State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

Samaks was the first un-democratic party so none of those government should have been in power.

So the 2007 election did not happen then ? people did not actually vote for him? was it all an illusion or perhaps are bad dream?

It was no illusion he was not voted for the coalition was made up by partys some of wich sated that they would not join this coalition during the elections.

Samak was elected buy the coalition government which should not have been allowed as it was in dirct conflict with varies partys promises during the election. Just after the election everone expected a democrat led coaltion.

Go and read the news.

Unfortunately going back on you campaign promises is not against the law. True the PPP had a coalition of parties that in turn elected samark. Wrangling over MP's and coalition members is pretty standard fare in politics, in the previous elections TRT preferred to to use the party merge method over coalitions (the 2007 constitution forbids this) but none of these tactics invalidate a government. There were free and fair elections and the fairly elected officials in turn elected a PM.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some have asked about the effect this will have on Tourism to Thailand. As a Tour Operator who brings groups to Thailand (and the rest of the world) I can only say this. Most people book long haul travel 6 - 8 months in advance.

Last year when the airport was occupied all tourists coming for the high season had already paid for their trips. Hence very few actually cancelled. Numbers were down in Thailand no more than they were in the rest of the world. Recession has caused the huge drop in Tourism numbers.

However this weekend's events are a very different matter. People all over the world are now deciding where to get their winter sun. Easter is traditionally the time when the travel brochures come out and the family discusses the various destinations.

No prizes for guessng that Thailand won't be in the top 10 in 2010.

Some have asked about the effect this will have on Tourism to Thailand. As a Tour Operator who brings groups to Thailand (and the rest of the world) I can only say this. Most people book long haul travel 6 - 8 months in advance.

Last year when the airport was occupied all tourists coming for the high season had already paid for their trips. Hence very few actually cancelled. Numbers were down in Thailand no more than they were in the rest of the world. Recession has caused the huge drop in Tourism numbers.

However this weekend's events are a very different matter. People all over the world are now deciding where to get their winter sun. Easter is traditionally the time when the travel brochures come out and the family discusses the various destinations.

No prizes for guessng that Thailand won't be in the top 10 in 2010.

Add on the loss of overseas investment and the loss of all those exports and Thailand is going to be hit really hard and the poor of course will come off worse although they wont be alone.

Reporters move away from rally site at Government House following threats by protesters

Reporters covering the demonstration at Government House moved away after red-shirted leaders threatened to harm them for unbiased reports.

The red-shirted leaders said reporters were biased against the protesters so the leaders would not guarantee the safety of the newsmen.

The reporters moved away at 8:54 am.

Earlier, reporters at the Royal Plaza moved to Parliament at 7:30 am after protesters said they would not guaranteed the newsmen's safety.

The Nation

http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/3...-at-Government-

>>>

Despite obvious Englsh mistakes, here's another glimpse of what to come if this "democratic" revolution succeeds - the media are frist against the wall, an we are all for re-education camps,

The Nation is well known for being highly biased towards big business and the Yellow Shirts. I honestly don't know how much of this you can believe. As I have just posted on a different thread, I was there taking photos and video last night. Although I was frisked on entry, I was warmly welcomed and encouraged to take photos wherever I went. I explained that I was not a reporter, but would send anything newsworthy to the foreign press or post to the Internet. ** For the record, I was NOT wearing red. **

I have absolutely no reason to doubt that reds have told some reporters to get lost for being biased against them. I have no reason to belive that Nation made that story up.

Reds probably have a long list, starting with Manager and all the way down to Bangkok Post and the Nation. According to reds, the whole country is on elite payroll. It doesn't occure to them that they should respect the views of the whole country, but, being red revolutionaries, what do you expect from them but purges of everything non-red. We are about to do a great Thai leap, get strapped.

Funny is the YELLOWS pulled the same tatics against media and TV stations, and during that time it was "ok" by you.... now its not?

I can't believe what you spew on this forum, does your sense of right and wrong really change depending on what color shirt a person wears when commiting the RIGHT/WRONG action?

Below, current article from The Nation.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/04/13...on_30100377.php

Right now, military is reportedly asking Abhisit what to do. They say they can't do anymore if they are to remain lenient. Abhisit is in a tough situation. If he says end it, the military will, killing many. If he says stay lenient, the Reds will continue to take over all of Bangkok, hurting people as they go.

It is decision time.

