Thai Language Lessons On Samui

I went to the Mind Your Language website to check on Thai lessons. They say there to send an email for prices and class schedules. I did that and got no reply. So, are there any other language schools around? I'm not looking to become fluent or have conversations at this point. Just maybe a month to learn some basics. And no, I don't want to live with someone 24/7 to accomplish this either. :o

I went to the Mind Your Language website to check on Thai lessons. They say there to send an email for prices and class schedules. I did that and got no reply. So, are there any other language schools around? I'm not looking to become fluent or have conversations at this point. Just maybe a month to learn some basics. And no, I don't want to live with someone 24/7 to accomplish this either. :o

Koheeesti,

They are just down the road from you in Soi monkey ,might be better to just pop in.

Why not to try a common neighboring Thai school? Or perhaps even a temple?

A teacher in my neighbor Thai primary school agreed to train me (for free), but a huge problem was that he did not speak English at all. If you find an English speaking teacher or monk - it'd be a nice opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what you are expecting from a language course at beginners-level. In course 1 you will learn how to say "hello" or how to order food. You can learn that in every bar. But what about life outside bars?

I just finished course 5 and I can only say that you learn real Thai at "Mind your language". Every lesson is very useful and I can practise what we've learned straight away. More important is the fact that Thais understand my Thai straight away, so conversations are running smoothly and I have lots fun talking to them.

The teaching is excellent and you can feel that Jom and his teachers have a long experience in doing so.

I can strongly recommend the school, but you shouldn't drop out only after finishing the beginners-course, otherwise it would really be better to pick up your Thai from bars.

I wonder what you are expecting from a language course at beginners-level. In course 1 you will learn how to say "hello" or how to order food. You can learn that in every bar. But what about life outside bars?

I just finished course 5 and I can only say that you learn real Thai at "Mind your language". Every lesson is very useful and I can practise what we've learned straight away. More important is the fact that Thais understand my Thai straight away, so conversations are running smoothly and I have lots fun talking to them.

The teaching is excellent and you can feel that Jom and his teachers have a long experience in doing so.

I can strongly recommend the school, but you shouldn't drop out only after finishing the beginners-course, otherwise it would really be better to pick up your Thai from bars.

How about writing or reading? Any language not using western alphabet is dead, apart chinese, they are too many.....

How about writing or reading? Any language not using western alphabet is dead, apart chinese, they are too many.....

So how about arabic lol? Just thought I should echo the last caller, Ive also been very impressed by teaching at mind your language, having exhausted most of what I could pick up at the bar (dont knock it though, got me started anyway...).

I have just signed up for a reading and writing course there, though this is a new project so I cannot comment on the quality yet, though if anything like the spoken thai lessons I will be made up. I have found them to be well taught and well planned but also a good laugh and nice way to meet other folks staying a bit longer in the country. They do a free introductory lesson I think , or certainly used to anyway, so i think you would be really missing out if you didnt check it out to be honest. I did try LTC about a year ago , i am not sure if they are still going, but they werent nearly as good..

good luck anyway!