Renewing Thai Drivers License

stevenl

I just renewed both my car and motorbike drivers license. I already had a 5 year license.

required were:

original passport + 2 copies of visa page and main page;

doctor's statement, I got mine from Chusak in Kata, there is also one 2 minutes from the DL office;

address confirmation from immigration + 1 copy;

expired drivers licenses.

First registration, after that reaction test, colour test, another colour test, after that payment and making pictures.

All easily finished in 1/2 day, costs 860 Baht for DL's + 220 baht for pictures. I came in the morning, it was very budy, my guess is that the afternoon would have been much quieter.

I just renewed both my car and motorbike drivers license. I already had a 5 year license.

required were:

original passport + 2 copies of visa page and main page;

doctor's statement, I got mine from Chusak in Kata, there is also one 2 minutes from the DL office;

address confirmation from immigration + 1 copy;

expired drivers licenses.

First registration, after that reaction test, colour test, another colour test, after that payment and making pictures.

All easily finished in 1/2 day, costs 860 Baht for DL's + 220 baht for pictures. I came in the morning, it was very budy, my guess is that the afternoon would have been much quieter.

Thanks for the update!

Do you know if they have an afternoon session? The last time I went I had to wait practically all day, and I don't think they had two sessions.

Open from 08.30-15.30. There are no real sessions (at least not for renewal), so next time (in 6 years, for some reason I received 2x six years) I'm thinking of arriving somewhere around 13.30.

Open from 08.30-15.30. There are no real sessions (at least not for renewal), so next time (in 6 years, for some reason I received 2x six years) I'm thinking of arriving somewhere around 13.30.

Thanks for the info, my 5 years expires this year also.

hallo stevenl

I am surprised you received a 5 (6) years driving licence, as recently I had to extend my 5-year Thai car driving licence but it was refused as I could only get a one (1) year only. this was in Rong Kwang office in cangwat Phrae.

I am interested, how did you organise your 5 years??

hallo stevenl

I am surprised you received a 5 (6) years driving licence, as recently I had to extend my 5-year Thai car driving licence but it was refused as I could only get a one (1) year only. this was in Rong Kwang office in cangwat Phrae.

I am interested, how did you organise your 5 years??

Hi.

Did you make sure your license was expired before you renewed it? Not before or on the same day as the expiry date.

A friend of mine did the same thing in Bangkok. Had a 5 years license and renewed it a couple of days before it expired. He too only got a year on the new one. When he asked why, he was told that he would have gotten a five year license if he had come a day after the expiry date.

Cheers

Nana

hello LivinginKata and Nana,

thanks for the hint, I belief last time I had an expired Thai driving licence and I had to redo the theoretical multiple choice test. to my surprise I received a new one for 5 years.

this last time I made sure I was some weeks before expiring to renew it and to me surprise it was not allowed for 5 years

but only for one year.

good hint next time renewal will be done some days after expiring, see whether that helps

Yeah you dont get a 5 year unless the other ones expired..

Also you get 5 years and up to your next birthday IIRC.. So thats how some people have almost 6 years issued.

Excellent anecdotal information here that confirms that you should wait until your current license (1 year or 5 years) has expired before applying for a new 5 year one.

I also got a license for nearly 6 years validity as I went a couple of months after my birthday! :D

In fact, since they expire on your birthday, most of them should be valid for nearly six years if you wait a few days before applying. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a one year temporary Driving License from Phuket which expires this month. Can anyone advise what the procedure is transferring it to a normal Thai Driving License. Noted that you shouldn't go before the license has expired.

I've got a one year temporary Driving License from Phuket which expires this month. Can anyone advise what the procedure is transferring it to a normal Thai Driving License. Noted that you shouldn't go before the license has expired.

I think it's all explained very well in post #1 of this topic ..... :) Just the same procedure..

I think it's all explained very well in post #1 of this topic ..... :) Just the same procedure..

I thought you didn't need to do all the tests again. I'll have a search through the motoring section if no-one can confirm.

Thanks but I thought you didn't need to do all the tests again converting from temporary driv license? Will have a search through the motoring section and see what I can find if no-one else can advise.

I've just looked at the pinned thread in the motoring section, well the first few pages. It is 18 pages long. The pinned section at the top (presume Mods would change if it is wrong?) states all the above from posting #1 along with a few other things like photocopies of certain pages of the passport. No mention of doing the tests again and says specifically that you do NOT need a medical certificate again.

ThaiVisa applying for 1 & 5 year Thai driving license

However post #59 contradicts this and says you don't need all this stuff, just expired license, passport and 2 photos.

Can appreciate that maybe some centres operate a little different to others. If anyone has recently converted their temporary 1 year license to a 5 year, would really appreciate some confirmation - cheers.

Note: I'm talking about the first "temporary" license.

You say you already have a driving license, not sure what you mean by 'temporary'. Never heard of hat term before. I guess you mean it's your first license which is only issued for one year. So the procedure described in post #1 is exactly the same whether have license valid for one year or on subsequent 5 year license. So you need all the documentation already described and I believe you need to take a colour test and reaction test (on computer).

