Pfa Awards

The Vulcan

What an absolute joke. If they want to give someone a lifetime achievement award. Then do exactly that. How on earth someone who isn't even Uniteds player of the year can get this award is beyond me.

"THEY" as I understand it are his fellow professionals not a United conspiracy. Giggs who in my opinion should have won at least one award in the 18 years or so he has be at United is indeed fortunate to win it this season. Maybe a poll of why his felow professionsals voted for him is in order.

As i said and i stand by it. It is more of a lifetime achievement award. Even die hard United fans i know, admit it. The fact that he has been historically one of the most outstanding servants you have ever had, is totally irrelevant. As mentioned above, he's only started 12 games and scored one goal. Well if that makes him player of the year, even Joey Barton must be in for a shout :o

As for Uniteds player of the year please enlighten us I wasn't aware it had already been awarded

Who is the current holder? Who was it the year before? Ronaldo or Ryan Giggs :D

Do you honestly think this year that Giggs has outshone Vidic, Ronaldo, Rooney, Ferdinand, Van Der Sar etc. Jaysus, even Berbatov has outshone him this year.

But if you want to give awards based on sentimentality, that's upto you :D

If you read my post correctly you would see that I said Giggs was FORTUNATE to win the award> I didnt say he deserved it.I also did not say he has outshone other players. My vote would be for a player that didnt even make the team of the year Wayne Rooney closely followed by Vidic.

We would all agree,I think, that voting in January makes the whole award,which is agood idea, meaningless.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read my post correctly you would see that I said Giggs was FORTUNATE to win the award> I didnt say he deserved it.

So what are we arguing about then? We are in total agreement. He didn't deserve it :o

Vulcan, i think that now makes it unanimous :D

First I would like to point out that the PFA award is a 'PLAYER OF THE YEAR' award NOT a

'PLAYER OF THE SEASON' award.

The players voted for who they thought was the best player thoughout 2008, NOT just the

first half of the 2008/9 season as people here who quote figures from the whole of this season

so far seem to think.

Ferguson said at the beginning of the season he would have to pick and choose the games

he was able to play Giggs in and although he hasn't played in every game for the first half

of this season Ferguson did play him in the important games giving him specific jobs to do

and he played exceptionally well in all of those games, whether he started or came on as

sub. Not only that when you look back to the second half of last season Giggs' consistant

form was one of the major reasons why Manchester United won both the premier league

again as well as the Champions league.

Taking the whole of 2008 into account Giggs had probably one of his best and most

consistant years ever and was certainly one of the better Man Utd players in a year where

practically all of them played well. I know we all have our own opinions on who should win

awards (and for non utd fans it's usually an 'anyone but a utd player' attitude), and we can

all make a good argument for our own favorite player and players such as Gerard, Lampard

and Vidic were just as deserving this year but to suggest that Giggs was given it as a

'lifetime achievement' award is, I think, insulting to the professional players who voted

for him.

Rant Over.........and personally I think it should have gone to Vidic.

Edited by sumrit

Who said we are unamious ? ,thats your call not mine

I didn't see much support for Giggs !

Can you get your addled brain around the fact that Giggs was voted number 1 by his fellow professionals, not by members of Thai Visa, his family ,his fan club or United supporters........ get over it !!!

I have to say that "Giggsy" is a worthy winner.

C'mon the man has been and done it all and still brings an extra dimension to every game he plays in. His fellow professionals have shown their recognition for a model footballer.

PS 17 Years (quite remakable) prior experience doesn't go unnoticed........... :)

:D .. :D .. :D .. :D .. :D

Faye crap,that just shows what crap managers you have had.Its all about getting the best out of players and fortunately our manager can,shame about your managers.

BYE BYE PREMIERSHIP

CARTOON ARMY

Youre the most predictable poster on Thaivisa.

Im all for banter, but cant you just for once try with your mind that as a child was seemingly damaged in the UK's capital of mental illness come up with something original, just for once .... please!

Anyway Faye wouldnt make it into anyones choice of players of the season lists nor would any Stoke City players, but Rory Delap would probably be the Premier Leagues greatest shotputter.

Totaly clueless,let me guess you are a cartoon fan.

shotputter,do you know how to play football??? as the ball is thrown totaly different than a shotput.no wonder you are close to relegation with gutless managers,a non manager who has to bring Dowie in lol,now thats funny,he gets the sack everywhere he goes.What Stoke have done is a miracle and Pullis deserves manager of the year for hopefully keeping us in the Premiership,when smart <deleted> like you think that supporting a team like the Titanic is big and clever.We have listened to shit like yours for years and we will not take it now.Faye has been magnificent since his peanuts move form the Cartoon and thanks King Kevin for your one good decision before you abandoned ship AGAIN.You would have had a chance of survival with a fighter like Faye but your team is made up og BOTTLERS.

