Does Thailand Want Us Here?

thaimate

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have read statistics in the past suggesting thai prostitutes working outside thailand far exceed those working in thailand

thailand may well be famous for prostitution but does not have a significantly higher proportion of the population working as prostitutes than other asian countries

the disproprtionate noteriety may in part be put down to the class of foreigners who visit :o

i have read statistics in the past suggesting thai prostitutes working outside thailand far exceed those working in thailand

thailand may well be famous for prostitution but does not have a significantly higher proportion of the population working as prostitutes than other asian countries

the disproprtionate noteriety may in part be put down to the class of foreigners who visit :o

You may well be wrong. Any other Asian country where 4+% (2.8 million)(2004) of the population work in prostitution?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Thailand.

Regards.

let me remind everyone that discussing prostitution is against forum rules

please keep that in mind. further posts referring to, will be deleted and the poster warned :o

You may well be wrong. Any other Asian country where 4+% (2.8 million)(2004) of the population work in prostitution?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Thailand.

Regards.

if you are going to claim a source suggest wiki is very far from the best

If you want to really want to know what being unwanted is, consider some historical examples;

1. From Britain - Hansard 26 November, 1956

Her Majesty's Government have been deeply shocked by the news received through the Swiss Ministry of Foreign Affairs who had a report from their Minister in Cairo on 23rd November to the effect that all members of the British and French communities in Egypt were to be expelled within the next week or 10 days. Each person was to be allowed to take a maximum of £20 with him. The British subjects concerned number about 13,000 in all. These include those of United Kingdom origin as well as Maltese and Cypriots.

2. Following the establishment of Israel in 1948 hundreds of thousands of arabs that practiced judaism were expelled from arab countries with the loss of real estate and businesses that is valued at over USD$300billion and that owned real estate totaling 2-4X the size of Israel. In 1956, jews were given 24hours to leave Egypt and they lost all possessions.

3. In 1972, Uganda's "Asians" were given 90 days to leave Uganda. They lost all possessions. In order to speed up the process, President for Life Idi Amin would kill a few asians every day. (Mr. Amin lived out his life in peace in Saudi Arabia.)

4. Starting in the late 1700's native Americans were forced off their land by European settlers' governments and their successor USA and Canadian governments. This process of land grabbing continued into the early 1900s until their was nothing left to take.

5. Following the partition of British India into Pakistan and India, millions of Hindus and Sikhs were expelled from Pakistan and Muslims from India. The people that had lived in their villages for centuries lost everything.

Within the context of the 5 examples above, I think that the current annoyances of Thai regulations and visas pales in comparison. If people think they have it tough, consider the horrible fate of the people in the above 5 snippets of history. That is why I count my blessings and am grateful that the Thais aren't as nasty as some people.

Visa rules aren't crazy if you apply for a one year visa in your home country.

If you're feeling flush and don't want to fly home to do it then about 23,000 baht to a visa firm in BKK will courier the passport back to the UK and get you a 1 year visa while you smile all the way to the border :o

That's illegal.

According to Thai law you have to be in the country the visa is issued in at the time the visa is issued.

The former owner of Thaivisa; Lars, I think his name was, was busted by Immigration for sending foreigners' passports out of Thailand for visas. To Brisbane Consulate I believe. He used to have an office on mid-Sukhumvit until about 2000.

Not true, You must have legally exited Thailand. There is no Thai law stating you must be in the country where you apply, only that you are not in Thailand !

regards

Freddie

they keep coming out with guff about making Thailand the perfect destination but to my mind its just b-llocks.

what do you lot think?

its clear that Thailand wants only well-to-do tourists to come here for a couple of weeks, spend a lot of money, have no interaction with the 'real Thailand', just the tourist spots, and bugger off home. they really don't give a sheet about the long term expats but i wonder who spend more in Thailand overall?

what is the real thailand? isnt it a party country?

or people making 1$ a day picking rice. give me the fake thailand any day over the real one. :o

los isnt unlike other countries, no country wants hobos as tourists. hard on the infrastructure.

Edited by saywhat

Within the context of the 5 examples above, I think that the current annoyances of Thai regulations and visas pales in comparison. That is why I count my blessings and am grateful that the Thais aren't as nasty as some people.

