Confirmation Of 500 Baht A Day For Redshirts

Richard W

* Humour of it is a bit lost on me, but the double take after a mention of 500 baht cash in one of Thaksin's video phone-in's before it all hit the fan is a subject of a few laughs. Here's a

Well, what were the exact words and what should he have said? Or what does it refer to if not payment for demonstrating etc.? To me Thaksin's words sound like

ไม่ต้องไปเข้าแถวรอรับห้าร้อยบาท

You guys will not have to line up for 500 baht.

Incidentally, does any one know whether the recording is genuine? I'm sure it could have been faked. And we Brits should remember that Maggie Thatcher once referred to the community charge as the poll tax.

Edited by Richard W

* Humour of it is a bit lost on me, but the double take after a mention of 500 baht cash in one of Thaksin's video phone-in's before it all hit the fan is a subject of a few laughs. Here's a

Well, what were the exact words and what should he have said? Or what does it refer to if not payment for demonstrating etc.? To me Thaksin's words sound like

Incidentally, does any one know whether the recording is genuine? I'm sure it could have been faked. And we Brits should remember that Maggie Thatcher once referred to the community charge as the poll tax.

I suspect that Thaksin is referring to one of the elements of the current government's anti-recession program which sends varying amounts of assistance funds to, for example, the poor, the elderly, and government employees. He is likely saying that if he were in power, there would not be a need for these supplemental distributions because he could solve the underlying economic dislocations.

Although, I have to admit, it does appear from the video appearing in The Nation, that he might have been imbibing a bit from the old hip flask.

Edited by DavidHouston

I suspect that Thaksin is referring to one of the elements of the current government's anti-recession program which sends varying amounts of assistance funds to, for example, the poor, the elderly, and government employees. He is likely saying that if he were in power, there would not be a need for these supplemental distributions because he could solve the underlying economic dislocations.

From another reply in the original thread, it does indeed appear to be the payment to the elderly. So, perhaps,

I won't need to queue for my 500 baht.

or

I'd better not queue for my 500 baht.

Yeah, I think it's a little ambiguous for people to be interpreting like they are. The government just got done handing out 2000 baht, which people queued for. Personally, I've never heard people talk about queuing for payment as protesters -- they always talk about the money being in your lunchbox. i.e. the protesters are given lunch, and the money is hidden in there.

I think anti-Thaksinites are making a mountain out of a nonexistent molehill.

I'm still not sure why he seems so thrown for a loop after someone says something from off screen -- maybe he didn't mean it that way but even the person off screen thought he did? Anyway, he did appear rather drunk.

I think he was referring to the cheques handed out by the government

Somluck, then you know for sure that this is a current government assistance program for the elderly where each get THB 500? Is it once per month? Did Thaksin's government and incarnates also have a similar program for the elderly?

I'm still not sure why he seems so thrown for a loop after someone says something from off screen -- maybe he didn't mean it that way but even the person off screen thought he did? Anyway, he did appear rather drunk.

Again, his pause is liable to be misunderstood if you see this clip out of context. Having watched quite a few of the phone-ins, I've seen him stop and regather himself time and time again. He gets to the end of one point he was planning to make, then somewhat awkwardly checks his notes or reshuffles his papers before moving onto the next one. Other times he appears distracted by audio issues. You get the sense that the audio link coming from Thailand is of poor quality. Indeed, the onstage hosts have explained the same to the crowds from time to time.

Could it be he was referring to the 500B the "yellow shirts" got paid for demonstrating last year? Meaning for this demonstration you (the Red shirts) do not need to line up and will not get paid.

How easy words are taken out if context in the heat of battle. Doesn't change my opinion of him. In any other country, instigating the over throw of a government is "Treason" isn't it?.

Let's avoid getting too political on the language forum. Please keep comments relevant to the linguistic matters at hand, and if there's nothing more to be said language-wise, head to the news forums to discuss the matter further. Thanks :o

Again, his pause is liable to be misunderstood if you see this clip out of context. Having watched quite a few of the phone-ins, I've seen him stop and regather himself time and time again. He gets to the end of one point he was planning to make, then somewhat awkwardly checks his notes or reshuffles his papers before moving onto the next one. Other times he appears distracted by audio issues. You get the sense that the audio link coming from Thailand is of poor quality. Indeed, the onstage hosts have explained the same to the crowds from time to time.

That makes good sense -- I've mainly only listened to his phone-ins, and not many of them at that. Thanks for the plausible explanation. :o

He is saying if he were the leader they wouldn't need paltry 500 Baht hand outs of which they must wait in line for since if he were the leader the economy would be strong. It has nothing to do with being paid to protest.

He is saying if he were the leader they wouldn't need paltry 500 Baht hand outs of which they must wait in line for since if he were the leader the economy would be strong. It has nothing to do with being paid to protest.

That makes perfect sense. Very much like English where it's easy to take the spoken word out of context when it is not your first language.

That makes perfect sense. Very much like English where it's easy to take the spoken word out of context when it is not your first language.

hel_l, its easy enough to misunderstand a statement or its intended meaning, in English when your native tongue is English

i've watched the video a few times, i understand/speak thai very well and i understand/speak english very well also... this clip doesn't really have anything to do with "hiring" and very much so is talking about some kind of benefit.

i agree with others, it's blown way out of proportion.