Tourism Sector Begs End To Emergency Decree

george

Tourism sector begs end to emergency decree

BANGKOK: -- To convince tourists to visit Thailand, the tourism sector appealed to the government to lift the emergency decree and speed up national reconciliation.

Representatives of the Federation of Thai Travel Agencies, an umbrella organisation of eight industry associations, called on Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva Thursday to discuss the plight of the industry in the aftermath of recent political upheaval.

Apichart Sangkha-ari, Chairman of the Association of Thai Travel Agents, said the meeting with the prime minister was scheduled ahead of the federation’s meeting because the Mr. Abhisit is gravely concerned about the impact of the riots on tourism. The premier explained the necessity of retaining the emergency decree to ensure a smooth transition to peace.

“We understand and support the prime minister, but we do not want the emergency decree to remain in place for too long because it will hurt the industry. To this, the prime minister said as soon as the situation is back to normal—which should be within a week or ten days at most, the decree will go,” Mr. Apichart told a press conference on Thursday.

Mr. Apichart said the operators also asked the prime minister to kick off the process of reconciliation and ‘decolourisation’ as the chasm between the yellow- and red-clad factions is hurting the image of Thailand. He cited the travel advisory by the Japanese government asking its citizens to refrain from wearing yellow or red shirts for the sake of personal safety and security.

The federation chairman added that he and his peers believe that the official target of 14

million visitors to Thailand this year is not likely to be met. A stable political climate could best bring about 12 million, yet any further political storm unleashes, the arrival figure for this year could well be down to single digit, he said.

Meanwhile, Prakit Chinamornpong, Chairman of the Thai Hotel Association, said some five star and super-luxury hotels are seeing only a five per cent occupancy rate, and many are averaging at an unprecedented 10 per cent. If this persists, at least 10 per cent of the workforce or about 5,000 jobs will be made redundant, he said.

On Friday, tourism sector representatives will meet with Deputy Prime Minister Kobsak Sabhavasu to discuss how to revive the industry.

-- TNA 2009-04-17

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably too little to late. tourism here will be fuct for a while now. a coup, airport closures and the latest protests broadcast all over cnn and bbc showing buses on fire and the military clashing with the protesters. would you come here for a holiday?

A stable political climate could best bring about 12 million (visitors), yet any further political storm unleashes, the arrival figure for this year could well be down to single digit, he said.

-- TNA 2009-04-17

what, 1-9 tourists! even I think that's a low estimate.

It's far too late to be worrying about flushing tourism down the toilet now. I've just had a whole bunch of international visitors cancel because they were i) afraid of the rampaging mob, ii) concerned that the airport may be seized again and they wouldn't be able to get home, and iii) aren't prepared to put their kids at risk by bringing them to what is being displayed as a war zone in the media overseas.

I had a friend come visit me and he decided to pay an extra 500 quid to fly back after 2 days instead of the planned 2 weeks.... due to fear..... sad.gif
since you live here and know the situation well enough, and you manage to let him do that, you musta feed some bad shiet to his head.

The emergency law is the smallest problem...

Tsunami (already forgotten)

Airport closer

crazy visa laws (many problem visit other countries and get the 2 weeks only)

pollution (I know several people who don't come because of it)

canceled ASEAN meeting

burning buses army with guns in Bangkok

shootings on the street (lets see how big the Sondhi shooting gets in the newspapers)

I think all over Thailand could be emergency law forever and it would have less impact than any of the other points.

It's far too late to be worrying about flushing tourism down the toilet now. I've just had a whole bunch of international visitors cancel because they were i) afraid of the rampaging mob, ii) concerned that the airport may be seized again and they wouldn't be able to get home, and iii) aren't prepared to put their kids at risk by bringing them to what is being displayed as a war zone in the media overseas.

it may sound funny for an Expat who is living here. But everyone who is thinking that is overreaction: Think you read and see the same pictures about a country in Africa....would you go there for holidays if you have other choices?

probably too little to late. tourism here will be fuct for a while now. a coup, airport closures and the latest protests broadcast all over cnn and bbc showing buses on fire and the military clashing with the protesters. would you come here for a holiday?

Come on, mate, don't blame Thailand for all this - it's because of the Nicaraguans, it's all their fault, they've been plotting something like this for a long time.

I did not follow what the US media put out on this latest uprising but it must have been pretty bad. My friends back there are urging me

to get the F out of here and think I am crazy for staying.

