Central Bangkok A War Zone

george

When you take a step back from all this you realise that there was actually no need for the red shirts to protest at this time.

The future looks bright for the red shirts / Issan people as all politicians now realize that they have to take care of their interests in order to ensure their votes in future elections. The Abhisit government realized this (the 2,000 baht hand out as evidence) and basically knew that they had 3 years to win them over. That is probably not going to happen now so all the red shirts / Issan people have to so is sit it out and vote for party of their choice in the next general election and they will more than likely gain power.

30% of the nation's population reside in the Issan region so whichever party they vote for en-masse in the next general election will form the government. Further evidence of this fact is evidence by the PAD/Democrat guy who said that not every Issan person should be allowed to vote because they are "under-educated".

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These events were engineered by Taksin who must have bribed instigators to cause a riot (he conveniently got his family out of Thailand before the real trouble started) He must now be labelled as a terrorist and all countries (unless they support terrorism) should ban him from entering thier countries and help catch him. Bring him back here and charge him with inciting terrorism.

Wot???? Toxin made election promises to pay every village 1M Baht if he won... where was the downside? He wins, he takes the money the previous Govt had collected from the people - he gives it back (well not quite at the same ratio)... and the villages rejoiced as they spread the 1M Baht around so all got a payday and what did the poor people do with their money? Bought mobile phones - who owned the mobile phone carrier then? Toxin -- Duh.

So when you talk with any Govt delegate who accompanied Toxin on is vast travels with the peoples money, he did ONLY self promotion of Toxin and Toxin companies. Sweet FA on Thailand. My close friends and business associates in HIS Govt were ashamed and were happy to depart.

But you don't mention how he conned the North East poor people to lease their lands for p'nuts and then Toxin sold their leases for wood chips, to all his cronies, then used Australian Eucalyptus gum trees (grow 20' a year) and were able to plant and sell out the timber in 3 years. By using that species he poisoned the soil (check it out) by high acidity and now the farmer has his land and can't grow anything. Not even food. So suggest when someone cried enough lost Toxin on corruption, displayed and proven in constitutional courts, then further used a technical point to oust the next PM for being in a cooking show.... do you blame them? Thank God at least finally action was taken as the Red Shit party are puppets perceived and real.

Get your facts right - and now Toxin is paying back money he stole to the poor people of Thailand to take bullets and beatings. Yeah - Toxin REALY has Thailand as his focus. Greed is all he knows, he is also a sociopath of the highest order. Thailand right now has a chance with an incorruptible PM. Let it ride. If he screws up - vote him out - next election.

According to Johnathan Head BBC reporter he spoke to red leaders. They said "It's no longer worth fighting for. We are giving up and going home" Just now on BBC 11 o'clock news.

Seems it will soon be over. Hurray - hope I didn't cheer too soon

I hope they are not going home :o

They need to go to jail

The end of the all-too-messy demonstration is near.

Message from Bangkokians to Red Shirts: Go home.

Yes. Let's hope so, or if Bangkok is their home, let them go indoors.

I think that's the point. Bangkokians see Bangkok as representing Thailand. Clearly it doesn't. Most people go back to their home provinces during Songkran and the streets are deserted, indicating that most people are not Bangkokians in the sense that they were born in the city. A minority believe that they should have power and look after the welfare of the whole country. Unfortunately, while they look after their own interests, the poor outside Bangkok remain poor and that's the problem. Thai politics is something that happens in Bangkok to assist Bangkokians. Thaksin went some way to help the poor (mainly to help his own popularity it seems), but people outside Bangkok, the poor, see him as a politician that was showing some interest in their predicament.

What is needed is for any government in power to make the people outside Bangkok feel as though they are being listened to and to share some of the city's wealth. It would also help if Bangkokians didn't treat people in agricultural areas as being inferior to them. Once this bridge is built maybe the current merry-go-round of Thai politics will change and something resembling democracy might emerge. Let's hope

Good post frogz. About the only one that makes sense after wadding through a lot of the other partizan drivvle on here. Most Bangkokians (farang residents included) have not even been to most of the poor provinces - all they know outside of the immediate provinces surrounding Bangkok is Pattaya, Phuket and Hua Hin. How could they have any idea about the plight of the people in this country?

