Cheapest Car In Thailand? Tata Nano Available?

Svenn

Many of you have probably heard of the roughly 70,000 baht car now available in India:

http://tatanano.inservices.tatamotors.com/tatamotors/

I was wondering if it was available in Thailand or something similar? It seems like a really great way to get 4 people off of motorcycles and into dry shelter... and stylish enough to where I don't think I'd get laughed at for driving one in Isaan.

Many of you have probably heard of the roughly 70,000 baht car now available in India:

I was wondering if it was available in Thailand or something similar? It seems like a really great way to get 4 people off of motorcycles and into dry shelter... and stylish enough to where I don't think I'd get laughed at for driving one in Isaan.

70000 baht down and 70000 baht a month repairs.

Is this from experience? And the top speed is 65 mph, not km/h. I believe it's more of a glorified tuk-tuk rather than a car, ... i see many cars that look almost the same (narrow, tiny wheels) here in japan.

Just love to have one of that TATA NANO....sooo cute

However it does not even meet the basic safety std here in the US, so we won't be seeing them here after all

So be careful when buying one of those soda-can or likekind

Just love to have one of that TATA NANO....sooo cute

However it does not even meet the basic safety std here in the US, so we won't be seeing them here after all

So be careful when buying one of those soda-can or likekind

I believe they can hold a family of 4 adults and 6 children inside and as many animals on the roof as possible-great car 555555555

The website has a CGI form at the top that you can add your question inside, Can I....? and then you can refer to the extensive FAQ page that will probably help. The Tata Motors Thailand doesn't mention anything, but pickup trucks.

tatamotors.co.th

:o

Funny enough very small cars are not sold in Thailand like the 3 Cyl Toyota or The Nissan Micra. The are graet seller in Europe. Also Economical small Diesel cars like the 3 Cyl Skode. The smallest you get here is the Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris.

I agree that one Tata Nano is better than two Honda dreams.

I had a Diahatsu Mira for 12 years, great little car 3 Cyl 666 cc. Not sold in Thailand any more, every body’s car in Malaysia.

Speaking as I who had a LADA Sumara for 10 years ( apart from the buckling interior panels, from the heat in Oz) was the best car I have ever owned; 48 mpg, primer on the carby for cold weather, instruction book in russian on how to prepare the car for sub zero temp, shock absorbers that never gave up, one gallon windscreen washers (which were strong enough to was wet tar off the windscreen etc etc.

The TATA motors are the ones that gave us the "Mahindra", you know the one, the "Jeep" knockoff using parts that are interchangeable with the older Jeep models...a top motor car...?

On enquiry you to can have a Nano for US$5,000 landed... :o:D

I think that is a little premature. When I first read the Wikipedia article, I was impressed by the supplier list:

Supplier - Product

Bosch Gasoline injection system (diesel will follow), starter, alternator, brake system

Continental AG Gasoline fuel supply system, fuel level sensor

Caparo Inner structural panels

HSI AUTO Static sealing systems (Weather Strips)

Delphi Instrument cluster

Denso Windshield wiper system (single motor and arm)

FAG Rear-wheel bearing

Ficosa Rear-view mirrors, interior mirrors, manual and CVT shifters, washer system

Freudenberg Engine sealing

GKN Driveshafts

INA Shifting elements

ITW Deltar Outside and inside door handles

Johnson Controls Seating

Mahle Camshafts, spin-on oil filters, fuel filters and air cleaners

Saint-Gobain Glazing

TRW Brake system

Ceekay Daikin/Valeo Clutch sets

Vibracoustic Engine mounts

Visteon Air induction system

ZF Friedrichshafen AG Chassis components, including tie rods

Safety issues are mixed, quoting again,

"Ratan Tata also said, 'The car has passed the full-frontal crash and the side impact crash'.[54] Tata Nano passed the required 'homologation’ tests with Pune-based Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI).This means that the car has met all the specified criteria for roadworthiness laid out by the government including emissions or noise & vibration and can now ply on Indian roads."

and

"India has 8 percent of the world’s vehicle fatalities and less than 1 per cent of its cars, with more than 90,000 people killed on the country’s roads every year. Introducing a million Nanos into the mix may bring more – and unwelcome – headlines.

Tata, which has the only crash-test facility in the country, said that the Nano "exceeds current regulatory requirements". And while it is not a deathtrap – it has crumple zones, seat belts and strong seat anchors – it is worth bearing in mind that total vehicle crash testing (rather than just frontal impact), airbags and antilock braking systems are not mandatory.