Tough call for abhisit i'm sure he does not want to take any action that hurts or kill people but it seems the red shirt are giving him no choice in the matter. Why are the red shirts always so violent? IIRC they have never really been a peaceful group, right from the start of the movement they were violent attacking PAD demonstrators back when his squareness was still in power.

by now with the LPG trucks in any normal country, the army would get the order to shoot at sight to prevent hundreds or thousands of deads, that's a terrorist attack.

Its not a terrorist attack until the REDS blow up a LPG truck. Simply driving or parking an LPG truck no matter how stupid, or dangerous it is does not make it a terrorist act.

Don't get me wrong I think its foolish and they should be stopped, but until they use the trucks as an explosion its not "terrorsit"...

Its not a terrorist attack until the REDS blow up a LPG truck. Simply driving or parking an LPG truck no matter how stupid, or dangerous it is does not make it a terrorist act.

Don't get me wrong I think its foolish and they should be stopped, but until they use the trucks as an explosion its not "terrorsit"...

you for real?

Quick web definition of the word terrorism which I and most sensible people probably agree with:

S: (n) terrorism, act of terrorism, terrorist act (the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear)

Edited by namoo

(Its not a terrorist attack until the REDS blow up a LPG truck. Simply driving or parking an LPG truck no matter how stupid, or dangerous it is does not make it a terrorist act.)

Following your logic

Placing a bomb that may or may not go off in the middle of MBK Centre is not a terroris action until it goes off

and you want to be taken seriously

Anyone who believes that Abhisit has any say in the matter of when the military strikes or doesn't strike has not been in Thailand for very long.

Truer words were never spoke.

Sorry, but it shows a complete misunderstanding of the situation.

It all boils down to waiting until a politician makes the only decision available, and authorizes the military to shoot people. Then, the fallout will be on the hands of the politicians not the military. The military were quick to protect the Palace and now can sit back and wait for political decisions to be made about the rest of us.

Understanding the above has little to do with how long someone has been in Thailand. It is irrelevant, but if you want to delude yourselves into thinking it is relevant, up to you.

Latest updates: Some blood Red blood was spilled overnight in their attempts to take over Bangkok. Where is Thaksin?

10.11: Fire bomb allegedly thrown at and set fire to a traffic police booth near Transport Ministry on Ratchadamnern Nok Road

10.20: Red-shirts have once again occupied the Victory Monument

10.40: Democrats evacuated headquarters in response to threats by red-shirts to torch the compound with gas tankers

10.41: Pattaya police reveals red-shirt leader Arisman Pongruengrong is still under the custody of the Pattaya court

11.19: 50 red-shirt protesters gather in front of Rajavithee Hospital to demand the authorities release the bodies of protesters who have allegedly died during military dispersal of protesters

It all boils down to waiting until a politician makes the only decision available, and authorizes the military to shoot people.

In any demonstration, regardless of whom the protesters are, when negotiation fails water cannon needs to be employed, followed if necessary by rubber bullets. This seems to work effectively in most democratic countries.

Anyone who believes that Abhisit has any say in the matter of when the military strikes or doesn't strike has not been in Thailand for very long.

It all boils down to waiting until a politician makes the only decision available, and authorizes the military to shoot people. Then, the fallout will be on the hands of the politicians not the military. The military were quick to protect the Palace and now can sit back and wait for political decisions to be made about the rest of us.

Understanding the above has little to do with how long someone has been in Thailand. It is irrelevant, but if you want to delude yourselves into thinking it is relevant, up to you.

I agree, but I don't understand the waiting. LPG trucks would be reason enough to give green light to do whatever necessary to stop it, or?

The reds were shot by M16 at Din Daeng this morning. Photos can be seen here:

http://www.newskythailand.com/board/index....7;topicseen#new

I am not bloody surprised. I think in view of the way the reds have been seen in the media the last few days, they have it coming to them. And where is your revolutionary leader????????? Still sipping cocktails in Dubai.

Yes someone has to make the decision .....

But the point made was ... it's probably not Abisit.

---------------------------------------

QUOTE (qualtrough @ 2009-04-13 11:19:11)

QUOTE (jumnien @ 2009-04-13 11:08:36)

Edited by rogerdee123

Patience is a virtue, but my advice to Kn Abhisit would be enough is enough.

You have shown great patience with the red shirt protesters, much more than I would have accepted, were it my choice to make.