Yet............ :D:o

its clear that Thailand wants only well-to-do tourists to come here for a couple of weeks, spend a lot of money, have no interaction with the 'real Thailand', just the tourist spots, and bugger off home. they really don't give a sheet about the long term expats but i wonder who spend more in Thailand overall?

True but then again they have 70 million or so of their own to worry about already.

On the one hand I hate the fact my wife can be equal here in the USA but I cannot be equal there in Thailand.

But.......Having been born & raised in a Kingdom that became a somewhat unwilling state of the USA I can also see the fate of that.

Local folks can no longer afford land here as the speculators/foreigners have bought up everything & priced it well beyond their reach.

In some areas even the local folks that had lands from over 75 years ago end up losing it in the end. Because property values soar so do their property taxes. Thus they end up selling rather than losing it all together.

None of that would have happened if they had kept the keys to the gate.

So in that respect I do see a method to Thailand's madness.

Within the context of the 5 examples above, I think that the current annoyances of Thai regulations and visas pales in comparison. That is why I count my blessings and am grateful that the Thais aren't as nasty as some people.

Yet............ :D:o

True but then again they have 70 million or so of their own to worry about already.

On the one hand I hate the fact my wife can be equal here in the USA but I cannot be equal there in Thailand.

But.......Having been born & raised in a Kingdom that became a somewhat unwilling state of the USA I can also see the fate of that.

Local folks can no longer afford land here as the speculators/foreigners have bought up everything & priced it well beyond their reach.

In some areas even the local folks that had lands from over 75 years ago end up losing it in the end. Because property values soar so do their property taxes. Thus they end up selling rather than losing it all together.

None of that would have happened if they had kept the keys to the gate.

So in that respect I do see a method to Thailand's madness.

Money is one complaint, but is a worldwide issue.... everyone wants it, not just Thai's :D

Do Thai's like Falang apart from the money?

Are we talking about Thai govt. and policies, or the people on the street?

If Thai Govt, always taking care of own interests.... natural to some extent.... but true, not as equal for those married to Thai's who would like to own land.... however, being very beautiful, wouldn't allowing falang to own land also increase the amount of marriages.... no ladies left for the Thai guys coz suddenly there's even more bonus to being married to a Thai. Result, no land left either! By the way, the country is run by Thai guys.

If people on the street.... depends on their interactions with the falangs they cross..... some falangs can't get into a taxi without going beserk and getting hit over the head. Other falangs look at every woman like she can be paid for his pleasure. They get hot headed at everything thrown their way.

Others come, are genuine, not social outcasts from their home countries, and get on with life. They interact calmly and pleasantly with people, rather than ranting and raving. In my experience, they are welcome, even if they don't have alot of money. More welcome than the rich prick who's a donkey's ass who can't control himself.

Getting back to the three stages of living in Thailand;

1) party stage; everything is great, rose colored glasses

2) can't stand it; too many contradictions, enemy to the the state

3) Accept Thailand for what it is... has good, and bad. Same as everywhere, right?

Mind you, stage 3 tends to be subject to a heavy dose of stage 2 most of the time.

I don't care whether I'm welcome, but I do care about how happily I live; not influenced to a large extent if we're welcome or not... really nothing too bad to complain about in Thailand at the moment.

If I had to imagine my wife living in Oz, sure, the Govt. has some great anti-discrimination policies. And while many people (usually those who have travelled a little) may be warm and welcoming, many rednecks wouldn't...... or the type of falang mentioned above that can't get along even in their own countries.

So, is there any answer? I think just get on with life and enjoy Thailand. It's freakin hot, visa's are a pain in the ass, but that happens. Take care, keep your head on, love your family and smile alot. Be careful with money, but appreciate a little for those who don't..... not neccessarily those who want to take it though...!

Long post, eh. Blab.

In most cases, they would prefer for you to just send the money and stay in your own country. If it is necessary for you to stay here while spending your money, they will usually put up with you.

