Tourism Sector Begs End To Emergency Decree

george

Tourism is hurting big time in the North here. Resort occupancy rates were way down this Songkran. Many bookings were cancelled. Our friends, who own one of the main resorts in the area, are talking about asking for loans, to survive.

In previous years, when we had our own restaurant and guesthouse open, we remained fairly busy until May. Right now, it's dead around here.

Driving back from Rayong to Chiang Mai on Wednesday, on main highway #1, also told the story. There was hardly any traffic for a holiday week.

Rayong itself, during Songkran, wasn't very busy either. There were many empty chairs on the beach and hotels were not full.

Remember, when Countries like Canada, the US and Germany, along with about 20 other Countries, issue travel warnings, it will keep many regular tourists from coming, because if they go, most of their travel insurances will become void, if they run into problems. They may also have a harder time, getting help from their respective embassies here, if in fact, they manage to reach them during a civil war or a major uprising.

I believe, that once travel warnings are issued by their country, they can also ask for a full refund from the airlines, if their flights are already booked.

So yes, this Red Demonstration really hurt the Thai economy. When tourists see an Asian Summit overrun, in a city that is filled mainly with foreigners, they pretty much know, that they can't expect the local Government to protect them.

When they see violent Red mobs throwing gasoline bombs and setting buses on fire, it doesn't exactly make them think of Thailand as the "Land of Smiles".

Seeing soldiers running through the streets, firing live ammunition into the air, might make them wonder where that ammunition might land (maybe somebodies head? Duh)

Luckily, we closed our business last year and we are moving to Canada next month, with a business in place already, but I feel for those, who are stuck with their existing businesses, having to live by the whims of crazy demonstrators and incompetent Governments.

There just seems to be no end to it here, in Thailand...crazy visa laws, yellow domonstrations, red demonstrations (both followed up with State of Emergencies), constant changes in foreign business laws, changes to reporting for long term expats, assassination attempts... Maybe they don't want our money. Well, they certainly won't have mine after this month.

Part of me is sad to leave, after living here for about 8 years now, but a bigger part of me is glad...

I can only eat so much rice, have so many people tell me that they know more about electric, building or car repairs than me (while screwing up my house and vehicles) or have (Thai) English teachers with a Masters Degree teaching my daughter, who has to correct them on a daily basis.

It was fun living in a Banana Republic for a while and enjoying the dream, but eventually reality sets in and the search for intelligent life on this planet begins again ;-)

Anyways, have fun guys. May all of your dreams come true and may Thailand be everything that you hoped it to be, when you came here.

Have fun, stay safe and don't take it too serious....Most Thais don't ;-)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing about "backpackers".........they often come from middle-class and sometimes even wealth families. They are normally young........on an adventure.

Treat them badly and they return home and tell Mom and Dad and friends DON'T VISIT THAILAND! So M&D and friends don't visit Thailand and spend money at the upscale hotels.

Why can't the people who run the show grasp this?

The tourism policies in most advanced countries are structured to welcome backpackers........Australia and USA are two of many examples. Why? Because it is good business..........it creates wealth.........it creates jobs........etc.

But nooooooooooooooooooooooooo...........in Thailand backpackers are seen as vermin. Good luck with that policy. :o

To be fair, the "backpackers are scum" policy is primarily a Thaksin/TRT/PPP policy. Not sure what the current government's policy is, but since Thaksin has managed to f*** up Thailand so badly, I'd say they will take anybody they can get, and gladly.

Will this view and outlook which I agree upon with you, be shared by the head of the Immigration Division as well..?

I got the feeling right now they try their very best to show the opposite attitude.

Absolutely not.........the view detailed above is not shared by top officials at Stooge Central.

For some reason that I can't fathom, the current govt. has done nothing to stop them from hurting Thai tourism.......more specifically the large and economically most important segment of the industry that supports low to middle income tourists.

