Postal Employee Stole Registered Letter From Usa To Thailand

stuck

I sent important papers to my wife via US Registered Mail to her Bangkok address. It has been one month and still no delivery. She is at the Laksi Post Office now and the manager there is doing the two-step. Apparently the large letter was tampered with and they know the postal employee responsible. They are asking her how much she wants.

No police involved yet.

The letter (flat) was sent Registered and I checked with the US Postal Service and the chain of custody extends into Thailand meaning that anyone who touches this letter must sign for it. Each person who touches it until it is delivered must assume responsibility at each step.

Questions:

Does the Thai Postal Service have a Postal Police as they do in the USA?

Is there a postmaster general -

Does anyone have any experience with this? It would seem the post office manager knows he's responsible ultimately but that there is a trail that is glowing right to the guy who stole the contents.

She has not involved the local police yet. The letter has papers that were original and will be very hard to replace. One such document is the Green Book for the ownership of the motorcycle. I told her to demand 25,000 baht as they are asking her how much she wants for her "inconvenience."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I told her to demand 25,000 baht as they are asking her how much she wants for her "inconvenience."

Have you actually incurred a financial loss and if so can you demonstrate that the value is as high as 25,000 baht? If not, you could be accused making a false declaration. If the intent is to be made whole, then claim an amount that honestly represents the loss. To do otherwise makes you as dishonest as the thief and could also void your claim.

I told her to demand 25,000 baht as they are asking her how much she wants for her "inconvenience."

Have you actually incurred a financial loss and if so can you demonstrate that the value is as high as 25,000 baht? If not, you could be accused making a false declaration. If the intent is to be made whole, then claim an amount that honestly represents the loss. To do otherwise makes you as dishonest as the thief and could also void your claim.

It comes down to the amount of time, suffering, and costs involved in replacing all the papers. I assume that some traveling will be involved. The Motorcycle Green Book originated in Korat, other papers in there were University Transcripts (original) and some cash that I hid in the Green Book.

How much is her time worth? It will likely take days if not more and lots of travel to replace all these papers.

Besides, I don't expect 25,000 baht but I don't negotiate by starting low. The cost to replace it all will be substantial.

Edited by stuck

What do you mean tampered with? That sounds like the contents are still in their possession but the letter has been? If he's stolen it, I'd really make the guy sweat.

I'm not sure. The contents and letter have not been shown to her. The strange thing is that they are admitting that "something" happened. The nature of Registered mail is that each person who touches it takes responsbility for it. It's the most secure way to send something because there is a chain of custody from mailing to delivery.

They know that they are screwed. The manager has admitted that one of his postal employees has something to do with the non-delivery of the flat.

Beyond that I'm not sure. My wife is well educated and her English is very good but under stress she is not exactly reliable. Mixed up in all this is the Thai factor that makes it all that more difficult to ascertain.

P.S.

I initiated an investigation here with the US Postal Service which was handed over to Bangkok for investigation. There are agreements between our countries that dictate that an investigation be carried out. I am assuming that stealing mail in Thailand is probably a big deal. I'm sure most of the time it is not provable but this time the idiots tampered or stole the wrong letter.

Edited by stuck

Do a search on what happened to the last person who stole post in Thailand. :o

And then show it to them.

Do you have a reference? Because if it is the story I think you are writing about, it involved the use of stolen credit cards.

Allow me to clarify what I think is going on. We all know the Thai Postal Workers will steal whenever they get the chance. Most Thais will steal if they think they won't get caught. Anyone who wishes to debate that statement - up to you.

I'm sure that the postal people scan the mail or even open it to determine if they should steal something - but in this case the mail was sent registered. There is a chain of custody for this flat letter that extends from the US into Thailand. Each person taking posession of the letter must sign the chain of custody.

Our employed thief either forget it was registered, didn't look, or was too stupid to know. I'm discounting number 3 heavily. I think he screwed up.

It's no different than doing it on camera. He's caught and can't erase it.

Now what does he do? He offers compensation. Ok - compensate us for the hardship, time and cost to replace all the documents or we involve the police.

It's as simple as that.

What is the best way to do this?

And ultimately we just want the contents but in lieu of that, he should pay dearly.

My god what does your girlfriend even see in you?

If you look on their website they will only give you I think 900baht refund for lost documents with registered air mail.

I often wonder why people post when they go off their meds.

She is my wife.

I want the documents returned - delivered.

Short of that, she will have to spend a lot of time running around all over Thailand in order to get the documents replaced. Exactly what is it that you want to know when you ask what she "sees" in me and tell us how this is relevant to my questions?

Sorry about some of the replies. There are some classic idiots on here.

My advice is this:

Spend some time trying to retrieve whatever is left, if any, contents of the package from the post office.

If no joy with that, than there is no option but to replace the documents that went missing.

On retrieving these, get receipts for all your expenses obtaining and for the replacement documents.

Present copies of the receipts to the manager of the post office, requesting a full refund for your expenses and replacement documents.

As for claims for inconvenience and stress, this is Thailand, a civil case can take years over here and there is no guarantee you will win. You could try complaining to the head of the post office, nothing to lose.

