Postal Employee Stole Registered Letter From Usa To Thailand

stuck

I can sympathise with the OP, primarily because until now he had a good record of receiving mail, from his father in the US.

Registered mail might be perceived as a red flag to some Thai postal workers & sending cash was a huge mistake.

It was probably opened, cash stolen and the contents binned.

I have a pocket sized Nikon and 2 small, pocket sized, GPS units I need bringing over by an honest tv member, currently in the US, not to save a few dollars but to actually get what I paid for.

I have no trust or faith in the Thai postal service or HM Thai Customs.

To the OP:

Insist on the return of whatever is left in the envelope & take it from there.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can someone answer my original questions?

Is there a postmaster general? Who is he, how to contact?

Do the Thais have a postal police as the USA does?

Does usa have a postal police...............cant stop laughing, opps just threw up some som tums.

Does usa have a postal police...............cant stop laughing, opps just threw up some som tums.

I'm not sure what you're laughing about. The US has a postal police. They are efficient and looking for things to investigate. Good advice, is not to mess with them.

Is this postal police an obama thinggy?

Sorry man, i just oogled postal police and lots came up. JUst in my 95 years ive never heard of them.

According to wikipidia they protect postal employees and property, they dont give a hoot about the actual mail. oops there goes another batch of som toms.

Edited by keithlee

Is this postal police an obama thinggy? Sorry man, i just oogled postal police and lots came up. JUst in my 95 years ive never heard of them. According to wikipidia they protect postal employees and property, they dont give a hoot about the actual mail. oops there goes another batch of som toms.

Don't you have some roo's to run over?

Edited by surface

Is this postal police an obama thinggy?

Sorry man, i just oogled postal police and lots came up. JUst in my 95 years ive never heard of them.

According to wikipidia they protect postal employees and property, they dont give a hoot about the actual mail. oops there goes another batch of som toms.

Anything to do with mail or employees is in their jurisdiction.

Considering that you and your son are not in Thailand, how can you absolutely verify that any of this alleged theft is true?

The say-so of your estranged wife? Could she be playing a game with you?

I'm not sure what you're laughing about. The US has a postal police. They are efficient and looking for things to investigate. Good advice, is not to mess with them.

I`m sure Thailand does have postal police.

Last year my wife had her shoes stolen outside a drug store in Hang Dong.

She called the shoes stolen outside of a drug store police. Within 3 hours the thief was caught, sent to court and the death penalty imposed.

Unfortunately only one shoe (the left one) was recovered. No one would buy it so we had to buy another pair of shoes, cost 199 baht. I am presently in the process of suing the drug store for 199 baht, plus 25000 baht for stress and inconveinience.

I`m sure Thailand does have postal police.

Last year my wife had her shoes stolen outside a drug store in Hang Dong.

She called the shoes stolen outside of a drug store police. Within 3 hours the thief was caught, sent to court and the death penalty imposed.

Unfortunately only one shoe (the left one) was recovered. No one would buy it so we had to buy another pair of shoes, cost 199 baht. I am presently in the process of suing the drug store for 199 baht, plus 25000 baht for stress and inconveinience.

Thanks for calling me a classic idiot earlier. Seems like hes being the jerk

I think the OP is making too much of the registered mail. Registered mail is just that, it's progress through the mail is registered each time it's barcode is read, and when eventually delivered a signature is required. It is not carried out to the back of the post office with mighty reverence and from then on held in a secure nuclear-proof suitcase, hand-cuffed to a postman and anyone coming near it made to sign a register. It goes into the same bags as any other registerd mail and is dumped on the plane and taken off the same way as other mail the other side. Unfortunately, it has then entered the Thai mail service, where it's just treated as another piece of mail to be delivered and if mr postman is a bit behind on the rent that month, it may go missing if it looks like it may contain something worth a few baht inside. According to the USPS website, the indemnity for registerd mail is $45.51, so that's all you're entitled to. Currently $45.51 is about 1570 baht. Hope you didn't have more than 1570 baht inside, or they can pay your wife with your own money.

If you really wanted the item to arrive and be trackable you should have sent it via one of the major international courier servcies, FedEx, UPS etc. Then it would have been travelling within one worldwide organisation, trackable throughout it's journey, with a bit more comeback if it didn't arrive. Instead you put it in the regular airmail, forget the registered bit, it's just a way of getting a couple extra dollars off you and satisfying you that it got there with a tracking number, it's not actually under armed guard. The US postal swat team may have jurisdiction in the US, but once it gets off the plane in Thailand, it's anyone's guess who is responsible, or who cares about it.

Considering that you and your son are not in Thailand, how can you absolutely verify that any of this alleged theft is true?

The say-so of your estranged wife? Could she be playing a game with you?

Not likely at this point, she's on her medication and responding.

However, she is Thai so anything is possible. Of course she could be lying or exaggerating.

However, she is Thai so anything is possible. Of course she could be lying or exaggerating.

