Kudos From Taking Most Dangerous Position In A Truck.

Richb2004v2

Is there some sort of kudos to be gained from taking the most irresponsible position when in a moving vehicle? I’ve seen countless times a pick up or truck of some sort with one or more men sat in crazy positions when they could easily be sat in a spot that’s much safer. I’ve seen pick up with an empty back and a guy sat on the roof of the cab with next to nothing for him to hold on to. I’ve also seen many times young men sat on the edge of a pick up when they could easily sit in the back where it’s safer. Then there are the people that sit on the open back door of a truck even though the inside is empty. This is usually young men which leads me to think it’s a bit of a ‘showing off’ thing. Some of the positions are incredible. I saw two guys in a large empty truck yesterday who were standing on the very edge and one of them was ever balancing on one foot to look around the edge of the truck! I got the feeling he was doing it for me as I drove behind him, or at least to show off to those that could see him. The only explanation I can think of is to do with getting the cooling wind, but this doesn’t make sense with some of the things I’ve seen. I guess it’s just cultural and I’ll never understand. :o

Is there some sort of kudos to be gained from taking the most irresponsible position when in a moving vehicle? I've seen countless times a pick up or truck of some sort with one or more men sat in crazy positions when they could easily be sat in a spot that's much safer. I've seen pick up with an empty back and a guy sat on the roof of the cab with next to nothing for him to hold on to. I've also seen many times young men sat on the edge of a pick up when they could easily sit in the back where it's safer. Then there are the people that sit on the open back door of a truck even though the inside is empty. This is usually young men which leads me to think it's a bit of a 'showing off' thing. Some of the positions are incredible. I saw two guys in a large empty truck yesterday who were standing on the very edge and one of them was ever balancing on one foot to look around the edge of the truck! I got the feeling he was doing it for me as I drove behind him, or at least to show off to those that could see him. The only explanation I can think of is to do with getting the cooling wind, but this doesn't make sense with some of the things I've seen. I guess it's just cultural and I'll never understand. :o

Not so bad as car surfing in the US...do a google/youtube search for it and just shake your head... :D

Is there some sort of kudos to be gained from taking the most irresponsible position when in a moving vehicle? I've seen countless times a pick up or truck of some sort with one or more men sat in crazy positions when they could easily be sat in a spot that's much safer. I've seen pick up with an empty back and a guy sat on the roof of the cab with next to nothing for him to hold on to. I've also seen many times young men sat on the edge of a pick up when they could easily sit in the back where it's safer. Then there are the people that sit on the open back door of a truck even though the inside is empty. This is usually young men which leads me to think it's a bit of a 'showing off' thing. Some of the positions are incredible. I saw two guys in a large empty truck yesterday who were standing on the very edge and one of them was ever balancing on one foot to look around the edge of the truck! I got the feeling he was doing it for me as I drove behind him, or at least to show off to those that could see him. The only explanation I can think of is to do with getting the cooling wind, but this doesn't make sense with some of the things I've seen. I guess it's just cultural and I'll never understand. :o

Not so bad as car surfing in the US...do a google/youtube search for it and just shake your head... :D

Or the "air bagging" that was popular in some European countries a few years ago. Youngsters stole cars that had installed air bags, only to see who dared to have the highest speed when they rammed the stolen car into a wall.

The ones on the roofs of the bigger trucks are there to lift electric wires out of the way so the truck can pass underneath!!! Bizzare but true! :D

There is a big mango tree outside my house at the roadside, and it just cracks me up to see the same ones getting smacked in the face by it every other day, usual response though....just grin and laugh!! :o

]Seeing pictures like this are just a small reminder that some people were left slightly behind in the evolutionary process of going from the mentality level of a great ape to that of a human being.
This started as a tread about not taking a safer seat when one is available (a very humorous one to me at that) but then the pictures clearly depict the poorer people who quite often have to overcrowded and unsafe ways. To make fun of the former is fair game, but following a picture of the latter, ..................................................

agree...it's not like they can afford a limo to go to the fields...

Has the poster making the smart a_rse comments about the intelligence of the people shown in the attached photo's ever considered why these poor souls have to put their lives at risk to earn a miserable Bht 150 / day on mainly unsafe building sites. The answer is probably not, too wrapped up in their own insensitive self importance.

Has the poster making the smart a_rse comments about the intelligence of the people shown in the attached photo's ever considered why these poor souls have to put their lives at risk to earn a miserable Bht 150 / day on mainly unsafe building sites. The answer is probably not, too wrapped up in their own insensitive self importance.

Yes, we should all be thankful that we were brought up in countries where such dangerous methods of commuting to and from work simply don't exist.

Here's another example. At least this pick-up has a shiny steel bar to hang on to - not that the guy at the back is using it. I hope the pick-up doesn't accelerate too quickly:

gallery_35489_957_154671.jpg

Yes, it must have been this chaps unfortunate financial situation that led him to opt to perch precariously on the edge of the pickup, even though there seems to be space in the relative safety of the loading areas itself :o .

Yes, being in a better financial position doesn't automatically mean that a person will grow a functioning brain.

You just have to realise that some people are just too stupid to realise when they are putting themselves in a dangerous position.

I don't even know if there is a law against riding in the back/on top of a pick up. If there isn't maybe they should make a new law that they have to wear helmets. BiB would love that, maybe 5000Baht plus for one pull.