Well who would come vacation here then?

Pattaya is packed with farangs now, mostly hooligan/kee nok types for song kran. But i think after song kran tourism is gonna nosedive

bigtime!

This Emergency decree is affecting my work too! We are not allowed to turn on our sirens or lightbars when going to accidents during this time! All we can do is flash our lights or turn on the hazzards! Its downright dangerous and many rescue workers are staying off work because of it! Not a good time to have an accident! Expect ETA of ambulances to triple at best! Stay home, be safe...

I did not follow what the US media put out on this latest uprising but it must have been pretty bad. My friends back there are urging me

Pattaya is packed with farangs now, mostly hooligan/kee nok types for song kran. But i think after song kran tourism is gonna nosedive

bigtime!

the sextourists will always come, but the families will not.

the economic grow this year?? Any forecasts? -4? -6?

Something is still going on so they don't end the emergency decree yet.

Don't underestimate people's power.

Yes.

Still a need for emergency decree, this is slowed by not stopped.

Someone for your side of the color spectrum tried to kill Sondhi this AM,

rather than wait for the courts to grind along.

True Democracy Red Shirt Style!

So this could be a bellweather of 'Life with Thaksin as Dear Leader',

and Red shirts and Chalerm running the legislative.

Edited by animatic

bigtime!

Nothing really alarming in terms of coverage. Of course they used the most exciting videos of tropps and the buses burning.

However the frequency was higher than I've seen on a Thai story since the tsunami. Yahoo had it more than once with updates and things. Cable news and even business news covered it. It was mainly the frequency.

I do think there is so much disgust with Washington DC now that protestors taking to the streets touches a cord these days.

I had a friend come visit me and he decided to pay an extra 500 quid to fly back after 2 days instead of the planned 2 weeks.... due to fear..... :o

Well that was just foolishness on his part.

This stuff is pretty localized

and great swaths of the country have absolutely NO PROBLEMS.

The policy will be as always, "problem, what problem?" as the government refuse to admit that there is a problem with tourism or that tourism matters anyway. as times and money gets hard landlords will demand more, more businesses decides why bother and more out of work. Just watch, there will not be a problem

I have a friend in HCMC that arranges tours for Vietnamese to come to Bangkok for shopping, she hasn't been able to get a group together for over a month - last one went to KL for shopping, almost 400 people that have "Mahk Mahk Baht" to spend.........can't blame them can You??? Why take a chance on Bangkok when for the same prices you can go to KL............. :o

I have a friend in HCMC that arranges tours for Vietnamese to come to Bangkok for shopping, she hasn't been able to get a group together for over a month - last one went to KL for shopping, almost 400 people that have "Mahk Mahk Baht" to spend.........can't blame them can You??? Why take a chance on Bangkok when for the same prices you can go to KL............. :D

Meanwhile, those of us who live here continue to call for "Buleah! Peel me a grape". Life is pretty good for us retirees in the land of smiles! Let the working class worry about their holidays, let them eat cake! :o

The emergency law is the smallest problem...

Tsunami (already forgotten)

Airport closer

crazy visa laws (many problem visit other countries and get the 2 weeks only)

pollution (I know several people who don't come because of it)

canceled ASEAN meeting

burning buses army with guns in Bangkok

shootings on the street (lets see how big the Sondhi shooting gets in the newspapers)

I think all over Thailand could be emergency law forever and it would have less impact than any of the other points.

wow i finally found out how to "quote' on this forum!! press the quote button and then the reply one after! i been pressing the quote button only to no avail since 5 years with nothing happening!

anyway to keep to topic, i think that the crazy visa laws are ridiculous too and also the fact that they change their minds every 3 weeks and make a different law. The main problem with Thai politics and law is that they keep chopping and changing. If they dont know whats best for them then they should do what other less proud countries do and allow for international assistance such as UNO to come in (not that im into the NWO either).. but they think they have to resolve all that things with thai people alone. This is impossible because Thai people are in schism and cant even agree between each other . Where is Rome today?? not in the Roman empire.. its in Italy! so where is Siam and Ayuttaya kingdoms? also gone. this is what is happening to Thailand. In 50 years there will be no Thailand if this continues. When the folk begin to eat each other up and estroy each other then a cultur or country will fall into entropy and disappear from the face of the earth. I hope no though as my mum and brother are coming here to live bringing about 150 million baht here eventually and i dont want to see them lose everything.

