Pad Leader Sondhi Limthongkul Shot

LawnGnome

Sondhi of PAD survives shootings

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 17/04/2009 at 07:51 AM

Car of Sondhi Limthongkul, a core leader of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), was attacked early Friday around Bangkhumprom intersection, near the ASTV station.

Mr Sondhi sustained minor injuries, but his driver was in critical condition, according to Manager website.

Full Bangkok Post article

Thank Goodness he's still alive. I fear what public reaction would have been if it turned out differently. Thank you red shirts, for your continuing efforts to destroy our country...

I dont get y u are so against red shirts and support the yellows, essentailly they have so much in common, both destroyed tourism in thailand, both commited acts that i consider acts of terrorism. They are both the same type of people...terrorist who should be in jail

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course there is elements very capable of using violence. Wasnt there a bomb campaign just after the 2006 coup?

Thaksin is prime suspect, but his also a very convenient suspect, and thats when I get suspicios of plots. There is more groups at play then yellow and red.

sadly you reap what you sow in this country more than most other countries, am I the only one that is surprised it has taken so long for this to happen? I feel if the legal process was moving quicker in regards to this fool then this would not have happened.

So who did it? reds, yellows, blues, army, police, dems? all of these are possible when you spend the past 3 years collecting enemies

Agreed, but I don't think it will matter "who" did it, and retaliation will happen where ever the yellows want to see a threat.

At this point, it is irrelevant who did it. Thaksin personally needs to condemn it, or this mess will get worse. If that is what he wants, so be it. I've always thought there is no way to settle this but through the deaths of the puppet masters. I just always hoped I was wrong. Now I just hope the murders happen quickly so we can get back to some sense of normalcy.

But failure by Thaksin to publicly condemn this atrocity right now is just as bad as having pulled the trigger himself. Like it or not, he is the defacto leader of the red thugs, and he needs to make a statement about this. If he supports it or says nothing, then he and the rest of the red movement deserve whatever retribution comes to them, even if they didn't do it.

I can't believe how some of the red supporters on this forum make such a big deal about how the PAD filled the terminal. They stormed the airport and the AOT closed it. Flights were re-routed and some even continued to operate at U-tapao. After a few days SUV opened and resumed operations. I don't think they blew up any planes. I don't even think they attacked any passengers. I don't think they even set a fire on the premises. This was last year and its time to get over it.

But to blame the PAD for the events unfolding the past few days is just preposterous. So does blocking the airport allows the right for the reds to wreck havoc in BKK and cause turmoil to everyday BKK citizens? So its ok to hijack a LPG tanker and threathen to blow it up? Is it ok now to burn buses? Does it warrant cause for an assasination attempt? Most of you educated in logic should know that this slippery slope is a fallacy.

The problem with many people in this world is blind faith, acting without thinking. But to turn yourselves into public enemies and terrorists is not the way to do it. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Many people don't like the PAD or Sondhi, many don't like Abhsit, but many people despise the outlaws, terrosrist, and thugs even more.

Well said, mdechgan. :o

If this wasn't a scare tactic then the shooters must be really pathetic or novices. I know the Ak-47 might be hard to handle and a bit inaccurate but. They could easily have planned it out better or followed him until he got out of his car. It might even have been better to just hire a motorcycle with a pistol. I think this attempt was meant to be very public.

I can't believe how some of the red supporters on this forum make such a big deal about how the PAD filled the terminal. They stormed the airport and the AOT closed it. Flights were re-routed and some even continued to operate at U-tapao. After a few days SUV opened and resumed operations. I don't think they blew up any planes. I don't even think they attacked any passengers. I don't think they even set a fire on the premises. This was last year and its time to get over it.

But to blame the PAD for the events unfolding the past few days is just preposterous. So does blocking the airport allows the right for the reds to wreck havoc in BKK and cause turmoil to everyday BKK citizens? So its ok to hijack a LPG tanker and threathen to blow it up? Is it ok now to burn buses? Does it warrant cause for an assasination attempt? Most of you educated in logic should know that this slippery slope is a fallacy.