You suspect... and you are wrong with that !

So where does the real embarrasment lay, with Abhisit or Thaksin. In the eyes of world leaders and indead the world at large, Thaksin has once again proven that he cares for no one other than himself, and he is in fact Thailands biggest embarrasment and cause for embarrasment. Thaksin sits in a plush chair in a five star hotel pushing people to their deaths with false hope and promises. How can a man that loves the people he wishes to lead incite violence and bloodshed on the joyess occasion of Songkran and a time for celebration by the Thai people. He has shown the educated world that he has no love for the Kingdom, the King, or the Thai people. He should never be allowed to grace the world stage that Thailand sits upon. He should no longer be allowed to set foot into the beautiful country who's democracy he has set out to destroy. He has displayed nothing other than evil and contempt for his countrymen. He is inciting a poor and simple section of the community to take up weapons and have their blood spilt only for his political aspirations, an attempt to regain control of what would end up a dictatorship. One to only pad his pockets, wallet, and bank accounts. Abhisit is an educated man, an Obama style leader that has good intentions to take Thailand to the world as a wonderful tourist destination, a wonderful place to conduct business, and is determined to take Thailand to the next level where all of Thailand would benefit. He is a leader of vision, a young man with something to prove to the world, and he is prepared to do all he can to secure a better Thailand for all of Thailand and its people. He is determined to drag it out of the dark ages and proclaim Thailand as a destination of beauty, culture, friendliness and commerce. Thaksin, shame on you for choosing to incite people with your emotional blackmail. You have no care or respect for your contry, your King, or the Kings people. May a royal decree be drawn up that you are never allowed to step up onto Thailand stage again. Forever live in excile.

From Wikipedia

He entered politics in 1994 and founded the populist Thai Rak Thai (TRT) party in 1998. After a landslide election victory in 2001, he became prime minister, the country's first to serve a full term.[3] Thaksin introduced a range of partly effective and highly popular policies to alleviate rural poverty.[4][5] He launched the country's first universal healthcare program,[6] the 30-baht scheme, as well as drastic social order and drug suppression campaigns.[7]

So Wikipedia says this and you're sticking to your uneducated rant?

Lets just ignore truth and stick to ignorant factless prejudice.

There was a certain German leader who did alot of good things for Germany in the beggining, what will Wikipedia say in its next edition

when you google Thaksin. If this is your style of leadership, God bless you my friend!

Certainly added to your credibility with that one.

Message to the red shirts from an angry resident!

Leave us alone with your red B_S_

You are wrong!

Abhisit has earned RESPECT from the world for handling this red anarchy and violent booze stampede with utmost caution to avoid blood in the streets what you

want to see! Thailand is not the world. READ and WATCH what the world has to say! There's a world behind the Thai border!

You can be proud of your Fuhrer who was stuttering. lying and whining on TV last night.

Leave us alone with your red B_S_, we want peace!

I was amazed that the BBC took the time to interview the person who is intent on destroying peace in Thailand, it almost gave him some credibility however anyone with the slightest bit of intelligence would not believe a word he said.

Khun Abhisit has earned the respect of both the Thai people and the outside world in his handling of all matters since he became Prime Minister a short while ago. His job is not easy. Thailand should be proud to have a Prime Minister like Abhisit who is educated, caring and is determined to do the best he can for Thailand and all of its people and not simply for his own personal gain. It would be a terrible blow to the country if he were not given the chance to continue the good work that he has started.

I agree with all this, every word.

But life is rarely pure and never simple.Don't forget that Abhisit came to power in an opportunist way and on the back of powerful unelected and self serving elites.Thaksin had a genuine popular mandate, despite the tired mantra of the less clued up.Therein lies the dilemma, and one which Abhisit fully appreciates.

