Do You Have Confidence In Pm Abhisit's Ability To Lead This Country Out Of Crisis?

thailandlover

Do you have confidence in PM Abhisit's abilities?   

223 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Given the latest crisis, do you have confidence in Abhisit's abilities to lead this country out of the current crisis?

Abhisit is not his own man - the guy is a front man for old gaurd conservatives (some of them very old hands in Thai politics, and some of them with quite a bit of blood on their hands). So keep that in mind. He plays their tune (although I give him credit for resisting their calls to deal more agressively and much earlier with the Redshirts) - and as long as he continues to play it the way they like it, they'll keep him as PM.

Yes - I have confidence in the whole political structure that Abhisit is representing: he's a bright guy, and as many will be aware the son of 2 Uk based medics - he grew up and was educated in the West, he comes onto the political stage with an undertsanding and view of the West that Thailand has so often lacked in the past in its foreign policy.

Of all the options on the table currently he has to be one of the best choices to handle things - and so far so good - the Redshirts are now on their way home with tails between legs - a weak political force calling for a spent political leader to be re-investured ( not likely....).

I wish him all the best.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the latest crisis, do you have confidence in Abhisit's abilities to lead this country out of the current crisis?

Having just watched his TV Broadcast, with his way of tackling the present problem and his attitude now, you can't fail to be impressed. He has got a better chance than most, good luck to him. Yes someone did error at Pattaya.

<< Do You Have Confidence In Pm Abhisit's Ability To Lead This Country Out Of Crisis?

I believe Abhisit has his heart and ambitions for Thailand in the right place. But we've all seen how quickly politicians in this country can change sides, so who are we to say what the future holds for him? Thailand has turns and roundabouts, so if he's lucky, he'll pull it off. If not, then no.

And if no, then what a pity because I do believe he should be given a decent chance to get his policies solidly in place.

The only PM in the world to order soldiers to fire M16's at his own people.

Well done PM you are a hero! :o

anyone notice the praise being heaped on Obama for taking the action to free the US captain taken hostage by pirates?

i mean what a great job they did.

yes i really mean that, but in doing that job, 4 pirates out of the 5 were killed to free one hostage

Abhisit frees 9 million people in Bangkok from the tyrannical grip of 100,000 revolutionarys and kills no one

for this he is vilified ?

i can't be bothered to work out the math in % dead to people freed but if one only counts the bodies, it sounds to me like Abhisit did a better job to me and should be congratulated.

both were considered soft before their respective crisis' put them to the test

both came out to be consider stronger as a result

for me congrats to both parties but for me Abhisit took the day.

I dont have a number.....but I'm sure they are interested in help.

i don't think so, Abhisit is riding the tide of approval for the least bloodless crushing of a revolution in modern history

even the G20 in London had one death directly attributed to the authorites (RIP to that man)

they don't need any help now, this mornings approval polls speak for themselves

Abhisit does not have the full support of the military, witness red shirts ease in breaking up the Asean Summit.

Some top military commanders are relatives of Taksin.

"Some top military commanders are relatives of Taksin"

Not to my knowledge. Even his ( Taksin) ex-friends do not hold high office in the military, though they retain their rank.

The support Abhisit has or has not is a different matter. Nothing to do with friends

Two times in the recent month, Abhi lost complete credibility:

- By failing to prosecute the PAD leaders, even inviting them to his government, Abhi legitimized mob violence and is directly responsible for what's going on today.

- By failing to recognize the threat of the red shirts and insisting, for his own prestige, in hosting the ASEAN summit, he is directly responsible for the huge lost of face Thailand suffered when this summit was cancelled. As an Asean dignitary said "We have nothing to fear, they are only here to humiliate the Thai government" and, with the help of Abhi, they succeeded !

Finally, by ordering the army to shoot unarmed civilians, Thailand may eventually get the reputation it has avoided until now, of a bloody dictatorial regime.

Where Samak and Somchai failed with dignity, Abhi may also failed but this time taking Thailand with him in his fall.

Any bodies to show us? Can't seem to find any. Conspiracy Theorists of the world unite!

I don't fully agree with Pierrot but maybe making a more constructive post may have been helpful. Requires the engagement of thought processes of course.

There is this proverb about the Country of blind and the One-Eyed.

Sadly reminds me of the current situation. Yes, Abhisit has in my eyes the highest potential to get things back to normal. Or let me say the least lowest of the bunch.

I voted yes.

I hope this was not meant as disrespect.

I have more sympathy for the reds than the yellows, but there is no way that they will be allowed to "win" this thing against the Army, the very wealthy and the most important institution in the country.