The most recent policy change was the "we will only give you 15 days" rule after doing a visa run--itself a stupid practice because you should be able to get a long term extension at any immigration checkpoint without having to leave the country.

Now people at Stooge Central are selectively enforcing an old rule (rarely enforced in the past) that states you must have an airline ticket in and out of Thailand prior to being issued a tourist visa.

This rule stops some people from coming to Thailand and hurts travel agencies inside Thailand who used to sell outbound tickets to foreigners.

These two rules hinder travel by people who like to travel without a set agenda--people like backpackers who use Thailand as a hub to travel around the region.

Some people are just coming to the conclusion that it is just not worth it to travel to Thailand. And Vietnam, Malaysia, lao, and Cambodia are saying "thank you Stooge Central."

Tourism is hurting big time in the North here. Resort occupancy rates were way down this Songkran. Many bookings were cancelled. Our friends, who own one of the main resorts in the area, are talking about asking for loans, to survive.

In previous years, when we had our own restaurant and guesthouse open, we remained fairly busy until May. Right now, it's dead around here.

Driving back from Rayong to Chiang Mai on Wednesday, on main highway #1, also told the story. There was hardly any traffic for a holiday week.

Rayong itself, during Songkran, wasn't very busy either. There were many empty chairs on the beach and hotels were not full.

Remember, when Countries like Canada, the US and Germany, along with about 20 other Countries, issue travel warnings, it will keep many regular tourists from coming, because if they go, most of their travel insurances will become void, if they run into problems. They may also have a harder time, getting help from their respective embassies here, if in fact, they manage to reach them during a civil war or a major uprising.

I believe, that once travel warnings are issued by their country, they can also ask for a full refund from the airlines, if their flights are already booked.

So yes, this Red Demonstration really hurt the Thai economy. When tourists see an Asian Summit overrun, in a city that is filled mainly with foreigners, they pretty much know, that they can't expect the local Government to protect them.

When they see violent Red mobs throwing gasoline bombs and setting buses on fire, it doesn't exactly make them think of Thailand as the "Land of Smiles".

Seeing soldiers running through the streets, firing live ammunition into the air, might make them wonder where that ammunition might land (maybe somebodies head? Duh)

Luckily, we closed our business last year and we are moving to Canada next month, with a business in place already, but I feel for those, who are stuck with their existing businesses, having to live by the whims of crazy demonstrators and incompetent Governments.

There just seems to be no end to it here, in Thailand...crazy visa laws, yellow domonstrations, red demonstrations (both followed up with State of Emergencies), constant changes in foreign business laws, changes to reporting for long term expats, assassination attempts... Maybe they don't want our money. Well, they certainly won't have mine after this month.

Part of me is sad to leave, after living here for about 8 years now, but a bigger part of me is glad...

I can only eat so much rice, have so many people tell me that they know more about electric, building or car repairs than me (while screwing up my house and vehicles) or have (Thai) English teachers with a Masters Degree teaching my daughter, who has to correct them on a daily basis.

It was fun living in a Banana Republic for a while and enjoying the dream, but eventually reality sets in and the search for intelligent life on this planet begins again ;-)

Anyways, have fun guys. May all of your dreams come true and may Thailand be everything that you hoped it to be, when you came here.

Go with God!

Good Luck! Give my regards to Maple Ridge and Vancouver :o

One thing about "backpackers".........they often come from middle-class and sometimes even wealth families. They are normally young........on an adventure.

Treat them badly and they return home and tell Mom and Dad and friends DON'T VISIT THAILAND! So M&D and friends don't visit Thailand and spend money at the upscale hotels.

Why can't the people who run the show grasp this?

The tourism policies in most advanced countries are structured to welcome backpackers........Australia and USA are two of many examples. Why? Because it is good business..........it creates wealth.........it creates jobs........etc.

But nooooooooooooooooooooooooo...........in Thailand backpackers are seen as vermin. Good luck with that policy. :o

Exactly. You have to cater to all tourists, if you want to remain competitive. That means welcoming backpackers, as well as creating a safe and comfortable environment for conventions, seminars, etc., regular and medical tourists.