I think that's the point. Bangkokians see Bangkok as representing Thailand. Clearly it doesn't. Most people go back to their home provinces during Songkran and the streets are deserted, indicating that most people are not Bangkokians in the sense that they were born in the city. A minority believe that they should have power and look after the welfare of the whole country. Unfortunately, while they look after their own interests, the poor outside Bangkok remain poor and that's the problem. Thai politics is something that happens in Bangkok to assist Bangkokians. Thaksin went some way to help the poor (mainly to help his own popularity it seems), but people outside Bangkok, the poor, see him as a politician that was showing some interest in their predicament.

What is needed is for any government in power to make the people outside Bangkok feel as though they are being listened to and to share some of the city's wealth. It would also help if Bangkokians didn't treat people in agricultural areas as being inferior to them. Once this bridge is built maybe the current merry-go-round of Thai politics will change and something resembling democracy might emerge. Let's hope

Good post frogz. About the only one that makes sense after wadding through a lot of the other partizan drivvle on here. Most Bangkokians (farang residents included) have not even been to most of the poor provinces - all they know outside of the immediate provinces surrounding Bangkok is Pattaya, Phuket and Hua Hin. How could they have any idea about the plight of the people in this country?

You suspect... and you are wrong with that !

I live here mate and I talk to people in both pasa Thai and English every day. I don't suspect, I know. Oh, sorry, I missed Chiang Mai, Chokchai farm and Erawan waterfall! Do a little survey and find out how many of the 76 provinces here people have visited. Or go and stay in a village in Tak where the people are indigenous Thai (not immigrants) and don't even speak the Thai language and are sustained by independent welfare support as they are so neglected by the government. A far cry from the fat self-satisfied Thais (Chinese...) who make up most of the PAD elite in Bangkok...

It is unbeliveable that some "senior" posters still don't understand parliamentary democracy.

TRT and its later incarnations never won more than 50% of the poplar vote, regardless of whether it was the biggest turnout in Thai history. They had to form a coalition in the normal way through bribes (whether financial of influential) to minority parties.

When Newin's lot deserted TRT (PPP, PT) they no longer formed the majority in parliament. Abhisit was able to group together a coalition hence he became prime minister. He was legally elected as was everyone else in parliament.

Abhisit's government is for the moment the only legitimate power in Thailand. Should he lose the support of his coalition members then someone else will try and form a government, if they fail there will be fresh elections.

As for the million baht loans that Thaksin so generously gave to the villages most of the money was commandeered by village elders and the poor who took the loans are now being forced to pay it back at extortionate rates of interest. How do I know? Because my maid has to pa 9,000 Baht every six months. Interest free?

Sorry I only have a few posts, having lived here on and off for 18 years I obviously shouldn't comment. Luckily Newbie seems to have grasped the situation better than some "senior" members. Perhaps he has been here for 18 years as well.

Happy songkran

Seems like the moment us foreginers have sympathy and lean towards yellow thinking - yellow lose that sympathy by protesting with the airport episode. So we then have to look at the other side who loose all creditability following the current protests.

Really is quite infantile polotics from a young democracy. But this is the way things have been done and will continue to be done for some time. TIT

Taksin, the big lair

On BBC, He denied to be a person behind the protesting

BBC : Are you the man behind what we are seeing ? Are you orchestrating…. almost daily contact with your video links to your supporters?

Thaksin: yes ….no I would like to give them moral support …. I never I never I never instigating them… I want them to fight to get true democracy………….The poor cannot get help … .during my administration………..the poor feel like you know the democracy really mean to them

BBC : You're keep talking about democracy but this is the democratically elected government and these protesters are simply try to force out of the government thru their ways on the street and that is not democracy.

Thaksin: No no no they are really just protest ……if you look at the way the government come to power…. they form the government in the military barrack…..by the help of the army commander and also the privy councilors……

BBC : Would you like to return to the country, would you like to lead the country again? Is that what behind this?

Thaksin : No No No It is not really behind…. If I were to go back to the country… It should be for the good of the country………I am now happy outside…. I am not care going back or not…….but I am worry about the poor..I worry about the middle class people ..they need opportunities….. It should be democracy for all….

BBC : You of course were found guilty of corruption charges, would you consider going back try to clear your name?