Once you have replaced the documents, perhaps better to put down to experience, but of course if you do decide to pursue this matter, I wish you all success.

Edited by sassienie

If you look on their website they will only give you I think 900baht refund for lost documents with registered air mail.

She is my wife.

Short of that, she will have to spend a lot of time running around all over Thailand in order to get the documents replaced. Exactly what is it that you want to know when you ask what she "sees" in me and tell us how this is relevant to my questions?

My advice is this:

Spend some time trying to retrieve whatever is left, if any, contents of the package from the post office.

If no joy with that, than there is no option but to replace the documents that went missing.

On retrieving these, get receipts for all your expenses obtaining and for the replacement documents.

Present copies of the receipts to the manager of the post office, requesting a full refund for your expenses and replacement documents.

As for claims for inconvenience and stress, this is Thailand, a civil case can take years over here and there is no guarantee you will win. You could try complaining to the head of the post office, nothing to lose.

Once you have replaced the documents, perhaps better to put down to experience, but of course if you do decide to pursue this matter, I wish you all success.

You're missing the point. We want the documents. Normally it is their word against ours that there was a letter in the first place. I sent it REGISTERED which means we have proof who last had it.

They know it.

Why should we be nice and polite with thieves? They stole from us. I say involve the police, scare the crap out of them and demand they be prosecuted for their crimes. The manager knew about it. Now it's a conspiracy.

Why are we who did nothing wrong expected to bend over backwards to accommodate the criminals?

She is my wife.

My advice is this:

You're missing the point. We want the documents. Normally it is their word against ours that there was a letter in the first place. I sent it REGISTERED which means we have proof who last had it.

They know it.

Why should we be nice and polite with thieves? They stole from us. I say involve the police, scare the crap out of them and demand they be prosecuted for their crimes. The manager knew about it. Now it's a conspiracy.

Why are we who did nothing wrong expected to bend over backwards to accommodate the criminals?

Absolutely right, but abviously you don`t know the system or lack of it in Thailand.

Good luck.

She is my wife.

My advice is this:

And calling other people classic idiots isn't being idiotic at all?

There are standard procedures for these sort of things. You start an investigation and wait for the outcome. Then you can either agree or disagree with it. If you disagree then you write a formal complaint letter. He doesnt have to be a jerk about it by calling thai officers idiots and accusing them of stealing and claiming 25.000 baht. These documents have absolutely no value for normal people at all.

How is it relevant? How is it relevant to call an officer an idiot. I would be pretty pissed if a foreigner comes to my country and calling me an idiot in my own territory.

Edited by fanta rood

She is my wife.

My advice is this:

There are standard procedures for these sort of things. You start an investigation and wait for the outcome. Then you can either agree or disagree with it. If you disagree then you write a formal complaint letter. He doesnt have to be a jerk about it by calling thai officers idiots and accusing them of stealing and claiming 25.000 baht. These documents have absolutely no value for normal people at all.

How is it relevant? How is it relevant to call an officer an idiot. I would be pretty pissed if a foreigner comes to my country and calling me an idiot in my own territory.

Correct but sometimes post office staff may open a package if they think there maybe something valuble inside.

When these things happen I from my own experiences have learned not to believe anything these people tell me.

But this being Thailand, one does not get any where by going in with all guns blazing, although the OP is perfectly right in feeling angry and pissed off.

Over here there is no such thing as a fast track system, nothing one can do but go with the flow and hope these matters get resolved.

Edited by sassienie

Correct but sometimes post office staff may open a package if they think there maybe something valuble inside.

When these things happen I from my own experiences have learned not to believe anything these people tell me.

But this being Thailand, one does not get any where by going in with all guns blazing, although the OP is perfectly right in feeling angry and pissed off.

Over here there is no such thing as a fast track system, nothing one can do but go with the flow and hope these matters get resolved.

Why would post office staff open a package at all? This wasn't a package, this was an 8X10 inch flat with documents that are VALUABLE to my wife and me. Do they open the letter or package with the intent to steal the valuable item? I don't understand your point.

HAHAHAHAHAHA wow just got off the boat huh buddy? Did you actually say standard procedures?! LOL And investigation?! ROFL And formal complaint letter OMG! NONE OF THESE THINGS APPLY TO OR WORK IN THAILAND. I suggest you figure out where you are because you are mistaking Thailand for your home country. Seriously, you are so completely off base about how things work here it's making my eyes bleed just reading your post. Formal complaint letter for the love of god....... HERE! haha

Do a search on what happened to the last person who stole post in Thailand. :o

And then show it to them.

Do you have a reference? Because if it is the story I think you are writing about, it involved the use of stolen credit cards.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Postman-Soranat-50-Years-Jail-t246404.html

Edited by spongeman

Had a similar situation, wife went to the post office and asked to make an official complaint, she also asked for telephone number of complaints office.

The letter was delivered the next day!! What ever you do don't accept cash compensation as you can also get big trouble!!

Why would post office staff open a package at all? This wasn't a package, this was an 8X10 inch flat with documents that are VALUABLE to my wife and me. Do they open the letter or package with the intent to steal the valuable item? I don't understand your point.