Unfriendly visa laws and things, like not being able to protect an international summit in a resort city, after having advance warning of protests, are just a few of the things, where Thailand is failing.

Maybe, if the people in charge (both past and present) would get their head out of their a**es and start listening to outside advise, they might just become on of the best economies anywhere. Then again, when they are raised to believe that they are better than anyone else, one can hardly blame them, for thinking that they know better than the rest of us :-(

Good Luck! Give my regards to Maple Ridge and Vancouver :o

Funny you mention MR. That will be my first stop, Campbell River is home :-). I'll think about you, when I get off at the rainy airport ;-)

Forgot to mention...when Thai people get a tourist visa to Canada, it's usually good for six month and not too hard to get an extension.

Edited by kurtgruen

Yeah, Thais keep banging on about how they've never been conquored but it's happening one passport at a time! What was it some clever Chinaman said? 'A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step'! That's already been taken :o

They weren't conquered by the Japanese either in 1940 - they sold out before the Japanese had time....

Exactly. You have to cater to all tourists, if you want to remain competitive. That means welcoming backpackers, as well as creating a safe and comfortable environment for conventions, seminars, etc., regular and medical tourists.

Unfriendly visa laws and things, like not being able to protect an international summit in a resort city, after having advance warning of protests, are just a few of the things, where Thailand is failing.

Maybe, if the people in charge (both past and present) would get their head out of their a**es and start listening to outside advise, they might just become on of the best economies anywhere. Then again, when they are raised to believe that they are better than anyone else, one can hardly blame them, for thinking that they know better than the rest of us :-(

So we can expect a new initiative to clean up Pattaya - make it fit for up-market family tourism, and expel all the foreign scum who have given Thailand something to be ashamed of - no wait - many Thais refuse to acknowledge that there is a seedy side to Thai tourism. If there is a clearout of the bad elements, then the Thai social security system will take over the financing of all the Isaan families who depend on it for thier livelihood. Much better idea.

No £5400 is the going rate for 2 adults flying Thai Airways Economy class staying in a Dusit Hotel in Bangkok and Chiang Mai for 18 nights from the U.K. Our rooms will be very nice but they are just ordinary rooms nothing like a suite!!! I don't think we have anything special just our holiday. I know we pay alot and the service is EXCELLENT but I'm sure our lovely hotel staff earn nowhere near the amount we pay per night, criminal really is n't it?

God help us you are using the wrong travel agent unless you always come at Christmas - New Year. My company could give you 18 nights 5 star - Dusit Chain - for 18 nights for about £3500 in High Season - Jan 10 - April and about £2500 in Low Season.

Saddest part about this tourist wise is that:

99% of the country is totally untouched by any of this.

Most every where is perfect weather.

ALL amenities for all vacation fun are ready and waiting.

Transport is no problem even for last minute changes of mind and itinerary.

Prices are down in most places.

No state of emergency exist over 99% of c the country

In other words; no real reasons NOT to come right now.

Except the media generated fear that the red shirts have over run the country.

And a good pile of reasons why this is a great deal for a fun time.

I am not even in the travel or hotel business,

I just have eyes and ears open IN Thailand.

Edited by animatic

No £5400 is the going rate for 2 adults flying Thai Airways Economy class staying in a Dusit Hotel in Bangkok and Chiang Mai for 18 nights from the U.K. Our rooms will be very nice but they are just ordinary rooms nothing like a suite!!! I don't think we have anything special just our holiday. I know we pay alot and the service is EXCELLENT but I'm sure our lovely hotel staff earn nowhere near the amount we pay per night, criminal really is n't it?

God help us you are using the wrong travel agent unless you always come at Christmas - New Year. My company could give you 18 nights 5 star - Dusit Chain - for 18 nights for about £3500 in High Season - Jan 10 - April and about £2500 in Low Season.

We always travel mid January to early February I'd be very interested to hear about your company?

