A Win For All You Copyright Junkies.

mrt273nva

But since we're at it, why not charge some Sony executives too? They make all kinds of stuff that can be used to copy digital media - CD/DVD drives, blank disks, USB drives, tapes, video equipment, computers, you name of it. They know some of their gear will be used to break copyright laws and yet they deliberately keep producing it and trying to flog it off to the public with no regard at all for the rights of poor starving artists like Madonna and her record label which is doubtless teetering on the edge of financial ruin. Shameless.

If the difference between owning a hammer, and beating someone over the head with a hammer, are not obvious to you.. Then its not worth explaining.

Conflict of interest news popping up. As it's now been known, that the judge in the case, is a member of the same copyright protection organizations as several of the main entertainment industry representatives. :D

One of the sources: http://www.thelocal.se/19028/20090423/

Oh deary me! What a fiasco. Talk about looking like a deer in the headlights:

_45694377_judgenorstrom-pa.jpg:o

Hopefully he'll be sacked, and we'll get a proper trial with an impartial judge. He has certainly made the Swedish judicial system look rather silly.

Conflict of interest news popping up. As it's now been known, that the judge in the case, is a member of the same copyright protection organizations as several of the main entertainment industry representatives. :burp:

One of the sources: http://www.thelocal.se/19028/20090423/

Another source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8014626.stm

:o:D :D :D :D :wai::P :jerk: :burp:

This is just too good... you couldn't make this up...

Quote:

Judge Tomas Norstrom is a member of the Swedish Copyright Association and sits on the board of Swedish Association for the Protection of Industrial Property.

But the judge has told Swedish Radio: "These activities do not constitute a conflict of interest."

<deleted>??? Not a conflict of interest even though you are neck-deep into the pocket of one side?

There are only two possible outcomes: 1 - Retrial. 2 - Sweden is a banana republic. New slogan: TIS, this is Sweden.

But since we're at it, why not charge some Sony executives too? They make all kinds of stuff that can be used to copy digital media - CD/DVD drives, blank disks, USB drives, tapes, video equipment, computers, you name of it. They know some of their gear will be used to break copyright laws and yet they deliberately keep producing it and trying to flog it off to the public with no regard at all for the rights of poor starving artists like Madonna and her record label which is doubtless teetering on the edge of financial ruin. Shameless.

If the difference between owning a hammer, and beating someone over the head with a hammer, are not obvious to you.. Then its not worth explaining.

Thank you for your atypically patronising post (having a bad day?). Neither Sony nor Pirate Bay hosts copyright content. Both produce the means to abuse copyright, which the public abuse to do just that. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how this is different, because it seems the same to me :-)

Thank you for your atypically patronising post (having a bad day?). Neither Sony nor Pirate Bay hosts copyright content. Both produce the means to abuse copyright, which the public abuse to do just that. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how this is different, because it seems the same to me :-)

I think you believe I am argueing against pirate bay.. I am not.

What I am saying is charging Sony because thier CD's 'might' be used for piracy, is the same as charging someone with a hammer of 'possible assault'.. Its the act of piracy that needs to be defined and the limits and clarity associated with copyrights and rights holders that are in the issue. The recording industry on the one hand has handled thier side terribly, but the consumer who now things wholesale plunder of any music or media is ok is equally wrong.