220 Dead, 2,658 Injured In First Four Dangerous Days

george

yea my brother is a cop in the US and he said Thai people are the craziest drivers he's ever seen.

getting across town to the mall is more of a game than a leisurely outing. dodge the bike, dodge the dog, slam on the brakes for the bus to cut you off, watch out for the 3 kids running across the street. oh and then there's cows, chickens, the occasional buffalo.

driving in the US (or even Mexico) is easy compared to Thailand.

oh I just looked up some more stats for you guys:

avg annual US highway death toll is 42,000, or about 15 per 100k population. avg annual Thailand road deaths are around 13,000, or 20 per 100k pop.

according to this road safety facts site (http://www.grsproadsafety.org/page-thailand-28.html#Facts), 75% of all Thailand road accidents are MALE. easy to believe.

one of the first thing my wife told me was there are 4x as many single girls in Thailand than guys because of the high male mortality rate.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

220 deaths and 2,658 injured in first four dangerous days

In other words it was 100+ times safer to be in the middle of the riot in Bangkok than on the streets of Thailand! Strange... :o

Correct !!!!! The riot is much safer...... bring itr back.....

They have units by the side of the road here, supposedly to test for or discourage drunken driving. Waiting to turn out onto a busy main road opposite one of these last night I counted three bikes without lights one of which was driven by a kid who couldn't have been much older than 12 or 13. One passenger, no helmets and probably not much chance of making it to twenty.

They have frequent helmet checks here which, despite much cynicism from may of us expats as to the motive, have actually increased the wearing of helmets but it seems unless a policeman is actually in this or that particular mode they never stop motorists for anything else, no matter how obvious.

It reminds me of the nature documentaries that show preditors and prey all milling around near each other and paying not much attention until a predator gets hungry. :o

TBH I think its good that they don't chase after motorcyclists for not wearing helmets. The times I have seen them try to stop bikes many have tried to escape using dangerous maneuvers. What they need is a passive system to fine the owners of the bike similar to photo radar. Maybe after word gets around that the BIB are going to the registered owners home to collect a fine Thais will start wearing the helmet. There is also no point having the law if they pass off the plastic sand pail with straps type helmet, all those are good for are scooping brain matter into after the accident.

As long as we don't have socialized medicine I don't see the purpose with having helmet laws.

A law to force the protection of a brain that isn't smart enough to protect itself?

Call it culling out the bad genes.

It's a sad fact that these threads are a waste of time. You may just as well regurgitate the same threads from previous years. Same posts just a different year.

Nothing will change unfortunately, it's such a waste of lives.

Correct!! I liked the idea of making a new thread about marital conversations and let's have a laugh after this sad period

Cheers

Dave

I just tried to discuss with my wife the 2 dead in the riots which she was apalled at and the 220 deaths on the road which I was apalled at. Sadly as I have found with many discussions like this she was disinterested " up to them" her comment, I mentioned how about the folk walking on the pavement that get run down by them who didnt choose to drink and drive, " I got pain my tummy" came next and frustratingly this is how many of our "serious" chats often end up or with "u correct" which means she doesnt want to talk about this anymore.

Anyone else get these type of responses? I get disheartened at times by it.

As long as we don't have socialized medicine I don't see the purpose with having helmet laws.

A law to force the protection of a brain that isn't smart enough to protect itself?

Call it culling out the bad genes.

Survival of the smartest...

I just tried to discuss with my wife the 2 dead in the riots which she was apalled at and the 220 deaths on the road which I was apalled at. Sadly as I have found with many discussions like this she was disinterested " up to them" her comment, I mentioned how about the folk walking on the pavement that get run down by them who didnt choose to drink and drive, " I got pain my tummy" came next and frustratingly this is how many of our "serious" chats often end up or with "u correct" which means she doesnt want to talk about this anymore.

As I read these expressions of disheartening discussions, or lack of discussions some have with their wives, I wonder what the conversations were like before they were married. :o

Yes it's easy to understand that Chiangrai has the highest number of fatalities. Being a car owner and occasional user of the roads up there, especially the 'Super Highway' North bound I have had my near misses, luckily I am an educated professional driver as opposed to most Thais who just don't have a clue.

I wouldn't say it's the vehicles although some are pretty piss poor, or the roads. It's the drivers attitude and capacity for thinking ahead or in case of Thailand, thinking at all. Maybe they have too much karaoke on their minds?????

Edited by turbotojo

Let me tell you that my wife is a complete opposite to yours. She is a very critical person. There are good and negative things about that, so don't be saddened! What I say is very hard to find a golden middle :o

Arrest the arsewipes that are using hoses...powder and ice water thrown on motorcycles on Sukhumvit. I was hit in the face with a very powerful hose in front of times square. I watched the thugs drench busses...business people dressed for work and old ladies. This is not the meaning of Songkran....its drunk punks just like red/yellow shirts. This country is run by thugs and the police are useless.