Rant Over.........and personally I think it should have gone to Vidic.

So, to cut your long story short, it's still unanimous then :)

Far from it. I don't think there was a lot to choose between lampard, gerard, Vidic and Giggs. Personally

I would have chosen Vidic but, after considering players performances over the whole of 2008, the

professional players, who are far more knowedgeable than me and probably most people on this forum,

prefered Giggs, and I don't have a problem with that, unlike some people here who get the rules wrong

then criticize the decision.

And the main reason for my post was to point out that the PFA award is for a players performance over

a calender year and not over a season. If you can't even understand the rules how are we expected to

take your comments seriously. I mean Steve Ireland might have been top dog at Manchester City this

season but thats only half the time the players are judging performances over and, lets face it he hasn't

got a lot of competition at the City of Manchester stadium has he. :D:D

after considering players performances over the whole of 2008,

You keep on saying this but have you got a link to confirm your view, that it is for the whole of 2008?

I'm as sure as i possibly can be, that it is for the season 2008/2009. And that is what the controversy is about. The fact that the season isn't even over but they have to vote in March.

As for Stevie Ireland. Anybody who has seen him regularly this season has to admt he had a decent chance of winning the young player of the year.

i've never heard of this award being for the calendar year until this season. if it was for the calendar year then ballots would go out in november and the award would be given in about january. i'm 99% certain that it's for the 2008/09 season.

i've never heard of this award being for the calendar year until this season. if it was for the calendar year then ballots would go out in november and the award would be given in about january. i'm 99% certain that it's for the 2008/09 season.

Yep. In fact i'm now 100% sure. Here is the PFA website and it's got Giggs as the winner for 2009. So it's either for him winning the 2009 year (all 3 1/2 months of it) :) or for the 2008/09 season.

http://www.givemefootball.com/pfa-awards/p.../roll-of-honour

And this is for the PFA Fans Award. Which clearly states it is for 2008/09 season.

http://fansaward.givemefootball.com/rules-of-game

And the main reason for my post was to point out that the PFA award is for a players performance over

a calender year and not over a season. If you can't even understand the rules how are we expected to

take your comments seriously.

If that really was the main reason for your post, then your opinion is now null and void. As it is obviously you who doesn't understand the rules. :D In your words, I can no longer take you seriously. :)

If that really was the main reason for your post, then your opinion is now null and void. As it is obviously you who doesn't understand the rules. :D In your words, I can no longer take you seriously. :)

Please correct me if I am wrong Mr BJ but the award in question is...

1) Voted on by the players at the end of 2008 calendar year?

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-leag...usive-interview

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-leag...usive-interview

where does it say that?

OK i will correct you james.

Firstly, the votes are not at the end of the 2008 calender year. They are voted for in March.

Secondly, this is what Gordon Taylor had to say about them in an interview.

PFA chief unrepentant over awards voting system

Gordon Taylor has no problems with the Professional Footballers' Association awards.

Manchester United veteran Ryan Giggs landed the top gong on Sunday after having made just 12 starts this season.

Part of the problem appears to be that nominations and winners are decided back in March, long before the season comes to close.

"It used to be earlier," Taylor told Sky Sports News.

"It used to coincide with the Carling Cup final because that is virtually the start of the last lap.

"It's all about convenience and practicality. Sometimes there are a rush of commitments at the end of the season.

"We will stand up and be counted over the players' choice. If you look at the winners, there will not be many times they get it wrong."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/pfa-chief-un...g-system-241041

Think it's even more farcical that only one non-Manchester United player was among the candidates. This isn't a team award, but an individual one, right? Plenty of top players from any club who should be in there as a nominee. And if it truly was for the whole of 2008, why wouldn't Torres be in there? If for the season understandable because he's been injured so much, but he played plenty at the end of last season and scored many goals.

Edited by Jimjim

Think it's even more farcical that only one non-Manchester United player was among the candidates. This isn't a team award, but an individual one, right? Plenty of top players from any club who should be in there as a nominee. And if it truly was for the whole of 2008, why wouldn't Torres be in there? If for the season understandable because he's been injured so much, but he played plenty at the end of last season and scored many goals.

while I don't disagree that Torres should be on the list - complaining to us won't really change a thing - write to the PFA.

one lad already did. and received the predictably snotty response.