Without these, the Nano would not even be considered for approval in Britain. Adding them would double its price in India, which is why they have been omitted."

My conclusion is the car seems sturdy enough to give it a try. It would certainly help Thailand's overpriced used car market to come down to more reasonable levels.

Edited by jkolak

Would you want to ride around in a vehicle that has like an 80 km/h top speed, does NOT conform to any safety regulations, etc?

If the alternative is being on a bike with 4 people: !!!!!! YES !!!!!!!!

Anyway, you can all stop dreaming as it's not made in Thailand or ASEAN so you will be paying a BIG premium even if you could get it shipped overhere. A model with the basic options you'd need would probably cost as much as a Honda Jazz by that time, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense then anymore.

On the topic of the cheapest car in Thailand, I believe that would be one of those Malaysian ones..

Meaning the Naza Forza:

http://www.bkkautos.com/2008-Bangkok-Inter...how--Naza-Forza

http://www.nazaclub.com/index.php

http://www.thaiprotonclub.com/news_read.php?id=1803

Or Proton Savvy

http://www.andymervingeorge.com/2007/12/pr...ut-in-thailand/

http://www.thaiprotonclub.com/index.php

Owning a car is not a right, it is a privaledge.

Im afraid i disagree with the TATA theory that everybody should be able to have a car.

If everybody learned to ride a motorcycle properly before even being allowed behind the wheel of a car, it would make the roads a safer place in any country.

In answer to the OP's question, the cheapest car in Thailand at the moment is the Proton Savvy (I believe!)

Ohhhhh look its no different to the VW beetle or the Fiat 500 , 60 odd years ago. Developing countries like India will make a killing, try telling the Inidans you cant have one for global warming etc etc Europe did the same and the U.S with the Model T.

I think that is a little premature. When I first read the Wikipedia article, I was impressed by the supplier list:

Supplier - Product

Bosch Gasoline injection system (diesel will follow), starter, alternator, brake system

Continental AG Gasoline fuel supply system, fuel level sensor

Caparo Inner structural panels

HSI AUTO Static sealing systems (Weather Strips)

Delphi Instrument cluster

Denso Windshield wiper system (single motor and arm)

FAG Rear-wheel bearing

Ficosa Rear-view mirrors, interior mirrors, manual and CVT shifters, washer system

Freudenberg Engine sealing

GKN Driveshafts

INA Shifting elements

ITW Deltar Outside and inside door handles

Johnson Controls Seating

Mahle Camshafts, spin-on oil filters, fuel filters and air cleaners

Saint-Gobain Glazing

TRW Brake system

Ceekay Daikin/Valeo Clutch sets

Vibracoustic Engine mounts

Visteon Air induction system

ZF Friedrichshafen AG Chassis components, including tie rods

Safety issues are mixed, quoting again,

"Ratan Tata also said, 'The car has passed the full-frontal crash and the side impact crash'.[54] Tata Nano passed the required 'homologation' tests with Pune-based Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI).This means that the car has met all the specified criteria for roadworthiness laid out by the government including emissions or noise & vibration and can now ply on Indian roads."

and

"India has 8 percent of the world's vehicle fatalities and less than 1 per cent of its cars, with more than 90,000 people killed on the country's roads every year. Introducing a million Nanos into the mix may bring more – and unwelcome – headlines.

Tata, which has the only crash-test facility in the country, said that the Nano "exceeds current regulatory requirements". And while it is not a deathtrap – it has crumple zones, seat belts and strong seat anchors – it is worth bearing in mind that total vehicle crash testing (rather than just frontal impact), airbags and antilock braking systems are not mandatory.

Without these, the Nano would not even be considered for approval in Britain. Adding them would double its price in India, which is why they have been omitted."

My conclusion is the car seems sturdy enough to give it a try. It would certainly help Thailand's overpriced used car market to come down to more reasonable levels.

Don't believe a word of what they say. You might want to research TATAs long history of corruption , lies and murder before you believe their crash test results.

Even if those parts are genuinely from those companies there is nothing to stop them from being 'seconds' or an extremely cheaply made version of what they usually sell.

Just because there is more metal around you doesn't mean it will help you . Just more to crush you with.

This could be another G Whizz bargain which is road legal in Britain and didn't have to do crash testing. TOP GEAR (?) paid for a crash test. The tester who does it every day said he felt physically sick seeing the results and thinking what would have happened with a real person inside. That car at first glance would have a lot more protection than a moped, but does a lot more damage.

