Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

I'd have to recommend the new farang cabaret joint where the downunder used to be - bringing great entertainment to CM.

Rumor is that Munro's has enough clout and connections to eventually extend their hours well into the late night hours... let's hope they have the insatiable clientele to support such a prospect!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried the kao soi out at Kao Soi Lamduon ( their 2nd recently opened branch) today, superb. Just as good as their Faham branch only easier access (for me anyway). Massive area downstairs for normal use, and upstairs for functions and the like. It's located on the Superhighway, left hand side, 500 meters before the Kuang Singh (Mae Rim Rd) intersection coming from Huay Kaew Rd.

Austhaied can you put up a similar google map for the Faham branch please?

thanks

CB

Tried the kao soi out at Kao Soi Lamduon ( their 2nd recently opened branch) today, superb. Just as good as their Faham branch only easier access (for me anyway). Massive area downstairs for normal use, and upstairs for functions and the like. It's located on the Superhighway, left hand side, 500 meters before the Kuang Singh (Mae Rim Rd) intersection coming from Huay Kaew Rd.

thanks

CB

Can't remember the exact location CB, although it's not far from the Bears Den-ish.

thanks

CB

Can't remember the exact location CB, although it's not far from the Bears Den-ish.

Ahhh is the same one as I thought - I have eaten there before but couldn't remember the name but "thought" it was the same as in your post. Good Khao Soi.

Keeping this back on track - anyone tried the Just Khao Soi on Th. Charoen Pratet. I have been there a couple of times in the past. I think it very nice and well presented but pretty pricey. Rarely see anyone in there which is a pity.

CB

I had mentioned about Mekong Restaurant before, but their actual name is Mei Jiang - sorry about the confusion.

The chef/owner is originally from Hong Kong and has worked as a chef in a 5-star hotel in China. The Cantonese food is very authentic and he also whips up pretty good Szechuan dishes as well. Enjoy!

Had dinner at Mei Jiang inside ChangKlan Plaza...excellent. Good stuff.

I'd have to recommend the new farang cabaret joint where the downunder used to be - bringing great entertainment to CM.

Rumor is that Munro's has enough clout and connections to eventually extend their hours well into the late night hours... let's hope they have the insatiable clientele to support such a prospect!

Im sure they have lots of 'pull'.

just had dinner today at KhaoMao KhaoFang. wonderful settings. lovely really. took a friend there who came up from bangkok. have to say that the food was a total dissapointment. maybe cooked with farang in mind as nothing was spicy although it was supposed to be and extremely sweet.

thanks

CB

My mistake, it's not near The Bears Den. It's on the same stretch of road as Buonissimo.

post-31110-1186389932_thumb.jpg

Edited by Austhaied

just had dinner today at KhaoMao KhaoFang. wonderful settings. lovely really. took a friend there who came up from bangkok. have to say that the food was a total dissapointment. maybe cooked with farang in mind as nothing was spicy although it was supposed to be and extremely sweet.

Sorry to hear it. I find almost all Thai food to be too sweet and usually not spicy enough. Whatever i order I tell them "mae wan" and "phet" or "phet phet" depending on level of spiciness desired. I find many restaurants make a lot of assumptions rather than asking your preference. After a few disappointments, I now, just tell them upfront. better luck next time.

Sorry to hear it. I find almost all Thai food to be too sweet and usually not spicy enough. Whatever i order I tell them "mae wan" and "phet" or "phet phet" depending on level of spiciness desired. I find many restaurants make a lot of assumptions rather than asking your preference. After a few disappointments, I now, just tell them upfront. better luck next time.

its a wonderful setting though. like to give it another try sometime. yes thats what me and missus figured, next time tell them how we want our food made ! .. they could increase their portion of food though. .

For those who like Thai food, I enjoyed the kanom jeen (at least I think that's what it's called) in the Warorot (also spelled Waroros) Market the other night, hidden off to the side, next to some of the shops/mall which is closed at night. Sorry I can't be clearer as to the location but I've only been in CM a few days.

But the absolute best thing I've had so far in CM was at the Tanin (Thanin) Market last night -- WOW, what a place! -- in the take-home foods section where I got some really amazing mussels and green beans (and basil I think) in a hot curry sauce, as well as a great crunchy thin-sliced yellow vegetable thing (bamboo shoots maybe?). This was a curry vendor in the eastern part of the take-home food section not too far from the fish vendors. Then over to the southwestern side, I found a friendly guy selling various items wrapped in banana leaves. I got something with pork which was fantastic. The only problem was that I had to find a place to eat this wonderful stuff since I'm a tourist rather than a local. Heh. Didn't see any other falang there until later, when there were two smokin' hot French (?) women buying plain sticky rice.

However, over in the northeastern part of the sit-down food area, I was served a pretty terrible tom yum gai (tom yum with chicken). Wanted shrimp but they gave me chicken. Need to improve my Thai language skills! Asked for spicy and they simply poured tons of red pepper into it which made it possibly the spiciest thing I've ever eaten, but without much taste. Pretty blah. Some other people further to the west in this section were eating a fascinating-looking reddish-colored soup... wonder what that was. Might have to go back and check it out.