If you want to really want to know what being unwanted is, consider some historical examples;

Her Majesty's Government have been deeply shocked by the news received through the Swiss Ministry of Foreign Affairs who had a report from their Minister in Cairo on 23rd November to the effect that all members of the British and French communities in Egypt were to be expelled within the next week or 10 days. Each person was to be allowed to take a maximum of £20 with him. The British subjects concerned number about 13,000 in all. These include those of United Kingdom origin as well as Maltese and Cypriots.

2. Following the establishment of Israel in 1948 hundreds of thousands of arabs that practiced judaism were expelled from arab countries with the loss of real estate and businesses that is valued at over USD$300billion and that owned real estate totaling 2-4X the size of Israel. In 1956, jews were given 24hours to leave Egypt and they lost all possessions.

3. In 1972, Uganda's "Asians" were given 90 days to leave Uganda. They lost all possessions. In order to speed up the process, President for Life Idi Amin would kill a few asians every day. (Mr. Amin lived out his life in peace in Saudi Arabia.)

4. Starting in the late 1700's native Americans were forced off their land by European settlers' governments and their successor USA and Canadian governments. This process of land grabbing continued into the early 1900s until their was nothing left to take.

5. Following the partition of British India into Pakistan and India, millions of Hindus and Sikhs were expelled from Pakistan and Muslims from India. The people that had lived in their villages for centuries lost everything.

Within the context of the 5 examples above, I think that the current annoyances of Thai regulations and visas pales in comparison. If people think they have it tough, consider the horrible fate of the people in the above 5 snippets of history. That is why I count my blessings and am grateful that the Thais aren't as nasty as some people.

In all of the cases you pointed out, xenophobia was at one time at the same level it is currently in in Thailand.

What you have illustrated is that xenophobia, left unchecked, can lead to extreme situations for foreigners.

Thailand's xenophobia is not being checked. It is, in fact, rising.

Weeeeeeeeee, another thread about us and them.

When you use the term "us", please don't assume that we are all the same. If your "us" includes people of marginal income, lacking needed job skills or not possessing an ability to truly contribute to the well being and economic growth of Thailand, then yes, your assessment is correct. Horrible isn't it that

So let's look at your complaints shall we?

draconian visa regulations

Thailand has the same position as other countries like Australia, Canada, the USA and the EU. When was the last time you saw Australia set up a recruiting booth in Africa, India or even Europe and ask uneducated people that would contribute nothing of great value to the society or economy to move to Australia? You do realize that the UK, USA etc. all impose financial requirements in order to obtain investment or retirement visas right? Do you know how difficult it is for a Thai to get a tourist visa to a western country?

things like double pricing,

We already have a thread going on that but I know from my own experience in other countries that I often paid more for local services. Need some examples? Take boring Canada;

- University tuition for "foreign" students is in the tens of thousands while students resident in the province pay only a few thousand.

- Medical care is "free" to residents that may pay for some services such as non hospital based tests. Foreigners pay rates and costs that would preclude most Thais from obtaining medical care. For example, the charge to a non resident for a doctor visit can be $100-$250 depending upon the province. This is significantly higher than the $20-$40. a foreigner is charged in Thailand.

- Entrance to SixFlags amusement park in Montreal: Non residents pay approx. 2X the cost of residents.

150 baht charge to take your money out of an a.t.m.

What's your point? Western banks do the same thing. When use a bank that isn't my branch in the west, I pay an atm access fee + my bank's added fee. This can amount to 150B as well. I just noticed that my west issued Mastercard has been adding 200b fees to my card for purchases I made on the internet in the west.

,not being able to own land ,

Did you know that in Prince Edward Island, Canada non residents are not allowed to purchase land? The locals passed the law because they were worried about all sorts of rich foreigners coming in and buying up the province. It has withstood all sorts of court challenges because the law was intended to protect the local culture. Just like in PEI, if there would be a free for all in Thailand that would occur if foreigners were allowed to own land. Large chunks of agricultural land would be drawn out of the economy. Nevermind that, but alot of folks whining about not being able to buy land might then be whining about Indians, Chinese and Arabs forcing up land prices beyond the reach of western retirees because they were on buying sprees.

