Renewing Thai Drivers License

stevenl

Okay looks like baabaabobo has beaten me to it. Just converted my 1 year temporary license to a 5 year (and a bit more) permanent license. No much to add to baabaa's posting. The first queue you go to is actually marked Queue 2 and is the first queue as you walk in.

We didn't have a long wait at this one, only a couple of people in front, but the queue at the One Stop Service centre was verrry looooong. Whole thing took about an hour and a half for us.

Not sure about these colour schemes Jetset. Ours has white background much the same as the temporary one, but the permanent one has the License number on a purple background. Maybe colour coded? Though of course I do know that today is a Pink day :)

...Not sure about these colour schemes Jetset. Ours has white background much the same as the temporary one, but the permanent one has the License number on a purple background. Maybe colour coded? Though of course I do know that today is a Pink day :D

:D Possibly different provinces have different colours or it depends on whether the printer is running out of ink? Maybe other members can say what colour theirs is/are.

Here's a bit from the top of my 5 year license. Maybe "pink" isn't the right colour - "dark pink"?, "light purple"? :D

gallery_35489_952_2310.jpg

Anyway, congrats on getting the license. :)

• 1 month later...

Here is my experience of renewing my 5 year licence, last Friday in Phuket, 26th June & the expiry date was 17th June.

I arrived about 10.30am & approached the information counter on the left as you come in the door. She muttered something about joining a group of expats who were watching a video which started about 30 minutes before but I was focused on ensuring I had the right paper work considering I left copies of passport & WP at home but I had the originals with me. She pointed to a photocopy machine & had the relevant copies made, 1st page & visa page in passport, 1st 3 pages plus page with relevant stamp in WP. I was then told to go upsatirs for an eye test.

The eye test proved to be a bit more. There were 4 tests in all. A reaction test on braking, a depth of perception test, check for colour blindness, a peripheral vision test (this involved placing your nose on a bridge so your eyes are in the correct position but surely has to be a brilliant way to spread influenza 2009 considering the number of noses which must have gone before).

It was now just before 12 noon & I was informed I had to come back at 2pm to watch the video which turned out to be 50 minutes long & I had to watch it by myself in a non air conditioned room. Had I been on the ball, as my GF took great pleasure in telling me (because I would not listen to her earlier), I could have watched it in the morning in air conditioned comfort & only would have had to see the last 20 minutes.

After the video presentation I went to counter 1 & was given a number which was called about 20 minutes later & I paid Baht 505. I then had to go into another room & given another number. It was called fairly quickly & had to pay Baht 100 for a photo. After a further 5 minutes I was presented with my new licence which expires on 17th June 2005, nearly 6 years.

I had doctor's certificate with me but it was not required. The new licence is solid plastic & looks quite different to my previous one.

Here is my experience of renewing my 5 year licence, last Friday in Phuket, 26th June & the expiry date was 17th June.

I arrived about 10.30am & approached the information counter on the left as you come in the door. She muttered something about joining a group of expats who were watching a video which started about 30 minutes before but I was focused on ensuring I had the right paper work considering I left copies of passport & WP at home but I had the originals with me. She pointed to a photocopy machine & had the relevant copies made, 1st page & visa page in passport, 1st 3 pages plus page with relevant stamp in WP. I was then told to go upsatirs for an eye test.

The eye test proved to be a bit more. There were 4 tests in all. A reaction test on braking, a depth of perception test, check for colour blindness, a peripheral vision test (this involved placing your nose on a bridge so your eyes are in the correct position but surely has to be a brilliant way to spread influenza 2009 considering the number of noses which must have gone before).

It was now just before 12 noon & I was informed I had to come back at 2pm to watch the video which turned out to be 50 minutes long & I had to watch it by myself in a non air conditioned room. Had I been on the ball, as my GF took great pleasure in telling me (because I would not listen to her earlier), I could have watched it in the morning in air conditioned comfort & only would have had to see the last 20 minutes.

After the video presentation I went to counter 1 & was given a number which was called about 20 minutes later & I paid Baht 505. I then had to go into another room & given another number. It was called fairly quickly & had to pay Baht 100 for a photo. After a further 5 minutes I was presented with my new licence which expires on 17th June 2005, nearly 6 years.

I had doctor's certificate with me but it was not required. The new licence is solid plastic & looks quite different to my previous one.

Did it on friday too. But i want to ask another thing. How much did you pay for the health certificate and for the address confirmation at immigration? I paid 200 baht at Patong hospital for the first and 100 at immigration for the second (no receipt). Are those the right prices?

Address confirmation at immigration has always been free.

Of the three times I've gotten an address confirmation, the first time I was charged 100 baht, and the other two times, there was no charge. Not so coincidently, my wife was with me the two times I wasn't charged.

I got my medical certificate at Mission Hospital for Baht 120 but I was not required to show it nor was I asked for an address confirmation from immigration. All they did was ask if I was still at the same address shown on my WP. There is a medical facility near Robinsons which would probably be relatively cheap if you really need a certificate as few years ago I got one there for Baht 50.