Had a craving for something non-Thai but also non-western, so I went to Arabia on my first night in Chiang Mai. Not impressed. Saag paneer and naan were OK but nothing special. Ho-hum. The mango lassi was really fantastic, though. But you'd hope so, given how good the mango is in Thailand!

Also went to Aroon (Rai) and had a very good dish there, a northern Thai sausage salad. Lots of falang at Aroon so they didn't make my dish spicy in the slightest even though I asked for it spicy. Great stuff anyway. Think I enjoyed Tanin more, but hard to get any real scope because as a single person I can only try so many different things.

Any suggestions for other great cheap Thai food in CM? Anybody else exploring the food stalls of Chiang Mai over the next few days? Let me know if you want to join forces.

However, over in the northeastern part of the sit-down food area, I was served a pretty terrible tom yum gai (tom yum with chicken). Wanted shrimp but they gave me chicken. Need to improve my Thai language skills!

yep you need to improve your language skills you asked for tom yum gai and that is what they served you.

For local food there are litterally thousands of roadside carts and small restaurants from which to choose.

Non thai is much more expensive and has a smaller selection. Pizza and Burgers are a prime source of rant on these pages with expats offering up their personal views on where to get the best one but the reality is that compared to "back in the West" they are second rate at best. Better to stick to Thai food and occassionally step out for a bit of comfort food.

Enjoy your time up here

CB

Actually I didn't ask for tom yum gai -- in fact I asked for tom yum and pointed to the Thai word for "shrimp" (or "prawn" if you like) on the menu. And I know it said "shrimp" b/c I checked it in my little Thai-English glossary. But they said "tom yum gai?" and foolishly I nodded. Then I realized my mistake. Ooops! Well, thanks for the reply! I guess there's no half-decent falafel in this town, eh? Got a hankering for that, but not for western food.

I guess there's no half-decent falafel in this town, eh? Got a hankering for that, but not for western food.

I have only had falafel in the US and in Thailand, but I'm pretty sure that Jeruselem Falafel on Moon Muang Street near Thapae Gate is quite good. It is one of the best that I've had in Thailand. :o

But the absolute best thing I've had so far in CM was at the Tanin (Thanin) Market last night -- WOW, what a place! -- in the take-home foods section where I got some really amazing mussels and green beans (and basil I think) in a hot curry sauce, as well as a great crunchy thin-sliced yellow vegetable thing (bamboo shoots maybe?). This was a curry vendor in the eastern part of the take-home food section not too far from the fish vendors. Then over to the southwestern side, I found a friendly guy selling various items wrapped in banana leaves. I got something with pork which was fantastic. The only problem was that I had to find a place to eat this wonderful stuff since I'm a tourist rather than a local. Heh. Didn't see any other falang there until later, when there were two smokin' hot French (?) women buying plain sticky rice.

I really like market food but my stomach has finally persuaded me to stay off the pre-cooked curries as I've got dysentery twice from eating them - funnily enough I seemed to tolerate them better when I was just visiting than since I came to live here permanently.

I got some really amazing mussels and green beans (and basil I think) in a hot curry sauce, as well as a great crunchy thin-sliced yellow vegetable thing (bamboo shoots maybe?).

The first one sounds like 'phad phed hoi' (or 'hoi phad phrik gaeng) and the second dish is probably bamboo shoots (naw maai (or 'nor maai' if you're English) like you suspected .

Hey Meadish_Sweatball, thanks for the dish IDs. And in fact, the mussels DID give me some problems... I wouldn't call it dysentery, but let's just say I spent a lot of the next 12 to 18 hours in the bathroom. I feel a lot better now, though. Those mussels were so good that they were ALMOST worth the trouble. I should've remembered to stay away from any shellfish that may've been sitting around.

Tonight I had something really good on Th Suthep a little ways west of the ring road. It was an open-air joint open late. I suspect it was Thai-Chinese since they only supplied chopsticks and spoons, with no forks, and also because the dish I tried had maybe a Chinese flair, but it was way better than most of the (Americanized boring) Chinese food I've had in the U.S., presumably because it's been "Thai-ized" rather than Americanized. It was a beef and cashews in a spicy red sauce with onions and peppers. Yum. Maybe I was just craving something Chinese (but spicy too). I snapped a couple of pictures of the place but there weren't any signs in English as I recall.

Tomorrow I'm heading up towards Chiang Dao and Tha Ton, so goodbye, Chiang Mai!

Edited by Ike1

I'm always tempted when I see the mussel dishes on the menu. One bad experience, where I got sick afterwards, has me limiting my non fish seafood eating to Bangkok and beach cities now. All the more reason to plan the occasional trip out of town.

New Zealand mussels 250 baht a kilo from Rimping Nim City. Barbecued with garlic and parsley butter..Superb, just ask McG and Crowboy. They were both fighting the cats over the shells by midnight.