BIB do not wear helmets while on motorcycles....but write tickets to other riders? So sad how the abuse of power is considered the norm in the LOS. I have seen 2 or 3 motorcycle police drunk on their butts on soi 34 in full uniform...with a gun...and then ride off to go home. They needed a good splash from Songkran...to wake them up or sober them up.

Just to put this into perspective.

Easter road toll passes 2007 mark

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:05am AEDT

Updated Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:08am AEDT

Related Story: Easter road toll hits 12 The national road toll for the Easter weekend has risen to 14.

Queensland has the highest tally of all states and territories, with five after the death of another motorcyclist.

In the latest accidents, two children have been killed in a single vehicle accident near Toowoomba in south-east Queensland, shortly after a pedestrian was killed north of Brisbane.

Meanwhile, a woman died in a car roll-over in Tom Price 1,500 kilometres north of Perth in Western Australia.

Three fatalities have now been recorded in Tasmania, three in Western Australia, and one each in Victoria, South Australia and the Northern Territory.

Only New South Wales and the ACT remain fatality free.

Last year, 13 people were killed in road accidents over the entire Easter holiday period.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/23/2196895.htm

Now perhaps you can quote the total populations and population density figures for the two countries and explain how it provides any perspective at all?

As I read these expressions of disheartening discussions, or lack of discussions some have with their wives, I wonder what the conversations were like before they were married. :o
I'm thinking they were something along the lines of, "you handsome man, you buy me cola". That is unless there is some other way of meeting uneducated farmers' daughters, that I haven't heard about? :D Edited by inthepink

They have units by the side of the road here, supposedly to test for or discourage drunken driving. Waiting to turn out onto a busy main road opposite one of these last night I counted three bikes without lights one of which was driven by a kid who couldn't have been much older than 12 or 13. One passenger, no helmets and probably not much chance of making it to twenty.

They have frequent helmet checks here which, despite much cynicism from may of us expats as to the motive, have actually increased the wearing of helmets but it seems unless a policeman is actually in this or that particular mode they never stop motorists for anything else, no matter how obvious.

It reminds me of the nature documentaries that show preditors and prey all milling around near each other and paying not much attention until a predator gets hungry. :o

These helmets worn in Thailand offer as much protection as a plastic soup bowl stuck on your head!

If the law states they have to be worn then why can't they implement a standard where the helmets actually offer some protection, otherwise people get a false sense of security when they wear these 200bt helmets that all the major retail companys offer.

Even the more expensive full face ones that cost about 800-1500bt are useless if one expects life saving protection.

Any westerner that has biking experiance knows that a good qaulity helmet bought in the western world costs around 10,000 - 20,000bt in local currency, it might be a lot of money but very little in comparison to the cost of a life.

I think the law should state that if the strap isn't fastened, the helmet isn't considered to be on. The most senseless thing I see is putting it on and then not fastening it--it's like holding the seat belt over you instead of fastening it!

Very stupid. Very passive aggressive.

I'm thinking they were something along the lines of, "you handsome man, you buy me cola". That is unless there is some other way of meeting uneducated farmers' daughters, that I haven't heard about? :D

Im wondering who is uneducated here? The simple farm girl or the Farang's stereotypes of them?

Update:

Songkran road accidents' death toll rises to 272 after five days

A total of 272 people were killed in road accidents from April 10 to Tuesday, the Road Accident Centre announced Wedeneday.

Chaliew Yusimarak, a member of the Road Accident Committee, said 3,375 other people were injured during the period.

On Tuesday alone, 638 accidents occurred, killing 52 people and injuring 717 others.

-- The Nation 2009-04-15

Aha i read there are 13500 deaths a year in Thailand on motorbikes alone which is 36 a day already so maybe only 100 or so are due to Songkran, still apalling though.

In Korea the women have a saying, "If you want get rid of your husband...buy him a motorcycle." Sad but true.

When you see 4drunk 14 year olds on a moped all swigging from a large bottle of Chang and swerving over the road....is it any wonder....just suprised the figures dont run into tens of thousands....I kept the wife and kids indoors for 3 days.....

Arrest the arsewipes that are using hoses...powder and ice water thrown on motorcycles on Sukhumvit. I was hit in the face with a very powerful hose in front of times square. I watched the thugs drench busses...business people dressed for work and old ladies. This is not the meaning of Songkran....its drunk punks just like red/yellow shirts. This country is run by thugs and the police are useless.

Yes, people that are going out of their way to make people that DON'T WANNA PLAY wet or dirty (white crap on clothes and face) needs to be garroted.

Seriously, I'm tired of working in a war zone, having to plan enter ways to get in or plan escape routes every entry and exit from the office just because others are having holidays and no common sense.

(At the office now and only hope I manage to avoid them when going home in a while.)

Related Story: Easter road toll hits 12 The national road toll for the Easter weekend has risen to 14.

Queensland has the highest tally of all states and territories, with five after the death of another motorcyclist.

In the latest accidents, two children have been killed in a single vehicle accident near Toowoomba in south-east Queensland, shortly after a pedestrian was killed north of Brisbane.