For those of "us" that are responsible citizens and have either the financial wherewithall or important job skills or that can help the economy, the welcome is there. If someone just wants to sit around drinking beer and copulating with impoverished sex workers in Pattaya and that would be considered trash in his or her own country, no the welcome isn't there.

Maybe we arew the lucky ones, the final generation to enjoy a fading paradise. I for one am glad I dont live in the too PC world of Gordon Brown et al in the UK.

Do I wish I could own fully my house and land? sure and if I was not so happily attached maybe I would be looking at new destinations like Vietnam but overall, it aint bad

In all of the cases you pointed out, xenophobia was at one time at the same level it is currently in in Thailand.

What you have illustrated is that xenophobia, left unchecked, can lead to extreme situations for foreigners.

it is not unchecked, its carefully managed :o

it is not unchecked, its carefully managed :o

Good point. Unfortunately, it appears as though the managers want to increase the level of xenophobia.

Let's see - your examples happened when?

example 1. 1956

2. 1948 and 1956

3. 1972

4. 1700's to early 1900's

5. 1947

So your comparisons happened (at best) 37 years ago.

I think the topic is about Thailand in the 21st century!

Having said that I think it is still A LOT easier for Westerners to move to Thailand than it is for Asians to move to the West.

If someone from the West brings an Asian partner back home, IF Immigration believe the marriage is genuine, and the partner will not be a drain on the state, then yes, there are no more hurdles to jump. (As far as I know, I'm not an expert on the subject!) In Thailand I can only assume that the Thai governments think it happens too often and they're not convinced the Westerners are bringing money into the country. Perhaps they assume they are taking Thai jobs.

As in any country, if you are wealthy enough it is a lot easier to move to that country. If you're not - they don't want you!

If you're feeling flush and don't want to fly home to do it then about 23,000 baht to a visa firm in BKK will courier the passport back to the UK and get you a 1 year visa while you smile all the way to the border :o

That's illegal.

According to Thai law you have to be in the country the visa is issued in at the time the visa is issued.

The former owner of Thaivisa; Lars, I think his name was, was busted by Immigration for sending foreigners' passports out of Thailand for visas. To Brisbane Consulate I believe. He used to have an office on mid-Sukhumvit until about 2000.

Not true, You must have legally exited Thailand. There is no Thai law stating you must be in the country where you apply, only that you are not in Thailand !

regards

Freddie

Incorrect.

"Nationals of certain countries are required to apply for a visa only at the Thai Embassy or Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the designated Thai Embassy."

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489

Having said that I think it is still A LOT easier for Westerners to move to Thailand than it is for Asians to move to the West.

Tourists and temporary residents yes.

But not to become permanent residents, become citizens and have equal rights.

There are quotas of maximum 100 per nationality allowed to become permanent residents in Thailand each year, far less for citizenship as I mentioned before.

During Songkran, children began throwing water over me in my village.

I told them to stop but they wouldn`t listen.

So I called the police. The policeman who spoke reasonable English asked me, what is my problem? I explained that these kids have no right to throw water over me and I`m sick of it.

The policeman replied; this is Thailand, you are a foreigner here and if I don`t like it, I should go back home.

You can`t speak to me like that, I said, I`m British and we are not foreigners in any country, my Dad fought a war for you bastards. Than I showed him my British passport.

The policeman immediately apologised and the next day cancelled all Songkran activities in my area.

So there you are, who says they don`t want us here?

Tourists and temporary residents yes.

But not to become permanent residents, become citizens and have equal rights.

There are quotas of maximum 100 per nationality allowed to become permanent residents in Thailand each year, far less for citizenship as I mentioned before.

But the point is that it is incredibly difficult for an Asian to even get a temporary visa in the West, let alone a permanent visa!

During Songkran, children began throwing water over me in my village.

I told them to stop but they wouldn`t listen.

So I called the police. The policeman who spoke reasonable English asked me, what is my problem? I explained that these kids have no right to throw water over me and I`m sick of it.

The policeman replied; this is Thailand, you are a foreigner here and if I don`t like it, I should go back home.

You can`t speak to me like that, I said, I`m British and we are not foreigners in any country, my Dad fought a war for you bastards. Than I showed him my British passport.

