Striped Snake

chiangmaiexpat

A new surprise guest in our garden just showed up unannounced. Maid almost panicked. Poodle keeps barking. Can anyone identify this snake? (see attached images)

Cheers, CM

P.S.: Forgot to mention. That's Malay grass the snake is moving through. Sp obviously it's rather small, 50-60 cm long perhaps with a small head.

post-61719-1239619219_thumb.jpg

post-61719-1239619231_thumb.jpg

post-61719-1239619244_thumb.jpg

Edited by chiangmaiexpat

Good on you Goshawk.

Seems that challenge was a bit too easy.

How about this one.

489141273_dQFsg-M.jpg

Found him whilst I was off roading on my way into Mae Hong Son.

An absolutely stunning green with white diagonal striping. His body was thin (not flat bottomed) and flowing about four feet long, making me think it spends most of the time in tree's. Most snakes I've come across over here, including Krates and Cobras prefer to be left alone and scamper out of the way when approached. This guy threw me a curve and was holding his ground and would not move out of the way.

Lovely to see this guy but I don't know what type it is. Anyone???

Edited by FTB

Nice pictures, what ever it is just give it a wide wide BERTH it will move on, it do not like you, your dog, the maid, just trying to find a nice fat old rat to swallow. In the sprit of the Songkran Holiday throw some cold water on it and it will go away quickly. :D:o

it's a Buff Striped Keelback (Amphiesma stolatum)

look here

edit: nice pics btw, hope you didn't harm it..

Thanks to Goshawk for correctly identifying another wildlife species. The Buff striped Keelback looks remarkably similar to our Garter snakes we have in BC. Here is one that was coiled up on my veranda in the sun.

Garter_snake_4_Em.sized.jpg

He wasn't as aggressive as this guy I saw crossing the road last summer.

rattler1.jpg

rattler2.sized.jpg

Or this common spectacle cobra in Thailand.

Cobra_017.sized.jpg

can anyone identify this snake on this post. can't seem to copy the image.

Snake Thread post #21

and on This Picture too.

Sunbeam Snake (Xenopeltis unicolor)

unfortunately not showing off its iridescent scales in those pics.. strong natural light needed for that trick..

Thank you very much Goshawk. totally harmless it seems. Feel good about leaving it on its own and not hurting it. (had the intention to since I have young kids at home).

A new surprise guest in our garden just showed up unannounced. Maid almost panicked. Poodle keeps barking. Can anyone identify this snake? (see attached images)

Cheers, CM

P.S.: Forgot to mention. That's Malay grass the snake is moving through. Sp obviously it's rather small, 50-60 cm long perhaps with a small head.

I was fishing today when the same snake as the op is showing came up to my feet. When I looked down he looked up and we both jumped. I know it's harmless but it was rude of him to sneak up on me like that.

Good on you Goshawk.

How about this one.

489141273_dQFsg-M.jpg

An absolutely stunning green with white diagonal striping. His body was thin (not flat bottomed) and flowing about four feet long, making me think it spends most of the time in tree's. Most snakes I've come across over here, including Krates and Cobras prefer to be left alone and scamper out of the way when approached. This guy threw me a curve and was holding his ground and would not move out of the way.

I saw one of those at a snake farm near Krabi. The snake handler called it a "Jumping snake", but unfortunately, I have no idea of what it's scientific name is. Although it was aggressive I was told it's not poisonous. The snake handler would tease it and it WOULD jump it's own distance when striking. The handler got nipped several times. It was quite an attractive snake with the front section a different colour than the back half. One noticeable thing was the snake would flatten the front quarter of its body (side to side rather than top to bottom like a cobra) when aroused.

I saw one of those at a snake farm near Krabi. The snake handler called it a "Jumping snake", but unfortunately, I have no idea of what it's scientific name is.

what you probably saw was a Copperhead Racer elaphe radiata (very common in thai snake shows) belongs to the same family as the Red-tailed

Good on you Goshawk.

How about this one.

489141273_dQFsg-M.jpg

Wow! beautiful looking specimen, I only just moved to Chiang Mai and have been trekking alone on Doi Suthep mountain area and am amazed how many snakes I seen, ( actually so was my ex husband amazed at how many snakes I have seen, hehe) but in all seriousness you must have been terrified by your photo it looks like you are inches away?or did you use a telescopic zoom?