Thaksin : No , I can clear my name easily…..I 've done nothing wrong…

The government in power is not there as the result of any election. Thaksin backers won both of the free elections that were held and the winning parties were disbanded by the courts (who support the power elite of Bangkok) for buying votes (as though everyone didn't do that). Their PM kicked out for appearing on a cooking show. Come on, who's shitting who here....

The government in power now is an illegal government according to the Thai constitution. The people currently in power don't want elections. They want legislators 'appointed' (by whom?); that's not democracy. If another election were held, the Thaksin supporters would win again. So in the interest of maintaining 'peace and order' the fascists ride again. The army is mobilized and shots are fired. Will these generals go groveling in front of the king? Is that the price to be paid for maintaing the stranglehold on power?

Why do some folks distort the truth, to put over there point of view.

The government in power is a LEGAL government according to the Thai Constitution

The people in power would be quite happy to have elections , when their time as a constitutional government runs out , or if they would lose a vote of confidence in parliament.

The debate and vote of confidence in the current government took place last month and the voting showed quite clearly that this government won an overwhelming vote of confidence.and all Taksins allies took part in the debate, and voted....so they must agree that they lost the debate and thus the government has the legal and constitutional right to continue in power.

Please , lets have a debate on this forum , BUt facts please , not lies and distortion!!

You say Abhisit was democratically elected from within parliament.

For your information a democracy is where the people turn out and vote for the party they want to lead them. On the last 3 occasions the ruling Democratic Party has LOST. This is not an opinion its a fact - look it up. Abisit has NO mandate from the people. If Thailand was a democracy Abhisit would dissolve parliament, go to the country and let the people choose their MP's and Prime Minister - not have it decided by a mob who occupies Thailands principal airport until their will is met.

Of course, we know this is not going to happen because Abhisit knows he'd lose another election and the yellow shirts would then have to take over the airport again until the courts nullified the election and restored the Democrats which inevitably would lead to the red shirts protesting................ and so on and so on...................

Sondthi, the PAD leader said on ASTV last week that the PAD WILL NOT ACCEPT any PM than someone from the Democrat party.

Anything else, and they will start their actions again untill their demands are met.

Democracy????

BS

Nuff said .....

The Thai soldiers and the mobs of the Red Shirt Thailand faction. The situation right now is extremely terrible and horrible. At this moment here (13/April/2009 – 2100 GMT+7), the soldiers in Thailand are killing civilians with their weapons after the evening, and they do not report about the deaths of the mobs. The media announce that there are no deaths among the mobs, but that is completely false intel. As a witness, I am looking out of my windows, completely witnessing all the firing of weapons from the soldiers against the mobs. One by one, the individuals of the mobs have fallen. We need your help from all over the world, to know the situation that is happening in Thailand. We only want peace for our country, so I hope that by this e-mail, the truth will be revealed.

HEAR HEAR,

Someone telling the TRUT about Abhisit.

ABHISIT, YOU HAVE BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ABISIT, ORK PAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The difference between the yellow shirts and the red shirts is this;

Violence, the yellow shirts did not wreck a hotel, put buses on fire throwing Molotov cocktails etc. If they expect anyone to see them as anything but in best case insurgents or terrorists they have to stop the violence.

They started this with violence and that normally is responded with violence, as we have now.

With Taksin's "Moral" support he would be the puppet master for this and he should be charged for terrorism and get Interpol to extradite him.

Now just when things started to look a little bit brighter for Thailand after all the previous mess, we have this, it will take forever to build it up again. Who will suffer, the poor and the middle class who Taksin claims to support.

If all those round bellied, soft palmed keyboard warriors out there in TV land think that the dispersal of the Reds by the army this afternoon will mean that the rural disaffected will quietly slink back to their paddy fields in the North and East never to rise again they are sadly misguided. The genie is out of the bottle now and a diet of insects, the odd bottle of Mekong and a twice a year subsistence level crop of rice isnt going to keep them placated anymore. Thaksin gave them a small taste of what the rest of the country takes for granted and they want more.

Detractors of Thaksin should be greatful that he is the one who is leading them at the moment because God help the country when someone more socially motivated is bought to position of leadership amongst them. Then blood really will flow in the streets and the Revolution will really begin.