The problem with many people in this world is blind faith, acting without thinking. But to turn yourselves into public enemies and terrorists is not the way to do it. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Many people don't like the PAD or Sondhi, many don't like Abhsit, but many people despise the outlaws, terrosrist, and thugs even more.

I suppose its easy to say the airport closure caused no harm if you were not personally affected, however many people and businesses were so it did cause harm.

also its wrong to say they never caused the closure, the fact that they blocked the road to the airport forced the AOT to clse for the safety of passenger, as well s going into the control tower and filling the terminal with people made sure it would be impossible for the airport to operate. the AOT were forced to close so yes, the pad did close the airport

If they used M-16's, doesnt suprise me that he survived. 5.56 doesnt have that much penetrating power. AK-47 is a different story but there have been conflicting reports by the media. Remembering that this was early morning in poor light with a moving vehicle so im sure a vast majority of rounds missed.

You obviously don't know sh@t about weapons.....try 7.62mm/M16...the weapon just about every Marine carried in Vietnam..

First thought came to mind was the reds trying to kill Sondhi. If you think so, you're too naive.

Yes, Sondhi most likely shot himself in the head in order to discredit the obviously peaceful reds.

Is Sondhi REALY Ok ?? I find the reports difficult to belive If he was shot in the head.

Has been reported he is Speeking to people. But Not confirmed ???

No Visitors. What About His Family ??

A glancing, off angle blow,

after going through a door post and slowing apreciably,

would easily stay top of skull and not enter the brain.

It would cause bleeding,

but not brain damage if the pressure is relieved quickly.

I wish him a speedy recovery, and early retirement.

At this point, it is irrelevant who did it. Thaksin personally needs to condemn it, or this mess will get worse. If that is what he wants, so be it. I've always thought there is no way to settle this but through the deaths of the puppet masters. I just always hoped I was wrong. Now I just hope the murders happen quickly so we can get back to some sense of normalcy.

But failure by Thaksin to publicly condemn this atrocity right now is just as bad as having pulled the trigger himself. Like it or not, he is the defacto leader of the red thugs, and he needs to make a statement about this. If he supports it or says nothing, then he and the rest of the red movement deserve whatever retribution comes to them, even if they didn't do it.

Seriously though, what are the odds of Mr. T condemning violence? He could have tried a few days ago.

Ditto

Whilst the PAD are not directly responsible for the outbreak of civil disobedience and todays assassination attempt they are indeed responisble for creating the conditions for this to be allowed to happen.

PAD and their supporters refused to accept the ballot box results from the last two elections and effectively got rid of the government of the day by blockading the airport and parliament and rendering the govt ineffective.

blank rounds ?????- even the BBC made comments about this - as the bkk reporter even saw them loading live rounds - and the army spokeman -- claimed they were only using blanks -- ya sure -- saw these images myself --- i just hate to think what sort of tit for tap is now going to take place -- as OP commented earlier - this could lead to an underground civil war between these top groups -- but there is also the strong possibility of outside influences - and of course every one will blame taksin and the reds -- lets see --

I dont know if this is true but i heard on tv that the live rounds were only used to fire over the protesters heads, however blanks were used to fire at the protesters to scare them off if the come too close. Personally i dont understand why they dont just use blank rounds only, there could have been an accident. At this point i think it doesnt have to be thaksin, i think even civilians are ready to kill some of theses terrorist leaders themselves. I myself hope to see both the red and yellow shirt leaders die in some bad accident.

dont forget to see thaksins interview with CNN, hilarious when the CNN interviewer asked thaksin whether he would come back to thailand to face possible jail time. LOL

Sondhi of PAD survives shootings

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 17/04/2009 at 07:51 AM

Car of Sondhi Limthongkul, a core leader of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), was attacked early Friday around Bangkhumprom intersection, near the ASTV station.

Mr Sondhi sustained minor injuries, but his driver was in critical condition, according to Manager website.

Full Bangkok Post article

Thank Goodness he's still alive. I fear what public reaction would have been if it turned out differently. Thank you red shirts, for your continuing efforts to destroy our country...

I dont get y u are so against red shirts and support the yellows, essentailly they have so much in common, both destroyed tourism in thailand, both commited acts that i consider acts of terrorism. They are both the same type of people...terrorist who should be in jail

I agree and second the motion...