After the things that TATA have done to build their empire no one with morals should ever buy from them.

"On enquiry you to can have a Nano for US$5,000 landed... :o:D "

Where?

Would it be possible to legalise it with registration etc

It HAS to be considerably safer than my 120cc 2 stroke and the daughters Yam 125 Scooter.

And I am one of them poor "farang" who can not afford the huge price of new cars here, even the Proton Savvy is 400,000 baht

Ta Ta

On me Bike

Chiang Mai

• 8 months later...
Would you want to ride around in a vehicle that has like an 80 km/h top speed, does NOT conform to any safety regulations, etc?

If the alternative is being on a bike with 4 people: !!!!!! YES !!!!!!!!

Anyway, you can all stop dreaming as it's not made in Thailand or ASEAN so you will be paying a BIG premium even if you could get it shipped overhere. A model with the basic options you'd need would probably cost as much as a Honda Jazz by that time, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense then anymore.

On the topic of the cheapest car in Thailand, I believe that would be one of those Malaysian ones..

Meaning the Naza Forza:

http://www.bkkautos.com/2008-Bangkok-Inter...how--Naza-Forza

http://www.nazaclub.com/index.php

http://www.thaiprotonclub.com/news_read.php?id=1803

Or Proton Savvy

http://www.andymervingeorge.com/2007/12/pr...ut-in-thailand/

http://www.thaiprotonclub.com/index.php

No Problem . . READ : http://www.prlog.org/10263767-thailand-and...-agreement.html

It will come to Thailand soon with a low price tag ! . . i will buy one for sure and sell my motorcycle !

They ARE cute.

They ARE cheap.

However they are still cars.... which means here in Bangkok they will stand motionless behind the bumper of the car in front and in front of the car behind, only adding to the chaos that is "Bangkok Traffic". And in the time they stand there motionless they will burn precious fuel and pollute the air.

I very much prefer two Honda Dreams over one Tata Nano, in order to get four people from A to B. Zipping right by all those motionless heaps of metal whose only purpose is to show off the wealth of their owners.

Best regards....

Thanh (who uses the truck for long distance and heavy haulage and the bike for everything else)

They ARE cute.

They ARE cheap.

However they are still cars.... which means here in Bangkok they will stand motionless behind the bumper of the car in front and in front of the car behind, only adding to the chaos that is "Bangkok Traffic". And in the time they stand there motionless they will burn precious fuel and pollute the air.

I very much prefer two Honda Dreams over one Tata Nano, in order to get four people from A to B. Zipping right by all those motionless heaps of metal whose only purpose is to show off the wealth of their owners.

Best regards....

Thanh (who uses the truck for long distance and heavy haulage and the bike for everything else)

So can you explain me how to use a motorcycle on the tollway? Don't want to cross 175 Trafficlights in 3 hours from Sri Nakarin to Kantanapisek Road. I prefer a car always, not sweeting all day long under a helmet, without AC, can lock up my gostery after shopping, can listen to the music of my HiFi System, etc. Same on my home. The same thing with your TV. You don't look in a 9 inches TV, when you can enyoy your movie on a 29 inches flatscreen I prefere a Sofa for look TV, instead of sitting on the floor. A car is not to show the wealt of the owner, it's something cofortable. I personally always prefer a car, more bigger more better, not a Jazz! But i don't have or made any kids (so far as i know) who will pollute the air. Just a dog is enought for me!

Aeh... i forgot about "heabs of metal" Today isn't metal anymore, it's plastic anyway.

Edited by stingray

Hi.

If i had to chose between "listening music while sitting in the air condition" and taking three hours for that or, alternative, be there in 25 minutes - not question what i'd chose. Tollway? That's an advantage but you have to pay to use those and i have been stuck in traffic jams just the same on those "express" ways as on normal roads, turned out to be an expensive parking lot those times. Also there's not always a tollway going where you need to go..... other than for large detours to get to and from a tollway which in turn involves more of regular traffic/roads.

Agree for long distance travel a car is a must but in the big city? waste of money and resources, a bike gets you there faster and cheaper.

Best regards......

Thanh

• 2 years later...

It may be 70,000 baht in India, but I saw one yesterday in the Tata Showroom in Chiang Mai and it's 294,000 baht on the road price.

looks OK for the money, seems like the top spec except the music.

That's just inflation, after all it has been three years.