Amazing On What Thai People Will Do For 500baht

fm2002

What superior people we are.

Illiterate farmers easily swayed by propaganda and money have no business voting in a democracy.

They should behave like us...after all the woman at a McCain rally denouncing Obama as a muslim...is an example of our intellect.

We, the superior ones, only elect intelligent, honest, and capable persons...after all, the US gave us Bush, Bachmann, and the ilk.

We get sit behind our computers and denounce citizens of the country we are guest in. But, we are superior people. All of us know correct way to live and govern. Just look at our countries.

Farm labourers with the mind of a 10 year old should not be allowed to vote

Apart from the 10 year old's grammar, your post is extremely offensive...particularly to anyone who has lived in Asian farming communities.

Should we leave the voting for the urban (educated) elite and outlaw voting for the rural population?

Apart from the 10 year old's grammar, your post is extremely offensive...particularly to anyone who has lived in Asian farming communities.

Should we leave the voting for the urban (educated) elite and outlaw voting for the rural population?

never mind assessing the intellect of rural farmers, we should be questioning the intellect of some highly paid government ministers assistants who that in the face of the growing prospects of violent disruption to the Asean summit booked the Chinese prime minister, the Japanese prime minister and the South Korean president into the Dusit instead of the Royal Cliff?

thus making attending meetings a drive all the way across town instead of a casual walk across the car park

what were those morons thinking??

never mind assessing the intellect of rural farmers, we should be questioning the intellect of some highly paid government ministers assistants who that in the face of the growing prospects of violent disruption to the Asean summit booked the Chinese prime minister, the Japanese prime minister and the South Korean president into the Dusit instead of the Royal Cliff?

thus making attending meetings a drive all the way across town instead of a casual walk across the car park

what were those morons thinking??

i think it's all part of a conspiracy by a well informed bahtbus driver.....

So you favor setting intelligence requirements on who is allowed to vote?

it is actually a good idea, but, sadly, unworkable in practice.

they should have it in many countries, not only thailand !!!!

It isn't only unworkable, it is also unconstitutional, at least in the US.

What about paraplegics? They slow down the voting line and block the booth.

What about blind people? Those seeing eye dogs can be such a bother to other, more gifted, citizens.

My point is....where do you draw the line with your restricted voting privileges?

At least people should know what they vote for. A simple test to show they understand what the different parties stand for would be nice, however, as already said, sadly unworkable in practice.

I take no sides between Yellow or Red, but I know for a fact that people from Issan are being bused up here, given free food and 500 baht per day to join in the protest. What is hard to believe that they do all this for only 500 baht ! I live right next to where the Red Shirts are congregating in Pattaya (behind Big C soi 2) and it's basically a empty dirt lot where they setup floodlights and blare loud speaches and video all night long. It's almost George Orwell "Big Brother" like. There meant to eat, sleep (don't know how; I can't), and be brainwashed all right there. It's 5:30AM now. In about an hour the buses will start departing for Jomtien where without any sleep they will herd up in the hot weather all day. All for 500 baht :o

That's 3 days pay for a farm labourer so perhaps not so suprising :D:D:D

I live in a village 40kms from Korat and about 12-15 people from the village are in BKK with the Red Shirts and are NOT being paid.

They are protesting for what they believe is their right to elect a government through the Ballot Box.

You sound about 8 yo to make a stupid comment like that.

I take no sides between Yellow or Red, but I know for a fact that people from Issan are being bused up here, given free food and 500 baht per day to join in the protest. What is hard to believe that they do all this for only 500 baht ! I live right next to where the Red Shirts are congregating in Pattaya (behind Big C soi 2) and it's basically a empty dirt lot where they setup floodlights and blare loud speaches and video all night long. It's almost George Orwell "Big Brother" like. There meant to eat, sleep (don't know how; I can't), and be brainwashed all right there. It's 5:30AM now. In about an hour the buses will start departing for Jomtien where without any sleep they will herd up in the hot weather all day. All for 500 baht :o

That's 3 days pay for a farm labourer so perhaps not so suprising :D:D:D

I live in a village 40kms from Korat and about 12-15 people from the village are in BKK with the Red Shirts and are NOT being paid.

They are protesting for what they believe is their right to elect a government through the Ballot Box.

Yes, i was sitting outside in a coffee shop in December and watched a good sized crowd head up that way. Sad that everybody keeps disrupting things. So bad for the country overall, and all probably will not end as long as the military governs. Make no bones about it, they tossed out the constitution when they over threw Thaksin. If one rips up contracts, then you have no rule of law. Nine trips to the LOS and I want more, but all this mess pretty much guarantess I will not move any business or significant financial interests over there for either work or for my semi retirement. Glad I experienced some good times there. Hope there are more.

So you favor setting intelligence requirements on who is allowed to vote?

it is actually a good idea, but, sadly, unworkable in practice.

they should have it in many countries, not only thailand !!!!

It isn't only unworkable, it is also unconstitutional, at least in the US.

What about paraplegics? They slow down the voting line and block the booth.

What about blind people? Those seeing eye dogs can be such a bother to other, more gifted, citizens.

My point is....where do you draw the line with your restricted voting privileges?

At least people should know what they vote for. A simple test to show they understand what the different parties stand for would be nice, however, as already said, sadly unworkable in practice.

If someone could explain to me simply what the different parties stand for without resorting to personalities and accusations I would greatly appreciate it.

Your absolutly correct they should continue to be poweless in there own country to supply the rich and educated with cheap labor and of course keep the prostitution business supplied with young ladies.

dont want people with " minds of 10 year olds" voting?? provide education. what is done to the people of the north is down right criminal.

edit: guess i should have read the whole thread to realize my view had already been stated several times. but that comment truly pissed me off.