I suppose its easy to say the airport closure caused no harm if you were not personally affected, however many people and businesses were so it did cause harm.

also its wrong to say they never caused the closure, the fact that they blocked the road to the airport forced the AOT to clse for the safety of passenger, as well s going into the control tower and filling the terminal with people made sure it would be impossible for the airport to operate. the AOT were forced to close so yes, the pad did close the airport

Ok we will give you that one that the PAD closed the airport.

But that is not the point, it was nothing compared to the stampede at the Royal Cliff where many diplomates were to be endangered, even the PM possibly kidnapped. The damage done to the premises.

Many people were affected due to the airport closure, e.g. my flight was to arrive in BKK on TG795 Nov 28th. Wasn't a big deal I just delayed my flight.

But to cause havoc in BKK is another matter. Most BKK citizens don't really fly in and out of the airport everyday. However most do drive, more even take buses to work. It gets even more stressful when a LPG tanker is parked infront of your house or store ready to be blown up.

It is apparent that most of you have never lived 'out in the sticks' in Thailand. They are not openly available, but AK's and M-16's are not impossible to come by...albeit at a price that would deter the average red-shirted farmer.

If the gunmen managed to get off 100 rounds without jamming they probably weren't using M-16's

Ditto

I blame the PAD for this because if they blockaded the airport and they were sent to jail, the reds will not beleive that they had the right to turn bangkok into a war zone. But since the yellows commited acts of terrorism and got away with it, the reds beleive that they could get away with what they have done too. I am not saying i condone the acts of the reds, but i will not condone the acts of the yellows either. I can see that some of u are yellow supporters, but i am not, both the yellows and the reds are hypocrits who cant stop destroying this country. THey say that the politicians buy votes but i see them [both of them] paying people to come and protest.

Whilst the PAD are not directly responsible for the outbreak of civil disobedience and todays assassination attempt they are indeed responisble for creating the conditions for this to be allowed to happen.

PAD and their supporters refused to accept the ballot box results from the last two elections and effectively got rid of the government of the day by blockading the airport and parliament and rendering the govt ineffective.

Blatantly incorrect the PAD didn't remove Somchai, the courts did.

The airport take over MAY or may not have sped up

an already in process dissolution of PPP for IT'S OWN ACTIONS.

That is what removed Somchai.

The conditions for ALL of this were not from PAD, but from Thaksin.

He called the boycotted snap election after the hue and cry about the

Temasek / Singapore purchase of Shin corp and NATIONAL ASSET Shinsat.

THAKSIN is the SINGLE figure central to this WHOLE debacle from start to finish.

Had he NOT cornholed Sondhi in business so many years ago,

he would not have left so motivated a media savy enemy, bent for revenge at all costs.

Without Thaksin this would not be coming to pass; End of story.

Edited by animatic

As much as I can recall, PAD did not protest on ground of rigged elections and corruption, but on the fact that Samak and Somchai's governments indicated attempts to amend the law so that the court cannot sentence on Thaksin's illegal land purchase case.

But Thaksin wanted the public to take this as if PAD were against the election result as you just put it.

[ to my recollection the yellows didn't shoot anyone, or set any fires, or vandalize any public or private property. Get real.

clip showing PAD guards firing guns at unarmed anti-padders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbnFPhExOTw

I stand somewhat corrected, but I think my main point still stands. The yellows did not cause nearly the level of violent confrontation the the reds did. Nor were any of the yellow leaders calling for violent "revolution" as was the red leader and hero Thaksin. The reds set fire to buses, confronted and threatened residents of the areas in which they were blocking roads, killed two people who were simply trying to protect the market in which they worked, viciously attacked the PMs car, seriously injuring the driver, to mention only a few incidents, and now have apparently tried to assassinate one of their opponents, Sondhi. This is on a completely different scale from whatever acts the yellows commited, in my opinion.

Because the army and police did not oppose them !!! Of course there wasnt the conflict when the security forces didnt lift a finger to stop them,

Anybody who thinks this is a trick to discredit the reds should probably have their own heads checked for bullets.

