone's birthday for a party of 4?

I haven't eaten there yet because it is so out of the way, but SabaiJai loves Mi Casa and it sounds great to me. They have another branch in Hong Kong which is pretty impressive for Chiang Mai.

speaking of birthday parties. what would be a good recommendation to celebrate someone's birthday for a party of 4?

I haven't eaten there yet because it is so out of the way, but SabaiJai loves Mi Casa and it sounds great to me. They have another branch in Hong Kong which is pretty impressive for Chiang Mai.

Have to agree with you on that one. Mi Casa is fantastic, and a great place for a small birthday gathering. My wife just adores the place, as she gets easily bored with blandish farang food, which Mi Casa is not.

http://www.micasachiangmai.com/site/index.html

Mi Casa is great for gatherings/parties, be sure to ask for a free slice of cake on birthdays -- we all shared a yummy brick of cheesecake.

My only complaint is that the Sunday brunches at Mi Casa are NOT all-you-can drink Sangria... are there any at all in Chiang Mai??? I found one in Phuket, at a restaurant near Kamala that reminded me of Mi Casa, ironically enough.

Have to agree with you on that one. Mi Casa is fantastic, and a great place for a small birthday gathering. My wife just adores the place, as she gets easily bored with blandish farang food, which Mi Casa is not.

http://www.micasachiangmai.com/site/index.html

Hi UG and AT, Thanks so much for your recommendations. Was thinking La Casa, but thats different!. Italian that is. Shall get in touch with them to organise something for me :o

TB.

Someone mentioned the Thailand Tatler Best Restaurants guide a few pages ago. I have, for the past five years, been asked to recommend the best restaurant for them from Chiang Mai and its that time of the year again. Basically it's Tatler, so they like restaurants which have the overall food/ambiace/service/bev/wine list and all that, so however wonderful the food in a hole in the wall is they are looking for a bit more of a complete dining experience. Last year I picked:

Bann Tazala

Le Coq d'Or

Le Crystal

The Duke's

Farang Ses

Fujian

Giorgio

The House

Mi Casa

Moxie

Piccolo Roma

Rachamankha

The Chedi

Four Season's Terraces

This year am hoping to add Tha Jeen Chom Chan, Chiang Dao Nest, and maybe Mei Jiang - what do you think? I'd love to have more Thai/Asian type restaurants, but most of them are quite basic and don't have the whole haute dining thing. (unfortunately I have to delete a few too as we must rotate).

Would be really grateful for any futher recommendations...The restaurants get a great free writeup and the book is very successfully sold, so it's a nice thing to be picked. If you have any ideas for a restaurant you want to recommend I would be so grateful!

Cheers, P.

Stephano of Da Stephano has opened a new vegetarian/healthy Italian restaurant on the intersection near AUA language school. Very good and they also have a bunch of meat dishes.

Interesting that the original La Pulcinella Da Stefano has a long list of vegetarian dishes on their menu, while the new vegetarian branch has meat dishes. I wonder if it's basically the same menu with a different sign out front? :o Just joking, I'm sure Stefano would go to great lengths to make them different, and I look forward to trying the new spot.

Someone mentioned the Thailand Tatler Best Restaurants guide a few pages ago. I have, for the past five years, been asked to recommend the best restaurant for them from Chiang Mai and its that time of the year again. Basically it's Tatler, so they like restaurants which have the overall food/ambiace/service/bev/wine list and all that, so however wonderful the food in a hole in the wall is they are looking for a bit more of a complete dining experience. Last year I picked:

Bann Tazala

Le Coq d'Or

Le Crystal

The Duke's

Farang Ses

Fujian

Giorgio

The House

Mi Casa

Moxie

Piccolo Roma

Rachamankha

The Chedi

Four Season's Terraces

This year am hoping to add Tha Jeen Chom Chan, Chiang Dao Nest, and maybe Mei Jiang - what do you think? I'd love to have more Thai/Asian type restaurants, but most of them are quite basic and don't have the whole haute dining thing. (unfortunately I have to delete a few too as we must rotate).

Would be really grateful for any futher recommendations...The restaurants get a great free writeup and the book is very successfully sold, so it's a nice thing to be picked. If you have any ideas for a restaurant you want to recommend I would be so grateful!

Cheers, P.

I'd delete Giorgio, which IMO is just horrible and add Kaomao Kaofang.

Stephano of Da Stephano has opened a new vegetarian/healthy Italian restaurant on the intersection near AUA language school. Very good and they also have a bunch of meat dishes.

Interesting that the original La Pulcinella Da Stefano has a long list of vegetarian dishes on their menu, while the new vegetarian branch has meat dishes. I wonder if it's basically the same menu with a different sign out front? :o Just joking, I'm sure Stefano would go to great lengths to make them different, and I look forward to trying the new spot.

Stefano has added a bunch of new, better (in my opinion) vegetarian dishes to the new menu. I've been eating there pretty often since the new one opened. :D

Tried the kao soi out at Kao Soi Lamduon ( their 2nd recently opened branch) today, superb. Just as good as their Faham branch only easier access (for me anyway). Massive area downstairs for normal use, and upstairs for functions and the like. It's located on the Superhighway, left hand side, 500 meters before the Kuang Singh (Mae Rim Rd) intersection coming from Huay Kaew Rd.

post-31110-1186058340_thumb.jpg