Taksin, the big lair

On BBC, He denied to be a person behind the protesting

BBC : Are you the man behind what we are seeing ? Are you orchestrating…. almost daily contact with your video links to your supporters?

Thaksin: yes ….no I would like to give them moral support …. I never I never I never instigating them… I want them to fight to get true democracy………….The poor cannot get help … .during my administration………..the poor feel like you know the democracy really mean to them

BBC : You're keep talking about democracy but this is the democratically elected government and these protesters are simply try to force out of the government thru their ways on the street and that is not democracy.

Thaksin: No no no they are really just protest ……if you look at the way the government come to power…. they form the government in the military barrack…..by the help of the army commander and also the privy councilors……

BBC : Would you like to return to the country, would you like to lead the country again? Is that what behind this?

Thaksin : No No No It is not really behind…. If I were to go back to the country… It should be for the good of the country………I am now happy outside…. I am not care going back or not…….but I am worry about the poor..I worry about the middle class people ..they need opportunities….. It should be democracy for all….

BBC : You of course were found guilty of corruption charges, would you consider going back try to clear your name?

Thaksin : No , I can clear my name easily…..I 've done nothing wrong…

The government in power is not there as the result of any election. Thaksin backers won both of the free elections that were held and the winning parties were disbanded by the courts (who support the power elite of Bangkok) for buying votes (as though everyone didn't do that). Their PM kicked out for appearing on a cooking show. Come on, who's shitting who here....

The government in power now is an illegal government according to the Thai constitution. The people currently in power don't want elections. They want legislators 'appointed' (by whom?); that's not democracy. If another election were held, the Thaksin supporters would win again. So in the interest of maintaining 'peace and order' the fascists ride again. The army is mobilized and shots are fired. Will these generals go groveling in front of the king? Is that the price to be paid for maintaing the stranglehold on power?

The government in power is a LEGAL government according to the Thai Constitution

The people in power would be quite happy to have elections , when their time as a constitutional government runs out , or if they would lose a vote of confidence in parliament.

The debate and vote of confidence in the current government took place last month and the voting showed quite clearly that this government won an overwhelming vote of confidence.and all Taksins allies took part in the debate, and voted....so they must agree that they lost the debate and thus the government has the legal and constitutional right to continue in power.

Please , lets have a debate on this forum , BUt facts please , not lies and distortion!!

:o I'll second that!

Reuters and AFP say the red leaders have given up to save human lifes.

Prateep Ungsongtham Hata says, that demonstrations will stop but may go on later on.

Negotations to withdraw red shirts from the area are going on according to Reuters.

The Thai soldiers and the mobs of the Red Shirt Thailand faction. The situation right now is extremely terrible and horrible. At this moment here (13/April/2009 – 2100 GMT+7), the soldiers in Thailand are killing civilians with their weapons after the evening, and they do not report about the deaths of the mobs. The media announce that there are no deaths among the mobs, but that is completely false intel. As a witness, I am looking out of my windows, completely witnessing all the firing of weapons from the soldiers against the mobs. One by one, the individuals of the mobs have fallen. We need your help from all over the world, to know the situation that is happening in Thailand. We only want peace for our country, so I hope that by this e-mail, the truth will be revealed.

HEAR HEAR,

The Reds may be going home, but they will be back !!!!

Veera tells red-shirts to take buses to provincial bus terminals

Before entering the Metropolitan Police head office to surrender, Veera Musigapong told red-shirted protesters to ride official buses to provincial bus terminals and go home.

He urged the protesters to take care of themselves during their trips home.

He said the four buses provided by the authorities would not be enough to accommodate them.

He told the remaining protesters to group on the road island waiting to be picked up and transported to Morchit, Northern, and Southern Bus terminals.

He directed protester to get up two buses to Morchit bus terminal.

- THE NATION -

It is impossible in this media crazy world of cameras...video phones and CCTV to hide 100 dead bodies. Where is all the blood? Where is the stench of dead bodies being hidden? Anyone who has smelled one dead body or seen the blood of one gunshot victim knows that these are rumors and propaganda to further a cause.

UNTIL I SEE DEAD BODIES PILED UP IN PHOTOS FROM INDEPENDENT OBSERVERS I SAY IT IS ALL LIES.