Meanwhile, a woman died in a car roll-over in Tom Price 1,500 kilometres north of Perth in Western Australia.

Three fatalities have now been recorded in Tasmania, three in Western Australia, and one each in Victoria, South Australia and the Northern Territory.

Last year, 13 people were killed in road accidents over the entire Easter holiday period.

And the point is ????

Aus has 14 million people,, and thailand has,, about 8 million in Bangkok alone,, wake up man

Loosen up you tight asses.... get pissed and enjoy the new year,,, same as falang new year

Or some of you dimwits (and often the dimwits are farangs without a clue or care) could realize that people that work aren't into being drenched due to some childish game.

If one participate, fine...but if one is not...

And the point is ????

Aus has 14 million people,, and thailand has,, about 8 million in Bangkok alone,, wake up man

Population clock17 Mar 2009 ... On 15 April 2009 at 02:00:43 PM (Canberra time), the resident population of Australia is projected to be: 21731828 ...

www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]/0/1647509ef7e25faaca2568a900154b63?OpenDocument - 15k - Cached

http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]/0/...63?OpenDocument

Population

According to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Thailand has a population of about 63,000,000 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

With three times the australian propulation we wouldexpect the comparable figures to be 42 dead

Soo go back to sleep or check your facts first.

220 deaths and 2,658 injured in first four dangerous days

In other words it was 100+ times safer to be in the middle of the riot in Bangkok than on the streets of Thailand! Strange... :D

Uh... YEAH!!! Songkran 2009 aka DEATHRACE 2009 :P

This is the Thai version of the 'running of the lemmings', nature's way of culling the herd if you will.

:D After my 3rd one, I have since decided for the last decade to just stay indoors and as close to home as possible during Songkran.

:D:D :jerk:

I was a little slow on the uptake since I should have learned my lesson on my first one. When I went home three times to change out of my wet clothes only to be soaked within seconds of leaving.

I thought I was clever finally donning my scuba wetsuit mask and snorkel to drive on my motorcycle from point 'a' to point 'b'.

What I didn't anticipate was the drunk Irishman (is that a redundancy in terms?) that tried to rob me with a claw hammer (no joke) and after disarming him and knocking some sense into him only to be arrested by Koh Samui's finest for "fighting"?!?

:wai::o

I think the Irishman's Thai girlfriend may have had a hand in that since it was her 'uncle' I later found out was the arresting officer.

WORST PART was trying to explain to the officers and fellow cell mates I was the sober and sane one of the two while they looked at me in my my highly visible RED WETSUIT!!!

Traveling worldwide in some of the most dangerous warzones only comes close to the mayhem that voluntarily takes place in the Land of Smiles during Songkran.

Live long, prosper and for God's sake be careful in the quest for sanuk.

what a bizarre story, i know one should not laugh but hey! amazing, sounds like

a strange story that an 'alternative' comedian might come up with in a late night comedy gig!!

the death and injury toll certainly is not funny, a costly little festival?

Cheers

Hey I totaly agree with you! I have seen dozens of kids riding their motorbikes with no lights on and it seems to be fashionable now to have only either a front or back light on. I have also noticed a trend where people change their rear lights for bright white lights and/or change their front light for a ridiculously bright light to blind on coming traffic.

Also the helmets, you so right...In thailand a helmet is to save money not lives!! I dont think that 90% of the helmets you see here would save your life anyway, I think a crock bowl would serve just as much protection!!

So true, the amount of Thai's I know who have had motorbike accidents is mental, but they just accept is as part of the 'way it is'. What does make me laugh is seeing people on bikes, with a crash helmet in the front basket, just in case they see BIB! Another thing that annoys me is seeing a parent wearing a helmet but their 2 year old standing up with no protection at all! I agree the helmets compared to what I have in the UK are absolutely rubbish, barely any padding and I doubt it would save me if I had a small knock with a car here! Strange thing is everyone just seems to accept the 'odd death' on a bike as the norm!

And the point is ????

The point is Aussie's are (still) really, REALLY crap drivers.

Edited by NanLaew

To put the 'extra vigilance' of the Royal Thai Highway Police in perspective, out of hundreds and hundreds of pickup trucks full of wet people on the way to Nong Khai today, I was singled out and pulled over to the 'testing station' for boozed up drivers. I lowered the window and the masked cop stuck this thingumabob in my face and to my 'Alai nah?', he asked my wife if I had been drinking. When she answered to the negative, he waived me on. Safe!

There you go. First hand AND NOT ANECDOTAL evidence of the commendable effort being placed on this silly season's anti drunk-driving effort.

Edited by NanLaew

I think the law should state that if the strap isn't fastened, the helmet isn't considered to be on. The most senseless thing I see is putting it on and then not fastening it--it's like holding the seat belt over you instead of fastening it!

Very stupid. Very passive aggressive.

Or the real idiots that pay the extra for a full face helmet and perch it on top of their heads with the chin piece level with their foreheads.