First Time Trip To Samui.

Hello guys. I'm not sure if I am posting on the correct sub forum. But any help will do. My partner and I are spending 5 days in Samui next week. I have never been there and I have no clue on how to manage my way to the island. I did a lot of researching online and finding out on how to get to Koh Samui. But I am still not confident on all the information that i've gathered. Anyways, I will be flying to Surat Thani via 12go and land there around 14:20. This is where my problem starts.

1. I read online, that I need to go to Donsak Pier for the ferry to Nahtorn Pier on Samui. I am not sure, if I need to go to Surat Thani town to get a bus ticket to Donsak or I can get it at the airport?

2. If I am on Nathorn Pier, what the cheapest way to Chaweng Beach?

3. If everything works well on my way to Samui, will it work the same going back to Surat Thani Airport?

My apologies for being so clueless, I really don't have any idea what to do. I've read awful stories about tourist having been ripped-off or had a difficult time going to Samui. And as much as possible, I don't want to spend my holiday worried about all of these. I know that there are a lot of expats here in this forum that are living in the island, and I hope you can help me find my way safe and sound to Samui.

All your suggestions and advices are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Buki :o

Edited by Buki

from the airport you should be able to share a minibus to donsak which will take you to donsak pier.the cost of the ferry to nathon on samui is 150baht.once you arrive at nathon the same applies,share a minibus to chaweng same cost 150 baht.Hope you have a good time here.

from the airport you should be able to share a minibus to donsak which will take you to donsak pier.the cost of the ferry to nathon on samui is 150baht.once you arrive at nathon the same applies,share a minibus to chaweng same cost 150 baht.Hope you have a good time here.

Thank you for the quick reply. It's quite similar to Phuket, you get to share a minibus for 150 and they drop you off at your hotel.

When going home, from Chaweng to Nathorn, is there a minibus that is similar going to Chaweng?

Buki

1. I read online, that I need to go to Donsak Pier for the ferry to Nahtorn Pier on Samui. I am not sure, if I need to go to Surat Thani town to get a bus ticket to Donsak or I can get it at the airport?

Not 100% on this, as this is a bit of an odd route. Anyway, there are a lot of the busses from Surat Thani train station (outside in the car parking area) that go regularly to Samui. I would probably approach it this way. A ticket from BKK inclusive of ferry is about 700-800 baht, so this is a good measure of estimate for any other fares.

Ask at the airport. Thailand is amazingly good at transport. Ask for a ticket for Samui. You may only get a bus ride to Donsak ferry pier in which case you will need to buy your own ferry tickets on arrival - think its about 150 baht? cant remember :S If the fare is too much, get a songtaw to surat thani train station and get a bus from there. There are tour operators opposite the train station next to the cafes.

Get a Songtaw. They all (should do anyway) display fare charts, which are per person. Nathon to Chaweng is about 80 baht i think ... If you just want to get there, get a Taxi, but expect to pay 300-500 baht even after haggling.

3. If everything works well on my way to Samui, will it work the same going back to Surat Thani Airport?

Nothing is for sure in Amazing Thailand, but that's all part of the charm :o As i pointed out before, travel is something Thailand does very well, so I wouldn't worry.

Not 100% on this, as this is a bit of an odd route. Anyway, there are a lot of the busses from Surat Thani train station (outside in the car parking area) that go regularly to Samui. I would probably approach it this way. A ticket from BKK inclusive of ferry is about 700-800 baht, so this is a good measure of estimate for any other fares.

Ask at the airport. Thailand is amazingly good at transport. Ask for a ticket for Samui. You may only get a bus ride to Donsak ferry pier in which case you will need to buy your own ferry tickets on arrival - think its about 150 baht? cant remember :S If the fare is too much, get a songtaw to surat thani train station and get a bus from there. There are tour operators opposite the train station next to the cafes.

Get a Songtaw. They all (should do anyway) display fare charts, which are per person. Nathon to Chaweng is about 80 baht i think ... If you just want to get there, get a Taxi, but expect to pay 300-500 baht even after haggling.

Nothing is for sure in Amazing Thailand, but that's all part of the charm :o As i pointed out before, travel is something Thailand does very well, so I wouldn't worry.

Thank you for your advices. I will start planning around them. thanks again. :D

Buki

The combined ticket bus/ferry from Suratthani airport to Nathon pier costs 300 Baht, you can easily buy the ticket upon arrival. And if you don't mind your ride to be a bit uncomfortable, you can take a Songthew (collect/share taxis) from Nathon to Chaweng for 60 Baht (until 6 PM, then more).

So you are flying into Suratthani, not Samui itself? Why not fly directly to Samui? Cost? It's a bit cheaper with the former method but the hassle factor and time increase.

Much, much less hassle & much more time friendly too..

Plus BA have Promotions on most of the time if you're flexible with your flying times..

For a few days it is going to be very expensive...flights and taxis to and from Samui is like being robbed at gunpoint everytime...so very very expensive and a rip off. No doubt it will rain while you are there but at least that keeps the timeshare mob off your back but all said and done you can at least go and have a macdonalds or burger king to get that real Thai Samui experience :o .....

Edited by pothai

For a few days it is going to be very expensive...flights and taxis to and from Samui is like being robbed at gunpoint everytime...so very very expensive and a rip off. No doubt it will rain while you are there but at least that keeps the timeshare mob off your back but all said and done you can at least go and have a macdonalds or burger king to get that real Thai Samui experience :o .....

So i take it you dont like Samui :D one of the bar girls give you a bad time?

So you are flying into Suratthani, not Samui itself? Why not fly directly to Samui? Cost? It's a bit cheaper with the former method but the hassle factor and time increase.

Around 6000 baht to Samui or 1,200 baht to Surat Thani may be the answer. Flying direct to Samui is a rip off. :o

So i take it you dont like Samui :D one of the bar girls give you a bad time?

I am a lady......and live befor Samui...