I too have lost many clients who have written to say they are afraid to come because of the situation.

Lastly on visas, i went to Laos and got 2 tourist visas for free because of the situaiton (visas are free right now) - i suggsted that instead of giving free visas that they just decide once and for all whether to give 30 days on land entry or 15 or 60 or whatever they decide and then stick to their guns. They never wait long enough when they make a new law to see the results.. they change their minds and the laws every time is doesnt work in 5 minutes. This makes people wary as you might buy a visa and the law changes in mid flight.. Unstable economy?? i would say "Unstable minds" more so.

I fly regularly in and out of Thailand and after the PADPort fiasco the airport in the beginning was almost empty, then it increased to I would say 1/2 of previous traffic maybe a bit more, this is not helping the tourism.

So then we got pictures and live broadcast the media made look like downtown Belfast, I would expect the tourism to plummet further, and with today's 100's of rounds from assault rifle in Bangkok...

Probably only the s-e-x tourists and expats living here will come like before the tourism boom, or maybe they un-peg the Baht to the Dollar which now would drop it to the famous levels we had around 50 Baht to the Dollar, then it would be so cheap to go here again tourism would probably jump back up again.

So keep or not keep the emergency decree, I think for the moment it does not matter. Nobody want to go there for a while anyway. If they need it to root out the rest of the problems use it, if they really managed to get Toxin extradited from Dubai they'll need it when he lands and want to make a big riot I can imagine. And until Thailand becomes more stable we will see decrease in tourism, on top of the global downturn the redshirts decided to put some extra on it to chase out more investors, expats and tourists, which this country is dependent on.

I hope the order will be restored and this bullshit ends soon for the sake of the people all of these morons claim to represent.

Come on, mate, don't blame Thailand for all this - it's because of the Nicaraguans, it's all their fault, they've been plotting something like this for a long time.

I always wondered who those people with little bells on their hats were in chiang mai! so they are Nicaraguans huh?

The policy will be as always, "problem, what problem?" as the government refuse to admit that there is a problem with tourism or that tourism matters anyway. as times and money gets hard landlords will demand more, more businesses decides why bother and more out of work. Just watch, there will not be a problem

They just refuse to admit to any wrongdoing (head in the sand). That is a major problem. You have to understand the nature of a problem to solve it.

Civil war in the streets aside, if Thailand is going to have any hope of restoring tourism it must abrogate the anti-tourism visa rule changes that have taken place over the past 9 years.

Most of the changes were stimulated, not by a need to enhance security (the official explanation), but by a growing xenophobia and misguided emphasis on "quality tourism."

Thaksin was the person behind most of the visa rule changes--even after he "left office."

It is critical for the govt. to stop focusing on quality tourism (a highly offensive phrase) and start focusing on tourism in general: low, middle, high end.

The tourism industry is like a large corporation. In most countries, it is structured to serve all income levels. Certainly this is true in the USA, the world's top and most successful tourism destination.

To take an imaginary example from the corporate world. Toyota manufactures automobiles for low, middle, and high income buyers.

High income buyers make up a small fraction of their sales. Why? Because most people are not rich. The bulk of their sales come from middle and lower income buyers.

So, they wisely target all three income groups: low, middle, and high income. What would happen if an idiot took over and suddenly decided to focus on "quality car buyers?" THEY WOULD GO OUT OF BUSINESS!

And the same can be said for Thailand's tourism industry. By focusing on high income tourists, it is going out of business (at least a very large segment of it). [The rich will always flock to top hotels in Phuket.]

Prior to TOXIN, the tourism industry was thriving. All tourists were wanted, low, middle, high income. The tourism industry prospered and so did all of the associated industries: hotels, ticket sales, hotel supplies, etc.

And the visa rules fostered tourism. Now they do the opposite.

OK.........enough said. Here come the "hand clappers" and "spin mongers."

Something is still going on so they don't end the emergency decree yet.

Don't underestimate people's power.

Yes.

Still a need for emergency decree, this is slowed by not stopped.

Someone for your side of the color spectrum tried to kill Sondhi this AM,

rather than wait for the courts to grind along.

True Democracy Red Shirt Style!

So this could be a bellweather of 'Life with Thaksin as Dear Leader',

and Red shirts and Chalerm running the legislative.

Bellweather? Can somebody helpme out please. My english is not so good. I thought it was bellwether.