This is a huge city and everyone has cameras and phones and transportation. You dont think red shirts are not filming all of this? They would be sending non-stop videos to the internet and CNN and BBC and local News if they had any proof of 100s of deaths like the report by the RED SHITTS.

The end of the all-too-messy demonstration is near.

Message from Bangkokians to Red Shirts: Go home.

Yes. Let's hope so, or if Bangkok is their home, let them go indoors.

Here here! It's about time that someone cut through the BS and got to the crux of the situation :D In just a few generations the chinese elite oh wait I'm sure I meant to say the Thai elite has taken absolute control of the LOS. Free elections apparently mean nothing to the elites as they just convince a few key generals to stage a coup and then stack the judiciary and key goverment offices with their cronies, then eventually they allow another election and when the peoples voice is heard and the elites lose yet again they just find another way to wrest control of the country away from the elected government. It's time for the monarchy to enter the stage front and center and put an end to this or else not only will democracy fail in Thailand but the monarchy may end as well :o My prayers are with the Thai people, may the pretenders be struck down.

So where does the real embarrasment lay, with Abhisit or Thaksin. In the eyes of world leaders and indead the world at large, Thaksin has once again proven that he cares for no one other than himself, and he is in fact Thailands biggest embarrasment and cause for embarrasment. Thaksin sits in a plush chair in a five star hotel pushing people to their deaths with false hope and promises. How can a man that loves the people he wishes to lead incite violence and bloodshed on the joyess occasion of Songkran and a time for celebration by the Thai people. He has shown the educated world that he has no love for the Kingdom, the King, or the Thai people. He should never be allowed to grace the world stage that Thailand sits upon. He should no longer be allowed to set foot into the beautiful country who's democracy he has set out to destroy. He has displayed nothing other than evil and contempt for his countrymen. He is inciting a poor and simple section of the community to take up weapons and have their blood spilt only for his political aspirations, an attempt to regain control of what would end up a dictatorship. One to only pad his pockets, wallet, and bank accounts. Abhisit is an educated man, an Obama style leader that has good intentions to take Thailand to the world as a wonderful tourist destination, a wonderful place to conduct business, and is determined to take Thailand to the next level where all of Thailand would benefit. He is a leader of vision, a young man with something to prove to the world, and he is prepared to do all he can to secure a better Thailand for all of Thailand and its people. He is determined to drag it out of the dark ages and proclaim Thailand as a destination of beauty, culture, friendliness and commerce. Thaksin, shame on you for choosing to incite people with your emotional blackmail. You have no care or respect for your contry, your King, or the Kings people. May a royal decree be drawn up that you are never allowed to step up onto Thailand stage again. Forever live in excile.

Very well said! :o

Indeed, nothing to add. :D

Natthawut surrenders

Natthawut Saikua joined Veera Musigapong to surrendered at the Royal Plaza at 12:22 pm Tuesday.

He left the rally site and saw the protesters boarding buses to provincial bus terminals.

Then, Natthawut joined Veera who was helping the officials direct protesters to board the buses.

- THE NATION -

HEAR HEAR,

The Reds may be going home, but they will be back !!!!

they won't be back

thaksins red posse are a spent force, in 3 weeks his 76 billion baht that was seized for his corrupt acts will officially be ruled upon by the court and absorbed by the government to help pay for the mess he created

he was caught lying in a BBC interview about financing the red revolution

there will be no more money forthcoming from squarehead to finance anything

he is probably the most despised man in the Asia Pacific at this time

the only way Thaksin is coming back to Thailand is in a box.....

Perhaps the saddest thing about this is that although this has made world news and many people have been injured and some may have died many more will be injured and die in the madness that is Songkran and nobody will do anything do anything to stop that happening again next year.

The root cause. So, you you mean that the 2006 military coup that started ALL THESE is also LEGAL?

lets leave the poor old working girl out of this I think.Yes most come from poor areas but I've yet to see a working girl who can support herself her family and fund a red army get your head out of the clouds and get a life and leave the girl not only in Bangkok but anywhere in Thailand out of it I have never read anything so stupid in my life