<br />
I'm always tempted when I see the mussel dishes on the menu. One bad experience, where I got sick afterwards, has me limiting my non fish seafood eating to Bangkok and beach cities now. All the more reason to plan the occasional trip out of town.
<br />New Zealand mussels 250 baht a kilo from Rimping Nim City. Barbecued with garlic and parsley butter..Superb, just ask McG and Crowboy. They were both fighting the cats over the shells by midnight.<br />

And a marvelous repast it was, and let's not forget the cheese and olives, the MAGNIFICENT salad with avocado, yellow bell pepper, and the delectible NZ ribeye steaks. Washed down with a most decent red wine (and Coopers for Crow Boy). Followed by Aussie Rules footie, and much good conversation. Truly a stellar evening....

PS I've been poisoned by bad mussels before- not good. Austhaied's were flawless, and Mrs. Austhaied also gets credit here.... :o

Edited by mcgriffith

<br />
<br />New Zealand mussels 250 baht a kilo from Rimping Nim City. Barbecued with garlic and parsley butter..Superb, just ask McG and Crowboy. They were both fighting the cats over the shells by midnight.<br />

And a marvelous repast it was, and let's not forget the cheese and olives, the MAGNIFICENT salad with avocado, yellow bell pepper, and the delectible NZ ribeye steaks. Washed down with a most decent red wine (and Coopers for Crow Boy). Followed by Aussie Rules footie, and much good conversation. Truly a stellar evening....

PS I've been poisoned by bad mussels before- not good. Austhaied's were flawless, and Mrs. Austhaied also gets credit here.... :o

Oh yes what a place "Mia Casa del AusThaied" After a consistent diet of Thai it was a shock to the system to have such a meal. Keeping with the theme of mutual backslapping I must point out that McSpicy knows how to bbq a chunk of steak. I like mine rare to the point of bellowing on the plate and it came done to perfection. It shows the quality of the meat when you can eat a steak like this.

CB "hmmmm steak and Coopers Ale - life is good"

For those who like Thai food, I enjoyed the kanom jeen (at least I think that's what it's called) in the Warorot (also spelled Waroros) Market the other night, hidden off to the side, next to some of the shops/mall which is closed at night. Sorry I can't be clearer as to the location but I've only been in CM a few days.

However, over in the northeastern part of the sit-down food area, I was served a pretty terrible tom yum gai (tom yum with chicken). Wanted shrimp but they gave me chicken. Need to improve my Thai language skills! Asked for spicy and they simply poured tons of red pepper into it which made it possibly the spiciest thing I've ever eaten, but without much taste. Pretty blah. Some other people further to the west in this section were eating a fascinating-looking reddish-colored soup... wonder what that was. Might have to go back and check it out.

Had a craving for something non-Thai but also non-western, so I went to Arabia on my first night in Chiang Mai. Not impressed. Saag paneer and naan were OK but nothing special. Ho-hum. The mango lassi was really fantastic, though. But you'd hope so, given how good the mango is in Thailand!

Also went to Aroon (Rai) and had a very good dish there, a northern Thai sausage salad. Lots of falang at Aroon so they didn't make my dish spicy in the slightest even though I asked for it spicy. Great stuff anyway. Think I enjoyed Tanin more, but hard to get any real scope because as a single person I can only try so many different things.

Any suggestions for other great cheap Thai food in CM? Anybody else exploring the food stalls of Chiang Mai over the next few days? Let me know if you want to join forces.

Well, you can find so many places to eat, from street food to expensive restaurants...

I've been a couple of times to a restaurant on moonmuang (green mango) next from the famous mad dog.

They have classic western food but we don't really care about that ( or maybe just me ) but also some

indian and thai food.

And both are good.

About the thai food you won't have to mention spicy if you want to eat spicy.

Just order a 'pad kapaw' and believe me they gonna cook it same they would do for thai people.

Get your stomach ready !!!

For the price I can't say it's cheap or expensive but even you spend a little bit more you gonna eat some original thai food for 50 to 70 baths.

Indian food is little bit more expensive with prices from 50 (vegetarian) to 100B for dishes with shrimps.

One other thing about pizzas but I don't know the name of the soi...

A new restaurant own by two french guys and named 'la bouche gourmande' with the mouth and tongue from the rolling stones.

They have some really big and good pizzas for less than 200 Baths.

It's the soi behind the T-room ghouse.

May everybody enjoy their meals...

If any other places ( good places ) to know please mention...

• 2 weeks later...

Phuket Seafood 51/1 Irrigation Canal Rd. I'll go out on a limb and say it's the best Tom Yam Plaa i have had in Chiangmai. For lovers of shrimp cakes (tod man gung) you will be happy with your choice here. Another fantastic dish was the squid in black pepper sauce (plaa muuk pad priktai dam). The missus and mother and law agreed and said "we wish we had of known earlier".. Very well priced for what you get. We took ours home to eat, but the view and atmosphere would make it a decent night out for dinner..

Phuket Seafood 51/1 Irrigation Canal Rd.

Sounds interesting. Whereabouts on the Irrigation Canal Road is that?

It's not on the satellite image, as it mustn't be older than 3 years (which the images are). That's where it is though. No English sign (not that i could see anyway), but they have an English menu. Yes the same prices as the Thai menu.

post-31110-1188139073_thumb.jpg

Edited by Austhaied