No £5400 is the going rate for 2 adults flying Thai Airways Economy class staying in a Dusit Hotel in Bangkok and Chiang Mai for 18 nights from the U.K...

Ah, OK. But you did say:

...the £5400 we spend on getting to Thailand alone (without spending money)...

...which sounded like just the travelling expenses, to me. :o

Usually, several years ago that is, it cost me about £640 for a return on Thai. Don't know what they charge now.

Almost total BS........guess you have never been to Thailand or are a spin monkey.

Almost total BS........guess you have never been to Thailand or are a spin monkey.

Animatic is one of the most insightful, thoughtful posters on TV. The spin monkey moniker only makes you look like a tw@t.

probably too little to late. tourism here will be fuct for a while now. a coup, airport closures and the latest protests broadcast all over cnn and bbc showing buses on fire and the military clashing with the protesters. would you come here for a holiday?

I have a friend in HCMC that arranges tours for Vietnamese to come to Bangkok for shopping, she hasn't been able to get a group together for over a month - last one went to KL for shopping, almost 400 people that have "Mahk Mahk Baht" to spend.........can't blame them can You??? Why take a chance on Bangkok when for the same prices you can go to KL............. :D

Meanwhile, those of us who live here continue to call for "Buleah! Peel me a grape". Life is pretty good for us retirees in the land of smiles! Let the working class worry about their holidays, let them eat cake! :o

That attitude is one reason why the "visa bar" continues to be raised and why one day it will reach your neck. By the way, pensions can go away in a flash........think about that.

It doesn't matter how much of the country is free of troubles. You travel places because you want to have a trouble free holiday. You don't want airports overrun, you don't want tanks on the streets or armed soldiers running around. You don't want possible riots. You don't want 'emergency decrees', bars closed (maybe, maybe not).

Remember, outside of Baghdad, much of Iraq is also safe. Not particularly interesting, but safe.

Thailand is starting to look more like an adventure tourism country. Remember in tourism, perception is everything.

Flew to Melbourne from Bangkok last Sunday (12th) via thai airways the plane was packed... Flew back to Bangkok on the 15th and the plane was empty maybe 50 people... I think the thai people have destroyed thier tourist industry and it will take many many years I feel to recover. I lot of thais will loose thier jobs because of the stupidity of a small minority

Flew to Melbourne from Bangkok last Sunday (12th) via thai airways the plane was packed... Flew back to Bangkok on the 15th and the plane was empty maybe 50 people... I think the thai people have destroyed thier tourist industry and it will take many many years I feel to recover. I lot of thais will loose thier jobs because of the stupidity of a small minority

and the Immigration Division will continue to contribute their share to damage the damage done even more! Sic!

Edited by webfact

No state of emergency exists over 99% of c the country

I live here now.

It DOES rain too, did last night for an hour..

But mostly is fine and fair, as I look out the window now.

10-15 mile visibility light breeze light clouds full sun. 29°c.

The above is based on this last weeks observations

including the travel and bookings in different directions

across the whole of the country by myself, my wife and friends.

Even Songkran prices came down a bit.

Most of the country is just waiting for visitors,

and in perfect condition to keep them entertained.

What B.S. is there?

I have lived here some time now.

I have a nice network of friends here for decades.

It is sad that so much is not a problem here,

and yet people are being scared off.

Or can't you grasp that point. That WAS the point.

Most of the country has little or no Red scare issues.

EXCEPT for the external impressions being disseminated.

And I am NOT in the tourist business. I just know what I am seeing.

We always travel mid January to early February I'd be very interested to hear about your company?

Greencard Golf Holidays. I am MD and live in Hua Hin Thailand but my office is in Calne, Wilts. Please feel free to call Richard Munroe on 0870 300 0880 in office hours. Let him know exactly what you want and dates and we will price it up for you. It would be a pleasure.

and the Immigration Division will continue to contribute their share to damage the damage done even more! Sic!