Thankfully it's Chamlong, not Chalerm, on the side of the yellows - I'm guessing he'll be voicing a non-violent reaction.

Thaksin's "democracy" in action.

Regardless of who is responsible for this act the fact remains that the yellow shirts are the ones who created the opportunity for this sort of action to happen.

It was the yellow shirts who refused to accept the democratically elected government and flouted the rule of law in their airport and parliament blockade.

And subsequently managed to depose the elected government.

Instead of organising themselves as a political party in attempt to win power thru the ballot box they seized political power illegitimately thus giving the red shirts plenty of traction with their current actions.

Unfortunately for Thailand it is the average person who is going to suffer and it seems even more disturbing that this whole situtation is heading into more troubled waters with an extended period of internal political instability marked by increasing outbursts of violence.

The portents dont look good at all.

And again and again and again....the courts dissolved PPP and not only them for massive vote buying.

A democratic elected government is elected WITHOUT vote buying.

Yes! Again and again and again. The dems were throwing money about at election time too. This has been pointed out many times, but seems some people just don't listen. Maybe the dems are a little smarter at covering their tracks.

Can't you see this is what people are complaining about. One rule does not fit all!

Strange coincidences.

Thaksin's Sister and daughter left Thailand for Singapore.

Thaksin yesterday flew out of Dubai to an "un-named African Country" on his new Nicaraguan passport.

I hope he remembers that what goes around comes around.

On another point ... 5 minutes of sustained firing from an AK 47 and an M16.................only 100 rounds ?????

I cannot claim to be ex-SAS or Navy Seals as so many of our compatriots around here, but that doesn't sound right to me.

And I hope the old guy recovers, but maybe now he really should think of retirement.

This is exactly what I'm trying to get at. The logic of cause and effect does not work. Some can argue then that if Thaksin did not get involved in politics in the first place then the PAD would not have to close the airport.

Now that he's of no further use, the power behind Abhisit may want to tidy up things. I wouldn't automatically assume Thaksin is behind this.

ya i totally agree with what you said ... don blame other people before get enough eveidence

I just saw footage of Sondhi walking around after the shooting, obviously blood everywhere but it could be a cut from the glass.

If anyone was shot in the head, they would not be walking around.

I find it fishy, i really do.

Dr TV 'Remote-doctor-by-watching-news' Quincy is on duty. Thank God you are around to tell us how things are!

Strange coincidences.

Thaksin's Sister and daughter left Thailand for Singapore.

Thaksin yesterday flew out of Dubai to an "un-named African Country" on his new Nicaraguan passport.

I hope he remembers that what goes around comes around.

On another point ... 5 minutes of sustained firing from an AK 47 and an M16.................only 100 rounds ?????

I cannot claim to be ex-SAS or Navy Seals as so many of our compatriots around here, but that doesn't sound right to me.

And I hope the old guy recovers, but maybe now he really should think of retirement.

Yes I doubt very much it was 5 minutes, even the thai police would have had time to waken from their slumber and got to the scene, 5 minutes is a long time in an event like this

If they used M-16's, doesnt suprise me that he survived. 5.56 doesnt have that much penetrating power. AK-47 is a different story but there have been conflicting reports by the media. Remembering that this was early morning in poor light with a moving vehicle so im sure a vast majority of rounds missed.

You obviously don't know sh@t about weapons.....try 7.62mm/M16...the weapon just about every Marine carried in Vietnam..

hmm last time i checked sks/ak uses 7.62x39mm M43, considerably larger than the m16's 5.56x45mm nato round, anyways are you guys serious about the incident being staged, dont you think its time to get over the conspiracy theories constantly cranked out on this site, the guys who did this screwed up and didnt kill him, failed attempts happen all over the world.

At this point in time the blame is on all parties, red, yellow, everyone. No one here is acting in the best interest of the country, especialy taksin, too bad the poor are going to be the ones left to suffer as usual, once their leaders get what they want and no longer have a need for their services

No, the courts got rid of them due to election fraud.

PADs protest only helped blocking the parliament from sneaking through an amnesty-bill for a bunch of criminals.

And I am sure you protest that too.