Yes, they sometimes open the letters or packages with the intent to steal any valuble items, especially if the letter, package, parcel, whatever way you wish to describe it looks important.

When I worked in Thailand I met a guy from Hawaii. He told me about a postman who had a heart attack in his town and died.When they checked his attic they found about 50 sacks of undelivered post.

So it can happen anywhere.

I read with some interest the postings on this subject. Typical indignant response when a crime has been committed against them lock them up and throw away the key is the normal response - BUT. Very often the punishment does not fit the crime, very much over the top. Would you wont to see some person who earns 4000/6000Bht/month sent to prison for a long time or receive compensation? Thais who collect cash ie for insurance Co's often dip into the the pot, the guilty are often given the option of paying the money back or the police get involved. The guilty one then passes the begging bowl around the family to find the money. At the end of the day paying the money back is the best option, the victim gets the policy, the Co get the revenue and the perpetrator gets to continue to support their dependents. Compare this with sending the guilty one to prison, nobody wins - loose loose.

Thai society (excluding politics) can be very tolerant when compared to the western world, when you dip your toe into countries that are some 40+ years behind developed countries you are going to be disappointed from time to time when comparing things back-home.

Relating to your case, putting cash in a parcel is about a dumb as you can get - it can be detected. The fact you have been offered compensation is great - grin and bear it LOS

One more thing about what happened to my family in Thailand. I was helped at the highest levels of government for many reasons. There were many good Thai people who also helped me secure our son to safety. They too deserve recognition and thanks.

Registered or not - don't think it would make much difference. This is the Thai mail system you are lucky you receive any mail from abroad.

My father sent me a package via the United States Postal Service once a month for almost 2 years. I got every single one of them. They were trackable and insured.

Not one was ever opened before I got it and they all arrived in about 1 week.

Do the Thais have a postal police as the USA does?

I'd like to know more about these American "postal police" please.

I have an online business in the states and since the economic downturn have had a few packages delivered with nothing inside.

We are going through changes and will be insuring everything in the future (cost goes up unfortunately) but, maybe these "postal police" could be called in to help solve these problems.

Please PM me with a link to get a hold of them.

Thanks, and good luck with getting back your documents.

HAHAHAHAHAHA wow just got off the boat huh buddy? Did you actually say standard procedures?! LOL And investigation?! ROFL And formal complaint letter OMG! NONE OF THESE THINGS APPLY TO OR WORK IN THAILAND. I suggest you figure out where you are because you are mistaking Thailand for your home country. Seriously, you are so completely off base about how things work here it's making my eyes bleed just reading your post. Formal complaint letter for the love of god....... HERE! haha

Actually, a couple of years ago, my mother sent a small box to India. It never made it to the destination. It took us six months, but the Thai Post Office paid us back for postage and about 900 baht for the contents.

Do the Thais have a postal police as the USA does?

I'd like to know more about these American "postal police" please.

I have an online business in the states and since the economic downturn have had a few packages delivered with nothing inside.

We are going through changes and will be insuring everything in the future (cost goes up unfortunately) but, maybe these "postal police" could be called in to help solve these problems.

Please PM me with a link to get a hold of them.

Thanks, and good luck with getting back your documents.

The Postal Police in the USA are like Pit Bulls. You don't want to mess with them and they usually get to the bottom of fraud and almost always prosecute. Just go to the USPS website I believe it is usps.com and look there. They are feared more than most federal police.

I sent important papers to my wife via US Registered Mail to her Bangkok address. It has been one month and still no delivery. She is at the Laksi Post Office now and the manager there is doing the two-step. Apparently the large letter was tampered with and they know the postal employee responsible. They are asking her how much she wants.

No police involved yet.

The letter (flat) was sent Registered and I checked with the US Postal Service and the chain of custody extends into Thailand meaning that anyone who touches this letter must sign for it. Each person who touches it until it is delivered must assume responsibility at each step.

Questions:

Does the Thai Postal Service have a Postal Police as they do in the USA?

Is there a postmaster general -

Does anyone have any experience with this? It would seem the post office manager knows he's responsible ultimately but that there is a trail that is glowing right to the guy who stole the contents.

She has not involved the local police yet. The letter has papers that were original and will be very hard to replace. One such document is the Green Book for the ownership of the motorcycle. I told her to demand 25,000 baht as they are asking her how much she wants for her "inconvenience."

Although slightly off point, I think if you have anything valuable, then send it by courier. Otherwise you cannot trust the Thai postal system. For years I never received several things sent to me in Thailand by normal post and same sent out whenever I sent it from the central post office behind the BKK bank in Silom, BKK - so i started to send most things by courier, which is expensive. Then I discovered a small PO office in an office block nearby and everything I send from there arrives Ok. So avoid the Silom office.

I suggest you ask Thais about how and where to get satisfaction - I doubt many farangs would care to pursue such a matter as yours - they would think it is a complete waste of time and energy. Also the fact that you registered something in the USA means that the security is not guaranteed after it leaves the USA.

Edited by Tyke