Of the three times I've gotten an address confirmation, the first time I was charged 100 baht, and the other two times, there was no charge. Not so coincidently, my wife was with me the two times I wasn't charged.

I'm in the process of applying for 3 things at the moment, a (first time) Drivers Licence, Boat Licence, and Boat Registration. Transpires that I need an original copy of the Residence Permit (from Immigration) for each of these applications, which the official in the office happily supplied FOC (Madam also present), though I'd heard about the 100 baht scam before.

My wife was with me on friday at immigration office. I ask you this question because the lady asked the money outside of the office in a "conspiratory" way and as i told you, no receipt. At Patong hospital i was actually visited by a doctor, but my wife told me that Thay normally pay 30 baht for that paper. The only satisfaction is that both the certificate at he hospital and the issue of the driving license were done at light speed with a cost of about 10% if compared to my country and 0,1% of the time perhaps...so i am happy anyway, for this time, even if i shouldn't be.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Immigration office today to submit an address confirmation form and without batting an eyelash, the lovely Ms. Sgt Major asked for 400 baht.

I flinched a little and handed it over (of course without any receipt)

Five or so years ago when I submitted the address confirmation form in Chiang Mai it was free

Times must be getting tougher for government employees.

I went to the Immigration office today to submit an address confirmation form and without batting an eyelash, the lovely Ms. Sgt Major asked for 400 baht.

What !!! That's very very naughty. It's supposed to be free. I don't mind paying the 100 baht as they make all the photocopies, and the lady officials are full of smiles. 400 baht... no way. If I was asked for that, I would complain and refuse any payment.

• 3 weeks later...

What !!! That's very very naughty. It's supposed to be free. I don't mind paying the 100 baht as they make all the photocopies, and the lady officials are full of smiles. 400 baht... no way. If I was asked for that, I would complain and refuse any payment.

I spent all day last week to get my driver's licenses (motorcycle and car) renewed, a very exhausting process.

Started off with address verification. Have to go upstairs at the Immigration office for that. Had to return home to get the original tabian baan of the place I live, actually my own house but in my wife's name, and she was along. The 90-day report receipt slip I had thought to use as evidence, obviously does not count in their own office. When copies of tabian ban and my wife's ID in hand it was done very quickly by the friendly officer. Asked whether there was a fee, he said "up to you" so I gave him 100 baht.

So far so good, then try to find a doctor's office for the Health Certificate. Got it. Then off to the driver's license office. There you are given an application form at the free-standing desk in the hall by the friendly lady, and she checks you have all the relevant copies. She ignored the doctor's certificate, only wanted copies of the relevant passport pages (I am retired have no work permit), address verification and the old driving licenses. Any copies you do not have already you can make at the copying machine behind her along the wall. Then I had to hand the sheaf of papers at counter 1, and pay my money. By that time it was close to lunch time and I had to wait to watch that obligatory movie in the afternoon. Rather useless for a farang because it isd all in Thai. In the room they sent me into were all taxi drivers and the movie was slanted towards them.

After the movie thing's seemed a bit disorganised, but eventually they gave me the sheaf of papers to go upstairs for the 4 tests. Luckily I was at the beginning of the queue now, also had had time to familiarise myself with the test equipment while the room was empty, everybody being away for lunch. This was important to me, as I have no stereoscopic vision, one eye is bad, and also, while not actually colour blind, have problems with some reds and greens. No problem on the road, as the greens and reds on traffic lights are quite pronounced, and the green is always on the bottom (or sometimes on the left side). The first test is the colour test, the lady points to a coloured circle on her small chart, and from where you sit about 3 m away you have to tell her whether it is green, red or yellow. Not that easy, as the circles are very small and you are relatively far away, and some of the circles are already coloured partly blue from the ballpoint pen she is using in pointing. But then if you have memorised the posititon of the various circles on the larger identical chart on the wall beforehand, it makes it easier. Second test: reaction test, you put your foot on the gas pedal and quickly change to the brake pedal when the light turns red. Third test, distance judging test, and for that you need stereoscopic vision, which I do not have. I judge distance by size. Actually better for night driving. With the use of a string you pull you move a rod to the same position, distance-wise from you as another stationary one. Well, on that one, I had tried that out before during the lunch hour and found that you could place the rod opposite the other by judging on the length of play in the string. So what do they do with people who fail that test? Fourth test, judging red green or yellow in peripheral vision. That was no problem, but I ask myself what have the colours to do with that? Is it for the drivers who are running red lights?

Then back down to get a number and wait for the actual issuing of the licence. By this time it was after 4 pm. and with the number of people waiting I figured on another return next day. I actually offered to return, because I was already exhausted. but was assured they would issue the license(s) today, please wait. And indeed, by close to 5:30 pm I was called up, picture taken, license spewing out of their automatic machine and off home.