Gordon Taylor sparks PFA poll furore over 'Zimbabwe' jibe

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/ap...iggs-pfa-awards

• Union chief executive in row over player awards

• Defence of Giggs' nomination leads to trouble

Gordon Taylor was responding to a fan who had questioned Ryan Giggs' inclusion on the shortlist for the PFA Player of the Year award Photograph: Tom Jenkins/Guardian

Gordon Taylor, the chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association, has admitted telling a football fan to "go to Zimbabwe" after being questioned about the fairness of the voting for this season's player of the year award.

Taylor was responding to an email from a Manchester City supporter who felt that Ryan Giggs did not deserve to be among the six candidates. The £1.2m-a-year ­executive became involved in an exchange of emails and became exasperated when it was pointed out that Giggs had started only 12 league games.

"I can only tell you the situation as it is," Taylor wrote to the fan. "If you are not happy and consider yourself such an expert on ballots perhaps you had better go to Zimbabwe or Russia the next time they have elections and tell everybody how they should vote as they put their votes in the ballot box!"

His retort could be construed as insensitive, at best, given that voters in Zimbabwe at the last elections were subjected to "systematic torture and beatings". Taylor, however, was unrepentant when it was put to him that his remarks, published on the Bluemoon fans' website, had gone down badly. Several fans had accused him of lacking professionalism.

"There seems to be a feeling that somebody at the PFA decides the nominations," Taylor said last night. "There's not an understanding that these are ballot papers sent to every player. That voting takes place in February and March. One lad kept writing in, so I said if you think you are such an expert, why not go outside a ballot box in Russia or Zimbabwe and tell them how to do it."

Giggs, who could make his 800th appearance for United when they play Tottenham Hotspur today, is the favourite to win the award at tomorrow's PFA dinner.

The email exchange

I am wondering how Ryan Giggs has been nominated for this award due to the fact he has only started 12 games this season. As your award is based on Premiership games I wonder how he could get this vote ahead of people such as Lampard, Van Persie, Torres etc. There is no doubting his ability over the years but this award is for this season and he has been average. Please can you clarify this, as it does seem like an honest mistake by you.

Thank you

Adam

Adam

Thank you for your email of 14th April regarding the nominations for the PFA Awards. The nominations are the top six players voted for as Players' Player and Young Player. In addition, players in each division vote for an All Star Team in the division they play in. These are voted for by all the players who are balloted in the months of February and March and as such are an assessment of the vast majority of the season, albeit it does exclude the run in when individual players and teams can suddenly come to the fore. The voting process is done in order to avoid clashing with the Football Writers' Award and history shows that players have invariably got it right although football being what it is you can never please everybody all the time.

Regards

Gordon Taylor

Chief Executive - PFA

Thankyou for your automated response! It did not address the question I put forward! Giggs had only started 8 games in the season when the voting process occurred so how can he be considered one of the best players?? He was not sparkling in those 8 games - only scoring 2 goals! To have a sentimental vote for him does not really concede to the player-of-the-season status, does it?

Adam

Adam Reference your email.

I can only tell you the situation as it is and if you are not happy then if you consider yourself such an expert on ballots perhaps you had better go to Zimbabwe or Russia the next time they have elections and tell everybody how they should vote as they put their votes in the ballot box!

Gordon

tell me this - besides you LP guys, anyone else on here including UTD fans really care two winks about this award?

I suspect that if LP was in the CL still and in first place in the league - then all this carry-on would not even be an issue.

The players voted on it.

Don't like it?

Become one and cast your vote.

after considering players performances over the whole of 2008,

You keep on saying this but have you got a link to confirm your view, that it is for the whole of 2008?

I'm as sure as i possibly can be, that it is for the season 2008/2009. And that is what the controversy is about. The fact that the season isn't even over but they have to vote in March.

As for Stevie Ireland. Anybody who has seen him regularly this season has to admt he had a decent chance of winning the young player of the year.

OK, I haven't got a link at the moment, but to say that players are only voting on what amounts to performances for about 5 months of each year seemed to be even more of a farce

than having an unpopular winner as some people are suggesting here. My 10 year old grandson trains with a premiership club so before I posted my first comment I got my son to try

to find out more from somebody at the club. He asked my grandsons trainer who, I believe, is an ex professional and HE said that although Giggs is listed as the 2009 winner the players

were voting on his performances for the whole of 2008 and not for the 2008/9 season. Thats why I posted what I did, but I will try to find out more then post again. :D

By the way your post with the link to the PFA web site says that Giggs is the 2009 PFA player of the year, not the 2008/9 PFA player of the season so that doesn't clarify anything.

And I agree Steve Ireland has had an excellent season and deserves the praise, my sarcasm was just pointing out that he's shining in what is basicly a mediocre side :)

Edited by sumrit