We better hope and pray that Abhisit can come to an agreement with Thaksin and the reds, or Thailand -and everyone who lives here - might have some VERY bad days ahead. Personally, I wish Abhisit the best of luck as he seems to be a good man in a very unfortunate position. :o

Day dreaming again ? agreement with a convicted fugitive who has just showed the international

media what kind of an ass he really is ?

Dream on ......

I'm not on either side; but the international media have not been critical of Taksin. Perhaps ypu could paste the media comments criticising him.

"....Abhisit frees 9 million people in Bangkok from the tyrannical grip of 100,000 revolutionarys and kills no one..."

WOW! Are you on his PR team?

Probably not, but what a great way to get a work permit. Post pro-govt propaganda on thaivisa and get fast tracked..

The comments in this thread don't seem to colerate with the voting result

colerate?!?hmmm...

Are you counting the posts or the posters? :o IMHO,this government has been quite fair in dealing with the " protesters"(euphemism)It could have been a huge bloodshed with somebody else as PM.It's a nonsense to ask for a fair Democracy and acting like terrorists btw.

I have more sympathy for the reds than the yellows, but there is no way that they will be allowed to "win" this thing against the Army, the very wealthy and the most important institution in the country.

We better hope and pray that Abhisit can come to an agreement with Thaksin and the reds, or Thailand -and everyone who lives here - might have some VERY bad days ahead. Personally, I wish Abhisit the best of luck as he seems to be a good man in a very unfortunate position. :o

Day dreaming again ? agreement with a convicted fugitive who has just showed the international

media what kind of an ass he really is ?

Dream on ......

I'm not on either side; but the international media have not been critical of Taksin. Perhaps ypu could paste the media comments criticising him.

i can't be bothered to look and help you with the task of trying to support Thaksin in his hour of need but i have today read scathing reports about his behaviour in the times, the guardian and locally the Nation

most of the accounts are posted on here somewhere

again, (now how shall i put this)..do some research before you open your mouth you might be respected more.......

he is fast running out of friends .

maybe you should send him a donation?

"....Abhisit frees 9 million people in Bangkok from the tyrannical grip of 100,000 revolutionarys and kills no one..."

WOW! Are you on his PR team?

Probably not, but what a great way to get a work permit. Post pro-govt propaganda on thaivisa and get fast tracked..

i have a work permit in the financial sector and yes i do have a vested interest in the way Thailand progresses and yes i am biased towards a stable country to do business in with a westernised leader at the helm.

There is this proverb about the Country of blind and the One-Eyed.

Sadly reminds me of the current situation. Yes, Abhisit has in my eyes the highest potential to get things back to normal. Or let me say the least lowest of the bunch.

I voted yes.

I hope this was not meant as disrespect.

wot you mean caff?

you havin' a laff?

your havin' a larf aren't ya

Two times in the recent month, Abhi lost complete credibility:

- By failing to prosecute the PAD leaders, even inviting them to his government, Abhi legitimized mob violence and is directly responsible for what's going on today.

- By failing to recognize the threat of the red shirts and insisting, for his own prestige, in hosting the ASEAN summit, he is directly responsible for the huge lost of face Thailand suffered when this summit was cancelled. As an Asean dignitary said "We have nothing to fear, they are only here to humiliate the Thai government" and, with the help of Abhi, they succeeded !

Finally, by ordering the army to shoot unarmed civilians, Thailand may eventually get the reputation it has avoided until now, of a bloody dictatorial regime.

Where Samak and Somchai failed with dignity, Abhi may also failed but this time taking Thailand with him in his fall.

Any bodies to show us? Can't seem to find any. Conspiracy Theorists of the world unite!

I don't fully agree with Pierrot but maybe making a more constructive post may have been helpful. Requires the engagement of thought processes of course.

caff, you auditioning for a mods job?

we do not need your condescending advise as to how or what to post here

if you try to write something of value and i will see if i can use my new connections at the nation and give it a national airing

don't worry i have time to wait for it, no rush

you may recall my research is now on their website

maybe i should give you some clues on creative writing........

so until you produce something of note please keep your holier than though attitude to yourself

its not neccesary or deserved in your case

The comments in this thread don't seem to colerate with the voting result

about the creative writing tips i offered heres one #1

try to speel coorroctly

i think the word you were groping for is

correlate

Edited by blackman

QUOTE (NovaBlue05 @ 2009-04-15 14:51:49)

Wait til next week when the holidays are over......

some people never learn do they?

TiT....

i meant you not the reds, vainly hoping beyond hope that your dear leader will be returned to power instead of jail or in a box