Then- since she is here and she will be the one who will have to do all of the work to replace the papers and the green book, why not just wash your hands of it?

Being Thai, she will probably be more able to reach an amicable / face-saving-for-all situation with the post office.

Tell her to negotiate whatever she can from the post office and get on with it?

Edited by bino

Then- since she is here and she will be the one who will have to do all of the work to replace the papers and the green book, why not just wash your hands of it?

Being Thai, she will probably be more able to reach an amicable / face-saving-for-all situation with the post office.

Tell her to negotiate whatever she can from the post office and get on with it?

That is exactly what I am doing, but I can help grease the skids.

Allow me to clarify what I think is going on. We all know the Thai Postal Workers will steal whenever they get the chance. Most Thais will steal if they think they won't get caught. Anyone who wishes to debate that statement - up to you.

I'm not sure that is a fair statement. I used to work for the US Postal Service. I had my worries about trusting mail service in any underdeveloped country, but I have to say that I have received very good service here. Times that my packages have been opened officially for customs purposes, the package has been resealing with official tape stating such just as we do in the US, and there has never been anything missing from any package I have received, or any package which has not arrived.

I'd like to know more about these American "postal police" please.

I have an online business in the states and since the economic downturn have had a few packages delivered with nothing inside.

We are going through changes and will be insuring everything in the future (cost goes up unfortunately) but, maybe these "postal police" could be called in to help solve these problems.

Please PM me with a link to get a hold of them.

Thanks, and good luck with getting back your documents.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/

I have removed many bickering/flaming/aggressive & rude posts. The op has asked for some information, not for psycho analysis or to given a lecture on how he should conduct his life. Please try to keep to the op.

...According to the USPS website, the indemnity for registerd mail is $45.51, so that's all you're entitled to....

I believe the compensation limit for the loss of a registered letter is set by the Universal Postal Union (UPU) in consultation with the member states. In Switzerland it is CHF 40, so the USD 45.51 sounds right.

--

Maestro

The loss of the motorcycle registration document should perhaps be reported to the police. Otherwise, the possessor of the document could steal the motorcycle and then perhaps get it transferred to his name.

--

Maestro

I can sympathise with the OP, primarily because until now he had a good record of receiving mail, from his father in the US.

Registered mail might be perceived as a red flag to some Thai postal workers & sending cash was a huge mistake.

I have a pocket sized Nikon and 2 small, pocket sized, GPS units I need bringing over by an honest tv member, currently in the US, not to save a few dollars but to actually get what I paid for.

To the OP:

Lets go further. There are misfits in every postal system worldwide. The UK is no different.

The loss of the motorcycle registration document should perhaps be reported to the police. Otherwise, the possessor of the document could steal the motorcycle and then perhaps get it transferred to his name.

--

Maestro

That's good advice but at this moment the bike isn't where anyone would look.

...According to the USPS website, the indemnity for registerd mail is $45.51, so that's all you're entitled to....

I believe the compensation limit for the loss of a registered letter is set by the Universal Postal Union (UPU) in consultation with the member states. In Switzerland it is CHF 40, so the USD 45.51 sounds right.

--

Maestro

Sounds right to me but that is for mail sent from the US and the compensation is likely from the USPS.

We have a different situation here, we don't have a loss, we have a possible theft.

Go to the thai postal police. Just as good as the thai eyeglass police, thai egg police, etc......

What is it about ignorant people that they want to show the world their ignorance like a shining beacon of stupidity? The USA has postal police. They are Federal Law Enforcement who safeguard the integrity of the mail.

Is it unreasonable to think that Thailand may have something albiet on a smaller scale. I think not.

Is it ignorant to write what is written above by Keithlee.

Sure is.

postal police diont give a hoot bout the mail. they are there to protect employess from rape, assault, etc. and to protect postal property, like mail trucks.

they not going to investigate why letter didnt reach its destianation.

The OP did not say that, all he wants to know is, who to complain to about stolen mail in Thailand.

Jeeezus H Christ, what's wrong with you people?

Some of you are like puppies with a rag doll.

Give it a rest for chrissake and behave like adults. :o

To the OP:

i have the utmost faith in thai post office. my mortgage pay,ment always gets where it supposed to go.

if it doesnt the postal police is the first place i will go...............lol.

I believe that to get a new Green Book you are going to have to report it lost to the police anyway. You will need a copy of the police report for the Land Transportation/Vehicle Registration people before they issue a replacement Green Book. You (your estranged wife) are going to have say where you believe the document was lost. You could lie but what is the point. To my way of thinking (probably loads on this site would disagree), as you are going to report the loss to the police anyway, why not simply file a complaint against the post office. The police may or may not look into the matter and you also have a copy of the report to get a replacement Green Book.

FYI, in over 20 years here, not one piece of mail to me from overseas, or local mail for that matter, have gone missing or been tampered with. Two items have been officially opened by Customs and resealed with their contents intact.

Hope you get things sorted out. Good luck.