Non Immigrant Visa

Thanks Lite Beer ;-)

I know Vientiane is a sure thing but getting there from Chiang Mai is a hassle and also crossing the friendship bridge coupled with long queues @the consulate is unappealing and time consuming.

The other option is KL - what's the consensus on the embassy there at the moment?

Cheers :-)

Hi,

Just wanting to double check on the required paperwork for a single entry non immigrant 'o' visa based on marriage before I head to either KL or Phnom Penh or maybe Vientiane...

Copy of wife's ID card

Copy of wife's Tabien Baan

Copy and original of marriage certificate

Copy of son's Thai birth certificate

Bank book with balance over 400k

Is a letter from my wife needed?

Is there anything else I am forgetting???

Also I will be planning to extend this visa for one year on the basis of a Thai spouse. I need to have my bank book with 400k in there for 3 months. (spoke with immigration, and because this is my second time extending, 3 months bank balance is required) This will leave only about a week before my visa expires to put in the application to immigration... Will this be a problem? I know the general consensus is apply one month before your visa expires but it will not be possible because of the 3 month bank book policy.

Many Thanks :-)

KL is a good option plus you can get a multiple entry there.

Vientiane has gotten better since they moved and have a number system instead of waiting in line.

Are just looking to get another 90 days or are you planning on getting an extension?

If you just need more time you can get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your wife. You only need her ID card and house book plus your marrigage certificate to get it.

I was just after a single entry as I will be applying for a one year extension at immigration.

I have already done the 60 day extension for 'visiting' the wife last year and was under the impression it was a one time only deal... Is that correct?

Sounds like your immigration office has made up it's own rules because the police order states 2 months for any extension application. Have you asked about getting a change of visa status to get your extension without leaving to get a non o. With the money in the bank already they should do it plus you could get a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then do the change of visa status if they push the 3 months BS.

For a single entry you should not even need the bank book in Vientiane.

Letter should not be required.

You can do your the extension the week before your permit to stay ends.

Edit: Just noticed you had two topics on about the same subject so I have merged them.

Thanks for the replies ubonjoe :-)

Yes the immigration office (Chiang Mai) seems to be making stuff up as they feel.

Brief history: I had a single non immigrant 'o' visa from Vientiane in late 2007 then extended that for 60 days (visiting Thai wife) then got a one year (Thai spouse) extension in April 2008 with an income letter from my embassy (Australian) and everything went through smoothly. This year went in with the exact same paperwork and was told quite bluntly with not much of an explanation that the embassy income letter was "mai dai". I got another embassy income letter (which is just a stat dec from my embassy) with more detail of how my income is derived and tried again, "mai dai", told me that I should put 400k in my Thai bank, leave it for 3 months (I questioned the 3 months saying that I thought it was meant to be 2 but they insisted as this was my second spouse extension that 3 was required), leave the country get another visa and come and apply again!

They didn't offer any other possible scenarios and I can't be bothered pushing the issue with them as they seem adamant about the decision. It is in sharp contrast to my experience with the same office last year. They couldn't have been any more helpful and efficient. Hopefully they won't change the 'rules' again for future years...

Im now just tossing up whether to try Phnom Penh or KL for the visa. I would rather visit PP but am hesitant because of mixed reports about the Thai embassy there.

Happy days in Thailand :-)

Yours is not the first report of Chiang Mai being a pain. I don't uderstand the problem with the income letter. I guess they are just being difficult.

Phnom Penh should be ok. Most reports have been for tourist visas. I do remember a post for a non-o with no porblem.

I have not seen any bad reports since they got more friendly.

Hi,

Just wanting to double check on the required paperwork for a single entry non immigrant 'o' visa based on marriage before I head to either KL or Phnom Penh or maybe Vientiane...

Copy of wife's ID card

Copy of wife's Tabien Baan

Copy and original of marriage certificate

Copy of son's Thai birth certificate

Bank book with balance over 400k

Is a letter from my wife needed?

Is there anything else I am forgetting???

Also I will be planning to extend this visa for one year on the basis of a Thai spouse. I need to have my bank book with 400k in there for 3 months. (spoke with immigration, and because this is my second time extending, 3 months bank balance is required) This will leave only about a week before my visa expires to put in the application to immigration... Will this be a problem? I know the general consensus is apply one month before your visa expires but it will not be possible because of the 3 month bank book policy.

Many Thanks :-)

You do not need 400k in bank account - they will ask to see 100k if you have it and want the multi entry from a recent report - but person was able to obtain without it. Letter from wife probably not required but good to have - just a short note asking that a multi entry visa be issued as you live together. Photos and fee will also be required.

Yes it's possible to do a change of visa status. But is has to be done a minimum of 21 days before your permit to stay runs out.

I don't think you will have any problem getting single entry non o based upong marrieage. Even the most unfriendly consulates give those without a problem.