Edited by Dkalasz

As I wrote a few months back when the Yellow shirts were in charge of the airport. The core problem is lack of funding to educate the poor. If you educate the poor they will be smarter voters and thereby be represented by those that are truly acting in there best interest. This will lead to the poor blossoming into a middle class. A strong middle class is the sign of a working democracy. As it stands the Yellow or the Red leaders don't give a dam_n about the poor just controlling them and what better way to keep them under control than by keeping them ignorant.

Side note - I feel sorry for Thailand. What just happened at Royal Cliff must be an embarassment for Thailand. People from the outside and I hope inside Thailand will not look at this as a sign of democracy, but instead as a step back into third world status. I'm from the USA and believe in democracy, but in this case I wish the King was back in charge for only He demands the respect of the people in this country no matter how much money is involved !

I consistently find that foreigners don't understand how to PROPERLY convert Thai currency in the local economy.

10 baht = the equivalent of $1

100 baht = the equivalent of $10

1,000 baht = the equivalent of $100

10,000 baht = the equivalent of $1,000

100,000 baht = the equivalent of $10,000

etc., etc. - see a pattern, here?

So:

500 baht for a day's wage in Thailand to a Thai is the equivalent of $50 paid to an American in America.

15,000 baht for a month's rent in Thailand to a Thai is the equivalent of $1,500 paid by an American in America.

10 baht for chewing gum in Thailand to a Thai is the equivalent of $1 paid by an American in America.

80 baht for a movie ticket in Thailand to a Thai is the equivalent of $8 paid by an American in America.

3,000,000 baht for a house/condo in Thailand to a Thai is the equivalent of $300,000 paid by an American in America.

Applying the PROPER conversion to any purchase, wage, rent, etc., you will understand what and by how much things are actually "cheap" or "expensive".

I remain amazed at the majority foreigners who have lived in Thailand for years/decades who STILL haven't figured this out and continue to rip themselves off daily by negotiating from a currency conversion perspective rather than a local conversion perspective then complain about it or why Thais see them as walking ATMs.

Applying the PROPER conversion to any purchase, wage, rent, etc., you will understand what and by how much things are actually "cheap" or "expensive".

Edited by SNGLIFE

i am not yellow or red

What horse manure. You are a Thaksin hater and not real big on telling the truth either! :o

:D Prove it or shut up. The OP is spot on about Thaksin, or are you deaf, dumb and blind like many of his so called supporters.

I consistently find that foreigners don't understand how to PROPERLY convert Thai currency in the local economy.

10 baht = the equivalent of $1

100 baht = the equivalent of $10

1,000 baht = the equivalent of $100

10,000 baht = the equivalent of $1,000

100,000 baht = the equivalent of $10,000

etc., etc. - see a pattern, here?

So:

500 baht for a day's wage in Thailand to a Thai is the equivalent of $50 paid to an American in America.

15,000 baht for a month's rent in Thailand to a Thai is the equivalent of $1,500 paid by an American in America.

10 baht for chewing gum in Thailand to a Thai is the equivalent of $1 paid by an American in America.

80 baht for a movie ticket in Thailand to a Thai is the equivalent of $8 paid by an American in America.

3,000,000 baht for a house/condo in Thailand to a Thai is the equivalent of $300,000 paid by an American in America.

I remain amazed at the majority foreigners who have lived in Thailand for years/decades who STILL haven't figured this out and continue to rip themselves off daily by negotiating from a currency conversion perspective rather than a local conversion perspective then complain about it or why Thais see them as walking ATMs.

you're brilliant when you're so high up above. anyway, can you explain your "proper" conversion to me? i only have a currency converter on hand...

i am not yellow or red

What horse manure. You are a Thaksin hater and not real big on telling the truth either! :D

:D Prove it or shut up. The OP is spot on about Thaksin, or are you deaf, dumb and blind like many of his so called supporters.

I'm not the one saying that I'm not on either side and then writing a million posts proving that I

am. :o

in a country where money is the be all and end all of everything and morals and value have little, if any meaning it is not surprising that people will agree to do almost anything for money and can be bought for chump change. Does this not describe USA as well???

a taxi driver was interviewed on thai news yesterday or the day before, she was involved in the taxi blockade. she said that she was offered 1000b to park her taxi to block the road and had no hesitation in accepting the offer. she had no allegiance to the red shirts but said "who wouldnt do it for 1000b" 1000b is a lot of money for a country where the per capita income is low. that's whay you are here, isnt it...because it is cheap here. Say in USA or Europe, if someone offerred USD10k to attend, I bet you there'll be thousands lining up too. So it may happen in a first world country if the price is right.

endure

All for 3 times the minimum wage with free food too. Quite a bargain if you're starving and broke.

which is why there is some truth when it is said that these people are too stupid to be allowed vote in a democratic electoral process...... same with the yellows who took money to demonstrate. Ah yes, first we deny voting rights for stupid people. Then let's deny women as well, oh and what about those homosexuals/lefties/muslims/single mums. Gee, I wonder who decides which voter is stupid and who decides who gets to vote? Perhaps a better solution is improved education and reducing poverty over time?

a society as immoral and corrupt as thailands is just not ready yet for democracy as defined by western standards. Funny this, most Thais think USA and some European countries, Australia, NZ are immoral as defined by Asian standards. You are in Thailand mate, perhaps you need to be a little more generous in your opinion of your hosts here. If you were in my home and said my home is unclean by your standards, I'd boot you out before you can spell "culturally sensitive".

i am not yellow or red

What horse manure. You are a Thaksin hater and not real big on telling the truth either! :D

I'm not the one saying that I'm not on either side and then writing a million posts proving that I

am. :o

:D

Maybe because he does not agree with your blinkered/limited view of Thai politics.

As I said before, prove it or shut up.

SFB :D