Sin Sod Missing

keithlee

Why didn't he just hand it over on the wedding day?

If this is not a troll post then I too am puzzled as to why it was not handed over on the wedding day, as that is the norm.

but even that does n't guarantee getting it back.G/F family have got a bloody cheek,but its a cheap lesson,he now knows what the family are like.just walk away from family and g/f.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my friend gave a refundable 100,000 baht sin sod th gf family with understanding it was to be returned. family say they lost it, can he come up with another 100,000 so they dont lose face at wedding. he say ok, i tell him to ditch girl and family.

God he'd be a mug to give another 100,000 baht,just get the hel_l out of it.

If this is not a troll post then I too am puzzled as to why it was not handed over on the wedding day, as that is the norm.

but even that does n't guarantee getting it back.G/F family have got a bloody cheek,but its a cheap lesson,he now knows what the family are like.just walk away from family and g/f.

Yes, no guarantee at all of getting it back But seems odd to demand (want) the money before the day itself.

In fact, very little guarantee at all here in Thailand regarding money and getting it back.

As I have said in the past, you can marry a Thai today, pay the sin-sot and she can walk away from the marriage tomorrow. Nothing to stop her.

Yes, no guarantee at all of getting it back But seems odd to demand (want) the money before the day itself.

In fact, very little guarantee at all here in Thailand regarding money and getting it back.

As I have said in the past, you can marry a Thai today, pay the sin-sot and she can walk away from the marriage tomorrow. Nothing to stop her.

very true mate,it happened to me.I did n't want to give any sin-sot(cos i knew of the likelyhood of this very same thing happpening)but relented in the end on the eve of wedding,i coughed up 50,000 baht and do you know the thai guy doing that part of the ceremony(what we might call a wedding celebrant)looked me in the face while counting out the money in front of all the wedding guests said "why so little money",i could have punched him in the face right there and then.Any way promises of returning the money continued until the day of our departure,when i finally lost patience and finally had to confront the mother.She said she'd used 30,000 baht to pay off a debt.I finally got 20,000 baht returned to me.I will never ever go back to the farmhouse again.

very true mate,it happened to me.I did n't want to give any sin-sot(cos i knew of the likelyhood of this very same thing happpening)but relented in the end on the eve of wedding,i coughed up 50,000 baht and do you know the thai guy doing that part of the ceremony(what we might call a wedding celebrant)looked me in the face while counting out the money in front of all the wedding guests said "why so little money",i could have punched him in the face right there and then.Any way promises of returning the money continued until the day of our departure,when i finally lost patience and finally had to confront the mother.She said she'd used 30,000 baht to pay off a debt.I finally got 20,000 baht returned to me.I will never ever go back to the farmhouse again.

Don't think they'll be too worried about that, skinflint.

Did your friend insist that the local police be asked to investigate?

Then again, if it's a small village the polic would probably 'find' a result which the family wanted.

You should tell your friend that he's being ripped off and there's a very strong signal here in regards to the long-term future if tangled with this family.

And remember the wife (if he does marry her) will very likely be under regular and very strong even unpleasant pressure for more. Not very helpful for a happy marriage.

I don't think I've ever seen the 'to be returned at a later date' or 'letting the family hold onto it beforehand' one yet.

Delivered: The morning of the ceremony, realistically, your assets our rarely out of sight... they are arranged on trays by your family members, wrapped up in silk, tied bows around your title deeds, etc. and carried into the ceremony in that 'chanting gravy train' thing.

Returned: It's right after the morning traditional ceremony. Your representatives (typically a best man or family member) collects everything and either locks it away (gold, jewelry, chanotes) and/or starts the process of putting the cash back into your accounts. For our wedding, me and the wife took care of this ourselves right after lunch.

There's no reason for anyone to just hold onto it, especially if it's a substantial amount.

Nothing is really given or taken.... no more so do you take home the silverware or flowers from the hotel if your reception is held there.

:o

Edited by Heng

Their is one thing I cannot understand. Lots of Farrangs, ( must have been smart some time in their life time as they made lots of money), and it amazes me when they get to Thailand they automatically become stupid. even where I live in korat, and their are plenty of farrangs living around me, and at least two out of three have become stupid. One even gives his Thai wife 50,000 Baht a month, and also put one million in her bank account, and that's not all, they sleep in separate bedrooms. Wow, do you believe that?

Barry

my friend gave a refundable 100,000 baht sin sod th gf family with understanding it was to be returned. family say they lost it, can he come up with another 100,000 so they dont lose face at wedding. he say ok, i tell him to ditch girl and family.

I see you have changed your format Mr Newbie.

TROLL

I don't think I've ever seen the 'to be returned at a later date' or 'letting the family hold onto it beforehand' one yet.

Delivered: The morning of the ceremony, realistically, your assets our rarely out of sight... they are arranged on trays by your family members, wrapped up in silk, tied bows around your title deeds, etc. and carried into the ceremony in that 'chanting gravy train' thing.

Returned: It's right after the morning traditional ceremony. Your representatives (typically a best man or family member) collects everything and either locks it away (gold, jewelry, chanotes) and/or starts the process of putting the cash back into your accounts. For our wedding, me and the wife took care of this ourselves right after lunch.

There's no reason for anyone to just hold onto it, especially if it's a substantial amount.

Nothing is really given or taken.... no more so do you take home the silverware or flowers from the hotel if your reception is held there.

This whole procedure is ridiculous but many farangs indulge for the sake of respecting the culture.

Tell me do they respect our culture???

This whole procedure is ridiculous but many farangs indulge for the sake of respecting the culture.

Tell me do they respect our culture???

Which culture is that again?

:D

This whole Sin Sod is things is often not needed at all.

I have spoken to many Thais over the years about this and most say its a old custom and not really something you have to do its up to you to go along with it.

As far as I can see from the OP ,tell ur friend to run away.

Lost 100.000bath yeah right :o

Originally the sin sod was to compensate the family for the loss of a worker on the farm etc. These days I reckon the oldies should pay sin sod to the daughter for bringing home a falung who is going to support them for the rest of their lives.

Originally the sin sod was to compensate the family for the loss of a worker on the farm etc. These days I reckon the oldies should pay sin sod to the daughter for bringing home a falung who is going to support them for the rest of their lives.

Yes, too right. I believe the Indian system works the other way. The groom's family recieve the dowry

Lost it where? In a taxi?

Let's not be too cynical here. Have they looked under the sofa? Top of the wardrobe? I often hide large sums of cash and forget about it only to find it later, to my great delight!

Buffalo ate it.

:o:D:D