I fly in and out every 28 days and I have not really had a problem with immigration. well one time I came in on my one year multiple entry visa and the immigration official stamped it used and said it was only good for 2 entries. This was soon sorted out by a very nice female immigration officer who came to my rescue issued me with a new 1 year visa free of charge and appoligised.

I do realise a few people have problems with immigration but I think that this is only a minor problem

just checked around for a good deal and methinks everything must be full...there is no other way to explain the high prices shown everywhere.

Or they want to make the same profit with 20 % of the tourists.....

just checked around for a good deal and methinks everything must be full...there is no other way to explain the high prices shown everywhere.

Ok.....let me correct something I said earlier. I fully understand the need to encourage tourism in the Kingdom and hope those that lead will takes realistic steps in that direction.

Weather: It is hotter than hel_l......this must be the hottest month on record........I don't consider it "good weather." The heat also contributes to greater air pollution levels.

Danger: The incidents are very localized. The changes of any tourist being harmed is minimal. I would not worry about that (unless you decide to take a sailboat south or travel in the south near Malaysia).

Political climate: It is very volatile at the moment. The country as a whole is impacted by a divisive psychology. There is widespread anger. BUT, the violence is minimal and localized. See my point on Danger above.

Sanook factor: If you want to have a good time, I would suggest avoiding Bangkok and Pattaya-Jomtien. Instead, try Phuket......I have not heard of anything negative happening there.

My guess is that if you leave the aiport and go to a 5-Star hotel........you will not think anything out of the ordinary is happening. Unless of course, they block the airport again.......but I don't think that is going to happen because the current govt. will likely take a very swift and strong stance against such action.

So, to sum up, you are safe here........not major war in the streets.......but it might be wise to take your vacation in Phuket.......and remember it is Hotter than hel_l now.

AMAZING THAILAND........WHAT COULD BE MORE AMAZING? The recent rap video of TOXIN.......hilarious!

Recently I was informed by a Tuk-Tuk driver that he has to charge me now 20 Baht more for the daily trip I make with him (I know the driver 2 years)

When I asked why I was expecting "prices went up"... instead he told me "no tourists no income but must feed my family" His answer says it all.

Also I'll second your observation regarding "good deals". I share your view "it must be full".

No refund for trips to Bangkok - despite riots

British tour operators are refusing to offer refunds to clients who have booked a holiday to Bangkok and no longer wish to travel, despite the recurring unrest and rioting.

The Thai capital and the surrounding area remain under a state of emergency and the Foreign Office advice to travellers was to "carefully consider their plans" and that the "political situation remains uncertain". However it had downgraded the overall threat level - at the start of last week it advised against all but essential travel to Bangkok, but this was lifted on Wednesday.

"On Monday and Tuesday we were calling clients who were booked up to 16 April to see if they wanted to change arrangements, and we were also calling clients who were already in Bangkok," says Anne-Marie Hansen, a spokesperson for Kuoni Travel. "At that point if people wanted to cancel we would refund them the entire cost of their holiday, but when the advice changed back on Wednesday we reverted to normal booking conditions."

Normal booking conditions means a cancellation charge of 100% if the holiday is less than seven days away, giving clients travelling in the immediate aftermath of the unrest a straight choice; get on the plane, or lose your money.

Other companies have made the same decision; Thomson Worldwide and Thomas Cook Signature have both reverted to normal booking conditions.

"When the FCO advises against travel, we offer a full refund," says Sarah Bolam of Thomas Cook Signature, "but since Wednesday normal cancellation charges have applied."

The Foreign Office is still advising against non-essential travel to some areas of Thailand including the southern provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla, and advises against all travel to the region around the Preah Vihear temple, where there is sporadic fighting between Cambodian and Thai troops.

- Guardian News (UK) / 2009-04-19

Kurt, until now I don't think I've agreed with anything you've posted (politics and all that :o ), but I shall miss you on TV. Best of luck in Canada, I think you've made the right choice.