But it has become apparent that the red shirts are no longer protesting, they have become a riotous mob, bent on destruction and voilence. As our PM I would say now is the time for you to exerise a stronger side. I am sure millions of Thais , all over the country have seen pictures on TV, not needing any commentary, and themselves viewing the violence of the Redshirt MOB. Time to put the hammer down.

Talking will never silence or pacifiy this mob and/or its behavior. I do not condone killing as a cure and all efforts should be taken not to take lives, but you are now in a position, Mr Abhisit, that you must control the government.

Another point is that whatever charges are most appropiate must be made against their leader, the "SCUM DGG BILLIONAIRE' Thaksin for daily and most recently yesterday, inciting the redshirts to further lawlessness and rioting, now causing death. This is most assuredly against even some Thai Law. I would think that attempting to overthrow the proper government is a treasonous act, and should be punishable , if in a state of martial law, by death by firing squad.

Now to those on this forum, and I mean those with the adoloscent mindset of , " well he did this so why can't I" , give up that bone already. Stop acting like Lemmings. So you think someone did wrong before, well that gives you no right to do wrong again. Its really simple..... Live today, work on todays problems and not use the lemming excuse that " Joey did it so why can't I. Grow up...... If the yellow shirts did something wrong , extoll your government do do something about filing an action and or charges against the wrong doer.... Acting like a 10 year old moron does not help the situation now.

.... and before someone jumps on the above statement and sez why doesen't the govt then file some charges against the yellow shirts, well they have, only you who object would never say that , that was sufficient nor could it ever be for your satisfaction.....

cuz you don't see things like the Morrison case against Thaksin now going on for close to 20 years...... courts do not move fast.

Lemmings , Live today, and learn from history, not relive it.....

JMHO now blaze away lemmings

Edited by Gonzo the Face

by now with the LPG trucks in any normal country, the army would get the order to shoot at sight to prevent hundreds or thousands of deads, that's a terrorist attack.

You can not possibly be serious!!! Using your "logic" I guess it's ok to take bombs on aircraft, because it's not a terrorist act until the bombs goes off... DUH! :o

The government can still calm the situation by dissolving the house. Instead it seems they chose 1992 reloaded. Congratulations Thailand, you now have a potential black april.

The two situations are sooo different. Please try and examine your history a bit before posting, it is rather embarrassing actually.

The reds Insurgents were shot by M16 at Din Daeng this morning. Photos can be seen here:

Fixed that for you, please remember that the UDD is now an insurgent force leading an insurrection. They are not civilians anymore, by their own choice i might add

Abisit speaking on all tv channels now..Also no reds have been shot ..They were hurt by their own explosion...I do not know if thats true or not..But where is the hero toxin? Thought he said he was comming back if the army were to clear the reds out!

Yes someone has to make the decision .....

But the point made was ... it's probably not Abisit.

The point I am making is that neither the military nor the one you refer to want to mix in politics. Better to have the politicians make the decision and wait until that is the only decision they can make. Think about it.

QUOTE (qualtrough @ 2009-04-13 11:19:11)

QUOTE (jumnien @ 2009-04-13 11:08:36)

The reds Insurgents were shot by M16 at Din Daeng this morning. Photos can be seen here:

Fixed that for you, please remember that the UDD is now an insurgent force leading an insurrection. They are not civilians anymore, by their own choice i might add

Abisit speaking on all tv channels now..Also no reds have been shot ..They were hurt by their own explosion...I do not know if thats true or not..But where is the hero toxin? Thought he said he was comming back if the army were to clear the reds out!

We all say a lot of things we don't mean when we are drunk.

Ok anybody in the tourist areas that can report whats happing ?

Kao San, Asoke, Chitlom Nana

any idea what the hotels are saying to the tourists

Thanks colino

Chidlom is as quiet as a quiet thing being quiet.

Central Dept Store is open. As is the BTS.

Sorry

Central Dept Store is CLOSED.

You can not possibly be serious!!! Using your "logic" I guess it's ok to take bombs on aircraft, because it's not a terrorist act until the bombs goes off... DUH! :o

quiet right BigBike. It goes even further than that, according to this acticle in the nation:

Protesters seized a cooking gas tank and placed it in front of the Din Daeng flats and threatened to blow it if the troops advance to disperse them.

They also released some gas as warning.

Some residents of the flats have moved out for fear of fire and explosion.

The Nation

The insurgents are actually threating to blow it up and have released gas to prove that they are serious. That pretty much shows intent doesn't it?