The policeman immediately apologised and the next day cancelled all Songkran activities in my area.

So there you are, who says they don`t want us here?

OH MY GOD!!! I just had a vision of a monty pyton skit...johm cleese plays you in uniform and having a farang fit in the midday sun, and michael palin (with boot polish) playing the thai policeman and saying to the children in pidgin thai/english "leave alone this crazy old farang having a farang fit...JUST DON'T MENTION THE WAR". :o

Seriously though, I am glad it worked for you and Songkran was cancelled in your area!

That's illegal.

regards

Freddie

Incorrect.

"Nationals of certain countries are required to apply for a visa only at the Thai Embassy or Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the designated Thai Embassy."

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489

And there is the sticking point. It doesnt actually say which are the certain countries. I think if you dig a little deeper you will find that the "certain countries" are those that require a visa before they can even travel to LOS. For those countries that have 30 day visa on arrival TMK there is no such requirement. I regularly apply for a Thai visa when I am out of LOS but not in the UK. I use my second passport (which has all my Thai Visa's and have done this in UK, Australia and Singapore, while I was not physically present in those countries.

Also I would respectfully submit that your link is to a requirement posted on a website, not to an actual law that is on the books.

regards

Freddie

geriatrickid,all your points are true,but it would be nice if farang married to thais were given more consideration,re visa requirements,owning house and land come to mind.after all the farang is legally married and will probably be taking care of extended family to some degree and i think should be given more consideration because of this.

:o

Had a bad day have you?

No offense meant, but.....

Look, everyone has problems and everywhere is not "paradise".

I have a Thai family and I have to work outside Thailand to make a living. I get to see them twice a year if I'm lucky.

I've raised 3 Thai children and now one grandchild...no one (except my family) has ever said thanks for it.

I've supported a family for over 20 years working outside of Thailand.

Did I do all that because I wanted someone to say, "Thank you, Farang"?

No I did it for them.

Because I love them.

Beyond that, I don't need anything else.

But I know, because they told me, they love me. I'm dad. And now I'm grand-dad.

All the rest is meaningless anyhow.

Stop complaining, and grow up.

:D

And there is the sticking point. It doesnt actually say which are the certain countries. I think if you dig a little deeper you will find that the "certain countries" are those that require a visa before they can even travel to LOS. For those countries that have 30 day visa on arrival TMK there is no such requirement. I regularly apply for a Thai visa when I am out of LOS but not in the UK. I use my second passport (which has all my Thai Visa's and have done this in UK, Australia and Singapore, while I was not physically present in those countries.

Also I would respectfully submit that your link is to a requirement posted on a website, not to an actual law that is on the books.

regards

Freddie

The website is the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs criteria for visa application.

Sending your passport overseas to obtain visas while you are not present in that country is against Thai law. I can assure you the law is quite clear about visa application.

Edited by Oberkommando

?????????????????

Do you mean you do not understand that statement?

If so here it is ...................

In this State as well as all US States the real property ( real estate) you own is appraised by the government. You are then taxed on that valuation. X amount of dollars per 1000 dollars of value. It was 8/1000 long ago I have not checked what it is now.

So if you lived in an area where say you built back in the 1950's like many local families here you have a low cost. Yet when the speculative buyers (mostly asian)

came especially in the 1970's & paid crazy high prices (millions USD) for these homes. The folks who didnt sell suddenly had a new valuation. Oh I forgot to mention that every two years you are revalued. This can work for & against you.

In the case I mentioned it worked very badly against older retired folks on fixed incomes. So much so that many were forced to sell rather than lose the home to unpaid back taxes.

Death & Taxes eh? :o

regards

Freddie

The website is the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs criteria for visa application.

Sending your passport overseas to obtain visas while you are not present in that country is against Thai law. I can assure you the law is quite clear about visa application.

Once again, can you point me towards the actual Law, not the ministry requirement. The reason I carry two Passports is that my job often requires me to be applying for a visa/work permit while I am working in another country. In this case my company receives one passport from me and applies for the visa, while I am using the other passport. I have been doing this for 30 years without any problem. There are also other posts on Thaivisa from people who have successfully used this method to obtain a visa without problems.

regards

Freddie