Learning Thai In Chiang Rai

jubby

I'm trying to think of the best way to learn Thai here. I know there's a Thai Language Forum and I'll be having a look there. I've noticed there's a place off Jetyod advertising lessons, anyone used them or know of any others.

Anyone have any tips on learning ? .

In theory it should be easy to just go the full immersion way, unfortunately this being Chiang Rai, I'm totally immersed and totally confused in a Mixture of Issan, Lanna, Burmese, Akka, Pidgeon English and a few others, maybe even urduu for all I know. Very little Thai is spoken around me. The Children Speak Thai at school but a mix of english, Lanna and the odd Thai word with friends. The Wife speaks Issan to her family, Lanna to the rest of the Village and a language only my wife and I understand based on a Northern English Diallect laced with expletives to me.

Please Help :o ........... :D

Sorry you are beyond help. I suggest a psychiatric clinic for linguists.

But, others have tried YMCA, AUA and there is another thread here regarding private lessons that were highly recommended a while ago. Search the old threads in the Chiang Rai section and you will find what you need.

Thanks again Goski,

I did ofcourse search unsuccesfully before posting . I can now refine my search criteria.

... ........ Psychaitrist :o ........... you may have hit the nail on the head. any good ones in Chiang Rai ? English speaking ones of course :D

Thai uni student wanting to improve his English skill and wish to teach Thai in return.

โกะ (Koh) 0871915437 [email protected]

These 2 are not free lessons.

Wow you're in an environment of various languages. Personally to me it seems if you can speak Kham Muang or Isaan (Lao) good it will not be as hard to learn standard Thai. They all belong to the same family only different by region and of course many words are not always shared to all but in most common they do only with different accents.

But if you want to be able writing Thai script you should learn the standard Thai before trying other dialects.

Still you can see the differences if you know the language better (one or another). Some example is often in Kam Muang and Isaan (Lao) doesnt speak with R but with H. Standard Thai use R for the most part.

Rak in standard Thai mean love in lower tone while kam muang speak with higher tone, isaan (lao) speak somewhere between standard Thai and kam muang tone and Huk for broken in middle tone is use by all groups.

Rao standard Thai mean us, me/i while kam muang and isaan (lao) speak as Hao in middle tone.

Roo standard Thai mean knowing while kam muang and isaan (lao) speak as Hoo in higher tone and Hoo for ear(s) in lower tone is use by all groups.

Hope you dont get confused. Once you learn any of these language you can guess them out easier. Tai-Kadai speakers is intelligible to one another often more then 50%.

Edited by konjianghai

konjianghai, My Kids thrive in the environment.

unfortunately I don't have the same learning abilities anymore.

I realise Lanna & Lao are similar to thai but when I hear a local speaking them I can't recognise a single word.

Atleast when I hear Thai spoken I can recognise the words and so stand a chance to learn.

I think it would be easier if more thai was spoken around me.

maybe I need to watch Thai TV 24x7 :o

Don't fret! I don't understand some people from my own province in my homecountry so foreign people having troubles with dialects in Thailand should be forgiven. Standard central Thai is the way to go which most people can switch to if they have any education higher than kindergarden.

• 5 months later...

I don't know of anyone in Chiang Rai doing this, you may need to do a Google search for Thai schools offering an education visa with the course. I'd also ask in the teaching subforum here, there may be someone who knows.

I'd say it would be offered in Chiang Mai.

In CM they have Walen School (new to CM, but longtime Thailand language school that offers help/assist in getting Edu visas. A Thai Visa sponsor).

Lots of schools in LOS, google it. But I don't know if any offer online or correspondence courses.

I have a feeling you have to physically show up at least 2 or so days a week, to qualify. Maybe I'm wrong; just an assumption on my part.

Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

You can't believe how pleased I am to know there are people who will still buy genuine software in this dishonest age. B)

I own an original Rosetta Stone Thai language program but it is in storage back in the home country. A lot of good it is doing me there. But if I recall correctly, the price was around 6,000 baht.

Back in the day I wanted a Voice Recognition Software program for writing/typing. They were about $600 at the time.

I happened to be in Singapore for a few weeks and noticed it in sale on the other side of the causeway for a dollar a disk. :o