Beach Restaurants

jamesjdaly

I forget where I heard or read about the council have already, or are going to, move all the deckchairs, umbrellas and restaurants on HH beach. I sincerely hope that this was just either a bad rumour or a shitty joke!!

Can anyone confirm or deny this please as it would be such a shame.

Thanks.

I don't know if it's related but there have been rumours that the town council was going to close the pier restaurants north of the Hilton since before i moved here 4 years ago. However, as the pier restaurants are owned by some influential folk (including, it is said, senior cops), the closures remain a rumour, denying HH a decent seafront promenade.

Maybe the same thing applies to the places you're talking about.

Yeah, Troopie. I really can't remember where I read/heard it. I am talking about the cluster of umbrellas to the left of the steps (between the Hilton and the Central Sofitel beachfronts). As my wife and I aren't great night owls, she lets me get plastered on the beach during the day and back to bed at teatime!!!

(We're both in our 40s!! :o )

Edited by jamesjdaly

I am talking about the cluster of restaurants with deckchairs/umbrellas between the Hilton beachfront and the steps leading from the Tourist Police building.

1 Are they still there?

2 Where is Ban Kwai?

3 Why, Jean? (seriously!)

Thanks

Edited by jamesjdaly

Restaurants,bars, etc on the beach are illegal in whole Thailand. No exceptions. The beach is public and it is not allowed to be used for business. It is also very unclear where the beach actually starts when there is no land bordering it. In this case it is very clear where the public beach starts.

Of course it happens almost everywhere in Thailand but it is not possible without some money changing hands.

As slowly things are being enforced in Thailand, and nobody knows when and how strict and how random, some of the restaurant 'owners' choose to sell their business before they are removed, cashing in on the gullibility of others (some might be lucky and can get a decent living out of it).

They are squatters and because it is the beach they will never get any rights on the land.