Broadband Wanted Bangkapi At My Gf's Place

JimmyGreaves

I would like to get a broadband connection installed at my GF place in Bangkok.

Questions:

Who to use?

I Cannot give any security as I am on a tourist visa (5 long visits per year). I can pay in advance. What are the requirements

I would like a wireless router (Do I buy my own in BKK or import)

Thanks

I think by who to use, he meant which ISP.

Is the phone line True or TOT? - It will affect who you go for.

True is probably the principal ISP these days, and their broadband is cheap. (but quality of the service, especially latency, is pretty dire.... - as in, pings to True's own DNS servers are faster from Europe than from a True ADSL line.)

CS Loxinfo and Internet Thailand are probably the best of the rest (quality-wise), but they're not as cheap...

Since the phone line is not in your name, you probably can't sign up for ADSL in your own name anyway (Possibly why the last person to answer suggested your girlfriend). Only the person whose name is down as responsible for the line can sign the application. If you're renting, this could be your landlord.

2. True just cares about getting the signature of the person who "owns" the line. There's no security deposit or anything else. (but again, if you're renting, getting your landlard to sign might be an issue).

3. Depends on what country you're in, and how comfortable you are with configuring a router yourself. If you're in the US, forget it, as the supply voltages are different. If you're in the UK/Europe, the routers are cheaper there, and in fact, a lot of the routers sold here are European / UK models. Just make sure you don't get 802.11a (or a/b/g), as 802.11a is not permitted in Thailand - only b and g.

After that, do a search to get the router settings. (True's web page is pretty useless in that regard, but it has been posted on Thaivisa before now...)

Obviously, if you buy a router abroad, you will probably have to buy ADSL filters (commonly called splitters here - no idea why) in Thailand that are correct for the sockets here. (as any filters received with the router will be for the wrong sort of phone sockets).

There is an alternative. depending on where you are in Bangkapi, you might be in range of DTAC's EDGE network. (broadband-ish speeds over wireless.) But only bother if you can get a flat rate per month - last thing anyone wants is to pay by the minute or megabyte...

Obviously, if you buy a router abroad, you will probably have to buy ADSL filters (commonly called splitters here - no idea why) in Thailand that are correct for the sockets here. (as any filters received with the router will be for the wrong sort of phone sockets).

Not obvious at all.

Only a few odd countries like the UK do not use the standard RJ45 telephone jacks.

Anyway, buy the router here, it is probably cheaper and you will have a local guarantee.

True vs Tot & Router

I had True Cable modem broadband and just switched to TOT. True stopped the Cable service so we had to switch to ADSL (telephone).

We got a cheap USB/ethernet router from TOT. We hooked up a wireless router which went surprisingly easy: in a few minutes. My wireless router did not work with the True cable modem, so I was very happy it did with TOT's modem.

No configuration required apart from chaning the IP address, as both routers use the same. TOT also has a wireless router for 3000 baht, which is a good deal.

True has a bad reputation for customer service and I can confirm this. They cannot seem to do anything right the first time. The cable modem was very expensive: we paid around 5000 baht a month. A year ago they did not have the cheap 500 baht ADSL service yet. The connection was often down the first 6 months. Customer service often gives wrong answers.

We are happy with TOT: the setup went smooth within 2 weeks. The connection was down 3 times in the past 6 weeks. It was never more than 4 hours. The speed is faster then our cable modem: it was around 23 kbit/s with True and around 25 kbit/s with TOT. The speed is less stable: in the evening it can be 7 kbit/s and at night it can go up to 45 kbit/s.

I would advice to get the TOT Silver package and to stay clear of True.

If anyone of True is reading this: please contact me as we have many complaints and the helpdesk is really no help at all.

kind regards

Rob Appelboom

Sometimes is such a pity why this board is swarmed with people who like to give advice but haven't done their home work:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are happy with TOT: the setup went smooth within 2 weeks. The connection was down 3 times in the past 6 weeks. It was never more than 4 hours. The speed is faster then our cable modem: it was around 23 kbit/s with True and around 25 kbit/s with TOT. The speed is less stable: in the evening it can be 7 kbit/s and at night it can go up to 45 kbit/s.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this kind of talk? Kilobit? Divide these figures by 8 and how many kbytes do you get?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the phone line is not in your name, you probably can't sign up for ADSL in your own name anyway (Possibly why the last person to answer suggested your girlfriend). Only the person whose name is down as responsible for the line can sign the application. If you're renting, this could be your landlord.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A better advice in this would be, that your GF contacts the Landlord and asks him

if he agrees that she rents her own line. (You get one for free if you sign up for True).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

would advice to get the TOT Silver package and to stay clear of True.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I love True. Even the worse ADSL connection is many times better than a dialup and only for a couple of 100 baht more.

No disconnections, maybe no throughput for a couple of minutes.

But most people don't take the effort to optimize their settings or use programs like Download Accelerator Plus.

Regarding who can sign up, and who can't:

When I signed up for the 256/128 CSLOX service I just had to give them the line number I was going to use, and my name and address to which they send the bill. They didn't photocopy my passport, actually they barely even looked at it, and at the bottom of the sign-up form, there is no place to sign your name. The staff explained that it's not a contract, so there is nothing to sign. So, there is no agreement, and anyone who wants to sign up, can. By the same logic, it can be cancelled at any time. They didn't want any money up front, either. 800 baht to sign up, they had it up and running after 4 days. That their service is mediocre, at best, is another story, check my previous post if you care to read it.

True was as awful as people say here and worse, but everything was eventually sorted AFTER i started to take people's names and mention them in the next conversation i had. Assign the buggers some responsibility even if they refuse to take it. Make sure you get the name right at the start of the convo before you get a little heated. Customer Care were a lot better when i started talking to supervisors direct - no BS just ask for them as soon as you get another staff member.

I've had the service now for around 18mths and it is running smoothly.

Can't comment on other services as i haven't tried them.