Have To Go Back Home To Vote?

Merlin

Hi,

Is it true that my wife has to go back to her parent's hometown to vote in the upcoming election? She can't vote here? It seems strange to me, but then again, TIT, I guess.

If it's true, I expect half the country's population will be travelling back home - I wonder if that's the reason for the holiday the day before?

Many Iraqis in Australia were able to vote in the last few days - thousands of miles away from their hometowns, and absentee voting in Australian elections is routine. I wonder why they can't do that here?

I'm in HK with my Thai wife - she's going to be voting tomorrow in Kowloon City - meeting up with a lot of mates and making a party of it. Don't know about arrangements within Thailand but would be surprised if your wife had to go her mothers' home town if she has a registered home elsewhere.

I believe that all eligible Thai voters, in Thailand, have to do so in their family locality(I've fogotten the name for this).

As voting is compulsory here there are penalties for not voting - ie the person can lose health or educational rights for themselves and their children.

I remember 4 years ago and the chaos this caused with countless people flocking back "home". Travelling was as hard, or harder, than at Songrkan etc.

I also would like to know more about what the penalties are for not voting. Thai friends I have spoken to are pretty vague about the situation.

You have to vote where you are registered and that is where you are listed on the home register so most people from upcountry in the big cities never change and must travel to their home province to vote. There is early (this weekend) voting at province level office for those unable to get to their home district on election day and the penalty for not voting is basic you have no right to complain; as listed here:

http://thailand.prd.go.th/the_inside_view.php?id=577

Edited by lopburi3

That link was interesting. I suppose that if you havn't voted, you've shouldn't expect to be able to legally criticise any government policies.

Nevertheless, I'm sure there are more "important, day-to-day" penalties that can be imposed.

I'll wait for the missus to wake up and ask her again. I'm sure they involve health care and education.

OK, asked my wife yesterday about the penalties. There don't seem to be any related to education, but she wasn't sure if the 30 Baht healthcare could be refused.

What's a bit more nebulous is the attitude of the authorities if you don't vote. So, if you have to have dealing with,say, your amphoe or thetsabaan, they won't be particularly helpful. Similarly, the police keep a record of non-voters on their central computer, so they won't help too much either.

The general attitude is that if you havn't helped your country by voting, then we're not going to do much for you.

These computer records are a bit sinister, asuming that it's true.