You say you already have a driving license, not sure what you mean by 'temporary'. Never heard of hat term before. I guess you mean it's your first license which is only issued for one year. So the procedure described in post #1 is exactly the same whether have license valid for one year or on subsequent 5 year license. So you need all the documentation already described and I believe you need to take a colour test and reaction test (on computer).

I converted my International Driving Licence to a temporary Thai driving licence last year in May. Had to do the tests then (passed), and medical certificate and proof of address required. The license says: top right hand corner: Driving License. Underneath that No. xxxxxxxx. Type: Temporary Car. Told to "convert" it to a permanent license the following year.

I converted my International Driving Licence to a temporary Thai driving licence last year in May. Had to do the tests then (passed), and medical certificate and proof of address required. The license says: top right hand corner: Driving License. Underneath that No. xxxxxxxx. Type: Temporary Car. Told to "convert" it to a permanent license the following year.

I'm quite sure what has been described above would apply for your license 'renewal'... Let us know how you get on..

Okay, I've just googled as I'm not getting anywhere and found these two pages relating to getting a temporary license and then converting it to a 5 year permanent license. (Hope it's okay to post these links, if not, please delete them and apologies.)

5 year license

Getting 1 year temporary license

I get the feeling this is more up to date info as they mention the fact that you do NOT need photographs. That was the case when I went to get the temporary license in 2008. Something no-one seems to mention anywhere is the fact that you must have your shoulders covered for the picture. I and some other ladies in sleeveless tops were told to go get something more suitable for the pic. Thought I'd been miraculously transported to the Middle East :) .

LivingInKata, I know you're not moderating the motoring section, but can you tell someone that it would be nice to have an up-to-date link on the license regulations maybe at the top of the motoring section? There is a pinned link but it's currently 18 pages long and life's too short y'know. Would be nice to have one page (updated from time to time as the rules change).

I'll revert back on here how it goes anyway so you can hear from the horse's mouth so to speak. Will be going at end of May.

LivingInKata, I know you're not moderating the motoring section, but can you tell someone that it would be nice to have an up-to-date link on the license regulations maybe at the top of the motoring section? There is a pinned link but it's currently 18 pages long and life's too short y'know. Would be nice to have one page (updated from time to time as the rules change).

I've just sent PM to the responsible Mod suggesting that the initial post be edited with an update.

I've never heard of temporary or permanent licences, just one year or five year.

My 5 year is all in Thai, except for my name. Does yours say "Type: Temporary Car" in English?

At top right, mine says: "ชนิด รถยนต์ส่วนบุคคล" which translates to: "Type Private car"

No mention of temporary or permanent.

The 1 year is temporary (I am fairly sure it says this but dont have one any longer) in Thai wordage but 'provisional' might be a better description.

Hence you cant get an IDP on it, and some insurers wont insure fully comp on it also..

Edited by LivinLOS

Mine definately has "Type: Temporary Car" in Thai and english.

Got it June last year. I plan to go and see them before renewing for my 5 year to find out exactly what is required.

There is a nice middle aged lady on the front counter who speaks a little english and is happy to help.

You guys are correct! :)

I managed to find a photo of my old 1 year license, and the "type" is "รถยนต์ส่วนบุคคล ชั่วคราว" which translates as "Private car temporary".

So apart from the additional "ชั่วคราว" (temporary), it is identical to my 5 year license and has nothing in English other than my name.

Although I havent yet changed.. I understand they are now in English script..

And the 1 year isnt really identical.. As it doesnt convey the same rights.. Looks similar sure, but so does a 'diving license' or even a video store rental card to a Thai copper :)

Although I havent yet changed.. I understand they are now in English script..

And the 1 year isnt really identical.. As it doesnt convey the same rights.. Looks similar sure, but so does a 'diving license' or even a video store rental card to a Thai copper :D

:D Yes - I meant "identical looking" :)

Actually, the 5 year one has a generally pinkish background, with a dark pink background at the top where the number and type are printed. The 1 year is light blue all over.

Got it June last year. I plan to go and see them before renewing for my 5 year to find out exactly what is required.

There is a nice middle aged lady on the front counter who speaks a little english and is happy to help.

I want to upgrade my one year to a five year now that it has expired.

I went yesterday at 2pm (very crowded) and found the lady in question who was helpful.

Passport and WP photocopies in hand she said the only thing missing was a medical cert.

I didn't have one.

So I will go back on Tuesday as today and Monday are holidays.

I'm doing mine at end of May - I'll put a posting on this thread after I've done it, with details.

Turned up this morning at 8 a.m. with photocopies of passport/visa, WP and a doctor's cert. and joined the very long queue at the first counter which deals with license renewal. The other queue near the one stop door is for first time applications. Despite the length of the queue it moved quite fast as there were many people missing a document or whatever. I was given a number and told to wait. After a while the same women called numbers 1 to 10 and I re-queued. I signed a piece of paper and gave my phone number and then went into the one-stop office where I paid 555 baht and was given another number. After 5 minutes a photo was taken and another 110 baht handed over and hey presto 5 minutes later a smart plastic card was handed to me. All in all it took just over an hour and I now have a 5 year Thai driving license. Hope this will help other TV members about to do the same.